View Full Version : The Official MetalSetlists Top Albums of 2008

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
1. Opeth- Watershed
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s309/raumschwein/Opeth-Watershed.jpg

2. Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God
http://www.vilenoise.com/i/amon_amarth-cover.jpg

3. Metallica- Death Magnetic
http://www.festivaleros.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/metallica-death-magnetic-300x300.jpg

4. Testament- The Formation of Damnation
http://topalternative.ru/_bl/14/61772.jpg

5. Cynic- Traced in Air
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/0/9/8/209845.jpg

6. Genghis Tron- Board Up the House
http://bigcartel.com/account/15312/130647/300.jpg

7. Pyramaze- Immortal
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d44/20393.jpg

8. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
http://www.sezio.org/pix/review/128576452780267768_FleetFoxes.jpg

9. Firewind- The Premonition
http://www.rtvchannel.tv/hardrock/firewind.jpg

10. Judas Priest- Nostradamus
http://www.melodic.net/img6/6860.jpg

11. Gojira- The Way of All Flesh
12. Avantasia- The Scarecrow
13. Evergrey- Torn
14 (tie). Death Angel- Killing Season
Edguy- Tinnitus Sanctus
16 (tie). Protest the Hero- Fortress
Eluveitie- Slania
18 (tie). Warrel Dane- Praises to the War Machine
Disturbed- Indestructible
20. Motorhead- Motorizer
21. Circle II Circle- Delusions of Grandeur
22. Royal Hunt- Collision Course
23 (tie). Jon Oliva's Pain- Global Warning
Moonspell- Night Eternal
25 (tie). Toxic Holocaust- An Overdose of Death
Bullet for My Valentine- Scream. Aim. Fire.

SomewhereInTime72
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
:eyes: Better than last year, I suppose.

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Let the bitching begin.

I had ABSOLUTELY no clue the Testament album was doing as well as it did.

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Let the bitching begin.

I had ABSOLUTELY no clue the Testament album was doing as well as it did.

Yeah, it was handsomely in fourth. I personally thought it sucked, save for a couple of songs.

And Fleet Foxes is WAY too low :D

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
If you don't mind, I'd like to see the point totals for each album, including the honorable mentions.

SomewhereInTime72
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by Testament.

I also think it's ridiculous that Amon Amarth got into second place. Bah.

JRA
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised Lil Wayne didn't make it.

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
If you don't mind, I'd like to see the point totals for each album, including the honorable mentions.

1. 139
2. 111
3. 88
4. 70
5. 69
6. 51
7. 50
8. 48
9. 45
10. 43 with 10 voters

11. 43 with 5 voters
12. 43 with 4 voters
13. 27 with 6 voters
14/15. 27 with 4 voters
16/17. 25 with 3 voters
18/19. 24 with 3 voters
20. 22
21. 21
22. 20
23/24. 19 with 3 voters
25/26. 17 with 3 voters

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
This is the first year we've done this that I didn't like a single album in the top 6.

ADD
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I do not endorse this top 10 :D

That being said thanks again Brad for taking the time to put together and do this thankless task yet again another year, keep it up :cool:

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
This is the first year we've done this that I didn't like a single album in the top 6.

Having heard how many of them to judge?

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I do not endorse this top 10 :D

That being said thanks again Brad for taking the time to put together and do this thankless task yet again another year, keep it up :cool:

I'm not easily deterred, or something. :rocker: Count on the same in '09. :D

Div
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
boo!

Div
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
also, im calling it, kreator will be in the top 10 for '09

overkiller
1. Kind of surprised this made it all the way to #1, but then again not really.
2. It's good, but #2? Egh.
3. Not surprised. Just glad it didn't get any higher.
4. What the fuck?
5. FUCK YES. There was a point when I thought I was going to be the only voter for this one, so glad that changed.
6. Huh? I didn't think that many people voted for this. Whatever, it's pretty good.
7. ...No comment.
8. WAY too low. Probably the 2nd best album on this list, possibly even the best.
9. ......No comment.
10. I was hoping it wouldn't even make it onto the top 10, but I guess it had to. I'm just glad it didn't get any higher.

Maiden33
Having heard how many of them to judge?

2 from start to finish and at least several tracks from 2 others.
Contrary to what you may think, I don't need to hear certain albums to know I'm not going to like it. Much in the same way you never heard more than a track or two of of 8/10 of my top 10 this year, you just simply didn't bother to explore them because you knew you wouldn't care much about them before even going in.

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 09:05 PM
2 from start to finish and at least several tracks from 2 others.
Contrary to what you may think, I don't need to hear certain albums to know I'm not going to like it. Much in the same way you never heard more than a track or two of of 8/10 of my top 10 this year, you just simply didn't bother to explore them because you knew you wouldn't care much about them before even going in.

Fair enough, haha. I can respect that.

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Is anyone really surprised that no one likes the list?

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
7. ...No comment.
9. ......No comment.

Did you even hear anything off of either of them?

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
To give a fair analysis: I'm kind of happy with the list; 5/10 of my list made it. But my tastes are kind of standard as far as this board is concerned sometimes. I do think Watershed and Twilight of the Thunder God are a bit high, but better those than Death Magnetic or The Formation of Damnation I suppose. I am prouder than hell of the board for putting Cynic, Genghis Tron, and Fleet Foxes in the top 10, though, as the first two aren't that big-name and the latter isn't even remotely metal.

Div
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
testament is the only shocker on that list for me. the others i kind of anticipated. im just disappointed that more people didnt vote for Eluveitie, considering they liked it.

overkiller
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Did you even hear anything off of either of them?

No, that's why I didn't comment. :D

overkiller
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm surprised Lil Wayne didn't make it.

I am very angry about this. :pissed:

:D

Maiden33
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
No, that's why I didn't comment. :D

Well played. That being said, they were the only 2 albums from my personal top 15 to see the top 10 here.

overkiller
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
3 of my top 10 made it, and 2 of them were #2 and #3 (I was the only voter for my #1, I couldn't expect much from that), so I have that to be happy about.

DethMaiden
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm honestly impressed by this list's accuracy. I think it's a pretty fucking good cross-section of what everybody here seemed to be spinning the most last year. Which is its job, I suppose.

overkiller
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm honestly impressed by this list's accuracy. I think it's a pretty fucking good cross-section of what everybody here seemed to be spinning the most last year. Which is its job, I suppose.

My multiplier triumphs :party:

SomewhereInTime72
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it definitely does it's job representing the board. I could be happier with it, but I guess it's pretty cool. Thanks, Brad.

Div
01-14-2009, 10:50 PM
out of curiosity, can i see the non-multiplier list?

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 05:35 AM
. I am prouder than hell of the board for putting Cynic, Genghis Tron, and Fleet Foxes in the top 10, though, as the first two aren't that big-name and the latter isn't even remotely metal.

Are you proud, in that, you're happy that other people liked the same bands as you?

Maiden33
01-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Are you proud, in that, you're happy that other people liked the same bands as you?

I kinda thought the same thing when I read it but didn't want to start anything.

Sinfulsot
01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Many thanks for the thankless job completed.

Derelict
01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
thanks for doing this, i'm sure its a pain in the ass

DethMaiden
01-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Well, no, I described exactly what I was proud of in the sentence that you chopped out of my post, where I mentioned the non-mainstream nature of Cynic and Genghis Tron and the non-metalness of Fleet Foxes, which I felt proved that the board isn't just a bunch of whores for, say, Revolver and Metal-rules.com. I guess in the same breath I should be proud that Firewind and Pyramaze made it because I suppose they aren't very well-known either. All I meant by it.

powerslave_85
01-15-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm never really interested in final top 10, because it's usually pretty predictable. The real fun is reading everyone's personal lists and threads like the ones Brady and Brad make.

mankvill
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Woots! Thanks.

Had no idea Pyramaze would do so good!

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 09:01 AM
screw it

SomewhereInTime72
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Elaborated thoughts:

1. Hm, I voted them my #1 also, so I'm pretty happy with this. It fits.
2. An alright album. I have no clue how it would place so high (or at all even), but I guess I wouldn't be enraged.
3. I liked it. I wouldn't have placed it so high, but I guess that was bound to happen. At least it didn't win.
4. I feel the same about this as I did about the Amon Amarth album.
5. Didn't really like it myself, but I kinda understand the appeal. Good choice for the top 10.
6. Kinda surprised by this one. I only heard a few songs and geh.... I don't like it at all. Honestly, I can't get the appeal of this. Boring.
7. :lol: I feel like this made it because it had Barlow and didn't absolutely suck (*cough*icedearth*cough*). As I just said, I don't think it sucked, but eh...
8. I liked the album. I don't really get how it's top 10 material but it doesn't offend me since so many of you guys love it anyway.
9. Okay, this band blows. What the fuck.
10. Pretty glad the album placed, I liked it.

ADD
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I definitely think this poll is a very accurate representation of what the board IN GENERAL was listening to as far as new albums in 2008, and that's what it's purpose is so I think it's pretty trivial to worry about if your favorites made it or not, cuz I mean everyone basically knows what everyone listens to anyways since this board is so small.

DethMaiden
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I definitely think this poll is a very accurate representation of what the board IN GENERAL was listening to as far as new albums in 2008, and that's what it's purpose is so I think it's pretty trivial to worry about if your favorites made it or not, cuz I mean everyone basically knows what everyone listens to anyways since this board is so small.

Indeed. I mean, the only way someone would be perfectly happy with the list would be if their top 10 WAS the list. Which is never gonna happen. So it's just more of an interesting thing to look at than any kind of a definitive guide.

DethMaiden
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
screw it

I'm very curious what you previously had here.

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm very curious what you previously had here.

It was a really long bitch about how you were fulfilling the complaint that Jeff Teets and Mike had about this thread in the first place, and that is, putting your non-mainstream views on a pedastal. You love this list because your favorite albums were on it, somehow proving that your opinions are legitimate and those non-mainstream albums were really better than others that didnt place on the list.

ADD
01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
It was a really long bitch about how you were fulfilling the complaint that Jeff Teets and Mike had about this thread in the first place, and that is, putting your non-mainstream views on a pedastal. You love this list because your favorite albums were on it, somehow proving that your opinions are legitimate and those non-mainstream albums were really better than others that didnt place on the list.
What is "non-mainstream"? The only mainstream thing on that list is Fleet Foxes and maybe Judas Priest but that's a stretch, the rest is shit 95% of the population or more has no clue about. If Lil Wayne or Nas or The Game made this list then I'd say that's pretty mainstream, but everything else is all pretty far underground/unpopular music.

Div
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
What is "non-mainstream"? The only mainstream thing on that list is Fleet Foxes and maybe Judas Priest but that's a stretch, the rest is shit 95% of the population or more has no clue about. If Lil Wayne or Nas or The Game made this list then I'd say that's pretty mainstream, but everything else is all pretty far underground/unpopular music.

metallica isnt mainstream? :confused: i hear them being played on the "classic rock" radio stations all the time. i mean, 103.7 has a segment called "Led for Lunch" and then at night they have "Mandatory Metallica".

DethMaiden
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, I mean, I'm satisfied with the list, but for the 5 albums I had in my list, that's still 5 that I didn't. And I wouldn't have positioned them the way they were. Sure, there was plenty of non-mainstream shit that didn't make it, but a good deal of it, I also loved. It's not putting my opinions on a pedestal, perhaps I'm just sharing that pedestal with the apparently large segments of the board that agree with me.

overkiller
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
metallica isnt mainstream? :confused: i hear them being played on the "classic rock" radio stations all the time. i mean, 103.7 has a segment called "Led for Lunch" and then at night they have "Mandatory Metallica".

Metallica is definitely mainstream.

mankvill
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM

gtfo my blog!

ADD
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah my bad I totally overlooked them, sorry.

DethMaiden
01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
I think I should try to have less popular opinions so it doesn't look like I rig the lists. I'd be happy to let people see my Excel document. :eyes:

Div
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
out of curiosity, can i see the non-multiplier list?.

TonyD
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow. Fuck the multiplier, if I had not included Nostradamus as my #10, Gojira would have got the last spot.

And any tally on Meshuggah? As in, "did no more than 2 other people even include this in their top 10?"
Edit: 1 vote, 10 pts for Meshuggah
:violin:

es156
01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
The real fun is reading everyone's personal lists and threads like the ones Brady and Brad make.

I agree. I get a kick out of reading the mini-reviews, etc. even if I don't listen to the bands that are being reviewed.

And it is also a great way to find new music to check out.

Maiden33
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
7. :lol: I feel like this made it because it had Barlow and didn't absolutely suck (*cough*icedearth*cough*). As I just said, I don't think it sucked, but eh...
9. Okay, this band blows. What the fuck.

1.Matt Barlow has little to do with why I loved that Pyramaze album. I really enjoyed their previous stuff with Lance King on vocals. I just really dig the style of music, and I happened to really enjoy Barlow's vocals as I'm sure I'll enjoy the next album with Urban Breed on vocals.

2.You really piss me off, for mainly one reason. You will be one of the first people to speak up about how all power metal sounds the same and this and that, you've done it to me before. However, I know for a fact that you like bands like Stratovarius and Gamma Ray, which leaves me a bit puzzled. You like some of the most generic sounding bands that basically are responsible for giving birth to the genre's stereotypes of flower metal and lack of ideas, but you will shit on bands that are far more unique and creative than the ones you happen to like. Firewind isn't the best example of this, but it certainly qualifies. You like bands that are FAR more genericly power metal than Firewind are, and for the style of music they play, you can't do any better than the last 3 Firewind albums.

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, I mean, I'm satisfied with the list, but for the 5 albums I had in my list, that's still 5 that I didn't. And I wouldn't have positioned them the way they were. Sure, there was plenty of non-mainstream shit that didn't make it, but a good deal of it, I also loved. It's not putting my opinions on a pedestal, perhaps I'm just sharing that pedestal with the apparently large segments of the board that agree with me.

argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy. Especially when is it smothered in the perfume of pretentious, false self-worth.

powerslave_85
01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Man, ya'll are a bunch of whiny motherfuckers.

SomewhereInTime72
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
2.You really piss me off, for mainly one reason. You will be one of the first people to speak up about how all power metal sounds the same and this and that, you've done it to me before. However, I know for a fact that you like bands like Stratovarius and Gamma Ray, which leaves me a bit puzzled. You like some of the most generic sounding bands that basically are responsible for giving birth to the genre's stereotypes of flower metal and lack of ideas, but you will shit on bands that are far more unique and creative than the ones you happen to like. Firewind isn't the best example of this, but it certainly qualifies. You like bands that are FAR more genericly power metal than Firewind are, and for the style of music they play, you can't do any better than the last 3 Firewind albums.
Hm, I don't really think all power metal sounds the same. ....Just certain forms of power metal/some bands of the genre tend to show a very large lack of innovation.

Firewind (aside from a couple of riffs here or there) don't really remind me of Gamma Ray and Stratovarius at all. If anything their lead parts/melodies remind me of Reroute To Remain-era In Flames (not a plus). To put it simply, there is simply absolutely nothing noteworthy about this band. The guitar tone is weak generic modern-metal bullshit, the solos are boring tasteless Alexi Laiho-style scale runs, the vocals and melodies are anything but memorable (usually, I've heard a few songs where the chorus did stick in my head for a while, "Tyranny" definitely comes to mind, but as with the few similarities to Strato cant really make of break the band).

But... as of yet there is not a single Firewind song I've heard that has the sheer power that other bands have, or the personal touch I feel with other bands of the same genre like Kamelot. A band that will do nothing new for me, and simply hides behind the curtains of their genre (different than the older bands which innovated what would later become generic, but sound slightly different as a result)... a band like that is absolutely worthless to me. If you think they're good at what they do, that's fine and all. But I still think they're boring at what they do. :tongue:

edit: And about your first point, I was just guessing 'cause it was a pretty big part about what I found enjoyable about it. :lol:

Damion13
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, i agree with almost all of this. I can't believe Sun Giant didn't make it at all. But at least Board up the House made the top ten:D

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I smell a freshman.

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Man, ya'll are a bunch of whiny motherfuckers.

Whiny teenagers, as we're known.

Maiden33
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Hm, I don't really think all power metal sounds the same. ....Just certain forms of power metal/some bands of the genre tend to show a very large lack of innovation.

Firewind (aside from a couple of riffs here or there) don't really remind me of Gamma Ray and Stratovarius at all. If anything their lead parts/melodies remind me of Reroute To Remain-era In Flames (not a plus). To put it simply, there is simply absolutely nothing noteworthy about this band. The guitar tone is weak generic modern-metal bullshit, the solos are boring tasteless Alexi Laiho-style scale runs, the vocals and melodies are anything but memorable (usually, I've heard a few songs where the chorus did stick in my head for a while, "Tyranny" definitely comes to mind, but as with the few similarities to Strato cant really make of break the band).

But... as of yet there is not a single Firewind song I've heard that has the sheer power that other bands have, or the personal touch I feel with other bands of the same genre like Kamelot. A band that will do nothing new for me, and simply hides behind the curtains of their genre (different than the older bands which innovated what would later become generic, but sound slightly different as a result)... a band like that is absolutely worthless to me. If you think they're good at what they do, that's fine and all. But I still think they're boring at what they do. :tongue:

edit: And about your first point, I was just guessing 'cause it was a pretty big part about what I found enjoyable about it. :lol:

Well on the power metal sounding the same thing, I must have gotten you confused with someone else, that's a very common phrase to hear around here. I want to say that I totally back up the general complaint that there are a lot of bands in the general genre that do greatly lack creativity and originality.
I wasn't drawing direct comparissons from Firewind to Strato or Gamma Ray, I just kind of used those two bands as examples of bands I know you like, and figured youre general arguement (being the lack of details) was that Firewind were "just another power metal band that sounded like all the others".
I can somewhat see what you're getting at with the melodic death metal-isms of some of their riffs and leads, which obviousy has a lot to do with Gus G's time served in bands playing that style. I honestly find that to be one of the cool things about Firewind. There aren't many other bands out there doing that unique combination of melo-death guitars with 100% melodic vocals, which I find pretty neat and allows a lot of their material to have an edge and sense of balls that a lot of other bands in the general heavy/power metal genre don't have.
I CAN NOT agree in any way about your comments about Gus G's solos. I find his solos absolutely great. Depending on the select tracks you may have heard, he does get a bit run-happy and wanky from time to time, but on a lot of tracks he has the ability to craft brilliant melodic and memorable solos.
I also find Firewind to have more memorable hooks than many other bands, and said hooks seem to be a lot less of the typical fruity fairy-like power metal fare and more gravitated towards melodic hard rock, which I really love.

SomewhereInTime72
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Well on the power metal sounding the same thing, I must have gotten you confused with someone else, that's a very common phrase to hear around here. I want to say that I totally back up the general complaint that there are a lot of bands in the general genre that do greatly lack creativity and originality.
I wasn't drawing direct comparissons from Firewind to Strato or Gamma Ray, I just kind of used those two bands as examples of bands I know you like, and figured youre general arguement (being the lack of details) was that Firewind were "just another power metal band that sounded like all the others".
I can somewhat see what you're getting at with the melodic death metal-isms of some of their riffs and leads, which obviousy has a lot to do with Gus G's time served in bands playing that style. I honestly find that to be one of the cool things about Firewind. There aren't many other bands out there doing that unique combination of melo-death guitars with 100% melodic vocals, which I find pretty neat and allows a lot of their material to have an edge and sense of balls that a lot of other bands in the general heavy/power metal genre don't have.
I CAN NOT agree in any way about your comments about Gus G's solos. I find his solos absolutely great. Depending on the select tracks you may have heard, he does get a bit run-happy and wanky from time to time, but on a lot of tracks he has the ability to craft brilliant melodic and memorable solos.
I also find Firewind to have more memorable hooks than many other bands, and said hooks seem to be a lot less of the typical fruity fairy-like power metal fare and more gravitated towards melodic hard rock, which I really love.
If I were to ever actually like Firewind this would probably be why. ;) :tongue:

overkiller
01-15-2009, 08:30 PM
If I were to ever actually like Firewind this would probably be why. ;) :tongue:

YOU TOLD ME TOO LATE, WHAT'S THAT COUGH AND WHEEZE

Maiden33
01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
YOU TOLD ME TOO LATE, WHAT'S THAT COUGH AND WHEEZE

Eliminate the right
Eliminate the wrong
Eliminate the weak
Eliminate the strong
Eliminate your feelings
Eliminate too late
Eliminate the hope
ELIMINATE! ELIMINATE!

SomewhereInTime72
01-15-2009, 08:42 PM
FATAL? YOU'RE SHITTIN' ME!

JRA
01-15-2009, 08:45 PM
if i had just one more day I'd turn it all around,
I'd make a play at good clean livin and dig me out of the ground,
and if I had just one more day I'd say it too your face
I'd pull the plug on everyone eliminate this race
we want the cure, and we want it now
reissue hope, we don't care how
your makin a mess diseasin the nation
runaway train to EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIMINATIIIOOOOONNNN!!!

Maiden33
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Cryin' in a funeral home, forward my mail... SIX FEET UNDERGROUND!!!

Div
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/8/82/Epic-fail-guy-dance.gif

HELLO FROM THE GUTTER!

overkiller
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
THE QUALITY OF THIS THREAD HAS JUST INCREASED TEN THOUSAND FOLD

SomewhereInTime72
01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
You're welcome, guys.

:tongue:

mankvill
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
E!

ADD
01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Word.

TonyD
01-15-2009, 11:04 PM
argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy. Especially when is it smothered in the perfume of pretentious, false self-worth.

I see that you stopped listening to the new Nas album.

es156
01-16-2009, 04:59 AM
If I'm lookin' at the ceilin'
then I must be layin' on the floor

overkiller
01-16-2009, 06:54 AM

HAHA zing!

DethMaiden
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM

I'm not going to argue with this, mostly because I DIDN'T MAKE THE FUCKING LIST MYSELF. IT REQUIRED VOTING. If Immortal Technique or Nas somehow found their way into the top ten, don't even pretend you wouldn't be a little smugly satisfied.

ChildrenofSodom
01-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Well played.

mankvill
01-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't understand why there's so much drama.

DethMaiden
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't understand why there's so much drama.

You haven't been here for a year-end poll until now, have you? It's always this nuts. :lol: Kinda fun, kinda exhausting.

JRA
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
This is pretty tame compared to what used to happen

DethMaiden
01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
For example, if I wanted to really piss people off I would say something like "I wish Tegan and Sara made a new album this year so they could be on this list, because it has way too much metal and we need more lesbian indie pop in our collective listening as a site because we look like a bunch of closedminded metal dudes based on this list."

SomewhereInTime72
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
For example, if I wanted to really piss people off I would say something like "I wish Tegan and Sara made a new album this year so they could be on this list, because it has way too much metal and we need more lesbian indie pop in our collective listening as a site because we look like a bunch of closedminded metal dudes based on this list."

Tegan and Sara > Fleet Foxes.

(time to run away)

TonyD
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM

(time to run away)

High on Fire > Tegan and Sara

=> High on Fire > Fleet Foxes

DethMaiden
01-16-2009, 05:42 PM

(time to run away)

Well, that's, uh, an interesting perspective. :eyes: I really like both but I don't think I can concur.

ChildrenofSodom
01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Interesting proposal: I think it would be neat if everyone picked their top ten of those top 25 given in this thread. You could only pick from those, and it would be a more honest show of what people liked best. Just a thought, might be kinda interesting.

Firewind
01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Interesting proposal: I think it would be neat if everyone picked their top ten of those top 25 given in this thread. You could only pick from those, and it would be a more honest show of what people liked best. Just a thought, might be kinda interesting.

1. Opeth-Watershed
2. Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
3. Cynic-Traced in Air
4. Amon Amarth-Twilight of the Thunder God
5. Evergrey-Torn
6. Firewind-The Premonition
7. Eluveitie-Slania
8. Toxic Holocaust-An Overdose of Death
9. Gojira-The Way of All Flesh
10. Genghis Tron-Board Up the House

Div
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
i dont think i'd be able to pull 10 albums out of that.

powerslave_85
01-16-2009, 07:09 PM
i dont think i'd be able to pull 10 albums out of that.
Yeah, I'd get maybe three or four.

TonyD
01-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Top 5?

Maiden33
01-17-2009, 06:29 AM
1.Royal Hunt - Collision Course
2.Pyramaze - Immortal
3.Firewind - The Premonition
4.Avantasia - The Scarecrow
5.Evergrey - Torn
6.Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus
7.Circle II Circle - Delusions of Granduer
8.Judas Priest - Nostradamus
9.Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning
... 10 would be a really difficult choosing between the 3 or so albums of the rest I heard but didn't care for. I guess I'd go for the Testament, or, dare I say it, Death Magnetic.

JuuKun
01-17-2009, 07:09 AM
1. Moonspell - Night Eternal
2. Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
3. Evergrey - Torn (The only three albums from my top that made it)
4. Eluveitie - Slania
5. Pyramaze - Immortal
6. Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
7. Avantasia - The Scarecrow
8. Firewind - The Premonition
9. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
10. Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus

(For some reason I still haven't heard enough of the new Royal Hunt, CIIC, or JOP)

Maiden33
01-17-2009, 09:38 AM
(For some reason I still haven't heard enough of the new Royal Hunt, CIIC, or JOP)

Sounds like you should listen to my internet radio show!

www.wpapu.com

ravenheart
01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm stunned Disturbed made it anywhere close to the list.

And where is Black Stone Cherry? I can only assume none of you have heard it ;)

Two off my list made it. That's better than last year, but I am usually the only one who votes for most of my stuff.

DethMaiden
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
1. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
2. Cynic- Traced in Air
3. Genghis Tron- Board Up the House
4. Opeth- Watershed
5. Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God

Fuzzier after that though if I'm consistent with my thoughts in December, my other thread would be a good place to check for the rest of my list.

TonyD
01-17-2009, 04:16 PM
And where is Black Stone Cherry? I can only assume none of you have heard it ;)

Nope, it was just no good.

ravenheart
01-18-2009, 06:35 AM
There's barely a correct word in that sentence. As a hard rock record it's flawless.

TonyD
01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Then I guess you and I don't see hard rock the same way. It's funny that you're criticizing my english while discussing a southern rock band.

mankvill
01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I totally forgot, but, Origin and Manilla Road both had releases last year. Fuck yeah, Kansas!

Sinfulsot
01-19-2009, 05:13 AM
1. Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God
2. Gojira- The Way of All Flesh
3. Judas Priest- Nostradamus
4. Warrel Dane- Praises to the War Machine
5. Disturbed- Indestructible
6. Testament- The Formation of Damnation

overkiller
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
The Genghis Tron has been getting a lot more attention from me lately.

overkiller
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
The Genghis Tron has been getting a lot more attention from me lately.

Yeah, if I had given this more time before the vote, it might've made my top 10.

jhdeity
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow, what a great way to eat up an hour or so of boring work time. Nice job guys. The only thing I don't understand is where the hell is Obzen? Other than that I think Scream, Aim, Fire is a great album especially with Ashes of the Innocent as a bonus track. For the record I think Ashes of the Innocent was the 2nd best song released in 2008 behind Combustion from Meshuggah. I think Gojira should be higher and actually like what I've heard of Fleet Foxes but was shocked to see them on this list.

I'll leave you guys with an excerpt from my favorite song of all time:

race with the devil
engine's slowin' down
fifty years too early
you're laying underground...
YOU'RE CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!

<insert pounding riffage here>