Butcher of Birth
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Tour: Somewhere Back in Time Tour, Final Show
Headliner: Iron Maiden
Support: Lauren Harris
Venue: Bank Atlantic Center, Ft. Lauderdale, USA
Date: April 2nd, 2009
Attended With: es156, Jeremysaal

The story must begin on February 9th at around noon. I was home sick and felt terrible. I had stuff flying out both ends. I got on my laptop and did my average surfing and I ended with Blabbermouth. I almost re-shit my pants when they had a headline reading “Iron Maiden Announce Florida Show”. Those words have only been said locally as a joke and we always felt to be the butt of the Iron Maiden world, and then we get the last show of this Historic and Monstrous tour… Words can’t describe the personal feeling…

So I ended up talking to kids around campus and some of my teachers about the show. 2 of the English teachers I’ve had have seen Maiden and both love them for their lyrical content, so they debated going because of work. And over time, more and more people were getting interested. The forums were all raging with people saying they’d be there, and it was awesome seeing so many people from all over the world coming over, to my home, to see Maiden! Started the week before Maiden I edited the desktops of the computers of my school with Maiden Countdowns; I really made sure people knew about the show even if they didn’t know who Maiden was (Iron what? Right es156? Haha)

The night before Maiden I couldn’t sleep, it was like trying to sleep knowing you’ll wake up and you’ll experience something that will forever change you, and it was so immense and looming, sleep took a long time to occur. I woke up and took my shower, and my two friends arrived at 11am and we were off south on the road. We picked up two more, making the total 6 (My Dad, Me, and 4 Friends). 2 and a Half hours later we arrive at the arena and we were SHOCKED to see maybe only 50 people there at around 3 o’clock. We made our way to the line and I remember talking to Jeremysaal and he said he was tall bald and would have a Mexico shirt on. As soon as we walk up to the line, he arrives just ahead of me and I recognized the description, but I wasn’t going to outright say “Hey dude, are you Jeremysaal from Metalsetlists?”, that was a little too much for me so we progressively got to talking and I found out both es156 and Jeremysaal were there so it was nice, good conversations.

The turning point of the day was when es156 was sizing up the crowd and he turns to me and says “Man… With this many people we should get close to the barrier at least. So it shouldn’t be too bad.” To which I replied “Oh… I don’t have floor tickets…” The shocked face he had after that was priceless “Are you kidding me? You have been here this long for basically guaranteed seats? That’s dedication!” So we later found out this also my 1st time ever seeing Maiden and that led to a ::Fist Pump:: haha.

As the lines started to form for entry, I stayed to talk to some people I met from the Seattle Area. They told me this long tale of how they bought Floor tickets that never came, so they were voided, but those tickets finally arrived and they brought them. They offered me one, just to chance it, and IT WORKED! Well sort of… The lady scanned my “void” ticket and it was void, then on my toes said “Oh try this one…” I took out my real ticket, and she scanned it… It seemed like forever, about 5 seconds later it gave me the green check, and I was in to see Maiden for the 1st time ever, on the floor! After that you can guess that the show was awesome and everything was amazing.

It was great hearing from Bruce in front of the sold out show that Maiden will be back in 2011, and that we weren’t forgotten. The Florida date was filled with so many people from around the world. There were more people OUT of State/Country then people from Florida, but hey, good for them for traveling and seeing Maiden with us Floridians haha. With a few little mess up’s with the Stage and Audio aside, the show was flawless and Cracks my Top 5 Greatest Shows List!

--SETLIST--
01. Aces High :rocker:
02. Wrathchild
03. 2 Minutes To Midnight
04. Children Of The Damned
05. Phantom Of The Opera
06. The Trooper :uk:
07. Wasted Years :) (Dave Murray Face)
08. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner :light:
09. Powerslave
10. Run To The Hills
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Hallowed Be Thy Name
13. Iron Maiden (Giant Mummy Eddie!)
--Encore--
14. The Number Of The Beast :rocker:
15. The Evil That Men Do :rocker: (Cyborg Eddie!)
16. Sanctuary

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 06:04 AM
This new set list is still so gay compared to the old one. I have to say, deep down I was upset I didn't have the spare money to make the trip down for this, I knew a lot of people going, and both shows I already saw were fantastic.

mankvill
04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
This new set list is still so gay compared to the old one.

no u

SilentSoldier144
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
No, he's right. This set list doesn't compare to the setlist they used last year. Closing with Sanctuary alone is a big NO NO.

Fe Maiden
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
This set list doesn't compare to the setlist they used last year. Closing with Sanctuary alone is a big NO NO.Yes, the setlist used in 2008 was a bit better! And I agree about Sanctuary:hecho:

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
like I said, my biggest complaint is just the fact that with the 5 songs they took out and the 5 songs they put in, they got so far off of the purpose of the tour. One song from SIT and one song from Seventh Son = rip off. This tour set list just became "The Best of Maiden 1980-1992: Featuring Powerslave". More proof Maiden just likes to take the easy way out.

DethMaiden
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I wish so much that Toronto and Cleveland (and the rest of that leg) would have gotten Wratchild. To put KILLERS on the bottom of the poster and play nothing from it is kind of a rip off.

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I wish so much that Toronto and Cleveland (and the rest of that leg) would have gotten Wratchild. To put KILLERS on the bottom of the poster and play nothing from it is kind of a rip off.

Dude fuck Wrathchild. If I need to see one song off of Killers, I'd much rather see the title track, Murders in the Rue Morgue, or, impossibly, Purgatory. Wrathchild is one of the lamest, most overplayed songs Maiden have ever made.

DethMaiden
04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude fuck Wrathchild. If I need to see one song off of Killers, I'd much rather see the title track, Murders in the Rue Morgue, or, impossibly, Purgatory. Wrathchild is one of the lamest, most overplayed songs Maiden have ever made.

Overplayed, perhaps (though I'm 0-for-2). But it is not lame, it is punchy, has a great bassline, and is an upbeat, fun, punky song that Maiden have so few of.

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
is an upbeat, fun, punky song that Maiden have so few of.

Thank god.

DethMaiden
04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank god.

Haha. See, this comes down to pure opinion. You admit that I have accurately described the song. I like it for those reasons. You dislike it for those same reasons. Agree to disagree.

UNTIL I FIND HIM I'M NEVER GONNA STOP SEARCHING, GOING TO FIND MY MAN, GONNA DRIVE AROUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND.

ADD
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
They should really just play Wrathchild at every show cuz it's so short and they obviously wouldn't need to rehearse it much. And it's a fucking great song :fist:

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
They should really just play Wrathchild at every show cuz it's so short and they obviously wouldn't need to rehearse it much. And it's a fucking great song :fist:

I don't think length has anything to do with it, which is sad. I'm pretty positive that Maiden are one of those bands that plays an arbitrary set of songs, regardless of length. If every song Maiden played was 5 minutes or less, they would still only play 16 or 17 songs, it's just the way they are, aka predictable and lazy.
Maiden are downright annoying when it comes to most of their set lists. They have a 14 album discography, packed with great songs that almost any true fan would enjoy hearing live. However, seriously about 70% of their discography is simply "off limits". There is practically no chance of the songs ever getting played live, again or for the first time. It's just shit. Take a god damn chance once in a while.

Butcher of Birth
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Ofcourse I would have loved some of those 1st Leg songs, but after the show I talked to some people (ex. The Seattle Boys) and they told me it was ten times better, both in Crowd Reaction and Band's Preformance.

When you are in the moment and in the crowd and a few feet from Steve Shooting you, you forget what they aren't playing, but rather what they are and are awaiting whats next. You get Caught Somewhere In Time. ;)

mankvill
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Fuck last years setlist.

Can I Play With Madness is not a great song.
Heaven Can Wait sucks.
The Clairvoyant and Revelations are missed, however.

But I'd way rather have Wrathchild, Phantom Of The Opera, and The Evil That Men Do.

JRA
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't help but feel that Maiden33 is slowly becoming the boards new EvilCheeseWedge. :eyes:

I mean, I like Wrathchild. But saying its overplayed compared to the rest of the Killers album is like saying The Trooper is overplayed compared to the rest of the Piece Of Mind album. Dude Iron Man is overplayed as shit, doesn't mean it isn't a killer song. Just as Wrathchild and The Trooper are.

That being said, Sanctuary needs to go away and never, ever, ever come back. Little known fact: before the Powerslave tour, the final encore of every Maiden show was Prowler.

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
First I want to say that I saw the band twice on this tour. Once about 4 GA rows back, the other on the rail. Both shows were absolutely amazing, but it's against my nature to just be overly agreeable and think that just because I had a great time, there can't possibly be anything wrong.

Bottom line:

Old set list: 9 songs from the period the tour is supposed to represent, including one song that had only been played on the tour for the album, 20 years ago (Moonchild).
New set list: 6 songs from the period of the tour supposed to represent, 4 of which are from the same album, 2 of which have been played on countless tours since the time they were released, as recent as the last studio album tour. (The Evil That Men Do, 2 Minutes to Midnight).

The point of these themed hits tours are to highlight some great songs that the band doesn't get a chance to play on a regular basis, focusing on certain areas of their career. By the time they got around to this leg, they opened with Aces High and played Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Big fucking deal.

JRA
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Honestly, comparing the two bands, Maiden could take a lesson or two from Metallica in regards to setlists, with both new and old stuff. Metallica, rather than dumping the entire album on fans (at fitting move to Lars's ego if there ever was one) decided to pick 6 songs they would like playing the most. Then wait around to see what new and old songs fans wanted to hear. Sure enough, a month or two down the road they got All Nightmare Long, My Apocalypse, Fight Fire With Fire, Trapped Under Ice and a shit ton of others.

If that were Maiden, they'd have to do a big tour announcement for each song (remember that "A Matter Of Life and Beast" tour and all they did was drop a few AMOLAD songs and bring out Children Of The Damned and Run To The Hills? Fucking bullshit!)

How awesome would it have been if one night of the AMOLAD tour looked like this:

Different World
These Colors Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Killers
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
For The Greater Good Of God
The Evil That Men Do
The Longest Day
Wasted Years
The Reincarnation of Ben Breeg
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
==========
Aces High
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Sanctuary

...and another night looked like this?

Caught Somewhere In Time
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
Wrathchild
Out Of The Shadows
Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
Run To The Hills
Lord Of Light
The Reincarnation Of Ben Breeg
Alexander The Great
2 Minutes To Midnight
Iron Maiden
=============
Be Quick or Be Dead
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I'll tell you exactly what would happen. Everybody would be happy. The people who wanted to hear most of the new album would be happy, the people who wanted to hear the classics would be happy, and the people who wanted to hear rare stuff would be happy.

(and best of all, neither of the setlists look like something Lauren Harris puked up after a night of underage binge drinking!):D

hot_turkey_ed
04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I couldn't make Florida. Nonetheless, I would have been thrilled with the set list. Nitpicking two Maiden set lists like this is no different than bitching about the imperfections between two super models.

:ugly:

Spiral_Slave
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Fuck all this bitching, the show was absolutely incredible.:blaze:

mankvill
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
the period the tour is supposed to represent

goddamn, it may be called "Somewhere Back In Time" but they've said from the beginning it's based more off of the World Slavery tour in both setlist and stage design, ergo, four songs from Powerslave, and a smattering of others from the 80's.

you're just a jaded fanboy :finger2:

Butcher of Birth
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I couldn't make Florida. Nonetheless, I would have been thrilled with the set list. Nitpicking two Maiden set lists like this is no different than bitching about the imperfections between two super models.

:ugly:

Yeah I spoke with the guys who said you weren't gonna be there. Man, it sucks. Hoping to see you there.

TonyD
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Yes, yes, and no.

I don't know if the Ozzfest dates had a rotating set list, but we got Murders. I'd still like to see Killers.

PowerMaiden
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I vote to ban Maiden33 !

at least change your nick name buddy, you don't deserve to have those letters (Maiden) on you :finger:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ijwthstd
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't think any of those songs could be considered "played out" in Florida and most of the other places they played on this leg.

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I can't see a problem with this set. It's about 40% 'regulars' and 60% stuff they don't usually play! It's balanced, is what it is.

Div
04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
stop bitching you dorks, its a fucking maiden concert, you're supposed to forget all that nerdy nitpicking bullshit and just roll with it and have a good time!

i am surprised they took clairvoyant and revelations out, however, because i knew some people who never saw maiden that were looking forward to see it. but thats no reason to start throwing the band under the bus about.

looking forward to seeing them next year!

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I vote to ban Maiden33 !

at least change your nick name buddy, you don't deserve to have those letters (Maiden) on you :finger:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Suck it, fanboy. The only way to show love for a band isn't just to kiss their ass and assume everything they do is the best.

Maiden33
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I can't say it enough. There's a difference between cutting down the band as a whole and just citing something you don't like. I saw this tour twice, both shows were amazing. I understand the fact that when you're at a show, you don't care what's being played, you are just having a great time. However, the 99.9% of my life I spend not at Maiden shows, it is painfully obvious to me that their set lists are usually nothing but the most absolutely dull kind of bland. As I said, they have 14 studio album discography, and about 75% of it will never ever be played live again or for the first time, even though there's no good reason why. There's no reason why Maiden can't make a set list that contains a few "essential" hits for the people that want them, a bunch of new songs from whatever the would-be new album is, and a handful of rarities for the die-hard fans who don't want to pay expensive prices to see the same songs over and over again. Also, I understand the tour production value doesn't allow for much of this, but a night-to-night rotation of a couple of songs wouldn't kill them, either.
Maybe I just take offense to this tour because Somewhere In Time isn't only my favorite Maiden album, but one of my favorite albums ever made, and this tour seemed like it was finally going to get its due, as it is easily one of the most overlooked classic Maiden albums in the live environment. Instead Maiden gives us the big commercial hit and the one song that actually managed to survive in their standard live set for an extended period of time. These specific hits tours are supposed to give the band a chance to highlight some great songs they don't normally get to play. It seems like a total waste to me to just throw it away on the most boring and predictable choices they possibly could have made, Moonchild aside... but oh wait, they dropped that.

Butcher of Birth
04-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I see where you are coming from, I too LOVE Somewhere in Time, but the name of the Tour aside, it was always said to be a Greatest 80's Hit Tour. Idr ever seeing it being billed as "We play rare songs we hardly if EVER played." I also read it was in support of the Live After Death DVD, which this tour played most of the songs featured on that DVD. You had the 4 Powerslave Songs, the World Slavery Set, and the tour shirts... oh yeah... Powerslave-ish.

They do play some rare songs, just not always, you just don't have the luck of catching those shows.

This was a tour designed for the 80's songs, just like the "Eddie Rips Up The World Tour" was designed for the 1st 4 album songs. Next tour, you never know what you are gonna get. They may drop a lot of the songs you say are over played, but in the end, stop picking at what doesn't work for you, because it seems to work for the masses. The wants of the few do not out weigh the needs the many lol.

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 12:35 AM
yea fuck the bitching. the ones who bitch already know what the set is gonna be, still they get some kind of enjoyment in bitching again and again in every fuckin thread.

Best fuckin show i've ever seen, and will ever see in my life :rocker:

I was on the rail towards the left, in front of Dave, Adrian and Steve. Sung along and made eye contact with Steve for each and every word. He gave me his wrist band in the end too :)

And by the way, they were supposed to do a second encore. thats why the house lights were not turned on immmediately after Sanctuary. they were out of time (11 o clock curfew) thats why they decided to wrap it up. otherwise they usually play an extra song on the last show of a tour. anyway, unbelievably fuckin awesome show!!!!! It was worth the long(ish) flight from LA :)

PowerMaiden
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
:metal:

Cheers !
Power:666:Maiden

jeremysaal
04-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Tour: Somewhere Back in Time Tour, Final Show
Headliner: Iron Maiden
Support: Lauren Harris
Venue: Bank Atlantic Center, Ft. Lauderdale, USA
Date: April 2nd, 2009
Attended With: es156, Jeremysaal

Hey man! Great to meet you in Florida! What an awesome show! Your first Maiden show was one of my personal favorites. Ignore all of the negativity on this post (as I see that you have) and take pride in the fact that you were in a sacred place. The set list was awesome. This was my third show from this leg (4th) and I had more fun there than I did at at the other two. The crowd kicked ass, along with the band! Nothing beats jumping up and down to Phantom Of The Opera and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Plus we were just a couple of people off the rail!

Thanks again for helping me up after I tried for my second Nicko stick of the night! I almost had that one too, but some punk next to me tried to snatch the drumstick that I already caught and had possession of. I earned a couple of new bruises for that stick!

Man, that place was so damn hot! Everyone did well though and fortunately, I didn't see anyone pass out.

Your dad was cool! He knew his metal and was proud to be there with his people!

We will all have to do this again sometime!

Have a good one!

Jeremy :powerslav

rjturtle9
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
wow i'm late on this!!

first off, stop making maiden33 look like darth vader on this thread. he has a damn good point. i have boots from pretty much every maiden tour ever and yes they have gotten lazy with the set. i'm not even going to come close to lying, i loved the forum and irvine shows, and i wish i could have been at the flordia show, but still, the set still lacks some.

and for those of you who don't know, this tour wasn't only centered around live after death, but also maiden england being re-released, but that never happened. so this tour should have gotten more powerslave-seventh son material.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 12:16 PM
wow i'm late on this!!

first off, stop making maiden33 look like darth vader on this thread. he has a damn good point. i have boots from pretty much every maiden tour ever and yes they have gotten lazy with the set. i'm not even going to come close to lying, i loved the forum and irvine shows, and i wish i could have been at the flordia show, but still, the set still lacks some.

and for those of you who don't know, this tour wasn't only centered around live after death, but also maiden england being re-released, but that never happened. so this tour should have gotten more powerslave-seventh son material.

Thank you. :fist:

jeremysaal
04-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Best fuckin show i've ever seen, and will ever see in my life :rocker:

I was on the rail towards the left, in front of Dave, Adrian and Steve. Sung along and made eye contact with Steve for each and every word. He gave me his wrist band in the end too :)

Man, we must have been right by you. We were behind the tall guy with the black Maiden hat on backwards and the big guy with the shaved head. We were between them and the fine looking woman with the blue maiden soccer jersey on. Man, if we knew, we would have smacked you on the head or something!

Have a good one!

JRA
04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
wow i'm late on this!!

Except Maiden England never got re-released.

IrritatedTrout
04-04-2009, 02:13 PM

It will get released, since this tour is over Maiden will most likely take a long break and then begin work on an album. How do you keep the buzz about a band going during such a long downtime? Release Maiden England. Rod Smallwood and the band know what they're doing. Just wait and see, it will come out.

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Man, we must have been right by you. We were behind the tall guy with the black Maiden hat on backwards and the big guy with the shaved head. We were between them and the fine looking woman with the blue maiden soccer jersey on. Man, if we knew, we would have smacked you on the head or something!

Have a good one!

right on!! yea the hot girl with the blue jersey was just behind me .. you were a couple of rows behind me then :)

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 02:48 PM
wow i'm late on this!!

fuck that. every Maiden set is awesome thats why they are my favorite band I would go see them no matter what songs they play :rocker: :rocker:

rjturtle9
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Except Maiden England never got re-released.

i said that already

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
i said that already

lol yea me too. the Birmingham show right?

rjturtle9
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
lol yea me too. the Birmingham show right?

yeah

jeremysaal
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
right on!! yea the hot girl with the blue jersey was just behind me .. you were a couple of rows behind me then :)

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded getting behind that woman! :D

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Ah yeah, that reminds me. When I saw them at Izod in March '08, a pretty good looking girl asked me to put her on my shoulders. I gladly obliged. Ah, the joys of being tall and stocky.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
By the way, since Maiden England was brought up, I feel that it is a perfect example to help prove my earlier point. The track listing of Maiden England:

1.Moonchild
2.The Evil That Men Do
3.The Prisoner
4.Still Life
5.Die With Your Boots On
6.Infinite Dreams
7.Killers
8.Can I Play With Madness
9.Heaven Can Wait
10.Wasted Years
11.The Clairvoyant
12.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
13.Number of the Beast
14.Hallowed Be Thy Name
15.Iron Maiden

By today's standards, this set list is preposterous. Still Life and Die With Your Boots On as the two Piece of Mind tracks, in the absence of the Trooper. Killers instead of Wrathchild. The Prisoner's inclusion in general instead of various other more "eligible" songs. You see my point. Maiden never pull awesome surprises like this anymore. It's always just the most absolutely boring, obvious song(s) from any given album.

SomewhereInTime72
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Die With Your Boots on was played in '03. :D

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Die With Your Boots on was played in '03. :D

Yes it was, I didn't say it wasn't. But it was played alongside Revelations and The Trooper, and I would bet you a small fortune that if they decided to drop one of the 3, DWYBO would've gotten the axe first. It's also important to remember that Give Me Ed was a "hits" tour, thus room in the set list for shit like that in addition to the generic stuff, as opposed to an album tour.

rjturtle9
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
It's always just the most absolutely boring, obvious song(s) from any given album.

there is no absolutely boring maiden song :mad:
but the second part is true.

i just see it this way. maiden will play around 16 songs in the set.
Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, and Hallowed Be Thy name are guaranteed at every show. so is the trooper, fear of the dark, iron maiden and either Can I Play With Madness or The Evil That Men Do are also never going to go away. now for this past tour this doesn't count, but for any average album tour, they would play 6 songs from the album, usually the first track first. so there is 13 songs already. usually they will put running free and/or sanctuary at the end. which leaves room for only 1 or 2 other songs. but those are usually not rarities. if you don't call this lazy, then you are a blind fool. i understand that maiden kicks ass and they are my favorite band just like most of you here on this website, but come on, it doesn't take much to understand that they are not the best band when it comes to song selection.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
there is no absolutely boring maiden song :mad:
but the second part is true.

i just see it this way. maiden will play around 16 songs in the set.
Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, and Hallowed Be Thy name are guaranteed at every show. so is the trooper, fear of the dark, iron maiden and either Can I Play With Madness or The Evil That Men Do are also never going to go away. now for this past tour this doesn't count, but for any average album tour, they would play 6 songs from the album, usually the first track first. so there is 13 songs already. usually they will put running free and/or sanctuary at the end. which leaves room for only 1 or 2 other songs. but those are usually not rarities. if you don't call this lazy, then you are a blind fool. i understand that maiden kicks ass and they are my favorite band just like most of you here on this website, but come on, it doesn't take much to understand that they are not the best band when it comes to song selection.

Well I meant boring as far as the song's status goes. It's always the most predictable song from a popularity perspective (ie Heaven Can Wait, as opposed to something like Stranger in a Strange Land).
And honestly, I think even less of the set is reserved. The band actually did the right thing and decided to temporarily can RTTH and NOTB on the 2006 tour.
There's no reason why Maiden can't pull 6 "classics", 6 new tracks, and 4-6 more rare songs. No one's asking them pull out something they've never played, but something like the aforementioned Stranger in a Strange Land, or The Prisoner, something like that. There is absolutely NO good reason why this couldn't, or shouldn't happen.

mankvill
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
awesome

Opinion. Your point is void.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Opinion. Your point is void.

Good to know you're coming to the table with an open mind, analyzing my argument. Do you mind even showing me where you pulled that from? I realize there's a difference between fact and opinion, and I realize that at the end of the day my stance here is totally opinion-motivated. However it is NOT an opinion that Maiden tend to pick the most absolutely predictable songs to play live. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not my fault fanboys don't have a problem with that.

mankvill
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Good to know you're coming to the table with an open mind, analyzing my argument. Do you mind even showing me where you pulled that from? I realize there's a difference between fact and opinion, and I realize that at the end of the day my stance here is totally opinion-motivated. However it is NOT an opinion that Maiden tend to pick the most absolutely predictable songs to play live. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not my fault fanboys don't have a problem with that.

Predictability =/= not good

so I fail to see the problem here. They didn't say this was a tour based on Somewhere In Time, so you shouldn't have expected those songs.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Predictability =/= not good

so I fail to see the problem here. They didn't say this was a tour based on Somewhere In Time, so you shouldn't have expected those songs.

I am tired of people thinking that this tour was only supposed to be about Powerslave. No it wasn't. This tour was supposed to be the next phase of the "History" tours, focusing on 1984-1989, aka Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son... just as the Early Years tour focused on their work through Piece of Mind. Sure, they chose to design the stage set to look like Powerslave, but that wasn't the only album the tour was supposed to highlight. My point isn't that any one album got screwed, it's that the song selection from this tour (especially the "new" set) didn't do nearly as good of a job as it should have, arguably because Maiden almost always just goes for the most predictable songs. And yes, predictable DOES mean bad, at least it does to me when you are trying to remain interesting.

By the way, SBIT tour poster: (note the Eddies on the sides)
http://www.ironmaiden.cl/sitio/tour2008/poster2008.jpg

mankvill
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Predictability may mean bad to you, but let's face it: Iron Maiden isn't exactly pandering to fans like you.

Iron Maiden has songs that are played at almost every concert, just like almost any other band in existence. Iron Maiden has Trooper, RTTH, NOTB, maybe Hallowed? Metallica has Sandman, Master Of Puppets, Nothing Else Matters; Judas Priest has Breaking The Law, Green Manalishi, You've Got Another Thing Comin'; etc. Almost every Maiden fan wants to hear the big hits. There's not enough people like you to warrant a tour where Alexander The Great or Still Life, because they aren't as well known.

Maybe they'll announce another "early days (or so)" tour where they DO focus on shit like that. But to say that this leg's setlist is shit and that the first was un-shit is just...shit.

tl;dr: Heaven Can Wait sucks, Phantom Of The Opera rules.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Predictability may mean bad to you, but let's face it: Iron Maiden isn't exactly pandering to fans like you.

Iron Maiden has songs that are played at almost every concert, just like almost any other band in existence. Iron Maiden has Trooper, RTTH, NOTB, maybe Hallowed? Metallica has Sandman, Master Of Puppets, Nothing Else Matters; Judas Priest has Breaking The Law, Green Manalishi, You've Got Another Thing Comin'; etc. Almost every Maiden fan wants to hear the big hits. There's not enough people like you to warrant a tour where Alexander The Great or Still Life, because they aren't as well known.

Maybe they'll announce another "early days (or so)" tour where they DO focus on shit like that. But to say that this leg's setlist is shit and that the first was un-shit is just...shit.

tl;dr: Heaven Can Wait sucks, Phantom Of The Opera rules.

Christ, are you even reading what I'm posting? I never said Maiden should play no hits. I said that there's absolutely no reason why they can't have room in a set list to play a half dozen "hits" (for the sake of argument: Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper, and Run to the Hills), play a half dozen songs off of the new album they're supporting, which they already normally do, and then, instead of filling the other 4-6 slots in the set with predictable "secondary hits", play songs that haven't been played on countless tours before, giving the people that don't want to hear the same shit over and over what they want. That is THE solution. Predictable hits for the people who want them, less popular songs for the people who want them, and a chunk of new songs which should be there regardless. Everyone wins. That's all I'm suggesting.

Oh, and Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, and The Trooper are not songs Maiden HAS to play at every show. Until the Bruce reunion, Run to the Hills had even ever been played live very much as a whole. The Trooper wasn't done on a couple of tours in the past, specifically the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son tours. All three of these songs weren't played on the 2006 US tour for A Matter of Life and Death, which was, in my opinion, the best set list decision Maiden have made in the last 10 years.

JRA
04-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I am tired of people thinking that this tour was only supposed to be about Powerslave. No it wasn't. This tour was supposed to be the next phase of the "History" tours, focusing on 1984-1989, aka Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son... just as the Early Years tour focused on their work through Piece of Mind. Sure, they chose to design the stage set to look like Powerslave, but that wasn't the only album the tour was supposed to highlight. My point isn't that any one album got screwed, it's that the song selection from this tour (especially the "new" set) didn't do nearly as good of a job as it should have, arguably because Maiden almost always just goes for the most predictable songs. And yes, predictable DOES mean bad, at least it does to me when you are trying to remain interesting.

By the way, SBIT tour poster: (note the Eddies on the sides)
http://www.ironmaiden.cl/sitio/tour2008/poster2008.jpg

I agree with all of this.

I've posted this before, but I like it so much I'm posting it again! :D This would have been the perfect setlist for this tour IMO (even if it doesn't have Stranger In a Strange land :tongue).

ACES HIGH
THE TROOPER
CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
WASTED YEARS
FLIGHT OF ICARUS
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO
RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
POWERSLAVE
CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIME
KILLERS
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
RUN TO THE HILLS
THE CLAIRVOYANT
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
IRON MAIDEN
====================
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
HALLOWED BE THY NAME

mankvill
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Okay, I see what you're saying.

But to say that this set is "so gay" compared to the old one is fucking retarded.

Maiden33
04-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I agree with all of this.

I've posted this before, but I like it so much I'm posting it again! :D This would have been the perfect setlist for this tour IMO (even if it doesn't have Stranger In a Strange land :tongue).

ACES HIGH
THE TROOPER
CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
WASTED YEARS
FLIGHT OF ICARUS
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO
RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
POWERSLAVE
CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIME
KILLERS
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
RUN TO THE HILLS
THE CLAIRVOYANT
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
IRON MAIDEN
====================
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
HALLOWED BE THY NAME

we're more or less on the same page, but I personally would've gone for something like this:

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
Number of the Beast
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Killers
Stranger in a Strange Land
22 Acacia Avenue
Phantom of the Opera
The Clairvoyant
Iron Maiden
========================
Caught Somewhere In Time
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I feel it's a perfect cross-section of songs that defined the 1984-1989 era (including a few super-rarities of sorts (though they have all been played live)), and songs from the first 4 albums that are great (including a few that the band doesn't traditionally play live).

andrew_metalhead
04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
oh my goodness the bitching still goes on .. and on .. and on.. and oooooooooooooooon

IrritatedTrout
04-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Saw the FL show and it was amazing but I gotta admit, the two setlists a few posts up would require me to change my pants if Maiden actually played them.:D

TonyD
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
oh my goodness the bitching still goes on .. and on .. and on.. and oooooooooooooooon

lol
I hope you're referencing what I think you are.

andrew_metalhead
04-05-2009, 12:07 AM
lol
I hope you're referencing what I think you are.

lol yea yea :D

rjturtle9
04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
we're more or less on the same page, but I personally would've gone for something like this:

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
Number of the Beast
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Killers
Stranger in a Strange Land
22 Acacia Avenue
Phantom of the Opera
The Clairvoyant
Iron Maiden
========================
Caught Somewhere In Time
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I feel it's a perfect cross-section of songs that defined the 1984-1989 era (including a few super-rarities of sorts (though they have all been played live)), and songs from the first 4 albums that are great (including a few that the band doesn't traditionally play live).

now that's a fuckin tour!!!!

Butcher of Birth
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
lol yea yea :D

haha awesome! :D

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
5 years ago already.

mankvill
04-02-2014, 11:45 AM
>2009 was 5 years ago

kill me now