PDA

View Full Version : iPod Questions

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, I do not have an iPod and know very little about them.

Any recommendation on which to get? What size? Does it have to be an Apple brand?

How does one get the music from their CD's to the iPod? Can you choose certain songs or is it the whole CD? Does that cost $$$?
Is high speed internet needed?

Can you download individual songs? From where? How much?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I recommend the relatively new-ish iPod Classic. It comes in both 80 GB and 160 GB, and plays video as well as music. Download iTunes. It is free, and so is importing CDs. High speed internet isn't necessary but couldn't hurt. You can download individual songs straight from the iTunes store for $1 each.

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
To avoid overspending, I'd say that 80GB is probably more than enough unless your music collection is extremely insanely large and/or your decide to rip CD's at like 5000kbps.

Edit: Also if you want to look into other brands that aren't Apple, Creative has a pretty damn good line of mp3 players available. Other than that Brad pretty much nailed it.

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
To avoid overspending, I'd say that 80GB is probably more than enough unless your music collection is extremely insanely large and/or your decide to rip CD's at like 5000kbps.

Edit: Also if you want to look into other brands that aren't Apple, Creative has a pretty damn good line of mp3 players available. Other than that Brad pretty much nailed it.

Yeah, I have an 80 and even with like 8 hours of video and countless weeks of music am well under 40 used. I'll go to a 160 after college probably.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Why not an iPod nano?

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Why not an iPod nano?

Eh. That's very little room. My brother has one and even his modestly sized music collection won't fit.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Eh. That's very little room. My brother has one and even his modestly sized music collection won't fit.Don't they hold like 16GB? Few thousand songs or something like that?

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't they hold like 16GB? Few thousand songs or something like that?

He has a 4, I wasn't aware of a 16.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
He has a 4, I wasn't aware of a 16.I saw them at Walmart for $199 for 16GB.

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I saw them at Walmart for $199 for 16GB.

80 GB is $250. That seems the more logical choice to me.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
80 GB is $250. That seems the more logical choice to me.
All I'm finding on the "new" iPOd classic is 120GB for $249. Now that seems logical!

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 01:44 PM
All I'm finding on the "new" iPOd classic is 120GB for $249. Now that seems logical!

Wow, that's newer than mine and an EXCELLENT deal. Sheesh. You're best off there I think.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, that's newer than mine and an EXCELLENT deal. Sheesh. You're best off there I think.Yeah, I'll look into it! I just hate to buy something that will be obsolete soon! I'm not sure iPods are going to be the "thing" for music for very long. I'm pretty sure some type of combo phone/iPod/whatever else is in the works if it's not already out there!

mankvill
11-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Zune. :D

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Zune. :D:confused:

rjturtle9
11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I'll look into it! I just hate to buy something that will be obsolete soon! I'm not sure iPods are going to be the "thing" for music for very long. I'm pretty sure some type of combo phone/iPod/whatever else is in the works if it's not already out there!

u mean the iphone

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
iPhones suck, so I don't really see normal music players going out. Traditionally, things that also play music have never been able to defeat devices with the sole purpose of playing music.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
iPhones suck, so I don't really see normal music players going out. Traditionally, things that also play music have never been able to defeat devices with the sole purpose of playing music.Like CD players? iPods dont just play music from what I understand.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
u mean the iphoneWell sort of. I mean a phone that will have interchangeable things you insert in it to make it do different sorts of things. A friend of mine who is in the know was telling me about it.

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Like CD players? iPods dont just play music from what I understand.

:dorky: Who wants to watch videos on that screen? :tongue:

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
:dorky: Who wants to watch videos on that screen? :tongue:

Yeah, it's not ideal. But on loooooooooooooooooooong car rides to Tennessee, having the Incredible Hulk will be nice.:D

JRA
11-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Fuck iPod's. Do what he says.

Div
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
as far as phones go, i have the LG Dare which is basically an iPhone, u can buy microSD cards to upgrade the memory. mine currently has 4gb, which is enough for a decent amount of music, and you can put video on it too, once you convert the video files into mp4 format they are pretty small in size. this way u just have to carry a phone around and not a bunch of different gadgets in your pockets, which is why i like it.

DethMaiden
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Fuck iPod's. Do what he says.

O NOES CONSUMERISM LOL

JRA
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
O NOES CONSUMERISM LOL

It's not about consumerism, it is about a device which is unreliable (and I've been through several of them might I add). Let me put it this way Fe Maiden, if you're gonna get an iPod, plan on replacing it in a year.

Fe Maiden
11-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Edit: Also if you want to look into other brands that aren't Apple, Creative has a pretty damn good line of mp3 players available.That's what a co-worker recommended as well. I think he said they were called Zen or something like that.

ravenheart
11-25-2008, 08:26 AM
This is the biggest problem with the portable digital music market. No one even knows what the competitors are called. They just go with iPod because it's what they're told about. Which would be fine if it were a decent piece of kit, but it isn't.

Creative's Zen is huge. It's been around for years. Maybe even longer than iPod.

Div
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
my problem with apple is theyre so pretentious, and they tend to infect their customers with that pretentiousness. from the minute you walk into their modern gray and white store in the mall until youre speaking with one of their sales reps who are given the title "Genius" (which is even more pretentious than subway's "sandwich artist") apple is trying to make you believe that the only way youll be cool is if you rock their products. they try to sell you overpriced computers that are useless unless you're a graphic artist, mp3 players that have awkward controls, and telephones that charge you out the ass for just looking at it. and once you walk out of the store with a new 3G they cheer you on like you've just been accepted to a fraternity. look at the commercials "im a pc/im a mac" and youll see. if those commercials were accurate the mac would be a skinny metrosexual drinking starbucks with trendy thick frame glasses, and the pc would be this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObjrIda_VY

apple isnt selling you a product, theyre selling you a lifestyle.

mankvill
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
My first MP3 player was a Creative Zen Micro. Definitely not as fancy as an iPod (it didn't have full color screen or artwork or videos or anything like that) but it served its purpose well!

But I have a Zune now and they're so good. :D

DethMaiden
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
my problem with apple is theyre so pretentious, and they tend to infect their customers with that pretentiousness. from the minute you walk into their modern gray and white store in the mall until youre speaking with one of their sales reps who are given the title "Genius" (which is even more pretentious than subway's "sandwich artist") apple is trying to make you believe that the only way youll be cool is if you rock their products. they try to sell you overpriced computers that are useless unless you're a graphic artist, mp3 players that have awkward controls, and telephones that charge you out the ass for just looking at it. and once you walk out of the store with a new 3G they cheer you on like you've just been accepted to a fraternity. look at the commercials "im a pc/im a mac" and youll see. if those commercials were accurate the mac would be a skinny metrosexual drinking starbucks with trendy thick frame glasses, and the pc would be this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObjrIda_VY

This may be true but I'm not cynical enough to care. It's a damn good product.

ChildrenofSodom
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Although I have an iPod, I have to say you are spot on. I will probably end up with a Mac for college, but I wholeheartedly agree with you here. People who dont see the disgusting mental manipulation in selling a lifestyle are either ignorant, or want to deny the facts because they like iPod.

Kinda like how smokers are quick to ignore the fact that smoking is bad for you. Or the fact that drinkers are quick to ignore the fact that drinking destroys your body and makes you lose control. Or potheads who are quick to deny any negative effects.

SomewhereInTime72
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Although I have an iPod, I have to say you are spot on. I will probably end up with a Mac for college, but I wholeheartedly agree with you here. People who dont see the disgusting mental manipulation in selling a lifestyle are either ignorant, or want to deny the facts because they like iPod.
NOOOOOOO whyyyyyy? Macs are so overpriced, save yourself the money! :(

Kinda like how smokers are quick to ignore the fact that smoking is bad for you. Or the fact that drinkers are quick to ignore the fact that drinking destroys your body and makes you lose control. Or potheads who are quick to deny any negative effects.

Shut the fuck up none of those things are real.

rjturtle9
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
iPhones suck, so I don't really see normal music players going out. Traditionally, things that also play music have never been able to defeat devices with the sole purpose of playing music.

yeah i don't like iphones either. just mentioned them ;)

but about the whole lifestyle thing, i don't know about that. i only have an ipod, and i' just fine with only that.

and yes, macs are useless unless u are into video works and crap.

TonyD
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
It's not about consumerism, it is about a device which is unreliable (and I've been through several of them might I add). Let me put it this way Fe Maiden, if you're gonna get an iPod, plan on replacing it in a year.

I've had mine for over 3 years now, and it shits out every once in a while. You have to open up the case, disconnect the battery and hard drive, and put it back together. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Also, even though they don't hold as much music, the Nano uses flash memory instead of a hard drive, so it's near impossible to break.

The reason that there are still people that hate the iPod is because of the whole Apple-ism mentioned already. I agree that it's fucking stupid, but anyone who says the Microsoft based mp3 players are better is in denial of the fact that the iPod is a better product. I can't say the same for their computers though, because they are so overpriced.

Fe Maiden
11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I've had mine for over 3 years now, and it shits out every once in a while. You have to open up the case, disconnect the battery and hard drive, and put it back together. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Also, even though they don't hold as much music, the Nano uses flash memory instead of a hard drive, so it's near impossible to break.

The reason that there are still people that hate the iPod is because of the whole Apple-ism mentioned already. I agree that it's fucking stupid, but anyone who says the Microsoft based mp3 players are better is in denial of the fact that the iPod is a better product. I can't say the same for their computers though, because they are so overpriced.What about the Creative Zen X-Fi? It looks to be a pretty solid product.

(sic)&disturbed
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I have an 8gb Nano and I like it alot. If they had an 80gb in the size of a Nano I would have bought that! Not sure about any other I have a 3rd generation nano and am happy with it.

DethMaiden
11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Every product has a target audience. Apple is no guiltier than any other corporation. In fact, they're less guilty in things that actually matter like the environment and the advancement of technology. Being guilty of being "hip" is really not that big a crime, is it?

Div
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
you're asking that question to a bunch of metalheads, what answer do you expect to get? :tongue:

apple is just as guilty as any other major corporation for absuive behavior and general douchebaggery. they sue just about anyone and everyone. for example, a recent case involved them suing a college in canada because they have a similar (but completely different) apple as a logo for their school. dont be fooled. the only reason they put out the gay rights and environmentalist PR is to cator to their target audience, which is mostly college age liberals. if their target audience was someone else you'd bet they would pander on their emotions too.

-----
anyway, continuing on my last post. if someone just owns an ipod you obviously dont fall into the apple cocksucker category i was referring to. and maybe if apple took the training wheels off their computers, got rid of that horrible mouse design, made osx compatible with games, and made it so u can actually work on the computer yourself i wouldnt think so little of them. oh and also stop charging, in some cases, double for hardware configurations just because it comes in a nice shiney white case and has the apple logo on it. its a prestige thing.

cameron, id seriously look into other computers, im assuming laptops, before you just give your money to apple. the only notebook they have that stands out is the macbook air, and that doesnt have a cdrom drive so no music for you. if youre looking for just a general use computer to do work on and bring to class every now and then there are hundreds of cheaper alternatives.

ChildrenofSodom
11-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd have to wait to find out which college I'm going to, because certain ones may call for certain features.

But yeah...there is definetely that sense of 'you should buy this or else you won't be cool' to their products. Their commercials feature a young, hip kid against an older, fat, business type guy. C'mon...how blatant can you be? I loved Windows's response to that, with the 'I'm a PC'.

Also the fact that all the artsy fartsy kids use Macs should be reason enough for me to think it is smug and pretentious. For my line of work, I'll need to be able to browse the internet, use email, and type up documents. Maybe even listen to some music. And I'd like to be able to see the icons to do those things.

Sinfulsot
11-28-2008, 10:13 PM

this is so true on so many levels. especially the converted as i like to refer to them as the Cult of Mac. However, my next puter purchase just might be a Mac of some sort. And there is still the Linux box i want to do, but have yet to get started on...