PDA

View Full Version : Lamb of God -- Los Angeles, CA -- April 3rd, 2009

b_halperin
04-04-2009, 01:35 AM
What a long-ass day! I arrived outside the Hollywood Palladium at 12:00 to get front row view for me and my friends. While there I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew (andrew_metalhead) from this website.

Around 6:00, they finally let us in. Me and my friends rushed to the front and got great spots.

At 7:00 sharp, Virginia thrashers Municipal Waste took stage. They did just what I expected them to do. They thrashed and got the hell out of there. Literally their set was 20 minutes long. The crowd didn't seem into them. 'Nuff said.

Next up was God Forbid. I had the least expectations for them, and to say the least I was really impressed by their live musicianship and the relationship that they build with their crowd. I happened to see the setlist. I read it like this.
1. Anti-hero
2. War of Attrition
3. Shallow
4. Force Fed
5. The Sea

Next up, a band which I had no clue what to expect. I was blown away with the crowd response and quality of DevilDriver's set. I really enjoyed it and will definetely try to catch them when they come back to the US to promote the new album.

Finally, the show was about to begin, at least I believed so. Children of Bodom strolled out with a hilariously explicit intro and went right into the set. I had very high hopes for these Finnish metallers and can only describe their performance as dissapointing. Maybe they had an off-night, maybe Alexi was drunk as fuck but they just didn't come through for me.

Drum roll fucking please!! My favorite band was about to come on. Due to the intensity and sweatiness of trying to keep the front spot on the barricade, my friends and I bailed and decided to go into the pit. Here is the setlist, it is very Wrath heavy, which made me very happy. It was great to see so many of the new songs played live, but of course that means they had to cut some of my old favorites (11th Hour, Again We Rise, Vigil, Omerta, Pathetic, Descending)

Setlist: (Probably not in order as I have terrible memory, but all the songs are here)
1. The Passing
2. In Your Words
3. Set to Fail
4. Walk With Me in Hell
5. Hourglass
6. Now You've Got Something to Die For
7. Dead Seeds
8. Grace
9. Laid to Rest
10. Ruin
11. Broken Hands
12. Blacken the Cursed Sun
13. Contractor
-------------------------------------------
14. Reclamation
15. Redneck
16. Black Label

For the second time in a row, I regretfully did not participate in the Wall of Death during Black Label. I would have loved to, but halfway through that set I was sick to my stomach. When I was walking out of the venue I puked all over the place. Whether it was lack of sleep, food, energy, or whatever, I just felt horrible. But once I puked it was alright and I kept moving. Lamb of God continues to be the best live act I've ever seen. They didn't miss any one beat of their song. They really do have their shit together. I'm proud to call them my favorite band. I can't wait to see them again I hope they come back soon!

Overall it was a great night and it was TOTALLY worth waiting 6 hours in line for!!

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 01:37 AM
hey man u r fuckin fast! u posted it already! fuck u beat me to it :D

anyway, awesome fuckin show man.. really was! I'm so glad they took my song request and played Contractor :rocker:

Absolutely loved Bodom. Every minute of it. And I also got Alexi's pick!!!!
GF and MW were ok. Lamb of God were amazing! New songs sound kickass live!! I got hold of their set list too.

And thanks again for letting me in line man .. and hey sorry to hear about your sickness man! Do take care. Rest well!!

BTW correct setlist :

Passing
In Your Words
Set to Fail
Walk with me in Hell
Hourglass
Something to Die For
Ruin
Dead Seeds
Blacken the Cursed Sun
Grace
Broken Hands
Laid to Rest
Contractor
Reclamation
Redneck
Black Label

xStructualDefect
04-04-2009, 01:42 AM
dam im really dissapointed i didnt go to this
i was looking forward to this for months but couldnt get the money and my friends backed out
ohh well im pretty sure LOG will tour again this year since Wrath just came out
and i just saw COB a few months ago on the headlining tour so i shouldnt be complaining
but ive been wanting to see DD for awhile since i havent seen em since late 07 w/ KsE and LOG but eh oh well

does anyone know COB or DD's set? or how long they played?

666ways2love
04-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Municipal Waste
1.Sadistic Magician
2.The Thrashin Of The Christ
3.Headbanger Face Rip
4.(New Song)?
5.Mind Eraser
6.(New Song)?
7.Beer Pressure
8.Unleash The Bastards
9.Bangover

Children Of Bodom
1.Silent Night, Bodom Night
2.Hate Me!
3.Hellhounds On My Trail
4.Living Dead Beat
5.Angels Don't Kill
6.Bodom Beach Terror
7.In Your Face
8.Blooddrunk
9.Downfall

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 01:44 AM
dam im really dissapointed i didnt go to this
i was looking forward to this for months but couldnt get the money and my friends backed out
ohh well im pretty sure LOG will tour again this year since Wrath just came out
and i just saw COB a few months ago on the headlining tour so i shouldnt be complaining
but ive been wanting to see DD for awhile since i havent seen em since late 07 w/ KsE and LOG but eh oh well

does anyone know COB or DD's set? or how long they played?

DD - 8.20 to 9.05
COB - 9.25 to 10.05

And COB's setlist was same as the recent European ones. Can't remember the exact order of songs but the usual ones were on their list. Loved every fuckin minute of Bodom!! :rocker:

xStructualDefect
04-04-2009, 01:50 AM
thnx alot
hmm the Bodom set is decent
the LOG set doesnt look too bad considering Wrath is good but not very familiar with all the songs

oh well still would have been a killer show to see

SilentSoldier144
04-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm disappointed with the Bodom setlist. Yet again I miss out on Hatecrew Deathroll (same as Gigantour last year). Songs like Living Dead Beat, In Your Face and Hellhounds On My Trail are played out to my ears by now.

SilentSoldier144
04-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Also, Devil Driver played? I thought As I Lay Dying was the other support? If so, anyone know their setlist?

b1indedbyfear
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Lamb of God needs to get a new set. They have played the same set since Ashes of the Wake came out. Just throw in new songs and play the same old thing. Need some suprises in there sometimes.

mankvill
04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Municipal Waste
1.Sadistic Magician
3.Headbanger Face Rip
4.(New Song)?
5.Mind Eraser
6.(New Song)?
7.Beer Pressure
8.Unleash The Bastards
9.Bangover

Children Of Bodom
2.Hate Me!
3.Hellhounds On My Trail
4.Living Dead Beat
5.Angels Don't Kill
6.Bodom Beach Terror
7.In Your Face
8.Blooddrunk
9.Downfall

:fist: looks good

Wizzbang11
04-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Municipal Waste
1.Sadistic Magician
3.Headbanger Face Rip
4.(New Song)?
5.Mind Eraser
6.(New Song)?
7.Beer Pressure
8.Unleash The Bastards
9.Bangover
l

Eh, thats not much of a Waste set. I'm glad I didn't spend money on it, they were the only band I wanted to see there (unless ST actually ended up playing)

No Terror Shark, Born to Party, anything off Waste 'Em All? :(

New songs would be interesting though...

neck666face
04-04-2009, 11:17 AM
i like bodom's and municipal waste sets
bodom kinda sticks to the big songs when they
open for bands thats why theres no hatecrew
im surprised to not see 'born to party'
on municipal waste setlists thats like the ultimate live song

b_halperin
04-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Also, Devil Driver played? I thought As I Lay Dying was the other support? If so, anyone know their setlist?
As I Lay Dying cancelled the first 5 shows due to the guitarist adopting a child from Ethiopia. Devil Driver was the support act for Los Angeles, and the Suicidal Tendencies are handling the other 4 dates.

b_halperin
04-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I was waiting in line, around 1:30, Chris Adler (Drummer from LOG) strolls by, like no big deal. He said hi to everyone, was very calm, and I even got a great picture with him. He is so cool and remains my favorite drummer.

TonyD
04-04-2009, 12:26 PM
(unless ST actually ended up playing)

They are, so get your ass up here.

300%_Density
04-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Seriously was that all God Forbid got to play or were there some songs missing? I was hoping for a longer set even though I know most don't care for them but I really do and was hoping for a longer set. I dont like that As I Lay Dying gets a longer set just b/c they are more popular w/ the kids. I may be in the minority that thinks that.

666ways2love
04-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Eh, thats not much of a Waste set. I'm glad I didn't spend money on it, they were the only band I wanted to see there (unless ST actually ended up playing)

No Terror Shark, Born to Party, anything off Waste 'Em All? :(

New songs would be interesting though...

they didn't play 'born to party' however at the beginning and end of bangover they did the infamous 'Municipal Waste is going to f*** you up!!!!'

SerpentineVIVIVI
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
That LOG set is brutal, now Im going to try even harder to see them....

rjturtle9
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
this show was a bad experience for me and a good one too. the people there were dicks. it took me 30 min. to get into the floor.
bodom was very uncomfortable in the beginning and i couldn't see shit. and some chick was getting pissed cause i was headbanging!!! so i left to the side and enjoyed bodom from there
i really enjoyed lamb of god though. i had a good view with little crowd around me to be dicks. wall of death was sick too

TonyD
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
they didn't play 'born to party' however at the beginning and end of bangover they did the infamous 'Municipal Waste is going to f*** you up!!!!'

Good enough for me

HeartOfADragon
04-04-2009, 02:48 PM
this show was a bad experience for me and a good one too. the people there were dicks. it took me 30 min. to get into the floor.
bodom was very uncomfortable in the beginning and i couldn't see shit. and some chick was getting pissed cause i was headbanging!!! so i left to the side and enjoyed bodom from there
i really enjoyed lamb of god though. i had a good view with little crowd around me to be dicks. wall of death was sick too

Dude, I tried so hard to find you when DevilDriver started, me, my friends, and a bunch of other people rushed the security guards and got right on the floor haha. Shit was intense. I was almost up front during Bodom, and was in the wall of death for Lamb of God. Shit was scary haha

mzinn85
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I think you meant The Rain in godforbids setlist, because I have never heard of The Sea. I hope COB setlist stays the same length, I fear it maybe longer because AILD are not on the tour yet. DD should have played after COB in my opinion.

b_halperin
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Seriously was that all God Forbid got to play or were there some songs missing? I was hoping for a longer set even though I know most don't care for them but I really do and was hoping for a longer set. I dont like that As I Lay Dying gets a longer set just b/c they are more popular w/ the kids. I may be in the minority that thinks that.

They played approximately 25 minutes. So many people who I met there were huge haters of the success of As I Lay Dying being up high on the bill, as am I. So many people there were relieved that Devildriver was substituting.

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
They played approximately 25 minutes. So many people who I met there were huge haters of the success of As I Lay Dying being up high on the bill, as am I. So many people there were relieved that Devildriver was substituting.

yea exactly. i like GF a lot .. but didn't go too crazy during their set .. was saving the energy for COB and LOG :D

300%_Density
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Just b/c GF has sold as much as AILD I would figure being around since '96 (I wikipedia'd it... :)) and having as many albums as they have that could get them more than 25 minutes. I saw AILD once and they weren't bad but they just sound so metalcore ordinary. Atleast God Forbid has tried to experiment a little bit... some good... some bad but still better off than AILD. Maybe losing Dallas 25 mins works better. Still lookin forward to them anyway!!!!

b_halperin
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I think you meant The Rain in godforbids setlist, because I have never heard of The Sea.

That was the one title which me and my friend were having a very hard time reading. It was definetely "The ____ "

TonyD
04-05-2009, 12:20 AM
They're both water, close enough.

mankvill
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
They're both water, close enough.

ST setlist so I can go to bed, plz.

metalmilitia54
04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Children Of Bodom
2.Hate Me!
3.Hellhounds On My Trail
4.Living Dead Beat
5.Angels Don't Kill
6.Bodom Beach Terror
7.In Your Face
8.Blooddrunk
9.Downfall

Dammit Bodom, I've seen them a few times, and I've never gotten Silent Night, Bodom Night!! Apparently, the first time I saw them, they may have played it but I wasn't into Bodom at the time so I didn't know the songs yet and if they did play it I couldn't recognize it! Meh, I'll have to catch them next time. They need to bring out some "Something Wild" material!! LAKE BODOM!!!

Snoogansflip
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
darn..i was really hoping GF would play "to the fallen hero"..it's one of the only songs by them i really like and i was pretty sure they would play it cause it's really good, but i guess not =[

GameFreac
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Man I wish they weren't playing Bodom Beach Terror...now I'm gonna feel sorta bad for missing this. Oh well.

HeartOfADragon
04-07-2009, 03:14 AM
The show was dope, I went insane during Bodom, but I really wish they had played Hatebreeder, or Red Light in My Eyes....Something really old. But they rocked the shit, nonetheless. Lamb of God were amazing too. The wall of death had me sore for a couple days :rocker:

jhdeity
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Love the LOG setlist but can't believe they're not playing Fake Messiah live. That song resonates through my head for hours after every listen. Musically it's not as intricate as some other Wrath songs but the lyrics and vocals are brutal and would kill live. I'm not seeing them until May in Baltimore so I'll start barraging them now. hahahaha

Does anyone else think Wrath is the best album released by any band in the last 5 years? With the 3 bonus tracks it's a total masterpiece to me.

:rocker:

mankvill
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone else think Wrath is the best album released by any band in the last 5 years?

:barf:

andrew_metalhead
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
:barf:

:lol:

but its certainly LoG's best IMO \m/

JRA
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Me thinks the Bodom setlist should look like this:

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Smile Pretty For The Devil
Hatebreeder
The Nail
Kissing The Shadows
Angels Don't Kill
Blooddrunk
Downfall

mankvill
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Me thinks the Bodom setlist should look like this:

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Smile Pretty For The Devil
Hatebreeder
The Nail
Kissing The Shadows
Angels Don't Kill
Blooddrunk
Downfall

come on, it has to have In Your Face. That song is so fun live.

Indestructible
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone else think Wrath is the best album released by any band in the last 5 years? With the 3 bonus tracks it's a total masterpiece to me.

:rocker:

i agree
though i dont have the 3 bonus tracks

b_halperin
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
sacrament vs. wrath

Opinions?

300%_Density
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
To be honest I really dont think that Sacrement even touches Wrath. The first half of Sacrement is pretty good but drags on the 2nd half. Wrath from top to bottom is pretty brutal while it seemed like Sacrement was a little to polished and produced.

b_halperin
04-08-2009, 06:31 PM
To be honest I really dont think that Sacrement even touches Wrath. The first half of Sacrement is pretty good but drags on the 2nd half. Wrath from top to bottom is pretty brutal while it seemed like Sacrement was a little to polished and produced.

for me it's a 50/50 draw as of now. Call me a fanboy, but i love every single song on both of the albums. wrath's complexity defeats sacrament, but sacrament is more catchy and headbang-worthy. For me it's a complete draw, but I'll continue to think about it.

300%_Density
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
To me the shear fact that LOG is only playin 3 songs off of sacrement now speaks a little bit even though Im not comparing that # to the amount they play off of wrath b/c i realize they are promoting that album but it seemed to me even when they toured for Sacrement they didn't play as many Sacrement songs for the Sacrement tour but playing several Wrath songs for the Wrath tour. Although I think the Wrath songs would play a little better live than the Sacrement songs. I would still take some subpar LOG over other stuff anyway though.

UR555_IM666
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey anyone catch the Vancouver show April 8th at UBC? I think we were shorted 3 songs...? LOG was AWESOME!!!! Didn't think the other bands got much volume...could hardly hear the vocals! Too bad Vancouver didn't get Devil Driver...we got As I lay Dying!

BTW - Britney Spears fans...we had enough POT to cover YA!!!

b_halperin
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Too bad Vancouver didn't get Devil Driver...we got As I lay Dying!

thats too bad, they're great performers. They'll probably play near you when they're supporting their upcoming album.

mankvill
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
thats too bad, they're great performers. They'll probably play near you when they're supporting their upcoming album.

they're headlining this year's Thrash and Burn

b_halperin
04-09-2009, 11:34 PM
they're headlining this year's Thrash and Burn

the euro tour??

mankvill
04-10-2009, 05:23 AM
the euro tour??

American.

b_halperin
04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
American.

hmm. its not on their website. when willl the tour take place and do u know what other bands are on the bill?

b_halperin
04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/3205_71944058569_660773569_1630771_7880896_n.jpg
chris adler and me

i met him around 1 oclock he was walking outside the venue.

hes really cool and I was in shock after I met him hahaha

b_halperin
04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
i also forget to add: a picture of the show

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/3205_71944063569_660773569_1630772_6905303_n.jpg

Metal Legend
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey anyone catch the Vancouver show April 8th at UBC? I think we were shorted 3 songs...? LOG was AWESOME!!!! Didn't think the other bands got much volume...could hardly hear the vocals! Too bad Vancouver didn't get Devil Driver...we got As I lay Dying!

BTW - Britney Spears fans...we had enough POT to cover YA!!!

When I caught them out in Phoenix, they played 19 songs 7 cut it back to 16 with LA the following night. The songs they removed were Decending, Omerta & Vigil. When I see them in Detroit May 6, I expect it to be the 16 song show. Hopefully when I see them at GrasPop in June they'll pull some other songs out. www.graspop.be It's One HELLUVA European Festival Experience! :horns:

b_halperin
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
When I caught them out in Phoenix, they played 19 songs 7 cut it back to 16 with LA the following night. The songs they removed were Decending, Omerta & Vigil. When I see them in Detroit May 6, I expect it to be the 16 song show. Hopefully when I see them at GrasPop in June they'll pull some other songs out. www.graspop.be It's One HELLUVA European Festival Experience! :horns:

any idea why they played more in pheonix?

bunghole
04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Municipal Waste ... The crowd didn't seem into them. 'Nuff said.

what a shitty crowd :jima:

jhdeity
04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
I agree Sacrament doesn't even touch Wrath. I actually like Ashes of the Wake & As the Palaces Burn more than Sacrament personally. I need the speed and faster songs and Sacrament plods along too often for my taste. Plus lyrically it is ungodly repetative and simplistic at times. Even Redneck falls victim to these things even though I really like the song.

Wrath is a total masterpiece. It encompasses the best of their early work and the different compositions of Sacrament. The time changes and riff structures are some of the best my ears have ever heard. The 3 bonus tracks (found on torrentportal if anyone wants them) are solid but the last one Condemn the Hive should have made the cd. It's one of my favorite LOG songs. The others are called We die alone and Shoulder of your God which I think may have been on the memory stick if you bought the vinyl package.

Several people called Sacrament their South of Heaven where they switched directions and that's a fair analogy but if so, Wrath is their Reign in Blood. The pinnacle album of their career that they will always be remembered for. When it's all said and done Wrath will be remembered as one of the best cd's ever made in my not so humble opinion.

May 11th can't get here soon enough!

b_halperin
04-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I agree Sacrament doesn't even touch Wrath. I actually like Ashes of the Wake & As the Palaces Burn more than Sacrament personally. I need the speed and faster songs and Sacrament plods along too often for my taste. Plus lyrically it is ungodly repetative and simplistic at times. Even Redneck falls victim to these things even though I really like the song.

Wrath is a total masterpiece. It encompasses the best of their early work and the different compositions of Sacrament. The time changes and riff structures are some of the best my ears have ever heard. The 3 bonus tracks (found on torrentportal if anyone wants them) are solid but the last one Condemn the Hive should have made the cd. It's one of my favorite LOG songs. The others are called We die alone and Shoulder of your God which I think may have been on the memory stick if you bought the vinyl package.

Several people called Sacrament their South of Heaven where they switched directions and that's a fair analogy but if so, Wrath is their Reign in Blood. The pinnacle album of their career that they will always be remembered for. When it's all said and done Wrath will be remembered as one of the best cd's ever made in my not so humble opinion.

May 11th can't get here soon enough!

All of their albums are on the same level for me: godly.

you have no clue how hard it was to rank. nag introduced them to america. atbp confirmed their introduction. aotw made them famous. sacrament made them very famous. Wrath made them quite possibly one of the most famous metal bands ever to exist. imo they have only improved over time. nag was a masterpiece, and so is wrath, but im probably saying that cuz they're my favorite band. My point is their whole carreer will be remembered more than the album Wrath.

jhdeity
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Very true but all bands seem to be defined by an album or an era. If you go to a Slayer show and ask every person there what their favorite Slayer album is I'd think close to half would say Reign in Blood. I personally love Hell Awaits also but Reign is their crowning moment and that's what Wrath is to me. Every album LOG puts out after this will be compared to Wrath. That's what I meant.

The newest trend (started by Dio I think) is bands playing their best albums in their entirety at shows. 1st Dio doing Holy Diver and now I heard Queensryche is doing the entire Rage For Order this tour and Judas Priest is doing British Steel in it's entirety. Not that British Steel is their best album but just making a point.

I'm already longing for the day LOG plays Wrath in it's entirety if it ever happens. I'd be the assclown screaming for Condemn the Hive while people are going WTF? hahahaha

bunghole
04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Reign in Blood is probably the definitive Slayer album, though I think Show No Mercy is the best

b_halperin
04-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm already longing for the day LOG plays Wrath in it's entirety if it ever happens. I'd be the assclown screaming for Condemn the Hive while people are going WTF? hahahaha
i wanna see aotw in entirety. we got pretty close to seeing all of wrath. only exclusions were "Fake Messiah," "Everything to Nothing," and "Choke Sermon" plus bonus tracks.