PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Nu-Metal

mankvill
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
What are your favorite (or "least hated") Nu-Metal bands?

For me, in order:

1. Korn
2. Linkin Park
3. System Of A Down
4. Slipknot

Don't be shy, tell us what you liked back in junior high!

TonyD
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
System isn't nu-metal.

Div
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/4b/Gtfo1.jpg

JuuKun
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Really only have three.

1. Kittie
2. Godsmack
3. Disturbed

JRA
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
System isn't nu-metal.

Agreed, and neither was Godsmack, they were more alternative rock with guitar solos.

SirLardsAlot
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
These words don't compute in my brain.

Sinfulsot
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
i thought Kittie was more -core than nu-metal

I still like disturbed, tho are they still nu-metal?

Maiden33
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, my brain can only compute this as a joke.

es156
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Don't be shy, tell us what you liked back in junior high!

Rush, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Scorpions.....

ADD
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Faith No More :cool:

I wasn't into nu metal long enough to really "explore" what it had to offer, so I basically only listened to like Disturbed, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, a little P.O.D (wow remember them?), but that was it. I remember hating a lot of the other similar bands of the time (the 2nd level bands like Adema, Drowning Pool, etc), which I guess makes sense why I grew out of it pretty quick.

ADD
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Rush, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Scorpions.....

Born too late :bouville:

In a perfect universe I would have been born exactly 30 years earlier. Imagine if it was actually 1979 right now.......:drool:

ChildrenofSodom
02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Linkin Park I still think is catchy. And a little POD is alright.

I liked Subliminal Verses 3 when it came out, i was in a transitional phase between BLink 182 and Helloween/Maiden/Dio.

mankvill
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah, my brain can only compute this as a joke.

:lol:

On the way to work, I turned on the local rock station and they were playing Korn's "Got The Life" and I got to thinking about which nu-metal bands I'd like to see live.

mankvill
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Linkin Park I still think is catchy. And a little POD is alright.

I liked Subliminal Verses 3 when it came out, i was in a transitional phase between BLink 182 and Helloween/Maiden/Dio.

I actually own all the Linkin Park CD's (including that remix CD) except the one they did with Jay-Z and their latest one. I even have the live CD/DVD. I'd like to see them live more than any of the other nu-bands if I knew they would play little to no stuff off of Minutes To Midnight.

TonyD
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
cKy. Then Zeppelin, AC/DC and Sabbath in that order.

Born too late :bouville:

In a perfect universe I would have been born exactly 30 years earlier. Imagine if it was actually 1979 right now.......:drool:
I used to think that, but over the past year or two I've began to appreciate what's going on right now.
But if I were, I would be seeing the real AC/DC at the Oakland Coliseum, sending Bon & Bonzo to the Betty Ford Clinic, dropping cyanide in Black Sabbath's manager's daughter's drink, and seeing Gentle Giant live at least once. And I'd be in a band with a bassist from across the bay.

ADD
02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
I would be seeing the real AC/DC at the Oakland Coliseum, sending Bon & Bonzo to the Betty Ford Clinic, dropping cyanide in Black Sabbath's manager's daughter's drink, and seeing Gentle Giant live at least once. And I'd be in a band with a bassist from across the bay.

If only......dammit the 2000's suck :bouville:

TonyD
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Well most of that has to do with what we know now. It's like, "damn I wish I bet my life savings on the Yankees between '96 and 2000."

DethMaiden
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I liked Linkin Park and Good Charlotte and Matchbox Twenty a lot until I heard Iron Maiden.

JRA
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
sending Bon & Bonzo to the Betty Ford Clinic

But maybe they'd be doing reality TV and whoring themselves out right now.

Hey, Jimmy Page lived and he did an unforgivable collaboration with Puff Daddy.

ChildrenofSodom
02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
YEah.....gonna throw Good Charlotte in there too.

SomewhereInTime72
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Korn used to be my favorite band. :milk:

powerslave_85
02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I liked Linkin Park, P.O.D, Godsmack, and the second Disturbed album, Believe. I hated all of their other stuff, though.

Thank god punk rock came along to save me from that shit.

rjturtle9
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
i like slipknot, linkin park, some mudvanye. i really like korn now... idk, nu-metal was my introduction to metal so i really like it a lot.

damn i regret my good Charlotte days lol although the intro to their second album was pretty heavy...

mankvill
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
lifestyyyyles

of the rich and famous

they're always complainin

always complaaaaininnnn

TonyD
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
And you wonder why metal bands won't come to Kansas.

rjturtle9
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM

:lol: nah seriously that was very very mean

Div
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
wow

i cant believe this thread has been the most popular post here in the past few weeks.

RIP MSL

mankvill
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM

We get less pop-punk/nu-metal than metal bands.

:confused:

xStructualDefect
02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
aahh i used to love nu metal when i was in elementary (later yrs) / middle high school.
but im not that old im only a senior in high school at the moment.

back then bands id listen to all the time were
korn
slipknot
papa roach (1st 2 albums only)
linkin park (1st 2 albums only)
adema
drowning pool (1st album)
saliva (1st 2 albums)
limp bizkit
dope
taproot (1st 2 albums mainly)
etc

out of everyone i still love korn though. grew up listening to them, still listen to them alot, and i wouldn't be the same person if it wasn't for them. still listen to the others every now and then but def not as much. havent dug anything new by any nu metal band has done from after ive grown out of the genre, except korn and slipknot (vol 3, not AHIG).

TonyD
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
:lol: nah seriously that was very very mean

No, seriously fuck this shit. It sucked in the first place, which is why I hated it then. It still sucks now, which is why I hate the fact that blink 182 and Limp Bizkit are "getting back together".
How long were they gone in the first place? 5 years at most.
You don't get music any more full of bullshit than these bands. In fact, it's because of them I found metal.

Fe Maiden
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Don't be shy, tell us what you liked back in junior high!Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, RUSH, Black Sabbath..............I may have even like Kiss back then but don't now except for a few very select songs:eyes: What is "Nu" Metal anyways?:D

mankvill
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM
In fact, it's because of them I found metal.

Show your respect then. :dance:

TonyD
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
No, I would have been listening to Limp Bizkit too if their music didn't royally suck.

SomewhereInTime72
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
No, I would have been listening to Limp Bizkit too if their music didn't royally suck.

really cause im so tr00 that i'd still not listen to them even if they were AWESOME

JRA
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
What is "Nu" Metal anyways?:D

Think of is as the "Hard Rock dogshit class of 2000."

The following bands to me, were nu-metal.

Korn
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Alien Ant Farm
Disturbed
Slipknot
Taproot
Static-X
Papa Roach

Basically, if your were on Ozzfest in the years 1999-2001 (headliners aside) you were nu-metal.

ravenheart
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I liked Linkin Park, P.O.D, Godsmack, and the second Disturbed album, Believe. I hated all of their other stuff, though.

Thank god punk rock came along to save me from that shit.

I love Godsmack. Definitely not nu metal.

Used to like Linkin Park too. Still love the Meteora album. Can't stand the new one though.

Disturbed... they're alright. Really starting to wear thing now producing the same album over and over. Decidedly average live too.

Like Korn on record, but they're dire live.

Didn't nu metal basically just turn into emo? :confused:

Fe Maiden
02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Think of is as the "Hard Rock dogshit class of 2000."

The following bands to me, were nu-metal.

Korn
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Alien Ant Farm
Disturbed
Slipknot
Taproot
Static-X
Papa Roach
I'm not sure if I have ever even heard a single song from any of those! I'm "old school" I guess! And IMO, that's not a bad thing!

JRA
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure if I have ever even heard a single song from any of those! I'm "old school" I guess! And IMO, that's not a bad thing!

Well if you ever heard Papa Roach, you'd probably go "That's a Maiden riff!"

powerslave_85
02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
As tragically bad as all of these bands are now, they did serve to me as a stepping stone for real, good metal in a way.

Sinfulsot
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
some of these bands are still around. are they still considered nu-metal?

i'm thinking specfically of

Korn
Disturbed
Slipknot
Static-X
Papa Roach (currently on tour with Buck Cherry) (support i'm assuming)

When i saw Static X, 3" of blood and Shadows Fall were support. and i half expected a much younger crowd, which wasn't the case.

ravenheart
02-25-2009, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't have said Slipknot were nu metal to begin with... Definitely aren't now.

mankvill
02-25-2009, 04:27 AM
some of these bands are still around. are they still considered nu-metal?

Not really, thank God.

I hope that the same thing happens with metalcore.

Maiden33
02-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm honestly not ignoring this thread because I'm "denying my roots". Even though I was prime age during the prime years of the movement, I never liked Nu-metal. It seems like for most metal fans today aged between 16 and 20, it was kind of like a stepping stone to liking real metal, but it just never happened for me. When I was younger (circa 2000), I really like two things. Mainstream rock that was popular in the late 90s (Creed, Matchbox 20, stuff like that), and Classic Rock (Aerosmith, AC/DC). After that I discovered Metallica, Maiden, Dio/Sabbath, and the ball started rolling from there.

AnthG
02-25-2009, 08:14 AM
The 2 bands I was really into from ages 11-12 were Korn and Limp Bizkit. I also really loved Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Disturbed, got into Slipknot a lot during their hiatus between Iowa and Vol. 3, System of a Down, and Godsmack.

Now the only bands of that list that I still really like are Korn, Slipknot (which are still probably my top 2 favourite bands), and Disturbed. I'll still ocassionally listen to System or Godsmack. I still hold on to those first 3 though, even when I really started getting into the New wave of American metal bands like Lamb of God and Chimaira. Even now I listen to everything from Death Metal (Kataklysm, Quo Vadis) to Mainstream rock (Seether, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin), but I've still always held onto Korn and the Knot.

Clayman01
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Nu-Metal is basically anything with metal music and rapped vocals. So, you've got Limp Bizkt, Korn, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, POD, etc. Slipknot isn't really Nu Metal but they came out at the same time so get lumped in with them. Disturbed isn't really metal, just Hard Rock IMO. I was very much into Nu Metal as that was really the only heavy music around in the US. If I had only known about all the awesome metal going on in Europe at that time, I could have gotten into the good stuff year earlier :(

Though I did see Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit when they did the big tour with Metallica. I thought Linkin Park put on a really good show.

Div
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
hai

my "roots" were led zeppelin, pink floyd, aerosmith, the beatles, and manowar before i started really getting into metal music. i never liked nu-metal or that watered down punk stuff like blink 182. you know why? because it was lame as hell then, and its still lame now.

TonyD
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Not really, thank God.

I hope that the same thing happens with metalcore.

All with patience

mankvill
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
hai

my "roots" were led zeppelin, pink floyd, aerosmith, the beatles, and manowar before i started really getting into metal music. i never liked nu-metal or that watered down punk stuff like blink 182. you know why? because it was lame as hell then, and its still lame now.

:fist: except that blink-182 is the forefathers of crust punk. amebix dedicated Arise! to them.

Div
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
TBH the first half of my life i really didnt listen to music at all except for weird al.

JRA
02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Truth be told I didn't pay that much attention to nu-metal. I was too busy being an Ozzy and Metallica nut to bother. Although I did like Godsmack, but that's only because when I went to Ozzfest 2000, they were the only band that a) sang, b) sounded like an actual rock band instead of that detuned DUNDUNDUDUNDUDNDUDN shit. I did kind of have my eye on Linkin Park and Slipknot, mainly cos there was singing, and I always thought about getting one of their albums, just so I could be up with the new breed, but once I started trolling the internet and was witnessing the nu-metal backlash, I quickly scrapped any plans I had about that, (and that probably ended by Godsmack fandom as well).

I was such a fucking sheep. :eyes:

Metal_Head
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I like quite a bit of nu metal actually. Slipknot is my favorite band, but I wouldn't really call them nu metal, they can't even be classified into any particular metal genre in my opinion. The other nu metal bands I listen to are KoRn, Disturbed (only The Sickness is nu metal), Mudvayne, Spineshank, Static-X, DevilDriver (early stuff was nu metal), Mushroomhead, Godsmack (early stuff was nu metal), System of a Down, Sevendust, and some Linkin Park.

zgodt
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I dig some of Taproot's work.

And one Korn song.

SomewhereInTime72
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I dig some of Taproot's work.

And one Korn song.

Which one?

zgodt
03-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Which one?

Damnit. I just had to listen to way too many Korn clips to figure out which song it is. Ugh.

It's called "Here to Stay." Riff is badass.

TonyD
03-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Ahh the good old days where bass is just a muffled clanking sound.

SomewhereInTime72
03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Damnit. I just had to listen to way too many Korn clips to figure out which song it is. Ugh.

It's called "Here to Stay." Riff is badass.

Sorry about that, I was curious. :D

zgodt
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Let's not forget the best nu-metal song of all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiA0tRy18i8

JRA
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Let's not forget the best nu-metal song of all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiA0tRy18i8

:hmm: Yea...not to mention that one rips off a Maiden lick too (the same one as Papa Roach actually :eyes: )