PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt -- Gin

ADD
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Didn't think they could top Eater of Birds, let alone by such a long-shot, but sure enough Gin is another landmark album for this duo. They turned down the black metal influence and turned up the attention to songwriting and the result is a masterpiece of visceral, feral, fuckin intense metal. The vocalist Phil McSorley is an infantry soldier currently stationed in Iraq in the midst of the heavy action and recorded the vocals for this and the last album during his breaks, and knowing that really adds a different dimension to this band. Dude isn't fucking around. The clear, forceful production on Gin brings everything up a little more to the front, including the vocals, which range from a Michael Gira of Swans-like drone to a tortured shriek, but the guitar tone is what really benefits from the improved sound. Fat and crushing with a natural feel, and with great use of dynamics to make the heavy parts really hit hard. The main musical influences I hear on this record can be summed up as a mix between the hypnotic/progressive leanings of Neurosis, the violent blackened thrash riffing of a band like Destroyer 666 (or actually better put maybe like Bathory circa Blood Fire Death cuz some of these songs also have that kinda epic bounce to them), and surprisingly enough Undertow/Aenima-era Tool. I mean the last comparison more in terms of the feel or vibe I get from this record, along with the heavily percussive/tribal drumming and some of the riffs echoing songs like "Third Eye" and "Pushit". This is the only record I've heard that takes the Tool influence and does something unique and different with it in a clearly metal context, namely channeling that odd, vaguely supernatural vibe of albums like Aenima and essentially smashing it with a hammer in a ferocious display of primal humanity.

The best word I can think of to describe this album is intense, even during the transition parts, its tense and fierce and frothing at the mouth, metaphorically speaking. Check it out if this sounds like your thing.

DethMaiden
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I know nothing about this band but the picture of Hemingway on the cover makes me want to hear this album.

overkiller
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds awesome. I grabbed it a little while ago, I'll have to spin it soon.

SomewhereInTime72
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
This has piqued my interest, definitely.

Natrlhi
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Grabbed this over the weekend...and liking it a lot so far. :rocker:

I think your linking them to Tool is a really fitting analogy, but I found it was only true at times...other times they were a bit more metal and less proggy.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I will keep listening and maybe post some more thoughts later.

Nat :horns:

Natrlhi
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Time for a bump. This album is just plain awesome, and needs to get more attention (IMHO). :rocker:

This is going to end up being in my top ten for the year - I can just feel it on my bones. Crikey, is this album good. These guys are so intense, it just makes me smile from ear to ear every time I listen to this album. The references ADD made to the Tool influence are spot-on...it's more of a feel thing than an outright stealing of riffs or methodologies or the like. I mean, the drumming is obviously very close to listening to a Tool album, but there are lots of other subtle nuances here as well. The songwriting is fantastic. How these two guys manage to communicate their ideas to each other so well over so many miles is just amazing. I mean, I know we live in the information age, but still. Damn! I can't wait to see these guys live, if such a thing could ever materialize. I just feel bad for the people who are standing next to me at the time - somebody might get an inadvertent elbow thrown at them, or an accidental head-butt or something. I just might lose my f-ing mind. :D

But seriously, though. These guys are so good. This album rocks. You need to hear it. Period.

Nat (again) :horns:

ADD
06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah man, this is the shit. Two Thumbed Fist is one of the most intense songs I've ever heard.

Natrlhi
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Two Thumbed Fist is one of the most intense songs I've ever heard.

No doubt - and it rocks your balls off for almost ten fecking minutes. :rocker:

That song is particularly Tool-ish, don't you think? Especially the guitars in the opening minute or so...very Lateralus-era.

ADD
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
No doubt - and it rocks your balls off for almost ten fecking minutes. :rocker:

That song is particularly Tool-ish, don't you think? Especially the guitars in the opening minute or so...very Lateralus-era.

Absolutely, you have a good ear.

DethMaiden
08-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, this is probably the most heavy thing I've heard since Rwake's Voices of Omens a couple years back. If you've heard either, you know what kind of heavy I mean. My favorite tracks are "Gin", "Arsonry", and "A Starved Horror", but every damn note on the album is perfect. This will probably claw its way to album of the year for me, and I recommend it to anyone needing a headfuck. :bouville:

Addendum: Those lyrics! They're fucking insane, and I mean that literally. It's already a terrifying, dark, grim, drug-induced album, but most of the lyrics are about fucking: not love, or even sex which is based in love, but in hateful crazy weird fucking. Tripped out, and I haven't even started to unearth all the levels of meaning. I hope when he finishes his tour in Iraq he does a tour of the U.S.

ADD
08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, this is probably the most heavy thing I've heard since Rwake's Voices of Omens a couple years back. If you've heard either, you know what kind of heavy I mean. My favorite tracks are "Gin", "Arsonry", and "A Starved Horror", but every damn note on the album is perfect. This will probably claw its way to album of the year for me, and I recommend it to anyone needing a headfuck. :bouville:

Addendum: Those lyrics! They're fucking insane, and I mean that literally. It's already a terrifying, dark, grim, drug-induced album, but most of the lyrics are about fucking: not love, or even sex which is based in love, but in hateful crazy weird fucking. Tripped out, and I haven't even started to unearth all the levels of meaning. I hope when he finishes his tour in Iraq he does a tour of the U.S.
I totally get what you mean with the Rwake comparison, and it's because the music is coming from a similar headspace; alone and fucked up.

I think the main motivation for any art is sexual frustration, and that's really to me what is at the heart of this album and the reason why it is so poignant.

If I had to pick a favorite song it would be "Two-Thumbed Fist." But like you said, every note is perfect. Or at least works 100% in the time it's used.

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 09:16 AM
And I actually realized, he probably wasn't on drugs during the sessions for this album, because he was between tours in Iraq and there's no way he wasn't being drug tested.

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Also, and I've only brainstormed a little bit thus far, but the Hemingway connections are awesome. The title track of course has the "Hemingway save me" refrain, but "A Starved Horror" has lyrics that could have easily been taken from The Sun Also Rises, and the sexual frustation Addi alluded to that is the basis for much of the album is pure Sun Also Rises. Jake, that book's main character, was sexually impaired in a WWI accident and he fills the void left by his inability to pursue women with drink. Uh, hello, that's Gin in a nutshell. The layers of brilliance continue to astound me.

Derelict
08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
And I actually realized, he probably wasn't on drugs during the sessions for this album, because he was between tours in Iraq and there's no way he wasn't being drug tested.

people don't usually get drug tested between tours unless you give them reason to test you

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
people don't usually get drug tested between tours unless you give them reason to test you

Ah, hmm. I thought they wouldn't let him go back to the front if he tested positive, but I'm not in the military so I totally made that up. :lol:

Derelict
08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
and i'll think i'll be checking this out based on this thread

Derelict
08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Ah, hmm. I thought they wouldn't let him go back to the front if he tested positive, but I'm not in the military so I totally made that up. :lol:

my brother has been in for four years, the only thing he has seen anyone get tested for is steroids

ADD
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Also, and I've only brainstormed a little bit thus far, but the Hemingway connections are awesome. The title track of course has the "Hemingway save me" refrain, but "A Starved Horror" has lyrics that could have easily been taken from The Sun Also Rises, and the sexual frustation Addi alluded to that is the basis for much of the album is pure Sun Also Rises. Jake, that book's main character, was sexually impaired in a WWI accident and he fills the void left by his inability to pursue women with drink. Uh, hello, that's Gin in a nutshell. The layers of brilliance continue to astound me.
Nice. Haven't read much Hemingway but I might start soon.

ADD
08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sure copious amounts of alcohol were involved in the lyric writing process, they all read like violent drunken ramblings to some degree. Wouldn't surprise me if he was hammered recording the vocals too.

powerslave_85
08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I got this off iTunes because of all the hype you guys are creating. I like it so far, but I haven't had much time to really sink my teeth into it, so to speak. Violent, drunken sexual frustration sounds right up my alley, though :D

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm sure copious amounts of alcohol were involved in the lyric writing process, they all read like violent drunken ramblings to some degree. Wouldn't surprise me if he was hammered recording the vocals too.

Also ties into one of the album's main themes, so I dig that. I seriously just wanna interview these cats about this album, it's made me think than any album has in a long time.

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I got this off iTunes because of all the hype you guys are creating. I like it so far, but I haven't had much time to really sink my teeth into it, so to speak. Violent, drunken sexual frustration sounds right up my alley, though :D

:bouville: :fist:

ADD
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
If and when a Cobalt live peformance materializes I can't imagine how intense that'd be. I know High On Fire already wanted to take them out on tour but of course McSorley is still in Iraq. That'd be a monster show.

ADD
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
On an unrelated note:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_c627950853534201a1a1184e613304ba.jpg

Yes :bouville:

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
On an unrelated note:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_c627950853534201a1a1184e613304ba.jpg

Yes :bouville:

Oh yeah. I'm gonna need that.

Derelict
08-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Listening now, definitely enjoying it

Natrlhi
08-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope when he finishes his tour in Iraq he does a tour of the U.S.

:agree: Fuckin' "A" right, bro-ham. :fist::rocker::fist:

I know High On Fire already wanted to take them out on tour but of course McSorley is still in Iraq. That'd be a monster show.
...and HELL yes. I have seen HoF live, and this show would just fucking crush and destroy. What's interesting is that the lyrical themes are pretty different, and the personality types of the lead dudes (Pike and McSorley) are probably polar opposites (Pike seems like a pretty mellow guy in interviews, but McSorley obviously has a great deal of negative energy he works out through his music). Still, what a brutal one-two kick in the nuts that show would be...:nutkick::D

Natrlhi
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I was just reading the above post again, and it got me to thinking, "what would make a Cobalt / High on Fire show even better?". The response that popped into my head is...maybe a band that crosses the (apparent) divide between these two - have any of you guys ever listened to Indian from Chicago? They are basically an EXTREMELY heavy stoner / doom metal outfit (much like High on Fire, but maybe even heavier), but they also seem to have some blackened aspects every once in a while that remind me of something like Cobalt. So here is the first vote for a Cobalt / Indian / High on Fire show...ker-ching!

(You should listen to Indian. Do it. They are heavy as fuck. Do it. Bacardi and cola. Do it. Do it.)

www.myspace.com/indiandoom

ADD
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I was just reading the above post again, and it got me to thinking, "what would make a Cobalt / High on Fire show even better?". The response that popped into my head is...maybe a band that crosses the (apparent) divide between these two - have any of you guys ever listened to Indian from Chicago? They are basically an EXTREMELY heavy stoner / doom metal outfit (much like High on Fire, but maybe even heavier), but they also seem to have some blackened aspects every once in a while that remind me of something like Cobalt. So here is the first vote for a Cobalt / Indian / High on Fire show...ker-ching!

(You should listen to Indian. Do it. They are heavy as fuck. Do it. Bacardi and cola. Do it. Do it.)

Fasho, the first Indian album is rad as fuck, couldn't really get into The Sycophant and that other EP they did though.

Div
08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
what the fuck. why havent i listened to this earlier.

i have seen the light! :bowdown:

Derelict
08-30-2009, 02:20 PM

I realized my previous statement on this was incorrect - I was down visiting my brother this past weekend and they piss-tested the whole batallion while I was there

DethMaiden
08-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I realized my previous statement on this was incorrect - I was down visiting my brother this past weekend and they piss-tested the whole batallion while I was there

There you go. Then he was just drunk as fuck during writing and recording. :lol:

Also, Mike, :horns:

Natrlhi
09-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Spun this bad boy again on my way to work today. What a perfect fucking album - flawless. :bliss:

ADD
09-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Good acid + shitty headphones + walking around alone outside on a moonless night + this album = way gnarly

Natrlhi
09-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Good acid + shitty headphones + walking around alone outside on a moonless night + this album = way gnarly
These days I would personally opt for better headphones and no acid, but yeah - I get your point. ;)

EDIT: That music would scare the shit out of me on acid. There was almost a bad incident with me and Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" many years ago...but I don't talk about that anymore (apparently I just post about it on public discussion forums). :D

DethMaiden
09-17-2009, 11:56 AM

I want to lock myself up in a remote and dark location like Henry David Thoreau did, get "six drinks in on strong rum" like the song says and put this album on.

DethMaiden
09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Who else is incredibly moved and impressed by the lyrics to "A Starved Horror"? They're pretty different from the vibe of the rest of the album's lyrics, but they are intense and really bring in the Hemingway influence I think.

"God saved the races Who bowed.
Lets aim our arrows at the new sun,
We'll eat some poison with our bread.
I am the way to the city of woe.
Walk in silence down to the sea,
Our clothes smell like fire.
The way to the forsaken people.
Tusks growing out of our faces,
Humans dry humping races,
And land’s sugar is all over our teeth.

Tonight we'll drink purple wine and climb,
To the mountains uncrowned by stars,
We'll kiss women whose breath tastes like blood,
Reaching deep to feel the faces below the rocks.

Faithless priests old before their time,
Pull cold fish from the shady sea,
At night they drink their cloudy wine,
And quietly float back to sleep."

ChildrenofSodom
09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I want to lock myself up in a remote and dark location like Henry David Thoreau did, get "six drinks in on strong rum" like the song says and put this album on.

Thats how I drink my...Thats how I drink my gin. Gin. Gin. Gin.

ADD
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness"

:eek: That wouldn't be one I'd reach for in that circumstance, more of a Scream Bloody Gore guy :cool:

"A Starved Horror" does have genius lyrics, still haven't been able to interpret them to my satisfaction. That's good.

ADD
09-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Can't forget the 7 peyote buttons :D Man that combo could really fuck you up though :lol: This music is very powerful to be experienced at any level of consciousness, and having listened to it multiple times at varying degrees of altered consciousness I can't say there's any particular way to experience it that's any better than another. Gettin into it as many ways as possible in as many different environments as you can is what I would encourage, obviously that goes for any good music right. :)