08. Wetnurse, Invisible City

07. Origin, Antithesis

06. Rotten Sound, Cycles

05. The Gates of Slumber, Conqueror

04. Opeth, Watershed

03. Genghis Tron, Board Up the House

02. Nachtmystium, Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1

01. Torche, Meanderthal

Well, I pretty much hated Meanderthal, but my personal top ten shares three albums with theirs (Opeth, Genghis Tron, Made Out of Babies). Not an awful list all in all.

powerslave_85
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Ha, I've heard 3 of those. I need to check out Trap Them, though. I've heard good things about them, and they're on Jacob Bannon (singer of Converge)'s label.

PowerMaiden
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
the last Amon Amarth is great

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DethMaiden
12-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I've only heard 10 of their 40 even though I consider Decibel my main source for finding new music nowadays.

es156
12-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I've only heard 10 of their 40 even though I consider Decibel my main source for finding new music nowadays.

Ah, so that's your problem.

;)

DethMaiden
12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Ah, so that's your problem.

;)

:dorky: Obviously.

powerslave_85
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
This just wasn't the best year for metal, at least not for me. Genghis Tron was really the only unexpected surprise.

es156
12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
:dorky: Obviously.

:lol:

I have only heard 2 from that list. Testament and Cynic.

DethMaiden
12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
This just wasn't the best year for metal, at least not for me. Genghis Tron was really the only unexpected surprise.

That and Made Out of Babies were the two metal records I was craziest about this year.

Firewind
12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
That Wetnurse album is very good, and I liked Meanderthal.
I liked all these:

33. Cynic, Traced in Air

28. Bloodbath, The Fathomless Mastery

27. Testament, The Formation of Damnation

18. Toxic Holocaust, An Overdose of Death

16. Enslaved, Vertebrae

15. Gojira, The Way of All Flesh

13. Amon Amarth, Twilight of the Thunder God

12. Krallice, Krallice

08. Wetnurse, Invisible City

04. Opeth, Watershed

03. Genghis Tron, Board Up the House

02. Nachtmystium, Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1

01. Torche, Meanderthal

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I've listened to three of those..haha.

Spiral_Slave
12-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I've only heard the new Amon Amarth off of this list, and it needs to be higher.

Maiden33
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I've listened to three of those..haha.

That beats my none.

ChildrenofSodom
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
That beats my none.

Haha. And between your list and mine, there probably wont be many repeats. Its funny how diverse metal is.

ADD
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I've heard the vast majority of those, lots of really great albums and others that I thought sucked. I think they are being too arbitrary trying to be diverse with this list. Seems like they had to throw in something from basically every sub-genre/style of metal somewhere in there. They do have really good taste in general though.

TonyD
12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
32. Meshuggah, ObZen

15. Gojira, The Way of All Flesh

13. Amon Amarth, Twilight of the Thunder God

04. Opeth, Watershed

I don't know what this is based on, but Twilight of the Thunder God is the result of putting all of the previous AA albums in a blender, which isn't a horrible thing, but still is not a better piece of work than The Way of All Flesh or ObZen. A lot of ObZen was based on the same structure of previous material but still brought new music to the table. In contrast, Bleed for example,
1) is a great song
2) sounds like absolutely nothing that has come before
The rest of what is on this list I can agree with, but ObZen should be at the same level or above Watershed. Call me biased, but I don't support anything that I don't think deserves it. That said, props to Decibel for including Testament and not including Death Magnetic, Nostradamus or Blooddrunk.

Leviathan
12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
New Wetnurse and Nachtmystium are epic.

Div
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
speaking of 2008 albums, i think i have my top 10 list pretty much solidified. even though i doubt that the majority of my albums will be included, or even heard, by anyone else here. im predicting another power metal fiasco, aided by votes from people who dont even post here.

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
speaking of 2008 albums, i think i have my top 10 list pretty much solidified. even though i doubt that the majority of my albums will be included, or even heard, by anyone else here. im predicting another power metal fiasco, aided by votes from people who dont even post here.

Power metal fiasco? You do realize there were only 2, maybe, if I'm feeling generous, 3 power metal-ish albums to make the top 10 last year?

I still don't understand why we do a year end poll. Absolutely no one goes home happy, and the amount of argueing destroys any peace and harmony on the board. Anyone wanna go back into the 2007 Voting/Results Threads and prove me wrong?

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Haha. And between your list and mine, there probably wont be many repeats. Its funny how diverse metal is.
morelike shitty
Power metal fiasco? You do realize there were only 2, maybe, if I'm feeling generous, 3 power metal-ish albums to make the top 10 last year?

I still don't understand why we do a year end poll. Absolutely no one goes home happy, and the amount of argueing destroys any peace and harmony on the board. Anyone wanna go back into the 2007 Voting/Results Threads and prove me wrong?

I enjoy the upsets. :D

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 04:56 PM
morelike shitty

I enjoy the upsets. :D

I admit, it is somewhat amusing to watch unfold. Unfortunately I usually end up in the eye of the storm, but that's basically my own fault I guess.

JRA
12-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I actually just looked through the 2007 voting results thread, my thoughts.

The biggest problem came from what I like to call "Sara-gate." Look, let's cut the whole "Wii listen 2 moar than jzt metol" bullshit for a second. I believe Brad, or whoever started this year end thing to begin with was to discuss our favorite metal albums of the year. Anything else and everything else goes in the honorary mentions department. If it was supposed to be a more diverse affair, I'm sure albums from other genres would have been offered up by other people here as well. If you want to accuse people of not being able to do otherwise, speak now or forever grab your crotch.

For those who choose to commit Sara-gate in the future, don't be surprised if Congress wants to impeach you. :money:

TonyD
12-10-2008, 05:39 PM

The biggest problem came from what I like to call "Sara-gate." Look, let's cut the whole "Wii listen 2 moar than jzt metol" bullshit for a second. I believe Brad, or whoever started this year end thing to begin with was to discuss our favorite metal albums of the year. Anything else and everything else goes in the honorary mentions department. If it was supposed to be a more diverse affair, I'm sure albums from other genres would have been offered up by other people here as well. If you want to accuse people of not being able to do otherwise, speak now or forever grab your crotch.

For those who choose to commit Sara-gate in the future, don't be surprised if Congress wants to impeach you. :money:

Thank you. If we don't put a stop to this, Katy Perry will be making the list above Opeth this year.

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry for having other interests guys. :dorky:

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Thank you kind sir. Good to see that, despite however much our lists will infinitely differ this year, we are at least coming from the same place mentaly.

b_halperin
12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
ive listened to 8 of these. Really good underground metal list!

Div
12-10-2008, 06:24 PM

a-fucking-men to that.

hell, atleast power metal is still metal, so i cant complain that much about it. but people should respect that this is a metal forum not a general music interest forum. if you want to have a top 10 list of your favorite albums thats ok, but the voting thread should be about your top 10 METAL picks. im already predicting this year to be skewed between CoS posting rap albums, brad posting weird indie shit and P85 posting lesbian punk rock. and i think in '06 i had to re-arrange my albums just to keep Underoath off there, what the fuck. and i know i voted for the Streetlight album last year, but at that point it didnt really matter anymore. we all know that everyone listens to different types of music, you dont need to prove it to anyone. the christmas season should be when we all put aside our differences and ring in the new year as militant metalheads.

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
a-fucking-men to that.

hell, atleast power metal is still metal, so i cant complain that much about it. but people should respect that this is a metal forum not a general music interest forum. if you want to have a top 10 list of your favorite albums thats ok, but the voting thread should be about your top 10 METAL picks. im already predicting this year to be skewed between CoS posting rap albums, brad posting weird indie shit and P85 posting lesbian punk rock. and i think in '06 i had to re-arrange my albums just to keep Underoath off there, what the fuck. and i know i voted for the Streetlight album last year, but at that point it didnt really matter anymore. we all know that everyone listens to different types of music, you dont need to prove it to anyone. the christmas season should be when we all put aside our differences and ring in the new year as militant metalheads.

:fist:

PS: Brad's gonna get sand in his vagina about this.

JRA
12-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you. If we don't put a stop to this, Katy Perry will be making the list above Opeth this year.

She has a hot ass.

DethMaiden
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
If this becomes a metal-only thing, I'm not going to run it anymore. Fuck that mindset.

mankvill
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Guys.

Guys.

GUYS.

I kissed a girl, and I liked it.

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
If this becomes a metal-only thing, I'm not going to run it anymore. Fuck that mindset.

I AM NOSTRADAMUS.

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't have ten fucking albums if it were just metal, you boring fucks.

edit: Don't mean to come off as angry, this week has been treating me like absolute shit and now every time I talk I sound pissed off.

powerslave_85
12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
For the record, I would just like to point out that there is not a single lesbian in any of the ten bands that made my list this year.

If the list changes to metal-only, my list is going to be pretty fucking short.

mankvill
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Ben Folds Ist Krieg

powerslave_85
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
PS- In terms of hotness, Katy Perry is just a poor man's Zooey Deschanel.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
For the record, only 30% of my top ten are rap albums.

Yeah, I was just as pissed that all that lame indie shot got really high last year too. But to say that only metal albums can be included is a little extreme. I can see where you are coming from, where people on here who are not entirely metal-minded may be diluting our results, but we are still a community that is pretty tightly-knit, and we are making this list for ourselves.

I doubt anyone else is going to be posting Nas, Immortal Technique, or The Game...so my digressions will go unnoticed. My second place is Amon Amarth, so far, so I forsee it taking the cake.

es156
12-10-2008, 09:13 PM

a-fucking-men to that.

I agree with both of these posts. Metal is what this site is all about. Pretty simple really.

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm proposing we have an official poll voting as to whether or not we should go all-Metal this year. It doesn't even have to be metal, I'd say heavy/hard rock can count also, but I doubt anyone will even have any of that.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I think Pavo should rule on this matter (as if it really matters.)

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm proposing we have an official poll voting as to whether or not we should go all-Metal this year. It doesn't even have to be metal, I'd say heavy/hard rock can count also, but I doubt anyone will even have any of that.

I can haz mai nikklebak?

Maiden33
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Fair enough.

I feel a poll is the right way to go here.

es156
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM

I wouldn't have ten fucking albums if it were just metal, you boring fucks.

edit: Don't mean to come off as angry, this week has been treating me like absolute shit and now every time I talk I sound pissed off.

You guys are missing the point. I think it was Ravenheart that pointed out recently that he appreciated the diversity here, and I totally agree with him. But the year end top 10 list on MetalSetLists should be metal.

es156
12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I kissed a girl, and I liked it.

Well it's about time.

;)

es156
12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
For the record, I would just like to point out that there is not a single lesbian in any of the ten bands that made my list this year.

Quote of the year?

:lol:

JRA
12-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Well it's about time.

;)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/InSurfWeTrust17/PWNED.jpg

and it's been way too fucking long.

TonyD
12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I AM NOSTRADAMUS.

Now that's the right mindset.

It's not the metal-only thing that bothers me. It's the fact that people were patting themselves on the back for voting for a non-metal album. I'm not gonna get into it about how Death Is This Communion is a better piece of music than The Con, but I'll be interested to see how the two are remembered 10 to 15 years from now.

TonyD
12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
For the record, only 30% of my top ten are rap albums.

Unless The Game has made any serious changes in his music, I don't think that anything he puts out is worth while.

Div
12-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Now that's the right mindset.

It's not the metal-only thing that bothers me. It's the fact that people were patting themselves on the back for voting for a non-metal album. I'm not gonna get into it about how Death Is This Communion is a better piece of music than The Con, but I'll be interested to see how the two are remembered 10 to 15 years from now.

Yea I noticed that too, people seemed to be trying to act unique and non-conformist here by posting non metal albums.

"im so metal that i dont listen to metal"

Maiden33
12-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Yea I noticed that too, people seemed to be trying to act unique and non-conformist here by posting non metal albums.

"im so metal that i dont listen to metal"

Exactly. I went back and viewed the 2007 voting and results threads for amusement last night. It was pathetic.

powerslave_85
12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
but people should respect that this is a metal forum not a general music interest forum. .

I agree with both of these posts. Metal is what this site is all about. Pretty simple really.Totally. We should stop talking about anything non-metal related. Let's get rid of the movie and video game sub-forums, and the Now Reading thread. None of that stuff has anything to do with metal, right? No more politics either. With any luck, we can get rid of everything fun and interesting.

:tp:

es156
12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Totally. We should stop talking about anything non-metal related. Let's get rid of the movie and video game sub-forums, and the Now Reading thread. None of that stuff has anything to do with metal, right? No more politics either. With any luck, we can get rid of everything fun and interesting.

:tp:

No, you are still missing the point. The posts you quoted are only referring to the year end poll, not the site in general. We aren't trying to change the site or any of the forums.

powerslave_85
12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Fine, but if you look at the number of threads and amount of discussion about metal vs. non-metal subjects, I think it's pretty clear that this site has evolved over the years from a metal forum to more of a general interest forum with a slant towards metal, so I don't think it's necessary to make the poll "metal-only." That's how I see it, anyways.

I think that the non-metal stuff that pops up on people's lists (if any) is more interesting and more indicative of what that person is all about. If everyone's lists has a lot of the same stuff on it, it's boring. Sure, there are a few people who throw a wrench in the gears, like Maiden33, but otherwise it's pretty homogenous, even when you count the non-metal stuff.

mankvill
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Just give Deicide the album of the year.

Div
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
If everyone's lists has a lot of the same stuff on it, it's boring.

like teagan and sara, right?

powerslave_85
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
like teagan and sara, right?
Right. Three people = everyone.

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Unless The Game has made any serious changes in his music, I don't think that anything he puts out is worth while.

I've only heard his new one...and I like it. I dont know how much clout I have when it comes to influencing peoples music tastes.

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Just give Deicide the album of the year.

I'd rather stick a knife down my urethra.

mankvill
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I'd rather stick a knife down my urethra.

That ain't fun

believe me

:eyes: