PDA

View Full Version : 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3

ADD
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I know the year is young but what's good in '09 so far? The only new album I've been into is the Wino solo record, definitely better than anything he did with The Hidden Hand (aided in no small way by Jean-Paul Gaster's outstanding drumming). Just got the new Absu, gonna see whats up with that cuz it's been getting rave reviews. Otherwise I mean the new Kreator was weaksauce, 16's comeback album on Relapse hasn't compelled me much, Napalm Death was good but not something to go nuts about. What should I get hip to in the new year?

powerslave_85
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Propagandhi. Supporting Caste comes out on March 10, and it's out-fucking-standing. Already an early candidate for album of the year in my book. It's punk rock, but they have a metal edge to some of their riffs (the intro to "Dear Coach's Corner" is some of the best thrash I've heard in a while, even though it only lasts a few seconds). They also write unbelievable lyrics. Definitely worth checking out.

I also liked the new Cattle Decapitation.

mankvill
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
These are the albums I've picked up so far:

Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest floor
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave

I like them all a bunch, but I think Cattle Decapitation is the best so far. I keep coming back to CC and ND, though.

DethMaiden
02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
The new Kreator is not very good. There's like nine more albums I need to check out but I think they all come out next month.

SomewhereInTime72
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Hordes of Chaos is awesome, all of you die.

edit: I don't really know any currently out albums I'm interested in, but I can't wait for the new My Dying Bride that comes out next month.

Maiden33
02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
The only thing I've really heard from this year yet is the new Vision Divine album, "9 Degrees West of the Moon". Pretty damn disappointing since Fabio Lione is back on vocals instead of the phenomenal Michele Luppi.
Without access to a computer of my own I've been kind of out of the loop, I'll be catching up in a few weeks.

Spiral_Slave
02-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Hordes of Chaos is awesome, all of you die.

:fist:

JuuKun
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Listening to the new Dark Moor album Autumnal right now. What I've heard so far is pretty good.

The new Adagio, Archangels In Black, is good too. Kreator's latest is pretty good too.

Can't wait for May and God Dethroned's PASSIONDALE! :party:

Spiral_Slave
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Listening to the new Dark Moor album Autumnal right now. What I've heard so far is pretty good.

The new Adagio, Archangels In Black, is good too. Kreator's latest is pretty good too.

Can't wait for May and God Dethroned's PASSIONDALE! :party:

I really like Autumnal. It took a few listens to grow on me but my favorite songs are definitely Faustus and Phantom Queen.

Sinfulsot
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Chimaira has something coming out in April...

overkiller
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Looking forward to the new (and first) Amesoeurs full-length.

DethMaiden
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I'll say that I'm definitely most excited about the new Decemberists.

overkiller
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Here's one: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. I've only heard what's on their Myspace, but I definitely dig. Probably gonna be one of thos obligatory indie albums for me. Terrible band name though :hecho:

Sinfulsot
02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Is the list of releases for the year going to happen again this year? even though whoever has been doing it the last few times invariably abandons the project somewhere around the end of fall/beginning of winter?

b_halperin
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
im pysched for new lamb of god, like ima go crazy when i see them in april. fucking amazing band

overkiller
02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
im pysched for new lamb of god, like ima go crazy when i see them in april. fucking amazing band

srsly brah

SomewhereInTime72
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Is the list of releases for the year going to happen again this year? even though whoever has been doing it the last few times invariably abandons the project somewhere around the end of fall/beginning of winter?

Yeah... I've never seen it get maintained (even by myself :dorky: ) past like, October. Still, it'd be useful is someone tried it. :tongue:

Fe Maiden
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
April 28th is all you need!

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know:light::horns:

Sinfulsot
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah... I've never seen it get maintained (even by myself :dorky: ) past like, October. Still, it'd be useful is someone tried it. :tongue:

Agreed.

JuuKun
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Aside from Passiondale, my most anticipated album is probably the debut from Inmoria (http://www.myspace.com/inmoriamusic) (Members of Morgana Lefay and Tad Morose)

ADD
03-03-2009, 11:39 AM
That Propagandhi album Nick recommended is really good if you're into that Bad Religion style but dig heavier riffs and odd song structures. Personally I'd like it more if the vocals were just stock hardcore shouting (or even better something like the Disfear vocals) instead of being actually sung, but the music is really good and the lyrics are interesting too.

TonyD
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
srsly brah

Haha thank you.

I'm really diggin the new Kylesa after 2 spins.

MetalIsArt
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Hehe, expect a very heavy new God Dethroned-album...

Here's the coverartwork for Passiondale!:

http://www.metaleater.com/imgs/news/goddethroned_passiondale.jpg

DethMaiden
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Here's my to-hear list (of these, I've only actually heard the Kreator all the way through, sadly). It's short, but I'm narrowing. Those last two years doing 40 and 50 albums, I dunno man, I might just do 20 or 25 this year.

Kreator- Hordes of Chaos
Mastodon- Crack the Skye
The Decemberists- Hazards of Love
Queensr˙che- American Soldier
Zombi- Spirit Animal
Wolves in the Throne Room- Black Cascade
My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
Isis- Wavering Radiant
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart- The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
Propagandhi- Supporting Caste

andrew_metalhead
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
CDs I bought so far this year..

Lamb Of God - Wrath
God Forbid - Earthsblood
Sylosis - Conclusion Of An Age
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Thyrfing - Hels Vite
Mantic Ritual - Executioner

I rate all of them very highly (except for Mantic Ritual's which hasn't been delivered to me yet) and I'm glad I have these :)

These are the ones I am eagerly waiting for :

The Answer - Everyday Demons (March 31st)
Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know (April 28th)
Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares (May 19th)
Megadeth - Untitled (September)

Any suggestions on any other stuff I might be missing?

rjturtle9
03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
this is the first time i see andrew post on something that's not on the setlists board haha

i havn't bought anything form this year yet, but i want to get mantic rituals cd

andrew_metalhead
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
this is the first time i see andrew post on something that's not on the setlists board haha

i havn't bought anything form this year yet, but i want to get mantic rituals cd

fuckin A man! i pre-ordered it on the nuclear blast site. comes with an autographed poster too. 12 bucks. Adam told me I could buy it at the Destruction show buy I couldn't wait till 24th lol

Maiden33
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Honestly I've still only heard two full albums from 2009. Saxon and Vision Divine. The Saxon was solid, but the Vision Divine was very disappointing. There's some stuff out there which I need to check out, and lots of stuff due in a few months. The forthcoming Avantasia album due in the fall looks to be a definite highlight of the year for me.

mankvill
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Here's my ranking of the 2009 albums I've heard so far:

1. Absu - Absu
2. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
3. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
4. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
5. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
6. Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos

All albums so far are fantastic.

overkiller
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
1. Absu - Absu

I wasn't crazy about this. Some good parts, but overall kinda :zzz:

mankvill
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I wasn't crazy about this. Some good parts, but overall kinda :zzz:

Not to me. I really enjoy it a whole lot. Not as much as Tara, of course, but I think it comes right after that.

ChildrenofSodom
03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's my to-hear list (of these, I've only actually heard the Kreator all the way through, sadly). It's short, but I'm narrowing. Those last two years doing 40 and 50 albums, I dunno man, I might just do 20 or 25 this year.

You dont have to articulate your opinion of every single album you hear to these internet losers.

overkiller
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm really liking the new Wolves in the Throne Room full-length, but they also have an EP out this year. :eek: Malevolent Grain, I'm going to check it out soon.

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm really liking the new Wolves in the Throne Room full-length, but they also have an EP out this year. :eek: Malevolent Grain, I'm going to check it out soon.

They have a new one out?

overkiller
03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
They have a new one out?

Yeah, Black Cascade. Well, actually, now that I look, it doesn't come out until the 31st.

Metal_Head
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
There's been some pretty strong releases so far. I'm looking forward to the release of Suicide Silence's "No Time To Bleed", which is due out this summer.

SomewhereInTime72
03-12-2009, 01:32 PM
So many albums for these next two months that I need to get my hands on: Skold vs KMFDM, actual KMFDM, MUCC, My Dying Bride, Queensryche, Amorphis, Heaven and Hell.... I'm gonna explode.

Normally, I'd be happy to find this high a concentration of expectation for new music over the span of like half a year. This is intense. :tongue:

ChildrenofSodom
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Amorphis AND MDB? AWESOME!

If only we had a list of releases.....

andrew_metalhead
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Amorphis AND MDB? AWESOME!

If only we had a list of releases.....

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/toppicks/a/cdreleasedates.htm

mankvill
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
http://heavymetal.about.com/od/toppicks/a/cdreleasedates.htm

bookmark'd

Div
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
new Hyades album this year

ravenheart
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Here's my take so far.

Debut album by Nightvision out in April is OUTSTANDING

Stuff already out that's great:

Kreator
Isole
Grave Digger
The New Black
Wizard
Mind Odyssey

Stuff already out that isn't so great:

Hammerfall
Wolf
Deathstars
Sepultura
Nashville Pussy

Stuff out I need to hear:

The Answer
Lamb of God
Wino
Joe Bonamassa
Gothminister

Stuff out soon that's great:

Candlemass
Lions Share
Nasty Idols

More stuff coming I'm looking forward to:

My Dying Bride
Astral Doors
UFO
Queensryche
Megadeth
Krux
Heaven & Hell
ZZ Top
KISS (that's right)
The Black Crowes
Days of The New

Maiden33
03-13-2009, 01:42 PM
That Mind Odyssey CD intrigues me. I guess I should check it out. What are your thoughts on the latest Saxon album?

mankvill
03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Ooh. The new Glorior Belli sounds like it'll be good.

overkiller
03-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Ooh. The new Glorior Belli sounds like it'll be good.

What are they like? Their metal-archives page makes them look pretty generic.

P.S. Nerd alert, their name is Latin for "I Glory in War", I think.

mankvill
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
What are they like? Their metal-archives page makes them look pretty generic.

P.S. Nerd alert, their name is Latin for "I Glory in War", I think.

:lol:

They're pretty much like raw black metal. Think Antaeus, but not as brutal. They're from France, and they're black metal, so you know it's quality.

overkiller
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Speaking of French BM (sort of), the new Amesoeurs leaked! I'm probably not gonna have time to listen to it until tomorrow, but I'm excited :party:

mankvill
03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Speaking of French BM (sort of), the new Amesoeurs leaked! I'm probably not gonna have time to listen to it until tomorrow, but I'm excited :party:

God, that's all they talk about on a certain anonymous image board and I don't get it at all.

overkiller
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
God, that's all they talk about on a certain anonymous image board and I don't get it at all.

Ah, really? I haven't been ... there in a looong time. I'm kinda not surprised they like Amesoeurs though.

Have you ever heard the Ruines Humaines EP?

JRA
03-15-2009, 08:54 PM

4chan?

Div
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
4chan?

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Rules_1_and_2

:nonono:

ravenheart
03-16-2009, 03:51 AM
That Mind Odyssey CD intrigues me. I guess I should check it out. What are your thoughts on the latest Saxon album?

Pretty good. Biff said it's a mix of Inner Sanctum and Lionheart, and he's pretty spot on to be honest.

There's some stuff on there that definitely has the Lionheart vibe, although nothing as good as the stuff on there.

Much better album than The Inner Sanctum though.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2009/saxon-into-the-labyrinth/

First and foremost you need to be checking out 'Dark Hours' by Lions Share. Go to the downloads page on my site. There's a free track on there called 'Judas Must Die'.

ChildrenofSodom
03-16-2009, 05:32 AM
June 9th - Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return

HELLLLLL YEAHHHHHH

ADD
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
This is the winner:

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d22/22671.jpg

Might even be better than Eater of Birds, we'll see how it holds up. Ferocious album though.

es156
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Two that I am looking forward to next week:

Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Wolf - Ravenous

JRA
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Two that I am looking forward to next week:

Holy shit, that does come out next week! :eek: Bitchin!

TonyD
03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I almost forgot because it has been leaked for a month already.

overkiller
03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
*is not looking forward to the next 9 months of Mastodon dicksucking, I mean discussion*

:finger:

JRA
03-17-2009, 06:25 AM
*is not looking forward to the next 9 months of Mastodon dicksucking, I mean discussion*

:finger:

Out of curiosity, have you even heard it?

overkiller
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Out of curiosity, have you even heard it?

Nope.

DethMaiden
03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm listening to Crack the Skye right now. Two songs in and I think I'll probably be blowing them more than in '06. ;)

ADD
03-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm waiting till someone puts the full high quality version online, all the ones out there now are missing the last song.

DethMaiden
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm waiting till someone puts the full high quality version online, all the ones out there now are missing the last song.

www.myspace.com/mastodon

There you go.

b_halperin
03-17-2009, 06:47 PM
im not gonna listen till the 24th

Natrlhi
03-24-2009, 07:30 AM

I have it if you want it. I'm on Soulseek - send me a message and I'll hook you up.

The album is pretty good. I am a fairly big Mastodon fan, so I don't want to be too quick to judge (their stuff sometimes needs time to grow), but I think I still like Leviathan the most. Blood Mountain has been out forever and I still like Leviathan more.

Nat

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm listening to Crack the Skye right now. Two songs in and I think I'll probably be blowing them more than in '06. ;)
When I first heard it, I knew that you would like it because of how prog-oriented it is.

I'll try to go out and pick it up this weekend.

Natrlhi
03-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Here are my 2009 lists:

Anticipating:
4/14/09 - Brutal Truth - Evolution Through Revolution (Two wicked good tracks posted on their MySpace page)
4/16/09 - Emperor - Live Inferno (Live)
4/21/09 - Chimaira - The Infection (New song “Secrets of the Dead” now posted on their MySpace page)
4/21/09 - Big Business - Mind The Drift (new song “Gold and Final” posted on their MySpace page)
4/21/09 - Daath - The Concealers (new songs posted on their MySpace page)
4/27/09 - Cult Of Luna - Fire Was Born (DVD)
April 09 - Keelhaul - Keelhaul’s Triumphant Return to Obscurity (Two new tracks on MySpace…)
5/5/09 - Isis - Wavering Radiant (Featuring Adam Jones of Tool on two tracks) :rocker:
5/5/09 - Disappearer - The Clearing
May 09 - Pelican - TBD (EP) Includes a special guest appearance, but no word who it is yet…
May 09 - Isis - Live 5 (live multi-track recording of the entire "Oceanic" album…live at ATP)
Spring - Caspian - TBD
Spring - Cormorant - Metazoa (New song “Salt of the Earth” now posted on their MySpace page)
6/9/09 - Coalesce - Ox
6/9/09 - Gifts From Enola - From Fathoms (GFE are post-rock…friends of If These Trees Could Talk)
6/30/09 - Clutch - TBD (new song “King of Arizona” posted on their MySpace page)
June 09 - Constants - The Foundation, The Machine, The Ascension
June 09 - Asphyx - Death…the Brutal Way (Recording finished in early March…next stop – mixing)
June 09 - Dysrhythmia - Psychic Maps
July 09 - Slayer - Human Genocide (see MySpace page for in-studio video footage & sound bites)
Summer - Minsk - With Echoes In The Movement Of Stone
Summer - Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Summer - High On Fire - TBD :rocker:
Summer - Necrophagist - TBD
10/2/09 - Belphegor - Werk
Oct 09 - Behemoth - TBD
Oct 09 - Nile - TBD
TBD 09 - Russian Circles - TBD :rocker:
TBD 09 - Baroness - TBD :rocker:
TBD 09 - Converge - Thousands Of Miles Between Us (DVD)
TBD 09 - Converge - TBD (CD)
TBD 09 - Suffocation - Blood Oath
TBD 09 - Red Sparowes - TBD
TBD 09 - Atheist - TBD (will be their first album in 15 years!)
TBD 09 - Julie Christmas - The Bad Wife
TBD 09 - Neurosis - TBD
TBD 09 - Morbid Angel - Nevermore (probably a working title, and not the real album title)
TBD 09 - Pelican - TBD (LP) (Writing is complete as of mid-March / to record in early summer)

Have Listened / Bought:
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos - Not very good...definitely not like their old stuff
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor - Quite brutal and fast...this is classic Cattle Decap!
16 - Bridges To Burn - Very sludgy stuff...I’m liking this album so far…
Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave - Not like original ND, but pretty brutal…still listening…
Sepultura - A-Lex - Not like old (“Roots” era) Sepultura, but this one has some interesting bits
Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist - CD received by mail a week early...this album absolutely crushes!!! You NEED to buy it immediately. :party::rocker::party:
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague - This is a pretty good slab of death metal…HEAVY!!!
The Bakerton Group - El Rojo - I picked this baby up on Valentine’s day...so far, very good (classic TBG)
Psyopus - Odd Senses - Very progressive album…but a bit inaccessible for my taste
Irepress- Sol Eye Sea I - So far, so good…this is really starting to grow on me…nice post-metal
Callisto - Providence - Disappointing release…progressive, but the clean vocals suck hard!
Lamb Of God - Wrath - Same old Lamb of God? Still listening…OK if you’re a fan of theirs
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die - Great album! Much like their first, but with later Prodigy stylings
Revolting Cocks - Sex-O Olympic-O - Good album so far...somewhat like “Ministry meets Rob Zombie”
Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre - Not like original Pestilence, but rocks very hard in its own way
Kylesa - Static Tensions - This album is sounding phenomenal so far…their best release yet! :rocker::rocker:
If These Trees Could Talk - Above The Earth, Below The Sky - (album is now available / two tracks on MySpace)
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind - Might be their best release to date...soaring post-metal
Mastodon - Crack The Skye - Another solid Mastodon album (but I still like “Leviathan” the most)

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Soooooooo stoked for new Converge. Perhaps the only album yet to come out that has a shot at being album of the year for me.

mankvill
03-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Picking up Mastodon tonight.

mankvill
03-24-2009, 09:42 AM
July 09 - Slayer - Human Genocide (see MySpace page for in-studio video footage & sound bites)
Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre - Not like original Pestilence, but rocks very hard in its own way

1. Where did you get that Slayer info? I don't even see it on their myspace page.

2. OH SHIT! I forgot about the new Pestilence!

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh, and "King of Arizona" is not a new song. It was on a Viva La Bam compilation a while back.

Natrlhi
03-24-2009, 10:31 AM
1. Where did you get that Slayer info? I don't even see it on their myspace page.

Yeah, they are really lax (maybe on purpose) at updating their MySpace page with any news about the upcoming album (other than some token in-studio vidz). I saw the target release date in an article somewhere...I have numerous sources I check routinely for upcoming album info. Take it with a grain of salt, as there is no hard date announced officially yet. The tour, however, is set (and on my radar screen f'sho), so I don't think it will be that much longer before the album drops.

2. OH SHIT! I forgot about the new Pestilence!
It's really - almost unexpectedly - good. It isn't at all what I expected (Martin Van Drunen is now busy with Asphyx and Hail of Bullets, but we all knew he would not be on this album anyway), but it is heavy as lead balls, and cooler than a witch's titty in a brass bra. :rocker:

Natrlhi
03-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Oh, and "King of Arizona" is not a new song. It was on a Viva La Bam compilation a while back.

tr00 nuff. I wonder if it will be on the new album - maybe not.

Natrlhi
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Soooooooo stoked for new Converge. Perhaps the only album yet to come out that has a shot at being album of the year for me.

If you like Converge, then Brutal Truth and / or Coalesce might also have a shot at your top ten. I saw Converge live last year at Peabody's in Cleveland, and Jake was a madman. The Red Chord opened up for them, and yeah I know they are metalcore (although feck me are they fast and intense), but they got the crowd pretty stirred up. Then Converge came out and showed those Red Chord boys how it's REALLY done. It was insane. :rocker:

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Brutal Truth are pretty good, but there's just something special about Converge.

DethMaiden
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
It's only March which is kind of my perspective on calling "top albums". There's albums that will come out by the end of this year that I don't even realize are being recorded.

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Hmm. Apparently I need to get the new Napalm Death record.

mankvill
03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Hmm. Apparently I need to get the new Napalm Death record.

Yes yes.

powerslave_85
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes yes.
Listening to it now. Holy shit.

Natrlhi
03-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Ain't it? The new album is even more intense than I expected (almost "Brutal Truth" intense :rocker:). Basically, it's nothing like old Napalm Death , but it's a brand new awesome thing all to itself. The new Pestilence album is the same way (not like the old band's sound, but cool in an all new way) - in fact, I think I might even like that one even more.

Nat :horns:

ADD
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
This year is killing so far, and hella badass albums have still yet to come out :cool:

powerslave_85
03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
OH SHIT. New Agoraphobic Nosebleed next month. So excited.

overkiller
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I figured once I'd heard 10 albums I'd post them, so here they are:

1. Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
2. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
3. Fen - The Malediction Fields
4. Wolves in the Throne Room - Malevolent Grain
5. Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
6. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave
7. Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
8. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
9. Absu - Absu
10. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos

Only really liked 1-6, 7 was pretty good but not really my bag, 8 was pretty bland, as was 9, and 10 I just couldn't stand.

Natrlhi
04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
It's only March which is kind of my perspective on calling "top albums". There's albums that will come out by the end of this year that I don't even realize are being recorded.

Tr00 nuff.

That being said, there are some front-runners already starting to carve out their place on my list of personal favorites. I don't want to give away anything for the end of the year - I hope to participate in the voting for best of 2009 - but two of the best so far have to be the new Kylesa and the new Giant Squid. These albums are absolutely crushing! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

2009 is doin' fine!

DethMaiden
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Crack the Skye is my favorite so far. It might stay my favorite, who knows, it's pretty fucking great. :

ravenheart
04-13-2009, 04:13 PM
One of the best discs I've heard so far is the self-titled debut by Semlah.

If you're into the likes of Candlemass (who's new one is pretty fucking good too) check them out.

Natrlhi
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Crack the Skye is my favorite so far. It might stay my favorite, who knows, it's pretty fucking great. :

It's growing on me. I still like Remission and Leviathan a ton more.

It's not that I don't like progressive metal - I could post a whole new thread(s) on this topic alone - and it's also not that I didn't want to see Mastodon get more progressive, because that's one of the things I like most about them...it's just that they seem to have put the sledgehammer away for the most part and only use it sparingly these days.

I've just always wanted Mastodon to continue crushing my skull without mercy - since that's what they did on their first two albums!!! :rocker:

P.S. - If you're really liking the progressive style of Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye, you might want to try out Burst...their last two albums are fantastic (last year's "Lazarus Bird" was my #2 album of the year...topped only by obZen).

ADD
04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
If you're feelin the vibe of mid-90's Cathedral, Sleep's Holy Mountain, Electric Wizard and the like then heads up for Black Pyramid's debut self-titled album which just came out, great tones and great riffs with a modern sounding production/mixing job that doesn't suck. Total doom.

GWAR654
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest floor
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague

:rocker::rocker: fuck yes best albums so far this year

mankvill
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
So far for me:

1. Absu - Absu
3. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
4. Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
5. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
6. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
7. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
8. Daath - The Concealers
9. Mantic Ritual - Executioner
10. Kylesa - Static Tensions

sorry Kreator and Brutal Truth :(

Maiden33
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Current Top 5 (out of 13 or 14 releases):

1.Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
http://www.ilikemusic.com/images/article_images/full/bloodbound_f.jpg

2.Silent Call - Creations From a Chosen Path
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/3856/cover_5747232172008.jpg

3.ColdSpell - Infinite Stargaze
http://www.rockavenuerecords.com/pic-labo/simg/infinitestargaze_coldspell.jpg

4.Lion's Share - Darkest Hours
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_62dOZ8_zr4E/Sbfcmq2MwvI/AAAAAAAAER0/uYhWa1Y58P8/s200/Cover.jpg

5.Place Vendome - Streets of Fire
http://mclub.com.ua/images/alb/cover11186_97316.jpg

Honorable mentions:
Saxon - Into the Labyrinth
Herman Frank - Loyal to None

SerpentineVIVIVI
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't know, Slayer's and Megadeth's are supposed to come out later on.....now that will be tough competition. :rocker:

Don't get me wrong though, we've had Kreator, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse, and Warbringer, etc. That extrememly tough deision will have to come in December! ;)

Div
04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
If you're feelin the vibe of mid-90's Cathedral, Sleep's Holy Mountain, Electric Wizard and the like then heads up for Black Pyramid's debut self-titled album which just came out, great tones and great riffs with a modern sounding production/mixing job that doesn't suck. Total doom.

this album is fucking ill dude, thanks alot for the recommendation

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 01:19 PM
My favorite as it stands is still Crack the Skye, but on my nice neat Excel document of albums I need to hear this year, I've only heard six of twenty-one, so I dunno what that will look like come summer when I get some time to explore more music.

Although I think the Decemberists will be taking home the biggest disappointment award. Fuck you guys, nineteen songs and only two of them are any good?

ADD
04-23-2009, 02:28 PM
My favorite as it stands is still Crack the Skye, but on my nice neat Excel document of albums I need to hear this year, I've only heard six of twenty-one, so I dunno what that will look like come summer when I get some time to explore more music.

Although I think the Decemberists will be taking home the biggest disappointment award. Fuck you guys, nineteen songs and only two of them are any good?

Fuck Excel sheets, just get the new Cobalt, Slough Feg, and Black Pyramid before you do anything else :D

Glad you dig the riffs Div :horns:

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Fuck Excel sheets, just get the new Cobalt, Slough Feg, and Black Pyramid before you do anything else :D

Glad you dig the riffs Div :horns:

The Cobalt is on there, but Slough Feg and Black Pyramid......meh, maybe by December, but right now I have no desire to hear those. If I heard everything remotely interesting to me I'd hear 10000000 albums or so, so I have to be discerning. ;)

ADD
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
The Cobalt is on there, but Slough Feg and Black Pyramid......meh, maybe by December, but right now I have no desire to hear those. If I heard everything remotely interesting to me I'd hear 10000000 albums or so, so I have to be discerning. ;)
Haha word :cool:

Word to the wise you can probably skip the new Isis without missing anything if you're trying to hear that one. Actually well its not bad, but their streak of outstanding albums definitely ended. It's just ok, kinda boring.

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Haha word :cool:

Word to the wise you can probably skip the new Isis without missing anything if you're trying to hear that one. Actually well its not bad, but their streak of outstanding albums definitely ended. It's just ok, kinda boring.

I'm seeing them in June so I do wanna familiarize myself. Plus, they play in the Isis formula, so at the very least I'll like it. I just love what they do.

ADD
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm seeing them in June so I do wanna familiarize myself. Plus, they play in the Isis formula, so at the very least I'll like it. I just love what they do.

Yeah I saw that they're touring, not really down with the support bands though and I've seen em a couple times before so I dunno if I'm gonna go. Hope they put on a good show when they roll thru Ohio :cool:

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah I saw that they're touring, not really down with the support bands though and I've seen em a couple times before so I dunno if I'm gonna go. Hope they put on a good show when they roll thru Ohio :cool:

Who are the support bands? The venue site didn't have any listed.

SomewhereInTime72
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

PELICAN is one of the openers I think. :cool:

DethMaiden
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
PELICAN is one of the openers I think. :cool:

Ooooh, the fire in their throats can beckon my thaw any day. :cool:

mastodon421
04-25-2009, 11:37 AM
So far Crack The Skye and Wrath have been the best. The Harvest Floor and Earthsblood are pretty good as well. I actually havent listened to new Napalm Death or Chimaria yet. Maybe i should

Eagerly awaiting New Black Dahlia Murder,Slayer,Killswitch Engage,Between The Buried and Me and Korn

Natrlhi
04-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Shame Shame Shame Shame on you, dude! :chair: :nonono:

The new Isis is very good, but you have to give it some time. Don't jump to any hasty conclusions. I mean, for Pete's sake - it has Adam Jones from Tool on two of the tracks (I don't know which ones they are yet, since I have the album illegally - for now ;) - and don't have any liner notes)! Tracks one, two, five and seven are the best ones...but as I say that, I have to laugh because I just named off over half the tracks on the album...:D

If you're not much of a fan of post-metal, then you might never get into it, but if you are a fan, then I think you will grow to love Wavering Radiant (for me personally, I liked it right out of the gate).

Also, in response to DethMaiden and others...the upcoming tour has Isis headlining, with Pelican in primary support. The third band is generally going to be Tombs (pretty good post-metal outfit, currently signed to Relapse Records), but in Cleveland on the 9th of June (the show I am going to see), they are parting ways with Tombs and picking up Keelhaul and taking them along on the tour for a week or two. Keelhaul is an awesome post-metal / prog / doom outfit from Cleveland whose new album should be coming out any day now...they are signed to Hydrahead and are a good fit - not to mention friends with - both Isis and Pelican.

Speaking of Pelican, I just saw them on Saturday night at the annual Dark Lord Day festival at Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, Indiana. The show was awesome (and free, too! :party:). I don't know the entire set list, because they played a bunch of brand new stuff (they are working on both an EP and a full-length album, both of which are due out this year - Pelican have mentioned on their MySpace page that the EP is expected to be available in time for the upcoming tour). What they did play sounded excellent, though. I do know for sure that they played at least one song from City of Echoes, and one from TFIOTWBTT, in addition to a cover of an old Earth song. At any rate, I videotaped the entire set, so once I have an idea of the actual set list I will post it separately.

Isis + Pelican + Keelhaul (for twelve measly damn dollars, too!) = one hell of an awesome show!!! :fist::rocker::fist:

Oh, and the new Cobalt destroys. I didn't even know who they were until I saw someone talking about them on this site, and I went out and got it post-haste. Excellent stuff. Whoever it was that had originally posted about the new album...thanks for the tip! :rocker:

Natrlhi
04-27-2009, 07:22 AM

Sounds like you're probably talking about the Grog Shop...in which case we are going to the same show. I will warn you if you haven't been there already that it is fairly small. This means two things: first, the show might actually have some potential to sell out, so get your ticket(s) now if you haven't already...and second, the acoustics might be a bit crappy for a band as big as Isis, but since I love them so much I am going to have a blast regardless (and also, I did see Pelican there once, and although they damn near blew the roof off the place, it actually wasn't too bad, acoustically speaking).

jhdeity
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm with mastodon421. The best cd's so far in 2009:

1) Lamb of God - Wrath (only Slayer might be able to top this)

2) Mastodon - Crack The Skye (in this case cleaner is better)

3) Chimaira - The Infection

The 3 bonus tracks put Wrath so far over the other 2 to me. There are 10 great songs on this cd. I do like the instrumental versions of Crack the Skye also. Chimaira is still growing on me but these guys are the most underrated band in their genre

Spiral_Slave
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
My favorite albums of '09 so far...

Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
SuidAkrA - Crogacht
Eluveitie - Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion

Also enjoying the new Alestorm, Dark Moor, and Delain albums.

ADD
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Shame Shame Shame Shame on you, dude! :chair: :nonono:

The new Isis is very good, but you have to give it some time. Don't jump to any hasty conclusions. I mean, for Pete's sake - it has Adam Jones from Tool on two of the tracks (I don't know which ones they are yet, since I have the album illegally - for now ;) - and don't have any liner notes)! Tracks one, two, five and seven are the best ones...but as I say that, I have to laugh because I just named off over half the tracks on the album...:D

I can't tell either which songs have Adam on them. It took me a legit 4-5 listens through to start to dig it, but by that point I think its just cuz you get familiar with the songs and the different parts, which always makes things sound better. It's a cool album, I just don't think its on par with any of their previous material.

The opening bands in SF for that tour are Helms Alee and Mammifer, but even if it was Pelican/Tombs that wouldn't make me wanna go. Keelhaul though would be tight :cool:

And I'm glad you dig the Cobalt, everyone really should hear it.

mankvill
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
SuidAkrA - Crogacht

i need dis

Natrlhi
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
The opening bands in SF for that tour are Helms Alee and Mammifer

Helms Alee are teh SHIT. :blaze::rocker::party:

They sound like a cross between Torche and the new Kylesa album (which rocks balls, incidentally). I can't wait for the day when they decide to tour the Midwest...

mankvill
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
1. Absu - Absu
8. Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts Of Hoodlums
9. Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos

Revision. Whole Wheat Bread is in and Kreator is back in.

Natrlhi
05-04-2009, 08:08 AM
1. Absu - Absu
8. Whole Wheat Bread - Hearts Of Hoodlums

Revision. Whole Wheat Bread is in and Kreator is back in.

Not a bad list...we like a lot of the same stuff. You need to bump Kylesa up a bit, though, and your list would be just about right. :D

Also, you forgot the new Pestilence. And who the hell is Whole Wheat Bread?!? :wtf:

mankvill
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Not a bad list...we like a lot of the same stuff. You need to bump Kylesa up a bit, though, and your list would be just about right. :D

Also, you forgot the new Pestilence. And who the hell is Whole Wheat Bread?!? :wtf:

Still don't have the new Pestilence! :lol:

And Whole Wheat Bread ain't nothin' ta fuck wit!

SomewhereInTime72
05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Bump for my mid-year thoughts:

I haven't heard that many albums so far this year, but here's a ranking of the best ones that I've heard.

1. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
2. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
3. KMFDM - Blitz
4. Skold vs. KMFDM - Skold vs. KMFDM
5. Isis - Wavering Radiant
6. Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction/Street Sweeper - NINJA EP (<- I was tempted not to count this because it's like 6 songs and 2 of them are old songs, but I've listened to it plenty of times for quick listens and it's really nice.)
7. Doctor Jeep - Wizardry EP ( :eek: Actually just remixes by someone I know but they're pretty awesome http://doctorjeep.bandcamp.com/ )
8. Wino - Punctuated Equilibrium
9. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
10. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Overall a good year so far, since many of the big name albums are not out yet. :D Except for the new Queensryche and Depeche Mode, which I found to be disappointments and not worth buying. :(

mankvill
05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
10. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

adobe slabs for my girls
brosport is the jam of the century
adobe slabs for my girls
leaksport is the leak of the century

Maiden33
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
1.Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
2.Killing Touch - One of a Kind
3.Silent Call - Creations From a Chosen Path
4.ColdSpell - Infinite Stargaze
5.Anubis Gate - The Detached

SomewhereInTime72
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
adobe slabs for my girls
brosport is the jam of the century
adobe slabs for my girls
leaksport is the leak of the century

:eyes:

DethMaiden
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
1. Propagandhi- Supporting Caste
2. Mastodon- Crack the Skye

Everything else I've heard has a been a good deal worse than these (although many have been good) and I'm not sure where I'd put them just yet.

mastodon421
05-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Havent listened to that many records this year but hear the 10 best

Here All The Records I have listened to this year

Mastodon- Crack The Skye 10/10
Lamb Of God- Wrath 9.5/10
Cattle Decaptation-The Harvest Floor 8/10
God Forbid-Earthsblood 8.5/10
Doom-Born Like This 9/10
Kylesa-Static Tensions 8.5/10
Eminem Relapse 8.5/10
A Day To Remember-Homesick 7/10
The Devil Wears Prada-With Roots Above and Branches Below 6.5/10
Kreator- Hordes of Chaos 8/10
Oceano-Depths 7/10
Lazarus A.D-The Onslaught 8.5/10
Unholy-New Life Behind Closed Eyes-5/10
Cannibal Corpse-Evisceration Plague 7.5/10
Rose Funeral-The Resting Sonata 2/10
[i think this came out in 09]

Still havent listened to but plan on listening to
Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave
Heaven and Hell-The Devil You Know
Chimaria-The Infection
Lacuna Coil-Shallow Life
Hatebreed-For The Lions

Eagerly Awaiting the new records from
Between The Buried and Me
Slayer
Killswitch Engage
The Red Chord
Devildriver
The Black Dahlia Murder
Dream Theater
Job For A Cowboy[runs and hides]
Arsonists Get All The Girls[continues to run and hide]
Obituary
August Burns Red
Despised Icon
Nile

SomewhereInTime72
05-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Everything else I've heard has a been a good deal worse than these (although many have been good) and I'm not sure where I'd put them just yet.

Yeah my list is basically guesswork and not solid at all past around #4, but I figured I'd just fill it out with the albums I liked best so far. ;)

I also forgot to mention Heaven & Hell as a disappointment, but yeah... possibly the biggest disappointment of all.

DethMaiden
05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah my list is basically guesswork and not solid at all past around #4, but I figured I'd just fill it out with the albums I liked best so far. ;)

I also forgot to mention Heaven & Hell as a disappointment, but yeah... possibly the biggest disappointment of all.

I will say that For Lies I Sire is the most likely #3 right now and will only climb with more listens. They NEEDED the full-time violinist back. :drool:

powerslave_85
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I think the only thing that might unseat Propagandhi this year is the new Converge. I suspect the new records by Regina Spektor, Broadway Calls and Clutch will very likely make the top 10 as well. So far my favorites are:

Propagandhi-Supporting Caste
Mastodon-Crack the Skye
Agoraphobic Nosebleed- Agorapocalypse
Napalm Death- Time Waits For No Slave

Biggest disappointment thus far has been the new Green Day, no contest.

SomewhereInTime72
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I will say that For Lies I Sire is the most likely #3 right now and will only climb with more listens. They NEEDED the full-time violinist back. :drool:

Yeah, that addition really makes a big difference. :bliss: It's easily the best MDB album since The Dreadful Hours, and possibly as good as/better than that one too. It's really awesome.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 03:52 PM
God, that Heaven and Hell album was such a fucking colossal disappointment. I haven't listened to it since about 2 weeks after it leaked, and probably will not until the end of the year.

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Biggest disappointment thus far has been the new Green Day, no contest.

I would REALLY struggle to be disappointed by a Green Day album.

On the H&H front, I like it. For Lies I Sire will make my top ten, I'm sure of it.

At the current rate my entire top ten will be doom metal, plus Ripper's album. I've got six outstanding doom albums so far, and it's May :D And Cathedral's new one hasn't even arrived yet.

Biggest disappointment for me is tricky... the new Lacuna Coil blows. Oh, and Steven Wilson's solo album is awful.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM
My dissatisfaction with most of the new releases from bands I already liked is forcing me into checking out shit from a number of new bands who put stuff out this year.

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
My dissatisfaction with most of the new releases from bands I already liked is forcing me into checking out shit from a number of new bands who put stuff out this year.

Listening to Lions Share yet? ;)

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Listening to Lions Share yet? ;)

Yeah I got that back in like February. I really enjoyed it. It's a good example of when predictability doesn't hurt. It's pretty much by-the-numbers but it's a really enjoyable album. It's in the top 10 of the year for me thus far, out of about 25 albums checked out.

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
They changed big-time when Patrick joined. Much heavier and much darker on the last two discs than before.

Great live too. Better than Astral Doors, actually.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 04:12 PM
They changed big-time when Patrick joined. Much heavier and much darker on the last two discs than before.

Great live too. Better than Astral Doors, actually.

Yeah, I have "Fall From Grace", quite different.

And unfortunately I've never seen either so I wouldn't know. :(

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
And unfortunately I've never seen either so I wouldn't know. :(

They don't seem to get away from mainland Europe much.

I saw Astral Doors in London once, opening a Blind Guardian and Stratovarius co-headliner. Other than that, saw both Astral Doors and Lions Share at Sweden Rock.

Don't think Lions Share have ever been as far as England, let alone America.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 04:17 PM
They don't seem to get away from mainland Europe much.

I saw Astral Doors in London once, opening a Blind Guardian and Stratovarius co-headliner. Other than that, saw both Astral Doors and Lions Share at Sweden Rock.

Don't think Lions Share have ever been as far as England, let alone America.

Yeah Astral Doors were originally supposed to be on Prog Power VIII in '08, then X this year. Apparently they could never reach an agreement with the organizers though. Shame too. Them being the final band instead of some of the other selections could have very well been the swing factor for me to go. God knows I want to see Royal Hunt more than fucking imaginable.

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah Astral Doors were originally supposed to be on Prog Power VIII in '08, then X this year. Apparently they could never reach an agreement with the organizers though. Shame too. Them being the final band instead of some of the other selections could have very well been the swing factor for me to go. God knows I want to see Royal Hunt more than fucking imaginable.

I passed RH on one of the stages at SRF last year. They were playing when I arrived that day. Sounded good. I love Mark Boals. Never really paid attention to the band before he joined.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I passed RH on one of the stages at SRF last year. They were playing when I arrived that day. Sounded good. I love Mark Boals. Never really paid attention to the band before he joined.

Yeah Mark is great. The album they put out with him last year was my #1 of the year, among the band's best work. Mark is just another in a line of fantastic singers for the band though, with John West and DC Cooper preceding him. ProgPower will be their first ever US show, and odds are they won't be back any time soon. Their fanbase is incredibly small and selective the world over.

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah Mark is great. The album they put out with him last year was my #1 of the year, among the band's best work. Mark is just another in a line of fantastic singers for the band though, with John West and DC Cooper preceding him. ProgPower will be their first ever US show, and odds are they won't be back any time soon. Their fanbase is incredibly small and selective the world over.

I might check out their albums with John West. Something about DC Cooper has never clicked with me.

Maiden33
05-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I might check out their albums with John West. Something about DC Cooper has never clicked with me.

Yeah, DC has a very interesting voice. Some love it, some hate it. I just happen to like it. John West's interpretations of his songs found on the 2006 live CD/DVD are probably better IMO. However the band's two albums with DC are collectively my favorites. The albums with John West are not as good on the whole. The Mission and Paper Blood are very solid though.

es156
05-23-2009, 04:44 PM
On the H&H front, I like it.

I like the new H&H as well.

At the current rate my entire top ten will be doom metal, plus Ripper's album. I've got six outstanding doom albums so far, and it's May :D And Cathedral's new one hasn't even arrived yet.

I am guessing that the new Candlemass is 1 of the 6. It is very good. What are the other 5?

ravenheart
05-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I am guessing that the new Candlemass is 1 of the 6. It is very good. What are the other 5?

Semlah, My Dying Bride, Isole, Pylon and Forsaken.

Div
05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
well the new slough feg is getting my #1 spot this year because im a fanboy, and nothing short of a surprise maiden album will change my mind.

the black pyramid album just might be #2.

Streetlight is putting out two albums this year, so those will probably show up in my list as well.

the Kreator album wasnt bad, per se, but it was easily forgettable.

es156
05-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Semlah, My Dying Bride, Isole, Pylon and Forsaken.

Thanks! I will be checking those out tonight. :)

ravenheart
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks! I will be checking those out tonight. :)

Also check out Nomad Son. Their album came out last year, but I just discovered them this year. Awesome Candlemass-style epic doom.

Div
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
here's a few im still looking forward to in hearing 2009:

gamma ray
hyades
exodus
manowar (maybe 2010?)
tom waits
streetlight manifesto

and some others i cant remember off the top of my head

ChildrenofSodom
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm excited for the new Darkest Hour coming out in June.

DethMaiden
05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Okay, so here's a terrible attempt at a top 10 as of now, with tons of stuff I still need to hear:

3. My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
4. St. Vincent- Actor
5. Isis- Wavering Radiant
6. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart- The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
7. Dream Theater- Black Clouds and Silver Linings
8. Kreator- Hordes of Chaos
9. Zombi- Spirit Animal
10. Karl Sanders- Saurian Exorcisms

Biggest disappointments so far: The Decemberists (wtf your last two were masterpieces), Heaven & Hell (well, if I had any expectations in the first place it would be anyway)

My current "to hear" list:
Cobalt- Gin
Giant Squid- The Ichthyologist
Fen- The Malediction Fields
Amesoeurs- Amesoeurs
Wolves in the Throne Room- Malevolent Grain
Slough Feg- Ape Uprising
Clutch- Strange Cousins from the West
Redemption- Snowfall on Judgment Day
Nevermore- Obsidian Conspiracy
The Mars Volta- Octahedron

ADD
05-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Slough Feg's new album jams hella fat. Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound new one is mellow to blaze to, has a warm sunny vibe like late 60's psych rock but kinda mysterious and warped sounding at the same time.

Maiden33
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
list of 2009 releases I'm still looking forward to (that I know about now), in rough chronological order:

Pathosray - Sunless Skies
Magnum - Into the Valley of the Moon King
Jorn - Spirit Black
Lord - Set in Stone
Jaded Heart - Perfect Insanity
Astral Doors - TBA
Thunderstone - TBA (probably will suck)
Sonata Arctica - TBA (probably will suck)
Jon Oliva's Pain - TBA
Avantasia - The Scarecrow II
Vanden Plas - TBA
Circus Maximus - TBA
Gamma Ray - TBA
Brainstorm - TBA
Jag Panzer - TBA

Natrlhi
05-26-2009, 06:40 AM
My current "to hear" list:
Cobalt- Gin
Giant Squid- The Ichthyologist
Fen- The Malediction Fields
Amesoeurs- Amesoeurs
Wolves in the Throne Room- Malevolent Grain
Slough Feg- Ape Uprising
Clutch- Strange Cousins from the West
Nevermore- Obsidian Conspiracy
The Mars Volta- Octahedron

You've got that Cobalt album in the right spot - it is incredible. Giant Squid's latest is also a near-masterpiece. I just heard about the upcoming Mars Volta album...that was excellent news! :rocker:

Spiral_Slave
05-26-2009, 07:44 AM
The Cage album "Science Of Annihilation" kicks total ass.

ravenheart
05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm looking forward to:

Demon
Cathedral
ZZ Top
Ace Frehley
Megadeth
Nevermore
Jorn
Brainstorm
Astral Doors
Bourbon Crow
Spice & The RJ Band
Chickenfoot
U.D.O.

Oh, and the new Mystic Prophecy fucking rules, power/trad. fans.

Maiden33
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Demon
Jorn
Brainstorm
Astral Doors

Oh, and the new Mystic Prophecy fucking rules, power/trad. fans.

Excited for the first 4 myself, even though I've already been told the new Jorn is in the vein of the last album, so basically just kinda boring traditional rock/metal. Jorn is one of the world's best voices, but he needs a great band to show it. The writing in a lot of his solo work is so bland.

And Mystic Prophecy has really never done much for me. You're already the 3rd or 4th person to tell me about the new one, but nothing the band has put out before ever really grabbed me. I'll check it out though.

Maiden33
05-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Oh shit, totally forgotten about this, and it's due relatively soon.

ravenheart
05-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Couple of ones I forgot about:

Chris Caffery
Masterplan
Redemption
Destruction (live album)

Maiden33
05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Chris Caffery

:confused:
Chris Caffery doesn't have a forthcoming album.

ravenheart
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
:confused:
Chris Caffery doesn't have a forthcoming album.

Well, it's 'House of Insanity'. I know it came out in Feb over there, but it's not out here until July on AFM Records.

Maiden33
05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, it's 'House of Insanity'. I know it came out in Feb over there, but it's not out here until July on AFM Records.

Actually it came out digitally in November or December 2008. It has become one of the strangest fucking releases though. It's been floating around for a good 9 months even though it hasn't actually been properly released anywhere yet. I still think the only place you can buy a physical copy is directly through him.

Natrlhi
05-29-2009, 07:54 AM
5/26 - Minsk - With Echoes In The Movement Of Stone
Spring 2009 - Cormorant - Metazoa
6/4 - Pelican - Ephemeral (EP)
6/9 - Coalesce - Ox
6/9 - Gifts From Enola - From Fathoms
6/9 - Overmars - Born Again
6/12 - Voivod - Infini
6/22 - Asphyx - Death…the Brutal Way
6/23 - The Mars Volta - Octahedron
6/30 - Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow
June 2009 - Constants - The Foundation, The Machine, The Ascension (3xLP on vinyl, CD to follow)
June 2009 - Jesu - Infinity
7/7 - Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West
7/7 - Suffocation - Blood Oath
7/7 - Slayer - Human Genocide
7/7 - Dysrhythmia - Psychic Maps
7/21 - Keelhaul - Keelhaul’s Triumphant Return to Obscurity
July 2009 - Jesu - Opiate Sun (EP)
8/11 - Behemoth - Evangelion
August 2009 - High On Fire - TBD
Summer 2009 - Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Summer 2009 - Necrophagist - TBD
September 2009 - Caspian - Tertia (album finished as of March 30)
September 2009 - Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious
10/2 - Belphegor - Werk
10/11 - Lair of the Minotaur - War Metal Battle Master (DVD)
October 2009 - Nile - TBD
TBD 2009 - Isis - Live 5 (live multi-track recording of the entire "Oceanic" album…live at ATP)
TBD 2009 - Russian Circles - TBD (some writing is complete)
TBD 2009 - Baroness (sans Brian Blickle / with new guitarist Peter Adams) - TBD
TBD 2009 - Converge - Thousands Of Miles Between Us (DVD)
TBD 2008 - Converge - TBD (CD) Writing as of the end of 2008
TBD 2009 - Red Sparowes - TBD
TBD 2009 - Atheist - TBD (will be their first album in 15 years!)
TBD 2009 - Julie Christmas (1st Solo Album) - The Bad Wife
TBD 2009 - Neurosis- TBD (label Neurot Records has confirmed new material is in the works)
TBD 2009 - Morbid Angel- Nevermore (<--probably a working title, and not the real album title)
TBD 2009 - Pelican - TBD (LP) Writing for their new full-length is complete (as of March) / to record in early summer
TBD 2009 - Skeletonwitch - TBD

ADD
05-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Useful, thanks dude :cool:

DethMaiden
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I finally like ten albums! Here's the tentative list with plenty yet to hear:

2. My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
3. Mastodon- Crack the Skye
4. St. Vincent- Actor
5. Slough Feg- Ape Uprising
6. The Mars Volta- Octahedron
7. Fen- The Malediction Fields
8. Mono- Hymn to the Immortal Wind
9. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart- The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
10. Dream Theater- Black Clouds & Silver Linings

DethMaiden
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Incidentally, this is my current "to hear" list. Most of it isn't out yet I don't think.

Wolves in the Throne Room Malevolent Grain
Giant Squid The Ichthyologist
Clutch Strange Cousins from the West
Redemption Snowfall on Judgment Day
Nevermore Obsidian Conspiracy
Porcupine Tree The Incident
Cobalt Gin
Wolves in the Throne Room Black Cascade
Immortal All Shall Fall

mankvill
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
6/22 - Asphyx - Death…the Brutal Way

When's the US release?

And the new Skeletonwitch CD, Breathing The Fire comes out October 14th. (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10446)

mastodon421
06-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Ive listened to a couple more records here they are

Dream Theater-Black Clouds and Silver Linings 8.5/10
Lacuna Coil-Shallow Life 8/10
Killswitch Engage-Killswitch Engage 9/10
Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God 9/10
Hatebreed- For The Lions 7.5/10

and this added to what ive already listened to...

Doom-Born Like This 9/10
Eminem Relapse 8.5/10
Oceano-Depths 7/10

Still a lot of records that i am really excited about coming out this year. This has been a fantastic year for metal and it going to get even better.

makethemsuffer12
06-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Ive listened to a couple more records here they are

lolwut?

mastodon421
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
it leaked and I listened to it. its kicks ass.

Indestructible
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
ive heard

the devil you know -heaven and hell
Dream Theater - Black clouds & silver linings
wrath-lamb of god
lacuna coil-shallow life

eminem - relapse

still need to listen to american soilder from queensryche im sure that will be 2nd or 3rd. and then alot of albums come out after the summer ends

Natrlhi
06-26-2009, 06:00 AM
[re: Asphyx - Death...The Brutal Way]
When's the US release?

Looks like not until September 1: http://www.smnnews.com/2009/06/11/asphyx-lock-down-us-release-for-deaththe-brutal-way/

...so ya better hit that interweb like I did and get it now :D (speaking of which, I was listening to it when I read your post...NICE!!! :rocker:)

And the new Skeletonwitch CD, Breathing The Fire comes out October 14th. (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10446)

...can't f'ing wait. :rocker: Thanks for the info.

Natrlhi
06-26-2009, 06:06 AM

I am having a bit of a hard time really getting into it (but then again, I could say the same for every album since Deloused, which is the only one I instantly liked...)

It's definitely not as fast, heavy, frenetic, whatever...it's way more mellow (at least on the whole). Oh well, I'm sure it will grow on me - all of TMV's albums have. :D

Yes. Awesome post-rock album. :blaze:

Natrlhi
06-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Incidentally, this is my current "to hear" list. Most of it isn't out yet I don't think.

Wolves in the Throne Room Malevolent Grain
Giant Squid The Ichthyologist
Clutch Strange Cousins from the West
Redemption Snowfall on Judgment Day
Nevermore Obsidian Conspiracy
Porcupine Tree The Incident
Cobalt Gin
Wolves in the Throne Room Black Cascade
Immortal All Shall Fall

Giant Squid has been out since February. If you do not get yourself a copy and listen to it soon, I will be forced to pummel you about the head and neck. :boxer: :chair: :D

:hmm:

:D

...and the same goes (roughly) for Cobalt, which came out in March.

Indestructible
06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
black clouds & silver linings is tied with the devil you know

mastodon421
07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
im not really liking the new Mars Volta album at all. Its not as frantic or crazy and that what i love about Volta. Not impressed and i am very dissapointed in that album. I love them and Frances The Mute and De-Louged are among my fave albums ever.

Meanwhile there was actually a plesant surprise that i just listened to. Job For A Cowboy's new disc Ruination is actually really good. I always thought they where a decent band i wasnt with all the haters but i wasnt really obessed like the mallcore kids where. The mallcore kids are going to be PISSED when they hear this record because there is no pig squeals anymore. Its a lot better and they have evolved for the better. Very impressed with them.

In the process of listening to the New Naplam Death and Darkest Hour records as we speak.

Spiral_Slave
07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
My favorite albums of the year thus far....(In no order)

Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
Cage - Science Of Annihilation
Eluveitie - Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion
SuidAkrA - Crogacht
Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares

DethMaiden
07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Mono's new one is climbing. Rapidly. Probably second behind Propagandhi. I listened to it three times yesterday.

ADD
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Acquired the new YOB, first new one I've gotten all summer, haven't been in the right headspace to check it out yet though. Might be the only thing that could rival Cobalt, but that's doubtful.

Spiral_Slave
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Acquired the new YOB, first new one I've gotten all summer, haven't been in the right headspace to check it out yet though. Might be the only thing that could rival Cobalt, but that's doubtful.

I'm not holding my breath, but have you by any chance checked out the new Cage?

mankvill
07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
1. Absu - Absu
8. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
8. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God

Daath is out. Album has lost its' appeal to me.

And WWB is changed with Heaven and Hell. :light:

Still have a lot to listen to this year.

Maiden33
07-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Current top 10 is looking like this:
01.Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
02.Killing Touch - One of a Kind
03.ColdSpell - Infinite Stargaze
04.Vindictiv - Ground Zero
05.Outloud - We Will Rock You to Hell and Back Again
06.Saxon - Into the labyrinth
07.Anubis Gate - The Detached
08.Lion's Share - Darkest Hour
09.Place Vendome - Streets of Fire
10.Jorn - Spirit Black

Dream Theater and Stratovarius both deserve mentions for albums considerably better than anything I had expected. Both would rank between 11th and 15th for me, out of nearly 40 albums. Tons of duds though, but I guess that's what you get when you grab everything of remote interest to you.
Biggest expectations for the remainder of the year:
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day (September)
Lord - Set in Stone (August)
Jaded Heart - Perfect Insanity (September/October)
and Avantasia - The Scarecrow II provided it actually comes out this year.

ravenheart
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
08.Lion's Share - Darkest Hour

Told you ;)

ADD
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm not holding my breath, but have you by any chance checked out the new Cage?
Nah man, they lost me after Darker Than Black, that was different times back then. Still think some of those old songs are great though.

Albums worthy of special mention so far in 2009: Cobalt, Mastodon, Slough Feg, YOB, Drudkh, Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound, Radio Moscow, Kylesa

JuuKun
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
So far?

1. God Dethroned - Passiondale
2. Samael - Above
3. Behemoth - Evangelion
4. General Surgery - Corpus In Extremis: Analysing Necroticism
5. Inmoria - Invisible Wounds
6. HDK - System Overload
7. Amorphis - Skyforger
8. Suidakra - Crogacht
9. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
10. Adagio - Archangels in Black

I still have a LOT to listen to, though. But that's how it looks right now.

mastodon421
07-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Due to shit wheater i have now listened to quite a few more records. Here's what i have listend to recently

Darkest Hour-The Eternal Return 8/10
Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave 8.5/10
Job For A Cowboy-Ruination 9/10
Chimaria-The Infection 6.5/10
The Mars Volta-Octahedron 4.5/10 [huge letdown]
Suicide Silence-No Time To Bleed 7/10
Born Of Osiris- A Higher Place 7.5/10
Green Day-21st Century Breakdown 2/10 [idk why i listened to this]
Warbringer-Waking Into Nightmares 8/10
August Burns Red-Consellations 8/10

Next in line to listen to
God Dethroned[havent heard much of there material and ive heard good things]
Devildriver
The Crimson Armada
Woe Of Tyrants
and a bunch when they are released or leak

and this added to what ive already listened to...

Doom-Born Like This 9/10
Eminem Relapse 8.5/10
Oceano-Depths 7/10

ravenheart
07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
For thrash fans, debut album from Italy's Planar Evil is excellent.

LoveInSlowMotion
07-09-2009, 07:30 AM
This has been an incredibly dissappointing year for me.

Didn't like new Lamb of God
Didn't like new Chimiara
Didn't like new Devildriver

But fuck man, at least Behemoth is still awesome. And new Ensiferum in a few months, and they never dissapoint.

Div
07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
noones repping the new devastator album?

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
This has been an incredibly dissappointing year for me.

Didn't like new Lamb of God
Didn't like new Chimiara
Didn't like new Devildriver

But fuck man, at least Behemoth is still awesome. And new Ensiferum in a few months, and they never dissapoint.

You really don't like the new LOG or DD?

nxtVH90
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
so far i think my favorite album of 2009 is Wrath. but i am waiting to be blown away by Endgame and World Painted Blood :rocker:

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
There is quite a lot to choose from, and with Megadeth and Slayer on the way, and many left to listen to, this list can and will change eventually. This is current, and I'm anxious to wait out til the end of the year!

1) Behemoth - Evangelion
2) Mastodon - Crack The Skye
3) Lamb Of God - Wrath
4) Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
5) Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
6) Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
7) DevilDriver - Pray For Villains
8) Cannibal Corpse -Eviceration Plauge
9) Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
10) Karl Sanders - Saurian Exorcisms

Albums I've listened to besides the above:
Adagio - Archangels In Black
God Dethroned - Passiondale
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Albums this year that I have yet to listen to (and I own):
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Ex Deo - Romulus
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
HammerFall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
Luna Mortis - The Absence
Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel
Neaera - Omnicide-Creation Unleashed
Nightrage - Wearing A Martyr's Crown
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World
Primal Fear - 16.6 (Before The Devil Knows You're Dead)
Seance - Awakening Of The Gods
Stratovarius - Polaris
Wolf - Ravenous

Ugly Booth:
1) Static-X - Cult Of Static
2) Queensryche - American Soldier
4) Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life

Maiden33
07-09-2009, 06:04 PM
There is quite a lot to choose from, and with Megadeth and Slayer on the way, and many left to listen to, this list can and will change eventually. This is current, and I'm anxious to wait out til the end of the year!

1) Behemoth - Evangelion
2) Mastodon - Crack The Skye
3) Lamb Of God - Wrath
4) Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
5) Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
6) Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
7) DevilDriver - Pray For Villains
8) Cannibal Corpse -Eviceration Plauge
9) Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
10) Karl Sanders - Saurian Exorcisms

Albums I've listened to besides the above:
Adagio - Archangels In Black
God Dethroned - Passiondale
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Albums this year that I have yet to listen to (and I own):
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Ex Deo - Romulus
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
HammerFall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
Luna Mortis - The Absence
Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel
Neaera - Omnicide-Creation Unleashed
Nightrage - Wearing A Martyr's Crown
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World
Primal Fear - 16.6 (Before The Devil Knows You're Dead)
Seance - Awakening Of The Gods
Stratovarius - Polaris
Wolf - Ravenous

Ugly Booth:
1) Static-X - Cult Of Static
2) Queensryche - American Soldier
4) Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life

Being that you are fan of melodic power metal, as I am, I feel the need to demand you listen to Bloodbound's album Tabula Rasa. Easily my #1 of the year thus far.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Being that you are fan of melodic power metal, as I am, I feel the need to demand you listen to Bloodbound's album Tabula Rasa. Easily my #1 of the year thus far.

Downloaded and currently listening to. Sounds good to me already ;)

nxtVH90
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah, i forgot when Hordes of Chaos and Onslaught were released, lol. Those would probably be my 2nd and 3rd choices SO FAR. (respectively)

LoveInSlowMotion
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
You really don't like the new LOG or DD?

LoG was ok, nothing was incredibly memorable outside of Reclamation.

DD just felt bad. There was a serious step down in song writing. Almost every song on TLKW was something I would find myself humming later after listening to it twice. Pray For Villians and Waiting for November were the only ones that really drew me in.

Chimiara was just bad, especially as a follow-up to Ressurection

Spiral_Slave
07-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Are there no Eluveitie fans on here? I haven't heard anyone mention Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion on here at all.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
LoG was ok, nothing was incredibly memorable outside of Reclamation.

DD just felt bad. There was a serious step down in song writing. Almost every song on TLKW was something I would find myself humming later after listening to it twice. Pray For Villians and Waiting for November were the only ones that really drew me in.

Chimiara was just bad, especially as a follow-up to Ressurection

Idk, I really liked Wrath and Pray For Villains, but I completely agree with Chimaira. Their new record is terribly bad.

mastodon421
07-10-2009, 07:20 AM
i havent listened to Pray For Villans yet ive heard things. Wrath is awesome my 2nd favorite album of the year. I just listned to the new Chimaria record it wasnt bad but defintley wasnt great a pretty big letdown.

JuuKun
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Are there no Eluveitie fans on here? I haven't heard anyone mention Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion on here at all.

It was a decent album, but I didn't really find it Top 10 worthy.

DethMaiden
07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I've heard 25 discs so far, and I'm guessing it won't be hard to hit my requisite 50. Right now I can only give "Top 10" props to eight albums though, and those are as follows:

2. The Mars Volta- Octahedron
4. Mono- Hymn to the Immortal Wind
5. My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
6. Clutch- Strange Cousins from the West
7. Slough Feg- Ape Uprising
8. St. Vincent- Actor

There's plenty of room to move there, and I've also been really impressed by the new ones by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Dream Theater, Fen, and Isis, so those have a shot at sneaking in. There's also still those 25 albums I haven't heard yet, so yeah, there's plenty of movement gonna happen come December 30.

Spiral_Slave
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
It was a decent album, but I didn't really find it Top 10 worthy.

I was just curious as to what Eluveitie fans thought of it, since it's quite a departure from Slania. I really like it, but I have to be in the mood for it. Omnos is a fantastic song though.

Div
07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/2/3/1/223147.jpg

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Natrlhi
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
...I completely agree with Chimaira. Their new record is terribly bad.

:agree: Yup (unfortunately).

Derelict
07-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I was just curious as to what Eluveitie fans thought of it, since it's quite a departure from Slania. I really like it, but I have to be in the mood for it. Omnos is a fantastic song though.

Same here - I like it, but I have to be in a certain mood.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-10-2009, 10:50 AM
:agree: Yup (unfortunately).

It's a damn shame too, Resurrection and Chimaira were such badass albums.

Natrlhi
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
2. The Mars Volta- Octahedron
4. Mono- Hymn to the Immortal Wind
5. My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
6. Clutch- Strange Cousins from the West
7. Slough Feg- Ape Uprising
8. St. Vincent- Actor

2. There must be something I'm missing...have to listen some more (it's just so MELLOW for TMV...:eyes:)
3. :agree:
4. :rocker:
6. Still have to listen to the whole thing, but what I've heard is very promising (really no surprise, though - Clutch don't make no crap...:D)

...I should post my current top ten, but I'd have to give it some serious thought first. An un-ranked list would probably include:

Kylesa - Static Tensions
Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Cobalt - Gin
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Coalesce - Ox

...and maybe some Minsk, Mono, Voivod, others...

You're right, though - still a lot of good stuff to listen to, both that has been released (Gifts from Enola, Disappearer, Clutch) and those which have not (Behemoth, Baroness, Russian Circles, High on Fire, Necrophagist, Red Sparowes, Nile, Pelican, Skeletonwitch...).

All of this awesome metal reassures me, as I've said, that Satan indeed loves me and wants me to be happy - and so I am. :dgrin:

DethMaiden
07-10-2009, 05:31 PM
2. There must be something I'm missing...have to listen some more (it's just so MELLOW for TMV...:eyes:)

Yeah, and that's what I was craving. I love De-Loused and Frances, Amputechture was just pretty good, and Bedlam mostly lost me. This has its frantic moments, but it's not 80 minutes of nonstop hyper like the last one. I think it's my favorite Volta disc.

Natrlhi
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Well, I do like Teflon - but it's no Drunkship of Lanterns...and I also like Cotopaxi - but it's no Inertiatic ESP, know what I'm sayin'? ;)

mastodon421
07-11-2009, 04:10 AM
i wasnt really feelin the new Mars Volta records either. I just it was a boring album which is the first time i have ever said that about Mars Volta.

ADD
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Voivod and Clutch are fuckin street jammer :allan:

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Of the stuff I've bought/heard this year, I like the new Mastodon, Propagandhi, and Darkest Hour. The new Prince and The Autumn Offering aren't terrible.

I still need to hear the new Napalm Death, MDB, Isis, Amorphis, Rebellion, and a few others.

powerslave_85
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I still need to hear the new Napalm Death...Isis Both are great, especially ND.

Still a LOT of stuff yet to come out, most notably (for me) Converge, Broadway Calls, and Polar Bear Club. I have a feeling that this new Dinosaur Jr. record might break my top 5 as well.

ravenheart
07-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Amorphis, Rebellion

Both very average.

mankvill
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
1. Absu - Absu
8. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
8. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
9. Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
10. Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos

Kylesa is out, Warbringer is in.

ADD
07-16-2009, 06:37 PM
New Waste is on the interwebs, gotta give it a few more listens, it isn't as instantly gratifying as the first 3 records were. Some stagnation, but some new cool shit too, well new for MW of course.

Spiral_Slave
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
New Waste is on the interwebs, gotta give it a few more listens, it isn't as instantly gratifying as the first 3 records were. Some stagnation, but some new cool shit too, well new for MW of course.

I feel the same way however Wolves Of Chernobyl grabbed me right away. :rocker:

Maiden33
07-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Both very average.

Really? I'm not really an Amorphis fan but what I've heard of the new one sounds pretty good to me.

mastodon421
07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Here is my top 10 so far. I will update my list of all albums i have heard this year tommorow.

1.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
2.Lamb Of God-Wrath
3.Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
4.Doom-Born Like This
5.God Forbid-Earthsblood
6.Killswitch Engage-Killswitch Engage
7.Job For A Cowboy-Ruination
8.Lazarus A.D-The Onslaught
9.Eminem- Relapse
10.Kylesa-Static Tensions

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Been spinning the Machines of Grace CD pretty regularly since I got it. Definitely a very good album. Current top 10. Not sure exactly where yet, but it's there.

mastodon421
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Ive listened to a few more albums here they are
Devildriver-Pray For Villians 8/10
Arsonists Get All The Girls-Portals 7/10
The Chariot-War and Rumors Of War 3/10
The Crimson Armada-Guardians 8/10
CKY-Carver City 7/10

I just downloaded the God Dethroned and Suffocation records i will proably listen to them by the end of the week.

This my complete list of albums ive heard this year
Doom-Born Like This 9/10
Eminem Relapse 8.5/10
Oceano-Depths 7/10
Darkest Hour-The Eternal Return 8/10
Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave 8.5/10
Chimaria-The Infection 6.5/10
The Mars Volta-Octahedron 4.5/10 [huge letdown]
Suicide Silence-No Time To Bleed 7/10
Born Of Osiris- A Higher Place 7.5/10
Green Day-21st Century Breakdown 2/10 [idk why i listened to this]
Warbringer-Waking Into Nightmares 8/10
August Burns Red-Consellations 8/10

DethMaiden
07-21-2009, 08:19 AM
http://extreemmetaal.nl/wp-content/uploads/covers/S/sloughfeg_ape.jpg

Listen to this. Best metal album of the year.

TonyD
07-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Listen to this. Best metal album of the year.

One of the few times I've been persuaded with just a cover and title.

Spiral_Slave
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
The new Warmen album "Japanese Hospitality" leaked. It's a lot like their last release, "Accept The Fact" although it seems they have abandoned all of their neoclassical influences, now more of a proggy hard rock jam band thing...

makethemsuffer12
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM

lolwut?

ADD
07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
If you're tryina hear some great new "post-rock"/mellow-mood mostly-instrumental music check out the recently released Yawning Sons album Ceremony To The Sunset, featuring Gary Arce from Yawning Man playing with some British band called Sons of Alpha Centauri. I can hear some major God Is An Astronaut vibe in here, maybe its that British connection. If you know Yawning Man then you can expect that same breezy, gentle feeling in the sound, only its spacier and darker rather than sunny and warm. Very good though.

b_halperin
07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
holy shit new swashbuckle kicks ass :rocker:

b_halperin
07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
lolwut?

i hate job for a cowboy as much as other metalheads, but their new material is listenable compared to their older stuff which is utter garbage. Most of it still sucks though.

Maiden33
07-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Updated Top 10 of '09 Thus Far:
01.Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
02.Killing Touch - One of a Kind
03.Machines of Grace - Machines of Grace
04.ColdSpell - Infinite Stargaze
05.Mind Key - Pulse For a Graveheart
06.Vindictiv - Ground Zero
07.Outloud - We Will Rock You to Hell and Back Again
08.Cain's Offering - Gather the Faithful
09.Saxon - Into the labyrinth
10.lion's Share - Darkest Hours
Honorable mentions to:
-Place Vendome - Streets of Fire
-Anubis Gate - The Detached
-Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver linings

mankvill
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
1. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow

2. Absu - Absu
3. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
6. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
7. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
8. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
9. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
10. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God

mastodon421
07-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Here is my reasoning on the JFAC album. I never thought they were that great until Ruination came out i would proably give there other albums like 6.5's or so. I dont know what it was i was just blown away by Ruination clearly CC is a better band and has done a lot more for death metal i just happened to enjoy it more the Evisceration Plague. I dont think Evisceration Plague is CC's best work and i was a little dissapointed with it.

Natrlhi
07-23-2009, 06:06 AM

2. Absu - Absu
3. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
6. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
7. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
8. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
9. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
10. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God

:lol: I knew you would feel that way. It is a damn good album, though. :rocker:

(Listening to "The Unbearable Filth of the Soul" right now... :eek: Nice. :D)

Natrlhi
07-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Kylesa is out, Warbringer is in.

Dude. No.

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Here's a top ten I'm satisfied and comfortable with for now:

2. Slough Feg- Ape Uprising!
3. My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
4. Clutch- Strange Cousins from the West
5. Mastodon- Crack the Skye
7. St. Vincent- Actor
9. Dream Theater- Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Isis- Wavering Radiant

Now, I fully expect the new ones by Matisyahu, Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, and The Red Chord to make runs for the top ten, but it's the ones you don't expect to rule that end up ruling that are really exciting, and there's something like 20 or 25 more albums that will be coming out this year that I plan on hearing, so here's hoping for a great last five months of 2009! :horns:

EDIT: I'm also expecting great things out of Redemption, Immortal, and Nevermore, but I don't honestly see any of these as top 10 prospects as of now.

EDIT 2: That doesn't mean the rest of what I plan on hearing I expect to be shit, either, it just means that it takes a certain caliber album to break the top 10 and I know what I'm talking about. :tongue: :eyes:

Spiral_Slave
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Holy shit you really like Strange Cousins From The West more than Crack The Skye?

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Holy shit you really like Strange Cousins From The West more than Crack The Skye?

It's very close but I really think that if you're only gonna make a seven song album, you can't make three of the songs be just pretty damn good (Quintessence, Ghost of Karelia, Crack the Skye). Everything needs to be great. Fortunately, Oblivion, Divinations, The Czar, and The Last Baron are great and then some, so it's still fifth. :D

Spiral_Slave
07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
It's very close but I really think that if you're only gonna make a seven song album, you can't make three of the songs be just pretty damn good (Quintessence, Ghost of Karelia, Crack the Skye). Everything needs to be great. Fortunately, Oblivion, Divinations, The Czar, and The Last Baron are great and then some, so it's still fifth. :D

Gotcha. I just really love Crack The Skye, it's right now got a definite spot in my top three, but hey no accounting for opinion I suppose. SCFTW is really growing on me too, but I have to be in the right mood for it.

powerslave_85
07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Dude, you're on crack. The second half of that album is the best.

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Dude, you're on crack. The second half of that album is the best.

The only really interesting part of the title track for me is the Scott Kelly vocal bit, and I don't like the main riff in Ghost of Karelia, and, well, riffs are pretty important. :lol:

DethMaiden
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Which, I mean, this is an oversimplification because it's still a great album, but I think Blood Mountain and Leviathan were ultimately stronger, and there's some notable weaker points in this one.

mankvill
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
2. Absu - Absu
3. Drudkh - Microcosmos
4. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
5. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
6. Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
7. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
8. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
9. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
10. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

It's a good year for black metal!

mastodon421
07-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Alright Crack The Skye is the weakest song on Crack The Skye IMO.

I am pretty much in love with every track besides that. Ghost Of Karelia is a fantastic track and proably my 2nd favorite on the album behind Oblivion. Oblivion is such a powerful track. The vocals are great, the guitar and drum work is insane on that song and just overall a really haunting and fantastic song.

The_jman
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Alright Crack The Skye is the weakest song on Crack The Skye IMO.

I am pretty much in love with every track besides that. Ghost Of Karelia is a fantastic track and proably my 2nd favorite on the album behind Oblivion. Oblivion is such a powerful track. The vocals are great, the guitar and drum work is insane on that song and just overall a really haunting and fantastic song.
I love those two too, I also love the zar I think it's pretty neat.

mastodon421
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
The Czar is amazing. The middle section of the song is proably some of the best material on the entire album. Such an epic track. DeathMaiden i do agree though i think Blood Mountain and Leviathian are stronger albums. But as a hardcore Mastodon fan and them being my favorite band I love all of their material and they really havent done anything bad in their career so far.

TonyD
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
The Czar is amazing. The middle section of the song is proably some of the best material on the entire album. Such an epic track. DeathMaiden i do agree though i think Blood Mountain and Leviathian are stronger albums. But as a hardcore Mastodon fan and them being my favorite band I love all of their material and they really havent done anything bad in their career so far.

The Brent verse towards the end makes up for everything Ozzy has done in the past 10 years.

mankvill
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Can we go ahead and say that Flight 666 is the DVD to come out this year?

SomewhereInTime72
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Yes.

DethMaiden
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Word. It's top 5 of all time, also.

mankvill
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Word. It's top 5 of all time, also.

:horns:

I've only gotten 3 DVD's this year so far. It's a shame; those Overkill and Dark Funeral DVD's are really good, too!

powerslave_85
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Ha, it's the first concert DVD I've bought in years, so I guess it's automatically my #1 for the year :tongue:

mastodon421
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Black Dahlia Murder's Majesty was an awesome dvd as well.

mankvill
07-28-2009, 07:09 PM
3. Drudkh - Microcosmos

I think it should be said that this album completely destroys everything they've done before.

jhdeity
07-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Here is my top 10 so far. I will update my list of all albums i have heard this year tommorow.

1.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
2.Lamb Of God-Wrath
3.Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
4.Doom-Born Like This
5.God Forbid-Earthsblood
6.Killswitch Engage-Killswitch Engage
7.Job For A Cowboy-Ruination
8.Lazarus A.D-The Onslaught
9.Eminem- Relapse
10.Kylesa-Static Tensions

My list would mirror this list more than any other I've seen so far. As someone who listens to all types of music I am kinda surprised at the inclusion of the new Eminem cd. Between Jessica Simpson, more Mom drugging him BS and the stepdad blowing loads in his face it might be the most painful piece of shit cd I've ever listened to. I put Crack a Bottle on a compilation cd for when we go boating (On a Boat is the 1st track of course) and people love that song but I can't even pick a 2nd good song on that cd.

What am I missing? What are your favorite tracks? I was going to make a chick an Eminem cd and still have Turn me Loose with Douchie Durst on there since it's better than anything on the new cd to me except CAB.

mastodon421
07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
My fave track off Relapse is Underground. I just loved the lyrics to that song its vintage Eminem. Its no where near as good as his older material but i still liked it a lot. I would mainly just stick with older Eminem for a CD maybe 2 or 3 tracks off Relapse. Other goods ones are Medicine Ball and Deja Vu.

I'm glad you liked my list and thank you for the kind words.

jhdeity
07-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Cool deal. I'll have to check those tunes out again. Yeah Lazarus is about to crack my Top 5 I think. I don't mind music that is dated but still brings something fresh to the table. Any cd that sounds influenced by Kill em All will always be cool to me.

Devildriver is finally growing on me. The guitars are mixed too low but the drumming is beastly. Goatwhore are fukkin brutal and I'm sure when it's said and done new Divine Heresy will be in my top 10

The_jman
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
My fave track off Relapse is Underground. I just loved the lyrics to that song its vintage Eminem. Its no where near as good as his older material but i still liked it a lot. I would mainly just stick with older Eminem for a CD maybe 2 or 3 tracks off Relapse. Other goods ones are Medicine Ball and Deja Vu.

I'm glad you liked my list and thank you for the kind words.
eminem's first was the best, think it was the slim shady the one with my name is and such on it. IMO anyway

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Dead Prez released a 'mix tape' hosted by DJ Green Lantern, entitled "Pulse of the People" and it is REALLY good. Any hip-hop fans should check it out.