PDA

View Full Version : Sonata Arctica

rjturtle9
03-10-2009, 09:45 PM
i just got 2 of their albums from my friend and i love them!! anyone got any suggestions on what to get from them...

Maiden33
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Totally depends on which two albums you got.

The first two albums (Ecliptica and Silence) are still the best two.

SirLardsAlot
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
They were one of the first bands I listened to when I started listening to metal. I was downloading some Maiden songs and I had downloaded their cover of Die With Your Boots On, and I found out about them that way. I bought Ecliptica and I loved it. Only album of theirs I ever got though. And while I don't really listen to power metal any more, I do occasionally go back and listen to that one. I still enjoy it :D

rjturtle9
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
The first two albums (Ecliptica and Silence) are still the best two.

those are the ones i have

Maiden33
03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
those are the ones i have

Well, here's my take

-Winterheart's Guild is the most similar in style to the first two, but I (and apparently many others) find it to be a little less consistent, and contains less memorable songs overall.

-Reckoning Night took a big step in evolving the band's sound toward a more progressive and experimental direction. It's less predictable and whatnot, but in my personal opinion, it totally lacks the upbeat magic that makes the first two albums work as well as they do. That aside, it contains easily one of their best tracks, "White Pearl, Black Oceans".

-Unia is almost incomparable to the first 3 albums stylistically, and basically takes the direction of Reckoning Night and multiplies it. The songs are much more difficult to get into, and if you are going to really enjoy the album, I can assure you it will be more from eventual growth than immediate likeness.

I'd say check out a couple of songs from each (via YouTube or whatever you prefer) and then decide for yourself. It's a tough call.

My personal individual track recommendations:
-"The Cage", "Gravenimage", and "Vicotria's Secret" - Winterheart's Guild
-"Don't Say a Word", "White Pearl, Black Oceans", "Ain't Your Fairytale" - Reckoning Night
-"Paid in Full", "In Black and White", "Caleb" - Unia

SomewhereInTime72
03-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Reccomending Winterheart's Guild, though honestly I don't think they're the greatest band, definitely a good one though, but you've already got most of their best work. :dorky:

This thread reminds me that I haven't listened to this band in like a year. :eyes: Wow.

Div
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
shitsux

DethMaiden
03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
I love SA and I don't love power metal. Get Reckoning Night and Ecliptica first.

Maiden33
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I confess that my interest in this band has significantly diminished over the least year and a half or two. Basically since Unia came out and I saw Firewind annihilate them live, I kind of lost interest. The first two albums are still really enjoyable though. The live CD/DVD "Fore the Sake of Revenge" is a great watch, I'd probably recommend getting that above all other 3 albums. The band is essentially the definition of "Flower Metal" though.

rjturtle9
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks guys