Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Last Caress
Whiplash
Seek and Destroy

1st time seeing Metallica and it was everything I had hoped for. It was also James' 7 year old daughters birthday so he brought her on stage and we all sang happy birthday. Awesome show all in all. I would have hoped for more old stuff like Fuel or Whiskey in the Jar...but its all good.

mankvill
01-18-2009, 12:50 AM
old stuff like Fuel or Whiskey in the Jar

:eek:

TonyD
01-18-2009, 01:44 AM
It's even funnier that those songs are now 'old stuff'

andrew_metalhead
01-18-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think they'll bring out any more surprises before the European leg. Still a great set though.

Derelict
01-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I had a fun time, but I could have done without the combined ten songs from the black album and death magnetic

TedPikul
01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Whiskey in the jar is an old song... oh! and regarding old stuff, so many people who didn't know Hallowed be thy name!

Derelict
01-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah, machine head did

Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Imperium
Halo
Hallowed be thy Name
Davidian

Pretty sure I'm missing a song between Imperium and Halo

leglessmoof
01-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Here are my pictures from the show:
http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/v/concerts/2009_01_17/

http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/d/6604-2/P1060821.JPG

http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/d/6660-2/P1060940.JPG

http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/d/6668-2/P1060963.JPG

http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/d/6700-2/P1070054.JPG

Oh yeah, machine head did

Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Imperium
Halo
Hallowed be thy Name
Davidian

Pretty sure I'm missing a song between Imperium and Halo
The Machine Head set was:

Clenching The Fists Of Dissent
Imperium
Beautiful Mourning
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Halo
Davidian

SomewhereInTime72
01-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Cool pictures.

andrew_metalhead
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Niice pictures! \m/

PowerMaiden
01-18-2009, 10:21 AM
It was also James' 7 year old daughters birthday so he brought her on stage and we all sang happy birthday. .

you see, this I don't get, why the hell would he do that for, I mean I understand the fact that he must love her to death, I'm a father too, but to bring her onstage and have the crowd sing her happy birthday is gay to me. People are there to get their ass kicked not to sing happy birthday to the singer's daughter, she has nothing to do with the night whatsoever, I mean okay if it's a member of the band who the crowds adore but the daughter, c'mon what a turn off

anyways it's probably just me ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
:eek:

Seriously. Epic Fail. :hecho:

rjturtle9
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Seriously. Epic Fail. :hecho:

i second this

TonyD
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
The Machine Head set was:

Clenching The Fists Of Dissent
Imperium
Beautiful Mourning
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Halo
Davidian

That's a good one.

EchoesOfDecimation
01-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I had a fun time, but I could have done without the combined ten songs from the black album and death magnetic

My thoughts exactly, although hearing Ride The Lightning made my night.

Maiden33
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Considering you're talking about the band's most recent and most succesful albums respectively, I don't think ten songs is that outrageous. More like expected.

Derelict
01-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Considering you're talking about the band's most recent and most succesful albums respectively, I don't think ten songs is that outrageous. More like expected.

If you look at setlists from previous tours, they tend to do 1-2 songs from their newest release

leglessmoof
01-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I have mixed feelings on this discussion.

I like hearing the songs from the new album. Although, I do agree that 6 songs per night might be a tad much, especially since they're playing the same 6 songs each night. They could at least rotate out The End of the Line, Broken Beat & Scarred or Cyanide for other songs from the album like The Judas Kiss or Suicide & Redemption so they aren't playing the same 6 songs each night. I also agree that 4 songs from their self-titled album might be a bit much. I like hearing The Unforgiven as much as anyone, but if they want to add that to the set maybe they should consider dropping Sad But True. (I wouldn't mind seeing Nothing Else Matters or Enter Sandman dropped either, but let's be realistic, that's never going to happen.)

Then again, let's assume that they did cut down the combined number of songs from Death Magnetic and Metallica from 10 to 6. What's left to fill the void? Well, there's the material from Load and Re-Load, which I doubt anyone wants to hear, save the few hits like Fuel or The Memory Remains. And there's the old stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear the old stuff. Whether it's the classics For Whom the Bell Tolls or Fade to Black, or the rarer old songs like Orion or And Justice for All, I'd love to hear it all. But to be fair, they did play a ton of the old stuff on their last tour. And I know if they did that again on this tour, there would be people complaining about the lack of new songs, or the lack of variety.

I guess what it comes down to is that there's no setlist that will please everyone.

Maiden33
01-19-2009, 07:33 AM
If you look at setlists from previous tours, they tend to do 1-2 songs from their newest release

St. Anger blew and they knew it. 10 to 1 odds says it was conscious decision to not play much new stuff because they were very aware of the extreme backlash the album was getting.

Derelict
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
St. Anger blew and they knew it. 10 to 1 odds says it was conscious decision to not play much new stuff because they were very aware of the extreme backlash the album was getting.

good point

SomewhereInTime72
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Agree. I was quite happily surprised in 2003, when they only brought out Frantic and St. Anger and the rest were older songs.

JRA
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
They did bring out more of St. Anger as time went on. I think they would play Unnamed Feeling and Dirty Window towards the end of the tour.

Jdog
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
They could at least rotate out The End of the Line, Broken Beat & Scarred or Cyanide for other songs from the album like The Judas Kiss or Suicide & Redemption

I usually listen to the album beginning to end and Judas Kiss almost always gets skipped. Don't like it. Can't understand how so many I keep hearing actually do. I just don't get it.

leglessmoof
01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I usually listen to the album beginning to end and Judas Kiss almost always gets skipped. Don't like it. Can't understand how so many I keep hearing actually do. I just don't get it.
It took a while to grow on me. Still not exactly my favorite song on the album. But I think it would be cool to hear live.

SomewhereInTime72
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
The Judas Kiss is really good, it's just kinda boring in the context of the album, because it's placed at the point when things kinda start to drag.

rjturtle9
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
the only new songs i liked live were the first 2, the day that never comes, and all nightmare long.

TonyD
01-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Agree. I was quite happily surprised in 2003, when they only brought out Frantic and St. Anger and the rest were older songs.

Exactly, I'd way rather hear that than 4+ songs off DM