PDA

View Full Version : Metallica -- Los Angeles, CA -- December 17th, 2008

andrew_metalhead
12-18-2008, 12:35 AM
O my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case anybody here was at the show, I was the guy with the Indian flag on the barrier :) The band remembered me from the Meet and Greet! I was so thrilled they remembered me man!!! Robert came down from the stage and took my flag, shook my hand and said "Nice seeing you again dude!" James and Lars said Hello to me too and they loved the flag!!

I had written on the flag 'India Loves Metallica' :)

Every1 around me started congratulating me when they actually displayed the flag on the stage for every1 to see!!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Oh by the way on top of all this, I got machine head's setlist and a Kirk pick :rocker:

Machine Head :
Clenching
Imperium
Beautiful
Halo
Davidian

Metallica :

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Creeping Death :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
Harvester Of Sorrow :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Damage, Inc. :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Last Caress
Green Hell :rocker: :rocker:
Seek and Destroy

Anyone else going to tomorrow's show I'll see ya there!

vegaseric
12-18-2008, 06:30 AM
If Metallica was in India during those attacks in Mumbai.....would they have loved Metallica too?

rjturtle9
12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
haha hell yeah i saw that. sick. and they played 20 seconds of metal militia haha

hell yeah i saw creeping death and damage inc again :rocker::rocker:

in my opinion, ozzfest was way better, but this show still kicked ass

Jdog
12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Harvester, Creeping and Damage - missed those in SD. Damn it all to hell.

xStructualDefect
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
ill be at tonights LA show.
that setlist is fucking sick im looking forward tonight.
my first time seeing them.
ill be the 17yrd old with a Children of Bodom tour shirt.

Div
12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
you met metallica? youre lucky they didnt try to take any of your money, you better double check your wallet just to be sure.

SomewhereInTime72
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
you met metallica? youre lucky they didnt try to take any of your money, you better double check your wallet just to be sure.

Don't be ridiculous, why would they bother taking a kids wallet? They don't deal in figures that small.

mankvill
12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
INDIA AND METAL MILITIA! :fist:

andrew_metalhead
12-19-2008, 01:07 AM
If Metallica was in India during those attacks in Mumbai.....would they have loved Metallica too?

Whats that supposed to mean?

andrew_metalhead
12-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Don't be ridiculous, why would they bother taking a kids wallet? They don't deal in figures that small.

how old are you dude? 99? And i'm no kid.

And if u are not a Metallica fan gtfo this thread

andrew_metalhead
12-19-2008, 01:10 AM

The attacks are none of our poeple's fault. That doesn't mean we don't see our favorite bands. Don't get me started on the fuckin US crowds dude. I would rather not.

MetalIsArt
12-19-2008, 03:53 AM
It's forbidden to make mony with metal, don't you guys know?

metalmilitia54
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Damn, looks like I missed out with Creeping Death. Oh well, next time. At least I got Four Horsemen & Fight Fire =)

Div
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
its not about making money, its about metallica SUING their fans, which is flat out greedy and is NOT metal. you dont sue the fans, thats like the ultimate "fuck you" to the metal crowd. "thanks for your support and im glad you like our music, we as musicians get no greater pleasure than knowing that what we do is appreciated by you guys.... oh but we're going to take your ass to court and make you pay us a huge amount of money that you dont have, even if you're a little kid, because we're a bunch of washed up cocksuckers who havent written anything decent since ...And Justice"

i will never give those greedy fucks any money or publicity, albeit through buying their CDs, wearing their shirts, going to their shows, etc. you've gotta draw the line somewhere, you have to let the band know that what they did was not cool.

weird al got it right:
"hush little lars dont say a word
and never mind that noise you heard
its just the fans making bootleg tapes
i hope you choke on your sour grapes

we're in debt
from the internet
screw the fans
we're off to napster napster land"

andrew_metalhead
12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
^^

Old news.

Get over it. Smell the coffee.

I respect your feelings though .. I can understand how people still feel that way.

All I would say is I enjoy going to metal shows and Metallica put on an amazing show.

SomewhereInTime72
12-20-2008, 08:57 AM
its not about making money, its about metallica SUING their fans, which is flat out greedy and is NOT metal. you dont sue the fans, thats like the ultimate "fuck you" to the metal crowd. "thanks for your support and im glad you like our music, we as musicians get no greater pleasure than knowing that what we do is appreciated by you guys.... oh but we're going to take your ass to court and make you pay us a huge amount of money that you dont have, even if you're a little kid, because we're a bunch of washed up cocksuckers who havent written anything decent since ...And Justice"

i will never give those greedy fucks any money or publicity, albeit through buying their CDs, wearing their shirts, going to their shows, etc. you've gotta draw the line somewhere, you have to let the band know that what they did was not cool.

weird al got it right:

we're in debt
from the internet
screw the fans

No one cares about this. BTW they didn't sue their fans, they sued Napster.

JRA
12-20-2008, 09:08 AM

weird al got it right:

we're in debt
from the internet
screw the fans

Except that wasn't even a Weird Al song.

Div
12-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Except that wasn't even a Weird Al song.

woah youre right, ive had this on my pc from back in the old kazaa days and never bothered to double check :eek:

and for the rest of you; w/e, what they did was still lame and they never apologized for it, so the hell with them.

http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id374/pg1/

TonyD
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
because we're a bunch of washed up cocksuckers who havent written anything decent since ...And Justice"

I can't totally support that statement, but there's definitely no work that can touch the first four as a complete album, let alone anything worth my $15.

I can understand still going to see them live, but most of the people who still support them and think that Death Magnetic is a return to their glory days are just following in blind fanboy-ism because it's Metallica. It's a different band from Metal Up Your Ass, the rest of the Cliff era, the Black Album, 'tallica, or St. Anger (t0tally suxors). But it's all called Metallica, and because Metallica was metal when it was, the fanboys still think it's metal.

To their credit (James, Lars, Kirk, and mostly Cliff), they were untouchable between '85 and '86. They weren't just THE thrash band, but they were THE band, up there with Zeppelin, Sabbath and Maiden in their day. Sadly today, the current lineup is only funded by the lingering fans from the early days and the next generation of kids who are fans of Lamb of God and the ones learning the MoP solo note for note.

If you know what's been going on for the past 20 years it's not hard to come to the conclusion that for one, Cliff was the one who is responsible for turning another run of the mill band from the thrash movement into a modern day phenomenon. Second, after the Black Album, there haven't been more than a handful of songs with any depth or anything to say. Nothing they have put out in the past 15 years wasn't written by a number of artists already; "I like driving fast cars", "Life passes you by quickly", "I have drug problems".

For those of you who still say "fuck you, Metallica rules", so be it. Ignorance is bliss.

SomewhereInTime72
12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I can't totally support that statement, but there's definitely no work that can touch the first four as a complete album, let alone anything worth my $15.

I can understand still going to see them live, but most of the people who still support them and think that Death Magnetic is a return to their glory days are just following in blind fanboy-ism because it's Metallica. It's a different band from Metal Up Your Ass, the rest of the Cliff era, the Black Album, 'tallica, or St. Anger (t0tally suxors). But it's all called Metallica, and because Metallica was metal when it was, the fanboys still think it's metal.

To their credit (James, Lars, Kirk, and mostly Cliff), they were untouchable between '85 and '86. They weren't just THE thrash band, but they were THE band, up there with Zeppelin, Sabbath and Maiden in their day. Sadly today, the current lineup is only funded by the lingering fans from the early days and the next generation of kids who are fans of Lamb of God and the ones learning the MoP solo note for note.

If you know what's been going on for the past 20 years it's not hard to come to the conclusion that for one, Cliff was the one who is responsible for turning another run of the mill band from the thrash movement into a modern day phenomenon. Second, after the Black Album, there haven't been more than a handful of songs with any depth or anything to say. Nothing they have put out in the past 15 years wasn't written by a number of artists already; "I like driving fast cars", "Life passes you by quickly", "I have drug problems".

For those of you who still say "fuck you, Metallica rules", so be it. Ignorance is bliss.

Are you honestly trying to say Death Magnetic isn't metal? :lol: A return to the glory days, I'd say not, but it really is the best album they've put out since Justice, and it's pretty freaking good.

Also, it's absolutely retarded to say that Cliff was the driving force behind the band. The guy helped write about 9 songs or so for the entire band. The rest of the 33, including the ones Cliff helped to write, all have Hetfield/Ulrich stamped on them. Not to mention, their best album (IMO) was written entirely without Cliff, excluding parts of To Live is to Die. Hetfield/Ulrich have always been the driving force of Metallica, and since Lars is a shitty/mediocre drummer - I'd like to say Hetfield is the reason Metallica are Metallica.

Also, um, LOL at "Nothing they have put out in the past 15 years wasn't written by a number of artists already". Because FYI nothing they have ever put out hasn't been written by a number of artists already. You're pretty seriously fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

tl;dr: fuck you, Metallica rules

...I don't even like Metallica that much, I just know that most of the Metallica-bashing is idiotic and founded in, well, almost nothing.

andrew_metalhead
12-20-2008, 03:07 PM
tl;dr: fuck you, Metallica rules

...I don't even like Metallica that much, I just know that most of the Metallica-bashing is idiotic and founded in, well, almost nothing.

No point in arguing with that guy. In every Metallica thread its his job to post one anti-Metallica comment :lol: :lol:

And to those who like using the word "fanboy", my favorite band is not just Metallica, but Iron Maiden and Megadeth too. I never got to see Metallica before this year as I was in India, so I will see them whenever they come here. I donno why that is such a big problem to some people here.

Bashers : i pity you. get over your bullshit. just enjoy the music. over and out.

rjturtle9
12-20-2008, 09:22 PM

yeah true. i can understand the napster thing. shame on lars, but still, metallica is a great band. bashing on metallica has become the trend to do in the last few years, and to be honest, they kinda deserved it will the whole some kind of monster/st. anger crap, but people that say that death magnetic is shit are just assholes. if u don't like metallica, fine so be it, but don't fill a metallica thread with bullshit because that's just idiotic. everything you post on a metallica thread is negative. quit being an asshole and just enjoy our music, and don't ruin shit for everyone else

TonyD
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not on here to be an asshole, but if everyone else is allowed to share their opinion on how wonderful Metallica is at this point, I have every right to share what I think about them and their album. If anybody is going to dismiss it as bullshit because I don't agree with you, then you are the asshole.

andrew_metalhead
12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not on here to be an asshole, but if everyone else is allowed to share their opinion on how wonderful Metallica is at this point, I have every right to share what I think about them and their album. If anybody is going to dismiss it as bullshit because I don't agree with you, then you are the asshole.

ok dude. carry on. its obvious from your signature what kind of music you like and how great your opinion is.

TonyD
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
ok dude. carry on. its obvious from your signature what kind of music you like and how great your opinion is.

... and your point is?
Your opinion is better than mine because you don't like Meshuggah?

TonyD
12-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Also, it's absolutely retarded to say that Cliff was the driving force behind the band. The guy helped write about 9 songs or so for the entire band. The rest of the 33, including the ones Cliff helped to write, all have Hetfield/Ulrich stamped on them. Not to mention, their best album (IMO) was written entirely without Cliff, excluding parts of To Live is to Die. Hetfield/Ulrich have always been the driving force of Metallica, and since Lars is a shitty/mediocre drummer - I'd like to say Hetfield is the reason Metallica are Metallica.

First of all, Kill Em All was a good album, but nothing special creative-wise.

Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits. Ktulu is rarely played live, but it's hard not to say it's a great track. If not for Cliff, the intro riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls would either be filled by lone quarter notes on the bass drum or a lame guitar bit.

I don't agree that Justice is their best album, but either way it's not very far removed, if at all from their previous two albums. The format of the album itself and the song structures are essentially the same. To me it's "Master Of Puppets II", much like Wayne's World. The second one was good, but it's just not the same.

To sum it up, Cliff was what seperated Metallica from Megadeth and Testament. Then came the Black Album.

mankvill
12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
...are you saying Wayne's World 2 wasn't good? :flame:

TonyD
12-21-2008, 11:10 PM
It didn't have a Scoobie Doo ending

Jdog
12-22-2008, 03:15 AM

Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits. Ktulu is rarely played live, but it's hard not to say it's a great track. If not for Cliff, the intro riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls would either be filled by lone quarter notes on the bass drum or a lame guitar bit.

I don't agree that Justice is their best album, but either way it's not very far removed, if at all from their previous two albums. The format of the album itself and the song structures are essentially the same. To me it's "Master Of Puppets II", much like Wayne's World. The second one was good, but it's just not the same.

To sum it up, Cliff was what seperated Metallica from Megadeth and Testament. Then came the Black Album.

You know, you gotta love the armchair rock critics who think they know it all. All praise TonyD. Hetfield could fart and it would be a decent song. What the fuck have you produced in the last 29 years? You obviously DON'T LIKE Metallica, as you sighted that you only like 3 out of their 9 albums. So the questions remains, what the fuck are you doing here? I don't like some of their albums either but I still own them. Of all the 'hair bands' that came out of the 80's, and Nirvana killed most of those bands and drove Metal back underground, thank god we still have Metallica.

Puppets and Justice are not comparable in the least. If any comparison, it would be that Justice is what Puppets would sound like without Cliff but that's a stretch. With Justice, they were at the height of their creativity. But there's no way it could be classified as Puppets II. That's just laughable. There's no Sanitarium, Thing that should not be, Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah type songs on Justice. The songs on Justice were so much more complex.

Are you saying that the Black album sounded like what Megadeth was doing at the time? If anything many of the themes and song structures (mildly) were closer to Puppets.

es156
12-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Of all the 'hair bands' that came out of the 80's, and Nirvana killed most of those bands and drove Metal back underground, thank god we still have Metallica.

Wait, are you calling Metallica a "hair band?"

:lol:

MetalIsArt
12-22-2008, 05:11 AM
All I'm saying is: Slayer has made some "nu-metal" albums too, and nobody complaints, because they're Slayer. I like 'em, but you gotta be honest:

Or is Undisputed Attitude an even better album than Reign In Blood?

MetalIsArt
12-22-2008, 05:13 AM

Black Album isn't their best, for me that's Ride The Lightning, but it's 100 times better than RISK...

JuuKun
12-22-2008, 06:23 AM
All I'm saying is: Slayer has made some "nu-metal" albums too, and nobody complaints, because they're Slayer. I like 'em, but you gotta be honest:

Actually, there are quite a few people (Maybe not on this board, but on other boards I'm on) who don't like anything they've put out since Seasons in the Abyss. So, there ARE plenty of people that complain.

but people that say that death magnetic is shit are just assholes. if u don't like metallica, fine so be it, but don't fill a metallica thread with bullshit because that's just idiotic

So, it's bullshit for us to have a negative opinion about Death Magnetic? When did we make liking an album mandatory?

SomewhereInTime72
12-22-2008, 08:53 AM

I guess that's pretty legit.

Too bad Megadeth were better. ;)
Actually, there are quite a few people (Maybe not on this board, but on other boards I'm on) who don't like anything they've put out since Seasons in the Abyss. So, there ARE plenty of people that complain.

Aaaaaaaaand, here I am! :tongue:

MetalIsArt
12-22-2008, 09:31 AM
@JuuKun, sorry. :D:finger::bliss:

rjturtle9
12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
So, it's bullshit for us to have a negative opinion about Death Magnetic? When did we make liking an album mandatory?

ok ok sorry about that one, i was just pissed. i just think that death magnetic doesn't get the appreciation that it deserves.

Jdog
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Wait, are you calling Metallica a "hair band?"

:lol:

No, not at all. Just that they came out of that era. Many 'Metal' bands didn't survive either.

TonyD
12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Black Album isn't their best, for me that's Ride The Lightning, but it's 100 times better than RISK...

I never said that the Black Album was, I agree that Ride was their best, but I don't know what Risk has to do with all of this.

TonyD
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
You know, you gotta love the armchair rock critics who think they know it all. All praise TonyD. Hetfield could fart and it would be a decent song. What the fuck have you produced in the last 29 years? You obviously DON'T LIKE Metallica, as you sighted that you only like 3 out of their 9 albums. So the questions remains, what the fuck are you doing here? I don't like some of their albums either but I still own them. Of all the 'hair bands' that came out of the 80's, and Nirvana killed most of those bands and drove Metal back underground, thank god we still have Metallica.

Puppets and Justice are not comparable in the least. If any comparison, it would be that Justice is what Puppets would sound like without Cliff but that's a stretch. With Justice, they were at the height of their creativity. But there's no way it could be classified as Puppets II. That's just laughable. There's no Sanitarium, Thing that should not be, Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah type songs on Justice. The songs on Justice were so much more complex.

Are you saying that the Black album sounded like what Megadeth was doing at the time? If anything many of the themes and song structures (mildly) were closer to Puppets.

First of all, don't try using "what have you done?" unless it's your music.
I'm not an armchair rock critic. I'm not a rock critic. I'm not a critic. I'm a metal fan that doesn't accept bad material from an artist getting payed like they are making good material.
I like 4 of their albums, you would know that if you could read.
If you think that Metallica is the only good band born from the 80's to be around this whole time, you don't have any idea what's going on.

Sanitarium, Disposable, Leper and The Thing That Should Not Be don't feature any writing by Cliff other than lyrics. If you think that Justice features more complex songs (like Ride and Creeping Death), it only strengthens evidence that the album was built on the style that was cultivated by Cliff.

I'm not saying that the Black Album was like what Megadeth was doing at the time.

mankvill
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM

Or is Undisputed Attitude an even better album than Reign In Blood?

oh no you didn't.

Slayer have never sold-out. Yes, they have made some radio friendly albums and yes, nothing can touch the glory days of pre-1990, but they've never had a ballad. They've never had (shitty) clean vocals. They've never had whole songs played with just acoustic guitars. They have been and will always be metal. That is why they are the greatest metal band of all time (ohshi- ).

Metallica doesn't even come CLOSE.

Jdog
12-23-2008, 05:58 AM
If you think that Justice features more complex songs (like Ride and Creeping Death), it only strengthens evidence that the album was built on the style that was cultivated by Cliff.

Well, that's the first good point you've made. However the only people who could know that are the four guys in the studio at the time. But I'm gonna go with they made the album that was in them, not by any direction or suggestion Cliff gave in the past. If anything, as the band has stated, Cliff was into the more melodic stuff that they had composed. I remember hearing or reading in an interview from Kurt that Cliff listened to the Eagles often.

rjturtle9
12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits.

not true. i would love 4 them to play those two but the odds of them playing them are slim to none. those two are some of my favorites

TonyD
12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, that's the first good point you've made. However the only people who could know that are the four guys in the studio at the time. But I'm gonna go with they made the album that was in them, not by any direction or suggestion Cliff gave in the past. If anything, as the band has stated, Cliff was into the more melodic stuff that they had composed. I remember hearing or reading in an interview from Kurt that Cliff listened to the Eagles often.
You mean Kirk?
He was into a lot of things, including 70's prog rock. Somewhere on youtube you can find a video of his first band playing at their high school, and it sounds a hell of a lot more prog than the Eagles. None of the other three were very influenced by that type of material until well after Cliff joined, and I doubt any of them had much to do with putting together compositions like Ktulu or Orion, the same types of long and complex songs on Justice, only with more speed.

TonyD
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
not true. i would love 4 them to play those two but the odds of them playing them are slim to none. those two are some of my favorites

But would you or anyone else take those two over any two of the others mentioned?

rjturtle9
12-23-2008, 02:50 PM
But would you or anyone else take those two over any two of the others mentioned?

i'd take escape over bellz, fire, and lightning any day.

Jdog
12-23-2008, 07:54 PM
You mean Kirk?

Hehehe, yeah, blekth!

CurleyQLink
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been into Metallica since the mid 80's and have seen them six times (Monsters of Rock when Garage Days was out, twice on the Justice tour, the Shit in the Sheds summer tour, Load and Reload). They are an amazing live band. That said, the current set lists are disappointing. Nothing Else Matters and Unforgiven are songs that slow down a set to a crawl. The Metallica I first saw all those years ago would have beaten the snot out of a band that played these tunes in concert.

JRA
12-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I would love to hear "Escape" live! Underrated metal anthem fo sho!

CurleyQLink
12-27-2008, 04:42 AM
While every Metallica show I've seen has been incredible (except for about 1/4 of the Reload tour), the following is one of the best shows of any band I ever saw from any band- the crowd was crazy after Ian Astbury, lead singer of The Cult, who opened the show while on their Sonic Temple tour, got into a fight with a fan in the front row- a near riot ensued- chairs were flying all over the floor and the injured were carried out- the entire Metallica set was done with the lights only half off so that security could watch the crowd. This was their second visit to Philly on the tour- saw the first show as well- metal does not get any better than this.

July 19, 1989 - Philadelphia, PA - The Spectrum

Ecstasy of Gold (tape)
Blackened
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Harvester of Sorrow
The Four Horsemen
The Thing That Should Not Be
Bass Solo
To Live Is To Die Doodle
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black