All Nightmare Long

i think it's safe to say that the day that never comes and master are next

andrew_metalhead
12-20-2008, 10:25 PM
i think it's safe to say that the day that never comes and master are next

yup! and im sure #16 will be Last caress. Just waiting for #13 and #17

rjturtle9
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
man i wish we would have gotten for whom the bell tolls in la.

that and FUCKIN FADE TO BLACK :flame: :mad: :grrr: :angry: :pissed: :nag: :wallbang: :foaming:

andrew_metalhead
12-20-2008, 10:59 PM
man i wish we would have gotten for whom the bell tolls in la.

that and FUCKIN FADE TO BLACK :flame: :mad: :grrr: :angry: :pissed: :nag: :wallbang: :foaming:

yeaaa .. at least Lars fulfilled my wish of Metal Militia for 30 seconds :D

rjturtle9
12-20-2008, 11:11 PM

haha yeah that was kinda kool. wish they had played the whole thing though

andrew_metalhead
12-20-2008, 11:13 PM
haha yeah that was kinda kool. wish they had played the whole thing though

if they play it tonite i'll be so pissed :flame:

ADD
12-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Well they fuckin started to play Metal Militia and I got all excited, but then of course they go into Last Caress :rolleyes: Major bumsesh. Good show overall though, they came out absolutely on fire the first 4-5 songs, then it really started to lag. The middle of the setlist desperately needed something old/fast to mix things up. 4 black album songs is also 4 too many. And to put it very plainly, Lars Ulrich is not a professional-caliber drummer. End of discussion.

On the positive side, CREEPING DEATH! BLACKENED! WHIPLASH!!!!!!! They also came out at the end and gave Lars the whole pie/confetti shower treatment cuz its his birthday on the 26th, and they all addressed the hometown crowd in a nice sign of appreciation. Crowd was very enthusiastic especially for the newer songs which was probably very rewarding for Metallica to hear and see that response. Cool laser show too, the round stage is also an interesting twist and the band really use it to their advantage in interacting with the crowd.

Overall, they sure ain't High On Fire but they're still an act worth seeing these days :cool:

hot_turkey_ed
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I skipped this show. I have lost almost all interest in Metallica. I enjoyed the new album briefly but any renewed infatuation quickly wore off. There is just too much other metal on my radar for this blip to get noticed anymore.

Jdog
12-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I skipped this show. I have lost almost all interest in Metallica. I enjoyed the new album briefly but any renewed infatuation quickly wore off. There is just too much other metal on my radar for this blip to get noticed anymore.

Well....do you think you'll be missed??

mankvill
12-21-2008, 12:06 PM
in b4 massive shitstorm

Jdog
12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
And to put it very plainly, Lars Ulrich is not a professional-caliber drummer. End of discussion.

What would you consider 'Professional-caliber'? Yeah, he's no fucking Bonham or Peart but he certainly is profressional. And 9 studio albums drumming for the most successful rock band today makes him so.

mankvill
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
What would you consider 'Professional-caliber'? Yeah, he's no fucking Bonham or Peart but he certainly is profressional. And 9 studio albums drumming for the most successful rock band today makes him so.
He can't keep the double bass up on "One" live. I'm not saying they're a bad band, because I really like them and they were awesome live, but to say that Lars is an above-average drummer is...eh.

JuuKun
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM

LOL @ Metallica being the most successful rock band today.

hot_turkey_ed
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Well....do you think you'll be missed??

By friends? Yes.

By the band? Metallica missed me as much I missed them. :D

ADD
12-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Metallica's music is for the most part not very complex, so the least he could do would be to just to sit back in the pocket and keep the time and tempo changes running smoothly, which would be just peachy. But he constantly tries to overplay and do unnecessary things that aren't even on the studio versions, and it'd be fine except when he does it, more times than not the whole rhythm section gets fucked up. I don't go to shows to watch the musicians with my arms crossed studying their every move, but when there are blatantly obvious fuckups on multiple occasions it starts to get annoying. When you're unable to perform a song like "Sad But True" adequately, that's not a good sign.

hot_turkey_ed
12-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Metallica's music is for the most part not very complex, so the least he could do would be to just to sit back in the pocket and keep the time and tempo changes running smoothly, which would be just peachy. But he constantly tries to overplay and do unnecessary things that aren't even on the studio versions, and it'd be fine except when he does it, more times than not the whole rhythm section gets fucked up. I don't go to shows to watch the musicians with my arms crossed studying their every move, but when there are blatantly obvious fuckups on multiple occasions it starts to get annoying. When you're unable to perform a song like "Sad But True" adequately, that's not a good sign.

ADD 1
LARS 0

:nutkick:

Div
12-21-2008, 02:18 PM

maybe you've heard of a band called iron maiden? i dunno, just throwing it out there.

(sic)&disturbed
12-21-2008, 02:58 PM
maybe you've heard of a band called iron maiden? i dunno, just throwing it out there.

Who's that?:tongue:

Jdog
12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
LOL @ Metallica being the most successful rock band today.

Hmm....is there another band that is more successful? AC/DC is probably the closest but their new album is marginal at best.

JuuKun
12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmm....is there another band that is more successful? AC/DC is probably the closest but their new album is marginal at best.

You said rock. That's quite a big genre.

EDIT: I'll be the first to admit that some of the logic I originally used in this post is flawed. So let's just think about something here. Rock is a broad genre. How about 2008's highest grossing tours, which were Bon Jovi (210.6 million) and Bruce Springsteen (204.5 million) ? Metallica is definitely successful, but I highly doubt they are the most successful with such a broad genre to compete.

mankvill
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
bon jovi ist krieg :fist:

Jdog
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
You said rock. That's quite a big genre.

EDIT: I'll be the first to admit that some of the logic I originally used in this post is flawed. So let's just think about something here. Rock is a broad genre.

I was referring to Hard Rock. What Bon Jovi is pulling is just sick.

Jdog
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't go to shows to watch the musicians with my arms crossed studying their every move, but .....
Really? It sure sounds like it. There's nothing wrong with improvisation. It's ok for guitarist to do it but not drummers? And for a drummer to not play beat for beat to the album, that means they're fucking up for improvising? Like I said before, he's not Bonham but he isn't Peter Chris either.

Jdog
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Uh yeah. What did Maiden do this year? They put out anything last year? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's safe to say that Metallica is definately more successful than Maiden - even with Nicko as the more accomplished drummer, lol.

ADD
12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Really? It sure sounds like it. There's nothing wrong with improvisation. It's ok for guitarist to do it but not drummers? And for a drummer to not play beat for beat to the album, that means they're fucking up for improvising? Like I said before, he's not Bonham but he isn't Peter Chris either.

No, man, what I'm trying to say is basically that when he does try to "improvise" he goes off-beat and out of time. Simple as that. Everyone can hear it, even my dad commented afterwards on his drumming without me bringing it up. If he just stuck to the way he plays the songs on the albums the band would be better off for it, that's all I'm saying. He could pull a Brann Dailor and throw random fills around for a whole set for all I care, as long as he stays in time, which he has a hard time doing, and this is surprising to me that such a glaring error would be in the cog of a machine as big as Metallica.

Div
12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Uh yeah. What did Maiden do this year? They put out anything last year? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's safe to say that Metallica is definately more successful than Maiden - even with Nicko as the more accomplished drummer, lol.

well considering almost any metal band out there lists maiden as their influence i would argue otherwise. and incase you unfortunately missed it, maiden went on a world tour this year to places metallica has never even been. theyve also been going strong for alot longer than metallica has and all their fans still love them, as opposed to metallica who, in most metalheads eyes, has been sucking it up for the last 20 years. also, their last album before DM was released in 2003, thats a pretty long hiatus for a band whos supposed to be "the most successful", while maiden has been releasing albums at a pretty consistent rate. so i wouldnt say it's safe to call them more successful than maiden at all.

andrew_metalhead
12-21-2008, 07:15 PM
^^

Wudn't disagree with that.

For me too, Maiden>Metallica

But I do love Metallica, Priest and Megadeth :)

I hope I can save money to go to India and catch the Iron Maiden gig there in Feb :(

Lars and Kirk have been well known as being Maiden FANBOYS themselves :) They were in the pit when Iron Maiden played at the LA Forum in Feb 08!!

TonyD
12-21-2008, 09:36 PM

Major blue balls

Overall, they sure ain't High On Fire but they're still an act worth seeing these days :cool:

Major understatement

andrew_metalhead
12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Major blue balls

Major lameness :blaze::tongue:

Jdog
12-22-2008, 02:45 AM
well considering almost any metal band out there lists maiden as their influence i would argue otherwise. and incase you unfortunately missed it, maiden went on a world tour this year to places metallica has never even been. theyve also been going strong for alot longer than metallica has and all their fans still love them, as opposed to metallica who, in most metalheads eyes, has been sucking it up for the last 20 years. also, their last album before DM was released in 2003, thats a pretty long hiatus for a band whos supposed to be "the most successful", while maiden has been releasing albums at a pretty consistent rate. so i wouldnt say it's safe to call them more successful than maiden at all.

I was speaking dollars for dollars. But yes, Maiden has put out many more noteworthy and respectable albums. No argument there. Many of those bands that sight Maiden as an influence, you know that Metallica are right along in there too. Both Maiden and Metallica - Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. Outside of them, Sabbath and Nirvana, I can't think of any other bands that have done that. Even with the piece-of-shit albums they have put out, they have still garnered more fans than Maiden. Yes Maiden may have toured this year to places that Metallica has never been (can that be proven?) and maybe they might have more 'loyal' fans but that hardly makes them more successful. Maiden's fans have dropped off as well since Powerslave. That's apparent through album and ticket sales since then. So with that said, is Metallica more successful? A resounding YES.

MetalIsArt
12-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Maiden, with their overly long AMOLAD?

Another band I really like, but don't say that they have made only good albums...

hot_turkey_ed
12-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I was speaking dollars for dollars. But yes, Maiden has put out many more noteworthy and respectable albums. No argument there. Many of those bands that sight Maiden as an influence, you know that Metallica are right along in there too. Both Maiden and Metallica - Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. Outside of them, Sabbath and Nirvana, I can't think of any other bands that have done that. Even with the piece-of-shit albums they have put out, they have still garnered more fans than Maiden. Yes Maiden may have toured this year to places that Metallica has never been (can that be proven?) and maybe they might have more 'loyal' fans but that hardly makes them more successful. Maiden's fans have dropped off as well since Powerslave. That's apparent through album and ticket sales since then. So with that said, is Metallica more successful? A resounding YES.

Metallica changed the genre of Rock? I don't know about that. Their impact on early thrash is clear but it seems to me that Metallica has followed, less led, since Load.

As much I love Iron Maiden, there isn't any question that Metallica Corporation has become the bigger band.

SomewhereInTime72
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. .

:lol: :wtf: :LOLFC::dorky:

Div
12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Maiden, with their overly long AMOLAD?

Another band I really like, but don't say that they have made only good albums...

amolad was a good album. following in the trend of the post reunion albums id say it was a step forward. i would rank the songs they did on amolad higher than any of the simplistic "weekend warrior" or "bring your daughter" type of songs they did in the past.

if you give it a chance theres plenty of amazing stuff on there, lord of light is definitely a great metal song, it even sounds almost old school sabbath like in a way. the drumming in greater good stood out for me, especially right before the solo. the legacy had a very cool abstract intro. bruce's vocals were perfect at conveying the emotion behind the lyrics. i wouldnt say its the perfect album to rock out to, but its certainly not boring. you have to give the guys in maiden credit, theyre not stupid guys, just cause it doesnt jump out at you first doesnt make it boring.

MetalIsArt
12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
amolad was a good album. following in the trend of the post reunion albums id say it was a step forward. i would rank the songs they did on amolad higher than any of the simplistic "weekend warrior" or "bring your daughter" type of songs they did in the past.

if you give it a chance theres plenty of amazing stuff on there, lord of light is definitely a great metal song, it even sounds almost old school sabbath like in a way. the drumming in greater good stood out for me, especially right before the solo. the legacy had a very cool abstract intro. bruce's vocals were perfect at conveying the emotion behind the lyrics. i wouldnt say its the perfect album to rock out to, but its certainly not boring. you have to give the guys in maiden credit, theyre not stupid guys, just cause it doesnt jump out at you first doesnt make it boring.

No, it was boring for me. Especially when they played it fully live.

But, that doesn't change the fact that they have the best singer in Metal. His last solo album, man, I don't know how he does that with all the touring & recording. I'm actually listening to them now.

rjturtle9
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM

:eek:

dude i love metallica but maiden pwns them.

Jdog
12-22-2008, 03:52 PM
:lol: :wtf: :LOLFC::dorky:

Yep. I said it and that's just what they did. They changed the genre of rock. Where would metal/thrash be today without the first 4 albums?