PDA

View Full Version : Hammerfall

mankvill
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Are they good? Where should I start with them? :O

ravenheart
03-07-2009, 05:27 PM
If you're OK with lyrics about swords and steel and so forth, yes, they are.

You can't go far wrong, as an introduction, with One Crimson Night. It's a double live album on the tour for what is probably their most accessible album, Crimson Thunder.

mankvill
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM

You can't go far wrong, as an introduction, with One Crimson Night. It's a double live album on the tour for what is probably their most accessible album, Crimson Thunder.

I like Dragonforce, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. :fist:

JRA
03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

He fucking should be, as his name almost spells "MAN-KILL."

mankvill
03-07-2009, 06:29 PM
He fucking should be, as his name almost spells "MAN-KILL."

Don't ever use "mankvill" online or as your Xbox Live gamertag.

"MANKILL?
MAKVILL?
MAKNVILL?"

Jesus christ.

ChildrenofSodom
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I have Chapter V and Threshold, both of which I like.

ravenheart
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I have Chapter V and Threshold, both of which I like.

Chapter V I love. Threshold I find a bit 'meh'. The new one is boring as fuck.

SomewhereInTime72
03-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Hammerfall pretty much only get my "tolerable" stamp.

DethMaiden
03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Hammerfall pretty much only get my "tolerable" stamp.

Hammerfall only get my mushroom stamp.

overkiller
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
It's a little-known fact that Chuck Schuldiner was a big fan of Hammerfall.

But I'm just going on hearsay, that could be false.

Maiden33
03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Hammerfall generally has 3 phases of their career:

1.Great power metal that is absolutely cheesy beyond belief, but 100% enjoyable if it's your kind of thing. See: Legacy of Kings

2.Traditional metal which is very accessible but doesn't have nearly the fun-factor or consistency of their power metal work, despite being considerably less cheesy. See: Crimson Thunder

3.Meh. See: Threshold

I have not heard the new album, but the single/video is really fucking lame. I saw Hammerfall in 2005, mainly because Edguy was playing with them. Good show. Not great, but a lot of fun. I'd probably go again if they came back.

They have a compilation out. I'm not sure of the tracklisting, but I imagine it has to be a pretty solid representation of their work. Someone mentioned the One Crimson Night CD/DVD, that's a pretty solid selection of songs from the first 4 albums.

Spiral_Slave
03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah I have Legacy Of Kings, Crimson Thunder, Chapter V, and the new one. They're enjoyable and I'd go see them live but they're cheesy and generic as hell.

Derelict
03-08-2009, 11:34 AM
It's a little-known fact that Chuck Schuldiner was a big fan of Hammerfall.

But I'm just going on hearsay, that could be false.

I saw Death in 1998, Hammerfall opened, as per Chuck's personal invite....so I'm thinking this is true.

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I figure I should mention that if you're contemplating checking out Hammerfall, there are dozens of better, more artistically viable bands out there, that aren't flying the flag for everything power metal gets made fun of for.

Here, check out Nocturnal Rites instead:

www.nocturnalrites.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L4v9ZGGktQ

mankvill
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I figure I should mention that if you're contemplating checking out Hammerfall, there are dozens of better, more artistically viable bands out there, that aren't flying the flag for everything power metal gets made fun of for.

Here, check out Nocturnal Rites instead:

www.nocturnalrites.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L4v9ZGGktQ

Hmm...I'll keep that in mind. :)

Div
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
they have some catchy songs, but their lack of creativity makes it really hard for me to consider them a respectable band.

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm...I'll keep that in mind. :)

Nocturnal Rites? Artistically viable? No, 'gay' is the word you're looking for there ;)

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I saw Hammerfall in 2005, mainly because Edguy was playing with them. Good show. Not great, but a lot of fun. I'd probably go again if they came back.

I saw them in '05 too, when they obliterated Stratovarius on a co-headlining tour.

Then again in 2007 on the Threshold tour with Krokus and The Poodles. Pretty good then too, but weaker material.

JuuKun
03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
While we're recommending alternative bands instead of Hammerfall, here's a non-cheesy band that describe themselves as "Dark Power Metal with balls"

Morgana Lefay

http://www.myspace.com/morganalefay

:)

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Morgana Lefay definitely recommended to everyone!

Particularly their early albums when they were called Lefay.

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Nocturnal Rites? Artistically viable? No, 'gay' is the word you're looking for there ;)

You like St. Anger. Please don't tell me Nocturnal Rites isn't good enough for you. I think I just vomited. The first couple albums, the ones with the original singer are quite cheesy, but the later albums, such as Grand Illusion are badass.

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
You like St. Anger. Please don't tell me Nocturnal Rites isn't good enough for you. I think I just vomited. The first couple albums, the ones with the original singer are quite cheesy, but the later albums, such as Grand Illusion are badass.

I have 'Shadowland', which is alright. But I saw them live when they were touring 'Grand Illusion' and they were shit. Seriously, just shit.

mankvill
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM

They sound really interesting. Where should I start?

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I have 'Shadowland', which is alright. But I saw them live when they were touring 'Grand Illusion' and they were shit. Seriously, just shit.

I've noticed, despite the fact that you and I get along fairly well, you seem to ALWAYS want to rain on my parade. Whenever I like something, you have to come in and speak out against it, almost like you get some sort of satisfaction out of holding a different opinion. When we were talking about how much we like the Gamma Ray DVD, you had to bash it. When I was talking about how excited I was that Primal Fear were coming here, you had to say they sucked when you saw them. It's nothing against you personally, but it just seems like you love to play good cop/bad cop with people, always offering the complete counterpoint.

JuuKun
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM

They were not called Lefay at first. They started off as Morgana Lefay, released five albums in the 90's, then due to issues with the label changed their name to Lefay in 1998 to release three albums (one of which was a recorded version of their debut), and then changed back to Morgana Lefay a few years back and have released two more albums under the name so far.

But, mankvill, start with Maleficium.

JuuKun
03-08-2009, 06:24 PM
When I was talking about how excited I was that Primal Fear were coming here, you had to say they sucked when you saw them.

Not to derail the thread, but that is rubbish :). I saw them at PPUSA VIII and they were awesome. Everyone I've talked to that was there agrees.

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Not to derail the thread, but that is rubbish :). I saw them at PPUSA VIII and they were awesome. Everyone I've talked to that was there agrees.

Well I don't really know who to believe, but I've seen lots of videos online and whatnot, and I was quite happy with the videos I saw from both Primal Fear and Nocturnal Rites. I don't live in a perfect world and can't admit fault in bands either. I've seen lots of mediocre and disappointing performances from bands I like.

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I've noticed, despite the fact that you and I get along fairly well, you seem to ALWAYS want to rain on my parade. Whenever I like something, you have to come in and speak out against it, almost like you get some sort of satisfaction out of holding a different opinion. When we were talking about how much we like the Gamma Ray DVD, you had to bash it. When I was talking about how excited I was that Primal Fear were coming here, you had to say they sucked when you saw them. It's nothing against you personally, but it just seems like you love to play good cop/bad cop with people, always offering the complete counterpoint.

To be perfectly honest, I comment on whatever is being said. I don't even remember that it was you personally talking about Gamma Ray and Primal Fear those times. Those were just the conversations being had at the time, and those were (and still are) my takes on those. Same here.

That it was you each time is pure coincidence and I'd have said the same things had it been anyone else.

Not you ta get ya ;)

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Well I don't really know who to believe, but I've seen lots of videos online and whatnot, and I was quite happy with the videos I saw from both Primal Fear and Nocturnal Rites. I don't live in a perfect world and can't admit fault in bands either. I've seen lots of mediocre and disappointing performances from bands I like.

I liked PF's performance on 'The History of Fear' DVD too, so perhaps when I saw them they had an off day. But they really were dull, and up to but not including 'New Religion', I love everything they've done. I found that particular album rather by the numbers after the progress they made with 'Devil's Ground' and 'Seven Seals'.

I've never seen them play a club show though, so perhaps they're better in that environment.

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
They were not called Lefay at first. They started off as Morgana Lefay, released five albums in the 90's, then due to issues with the label changed their name to Lefay in 1998 to release three albums (one of which was a recorded version of their debut), and then changed back to Morgana Lefay a few years back and have released two more albums under the name so far.

But, mankvill, start with Maleficium.

Huh, did not know that. Not that I've looked into their history particularly deeply. I have 'The Seventh Seal', which was a Lefay album, and I know 'Grand Materia' is Morgana Lefay, and later, so my logic ended there.

I really need to get round to picking up the rest of their discs, but they're pretty pricey here.

EDIT: Just got 'SOS' and 'Symphony of The Damned: Re-Symphonised' dirt cheap, so we'll see how those turn out :D

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I liked PF's performance on 'The History of Fear' DVD too, so perhaps when I saw them they had an off day. But they really were dull, and up to but not including 'New Religion', I love everything they've done. I found that particular album rather by the numbers after the progress they made with 'Devil's Ground' and 'Seven Seals'.

I've never seen them play a club show though, so perhaps they're better in that environment.

Seven Seals is IMO the best Primal Fear record, and probably one of the best power metal albums out there.

From a musician's perspective, I think clubs are always better than festivals. Not due to the size of the audience, but when you play a show that you are headlining, you get to get in there early, set up your own back line, sound check, and use all of your own gear. Also, you usually have a much better acoustics on stage at a club show than at a festival. You'd think the bigger stage and environment would make for a better show, but it actually puts a lot more complications into the mix. Our shows we've done on big stages outside have sucked in comparison to a lot of our gigs in clubs.

ravenheart
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Seven Seals is IMO the best Primal Fear record, and probably one of the best power metal albums out there.

Agreed. I splashed out and got 'The Book of Seven Seals' version from Germany. 150-odd page hard-back book (biography of Matt Sinner - disappointingly in German), with the 'Seven Seals' album including bonus tracks, bonus CD 'Rare Tracks' with covers by PF plus songs by other bands featuring PF members (Tyran Pace, Sinner, Cans, Gamma Ray etc.), a DVD of promo videos and live tracks and signed Matt Sinner photo. 1000 made, I think.

http://www.primalfear.de/news/Book.jpg

JuuKun
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Huh, did not know that. Not that I've looked into their history particularly deeply. I have 'The Seventh Seal', which was a Lefay album, and I know 'Grand Materia' is Morgana Lefay, and later, so my logic ended there.

I really need to get round to picking up the rest of their discs, but they're pretty pricey here.

EDIT: Just got 'SOS' and 'Symphony of The Damned: Re-Symphonised' dirt cheap, so we'll see how those turn out :D

They're one of my favorite bands :) They released some really good material before the name change, definitely recommend checking those out, especially (like I told mankvill) Maleficium. The Symphony of the Damned re-recording is really good, too, though, that's got some great tracks on it.