PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Dissapointment of 2008?

b_halperin
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
What was the most dissapointing album for you in 2008?

Mine definetely had to be All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot. I had very high hopes for the album :(

Div
12-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Nostradamus

TonyD
12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
I had very high hopes for the album :(
:eyes:

Ozzfest and Nostradamus.

ravenheart
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Love the new Slipknot, myself.

Biggest disappointment for me is easily Stuck Mojo - The Grand Revival.

(sic)&disturbed
12-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Nostradamus

Sinfulsot
12-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy

Maiden33
12-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man.

I honestly thought Framing Armageddon had a lot of good songs on it, and Barlow's album with Pyramaze is my #2 album of the year. I was expecting a lot more out of his long-awaited return to Iced Earth, but I honestly only really like one song on the album, "Come What May".

DethMaiden
12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Probably Immortal Technique- The 3rd World. I really wanted something in the vein of the Revolutionary albums and was let the fuck down.

ChildrenofSodom
12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Probably Immortal Technique- The 3rd World. I really wanted something in the vein of the Revolutionary albums and was let the fuck down.

:bouville:

DethMaiden
12-30-2008, 09:10 AM
:bouville:

At least I expected something out of it. Most of the albums I heard this year that sucked, I had a hunch that they would suck.

MetalStorm
12-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Nostradamus

ChildrenofSodom
12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm disappointed Mickey Avalon didnt make a new album.

powerslave_85
12-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Alkaline Trio, Metallica, and Opeth.

SomewhereInTime72
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm with Brad.
Metallica

Do you mean to say you expected something good from them? :confused:

Spiral_Slave
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with Maiden33, the biggest dissapointment for me was Iced Earth's "The Crucible Of Man."

ADD
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
The new Witchfinder General album by far.

JRA
12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Do you mean to say you expected something good from them? :confused:

To be fair, when Metallica did the unthinkable and ditched Bob Rock for Rick "Reign in Blood" Rubin, we did get our hopes up for some kind of improvement.

TonyD
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Rubin was the only thing that gave me any hope in the first place. At least now I can just give up on them all together instead of waiting for them to put out something good.

b_halperin
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
death magnetic was pretty sick if u listen to they key tracks: the day that never comes, cyanide, all nightmare long. but it ain't no master of puppets, i must admit i had much higher hopes for metallica

ChildrenofSodom
01-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Exactly. A few okay songs does not a great album make.

BootScraper
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
"All hope is gone" is easily the biggest disappointment...lacked the edge slipknot usually has. Poor lyrics and bad song structure dont help either.

mastodon421
08-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Judas Priest-Nostradamus by far.

xStructualDefect
09-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Slipknot - AHIG
Taproot - Our Long Road Home
BFMV - Scream Aim Fire (had some stand out tracks but way too much filler)
Into Eternity - Incurable Tragedy (def not as good as their past work)
In Flames - ASOP (i liked come clarity, but hated this album)

Natrlhi
09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
For me it was Destruction - D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.

It just sucks to know that two out of three guys in the current lineup were there for Destruction's seminal "Release from Agony" (still one of my favorite thrash albums ever...so progressive for its time), and still they can't pull off something even halfway decent. The album was just plain boring as hell - what a shame. :(

Fe Maiden
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Judas Priest-Nostradamus by far.I did not even buy it!:D

UnleashTheWolves
09-07-2009, 08:05 AM
In flames - A sense of purpose. I like all the albums before this one. it just wasnt that good. Atleast with jesper in rehab and stuff there might be some dark lyrics to look forward to on the next in flames album.:horns:

ravenheart
09-07-2009, 08:39 AM
"All hope is gone" is easily the biggest disappointment...lacked the edge slipknot usually has. Poor lyrics and bad song structure dont help either.

This is funny. It's easily Slipknot's best album. The first two are boring as fuck. The same "I hate everything" lyrics over and over, the same faux-aggression on every track.

The lyrics on AHIG are twice any song from the first two and most of the ones on Vol.3, and as an album it finally realises the variation they tried to put into Vol.3 but didn't quite achieve.

This is what a band progressing sounds like.

ravenheart
09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Rubin was the only thing that gave me any hope in the first place

Why? His production has ranged from shit to non-existent on everything he's been involved in. The Johnny Cash American albums are his only success, besides convincing the World he's any good at his job. Sneap DESTROYS him.

JRA
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Why? His production has ranged from shit to non-existent on everything he's been involved in.

The fans of this album would like a word with you:

http://www.pajiba.com/images/slayer.jpg

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Very true Slipknot comments. I used to dislike AHIG a lot as well, but then I realized that it was them maturing from their retarted "I hate everything, super cool drop-A riffage that sounds inaudible, angry jam session, let's say fuck every other word" attitude. While some songs are definitely not good IMO, it's only a little bit behind Vol. 3 for me. And to Rick Rubin, I don't know about EVERYTHING being shit (Slayer), but I 150% agree that Sneap buttfucks him.

UnleashTheWolves
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I like AHIG I think its their best one. I also like the other slipknot albums.:horns:

TonyD
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Why? His production has ranged from shit to non-existent on everything he's been involved in. The Johnny Cash American albums are his only success, besides convincing the World he's any good at his job. Sneap DESTROYS him.

Seriously?
The Beastie Boys, Run-DMC/Aerosmith collaboration and RHCP?
Also he produced Slipknot's volume 3, which was arguably their most accessible release. I remember hearing "Before I Forget" on the radio, hating the song but being jealous of the production.

Anyhoot, Rubin's style was perfect for Slayer because they needed their sound cleaned up and tightened. Metallica's music doesn't fit the production because there is sonic space that needs to be filled. Imagine "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "Master of Puppets" without reverb.

jhdeity
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm really shocked no one mentioned Mudvayne - The New Game. What a total piece of shit cd. Talk about filler? At least Nostradamus had a few moments. When the only redeeming song repeats the same 4 words over and over again you failed miserably. They went straight to the top of my shit list with that piece of crap. How could such a talented band write such shitty music?

Nickelback came out the same day and while it's the same old shit at least there are 3 good songs on the cd. When you get owned by fukkin Nickelback you officially SUCK!

SomewhereInTime72
09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm really shocked no one mentioned Mudvayne - The New Game. What a total piece of shit cd. Talk about filler? At least Nostradamus had a few moments. When the only redeeming song repeats the same 4 words over and over again you failed miserably. They went straight to the top of my shit list with that piece of crap. How could such a talented band write such shitty music?

Nickelback came out the same day and while it's the same old shit at least there are 3 good songs on the cd. When you get owned by fukkin Nickelback you officially SUCK!

I dunno, man. I thought The New Game was a lot better than the crapfest that was Lost and Found. :hmm:

Neither of the last two records come anywhere near the realm of L.D. 50 and The End of All Things To Come, though. :(

jhdeity
10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I've noticed a trend with some newer bands where they get progressively worse with each cd. LD 50 is a masterpiece. The end of all things has some great songs but isn't quite LD 50. The other 2 are a joke to me. At least Lost and Found has 3 good songs. Maybe I have to listen to New Game again but I counted 2 songs that I like in any way.

Dextrimental
10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I've noticed a trend with some newer bands where they get progressively worse with each cd. LD 50 is a masterpiece. The end of all things has some great songs but isn't quite LD 50. The other 2 are a joke to me. At least Lost and Found has 3 good songs. Maybe I have to listen to New Game again but I counted 2 songs that I like in any way.

Iv noticed that too.. Although I think its more bands nowadays are always lumped in with some sort of label or trend, and they try to deviate from that by changing their sound, and it either goes that they find a better sound and keep going, or slowly go downhill and die. Or they're limp bizkit. Mudvayne are trying to remain valid after the death of Nu-Metal, but theyre struggling I think. I havent heard the new game, but Iv heard like six songs on youtube and it all seems to be a-typical Bush bashing type material, which sucks. Scarlet letters is awesome though, and if Dull Boy is on there too it deserves a little credit.

jhdeity
10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Good Point. It's like they're trying to re-invent themselves and it doesn't work. I'm not saying make LD 50 part 2 but the structure and tenacity of those songs is severly lacking in their last 2 efforts.

Dextrimental
10-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Very true.. I mean take the two lead singles off that album, Death Blooms and Dig.. Both are very compelling to listen to, and have alot of push behind them. Compared to them the New Game ust sounds so somber and almost forced.