WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11606)

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-18-2009 11:08 AM

Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt

I finally gave some time to listen to this album, and I have to say, it's some pretty good stuff. With Infernus being in jail and all for "gross negligent rape", he said himself that this stuff was very atmospheric and isolationist in its nature. To get straight to point, it definitely is just that. There are definitely some tracks that jump out and hit you, such as "Prayer" and "Aneuthanasia", but then there are some totally out there tracks, such as "Rebirth" and "Building A Man" (still awesome though). The latter two songs have riffs that could easily be in Turisas/Amon Amarth songs given some different production and the more melo-death vocals. "New Breed" starts out with this real catchy riff then transcends into this real appropriate sliding riff of sorts, then goes into some mad true black metal trem pickage action. This song stuck out to me due to the different styles of riff that Infernus went about to write, something that I usually find lacking in black metal releases (most of it is just tr00 trem picking with same voice and blast beats all over the place and poor attempts at sounding atmospheric and dark).

On a minor tangent, I really liked Gaahl's voice, regardless of his asshole personality concerning the lawsuit and "retiring from metal" (which is so exponentially stupid). That being said, I was wondering how Pest would sound since he hadn't recorded with Gorogoroth for a long time now, and I must say Pest's vocals are great. It totally made me forget that Gaahl was even in the band in the first place, and he definitely can hold a candle and keep his place in the Gorogoroth sound.

Continuing, "Cleansing Fire" has a nice beat going to it in the beginning, and it continues to execute itself in the traditional Gorgoroth style, minor chords and it all. This track is a solid representation of what the album is going for in the first place, atmospheric at points and then really fast and POW-in-your-face kind of thing. "Human Sacrifice" immediately kicks in with an awesome riff/blistering double bass that grabs your attention, then it goes into a cool, mid-tempo melody that feels like an anthemic headbang moment. What's funny is one of the things I thought upon hearing the first moments of this song is "Wow, if a metalcore band were to write this, it would be regarded as total fail". I hate metalcore just as much as the next guy, so before flaming comes in saying "err fag, bring teh metalc0rez out of tr00 black metalzz", let that be aware. Hearing this and a bunch of other stuff just sometimes make me think that some of metalcore is really not as awful as we portray it to be, its just the vocals are pretty gay (which there's no compensation for). Just my :2cents: on that. Back to the review :D

"Satan-Prometheus" is overall [I][B]that[/B][/I] black metal song, the very atmospheric song with minor chords, very dissinent and epic. Some great riffage comes out during the "operatic" part, makes the song very...awesome. Got no fancy words on that one :lol:. Being that it's practically the last real song on the album, it's a perfect ending to the album, epic and anthemic in its respect. The album truly ends with "Introibo ad Alatare Satanas" though, and the track provides a totally awesome ending, super doom like with some creepy Latin going on. Definitely sounds like it could be on a fucking Sabbath record from back in the day, it's perfect. It's a great compliment to "Satan-Prometheus", and it makes me say: This album is kickass, a great return to form for Infernus and Gorgoroth as a whole. Please listen to this album if your interest lie in this circle, it's very good stuff to say the least. Give it a listen yourself!
[IMG]http://lordmikkel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/gorgoroth-quantos_possunt_ad_satanitatem_trahunt-300x300.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: Standout tracks for me are "Aneuthanasia", "Prayer", "Human Sacrifice", and "New Breed". Just in case someone needs starters :D

mankvill 10-18-2009 11:22 AM

awesooooome :D

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-18-2009 11:25 AM

:rocker:

bassmasta257 01-02-2010 08:42 PM

i agree with pretty much all you said, when i first got this i was a bit sceptical about how it would be, and i personally dont care a whole lot for Aneuthanasia (i dont hate it or anything) so i was even more sceptical...BUT the rest of the album is PERFECT!!!!! :horns: