PDA

View Full Version : thin lizzy

ADD
03-06-2009, 04:58 AM
discuss :rocker:

Fe Maiden
03-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I like 'em. The dual lead guitar with the harmonizing is:drool: Influence on Maiden!!!

ravenheart
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Somehow, although I'm pretty sure I should like them... I just never enjoy their music.

Apart from most of the Johnny The Fox album.

ImmortalEmperor
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
One of my all time favorite bands. Phil Lynott was one of a kind...

JRA
03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
First time I ever heard Thin Lizzy was during the Toy Story commerical where someone sang "the Toys are back in Town." At first I thought that was an original song for the movie, but I would of course be proven wrong.

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Fuckin' great band. Just listened to Johnny The Fox today. What are your favorite albums ADD? I've been looking to get more.

Maiden33
03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Really excellent band. In my opinion their best albums are Black Rose, Jailbreak, and Thunder and Lightning. Obviously Live and Dangerous is also one of the best live albums ever made. Gary Moore and John Sykes had excellent stints with them, and Phil was an amazing songwriter and lyricist that really put his soul into the music. Not to mention the band has been a direct or indirect influence on a billion good bands since.

ADD
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Fuckin' great band. Just listened to Johnny The Fox today. What are your favorite albums ADD? I've been looking to get more.

You definitely gotta hear Bad Reputation, Fighting, and Vagabonds of the Western World in my opinion, some of my favorite records ever :metal: It's so cool how people even in just this thread alone have mentioned having totally different favorite Lizzy albums, a true testament to their greatness :rocker:

ravenheart
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Obviously Live and Dangerous is also one of the best live albums ever made.

Except it isn't a live album...

Maiden33
03-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Explain. Not that I doubt you, but I've not heard about this.

ADD
03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah I heard they overdubbed the shit out of it. Whatever though. You wouldn't knock Unleashed In The East, and Live & Dangerous definitely approaches that caliber of radness :cool:

Maiden33
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Apparently Iced Earth's Alive in Athens is almost entirely overdubbed. On one hand I want to be angry because it spoils the "authenticity" of the performance, but on the other hand, I'd rather here a live album that sounds great than authentic and shitty.

ravenheart
03-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Explain. Not that I doubt you, but I've not heard about this.

Basically, they recorded a whole bunch of shows from the Johnny The Fox and Bad Reputation tours. Bad Reputation as such a success that the label were desperate for another album. Thin Lizzy wanted to work with the same producer, but he was too busy with other projects (Bowie etc.), so they decided to put a live album together, with him, because they felt that was the best thing they could do with the time he could devote to them.

So they picked the shows they wanted to use, and the best versions of the songs, and put it together. Phil wanted to fill in a few bits of vocal in the studio, then decided they might as well re-do all of them, then noticed some bass notes were out, so wanted to fill those in, but to get it to sound right he wanted to re-record all of the bass as well. While they were doing that Gorham and Robertson walked in and wanted to re-record their guitars as well.

Net result: all of the vocals, backing vocals, bass and guitars were recorded in the studio. The only live elements from the original recordings are the crowd and the drums.

This is the producer's account: http://www.tonyvisconti.com/artists/thinlizzy/live.htm

They're trying to rectify this. 'UK Tour 75' was released last year (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2008/thin-lizzy-uk-tour-75/) and 'Still Dangerous', which is one of the unused shows from the Bad Reputation tour, was released last week (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2009/thin-lizzy-still-dangerous/). Both are complete shows with no overdubs etc.

JRA
03-07-2009, 07:31 AM
That is so stupid to me. What the fuck is the point in recording a live album if everything is going to be done over?

Maiden33
03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
That is so stupid to me. What the fuck is the point in recording a live album if everything is going to be done over?

From a musician's standpoint it totally makes sense to me. To me a live album isn't about "Hey, this is about being 100% pure to the original performance". When you give a great live performance, it's in several dimensions, not just the accuracy in hitting all the right notes. When you're at the show, it doesn't matter. When you take in the whole performance and the whole stage show and whatnot, you're not going to focus in on wrong notes and sloppy playing unless it's really bad. However, the average music fan (like myself and many I know), are going to key in on those things when just listening to the audio version of the show. For me, I'd rather listen to something that sounds great and tweaked (not to the extent that we discussed here, but in general), than something that is authentic and sloppy as hell. Live albums bring a lot to the table besides the actual notes. Bands play different arrangements of songs and whatnot, stuff that is different from the studio version, even if it is overdubbed for accuracy.

SomewhereInTime72
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I prefer it raw. :angel:

ravenheart
03-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Personally, I'm fine with overdubbing in the event that something technical went wrong. But yes, to the point we're talking about here with the Lizzy disc, it's just a waste of time even putting the record together. It's a re-recorded greatest hits disc, not a live disc.

powerslave_85
03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I prefer it raw. :angel:
Yep. I like pure live recordings, flaws and all. However, I think DVDs have effectively made live albums obsolete. Why do I want to just listen to a performance when I can watch it AND listen to it?

DethMaiden
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Yep. I like pure live recordings, flaws and all. However, I think DVDs have effectively made live albums obsolete. Why do I want to just listen to a performance when I can watch it AND listen to it?

Precisely.

SomewhereInTime72
03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
My iPod disagrees with DVDs making live albums irrelevant, but I must say DVDs are much better.

Maiden33
03-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Personally, I'm fine with overdubbing in the event that something technical went wrong. But yes, to the point we're talking about here with the Lizzy disc, it's just a waste of time even putting the record together. It's a re-recorded greatest hits disc, not a live disc.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I don't want bands overdubbing the shit out of something just to make it the absolute best that they can, but if there are obvious massive flaws or technical issues, I would MUCH rather have the band overdub it than keep it in. I personally think people who are claiming they prefer live albums totally raw don't have much of an ear for music on a technical level. Almost every band overdubs their live releases. Far more live albums are overdubbed than aren't, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nobody is perfect, and as I said, the mistakes that are perfectly acceptable when you are at the show, are generally not acceptable when you're listening to the performance at home.