PDA

View Full Version : Symphony X -- Worcester, MA -- November 19th, 2008

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
This time, it was the upstairs room at the Palladium, which is a lot smaller, and thus more intimate. the sound was a little better, but not really. again, it comes down to the vocals, which were all too often in and out.

I got a look at the actual setlist, buit i had to make it quick because it was in the hands of a drunk fan and Inferno and Set the World on Fire might be switched. My apologies in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Oculus Ex Inferni
edit Eve of Seduction
Evolution
Inferno
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Church of the Machine
King of Terrors
Smoke and Mirrors
Revelation
---
Set the World on Fire
Domination
Of Sins and Shadows

Source: Attendance

Maiden33
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Evolution
Church of the Machine
King of Terrors

:party:
Always good to see some different stuff in there. I've already seen Evolution and King but I'll gladly see them again.

My only real complaint is that this set is just TOO short. I did the math, it comes out to like 80 minutes. Could use a few more short ones (Out of the Ashes, Eve of Seduction) or just a long one or two (The Odyssey, Through the Looking Glass, Communion and the Oracle). Not bad though, I'm still very excited about seeing them in NY tomorrow (tonight).

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
set times (approx): 9:24 - 10:16. and that doesn't include the encore.

Maiden33
11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
set times (approx): 9:24 - 10:16. and that doesn't include the encore.

So basically I was almost dead on with my estimate. The encore would've been about 20 minutes long.

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
It didn't feel like 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if it was short because they were doing a few "in the neighborhood shows before the holidaze and thus wanted to give the fans a little something, but ***not too much***, because you know, ya gotta keep
'em a little hungry if you want 'em coming back for more, or if Worcester just has some sort of curfew in place during the week.

Maiden33
11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
It didn't feel like 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if it was short because they were doing a few "in the neighborhood shows before the holidaze and thus wanted to give the fans a little something, but ***not too much***, because you know, ya gotta keep
'em a little hungry if you want 'em coming back for more, or if Worcester just has some sort of curfew in place during the week.

Well I'm just using the fact that all 3 of those songs are 6 minutes-ish long. I figured a curfew might be at play here, because every other time I've seen them the set was about 95 minutes dead on. I'm hoping for more, but I'm definitely not going to bed upset if there's not more. We have a fucking fantastic support act tomorrow night so I have that to look forward to as well.

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
I also posted the set list at ultimate metal forum and i was informed at that site that i forgot Eve of Seduction.

I edited my initial post to reflect that.

if it's who i think it is, it was this rather hot blond girl.

Maiden33
11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I also posted the set list at ultimate metal forum and i was informed at that site that i forgot Eve of Seduction.

EXCELLENT. Eve of Seduction is a fantastic song.

Who is a rather hot blond girl?

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Well I'm just using the fact that all 3 of those songs are 6 minutes-ish long. I figured a curfew might be at play here, because every other time I've seen them the set was about 95 minutes dead on. I'm hoping for more, but I'm definitely not going to bed upset if there's not more. We have a fucking fantastic support act tomorrow night so I have that to look forward to as well.

I hear ya. i hope you do get more.

JuuKun
11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know anything about a curfew in Worcester, so I highly doubt that was the case.

How was the attendance? I was supposed to go to this but ended up not being able to secure transportation. I really wish I had been there, though, I think seeing Symphony X in the upstairs would have ruled.

maidenpriest
11-20-2008, 06:04 PM
why couldnt i get these more variety sets for phoenix? by the time they got to AZ second time around they took out Egypt and TTLG. and ive still never seen anything off of V... would love to see Church of the Machine and King of Terrors

Sinfulsot
11-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't know anything about a curfew in Worcester, so I highly doubt that was the case.

How was the attendance? I was supposed to go to this but ended up not being able to secure transportation. I really wish I had been there, though, I think seeing Symphony X in the upstairs would have ruled.

curfew: it is more speculation than anything. which leads me to believe, the short(er) set was more about a quickie for the fans for the taste before they settle in to record the next. or whatever their plan(s).

venue: it was rather tightly packed in there. during the encore there were two assholes that had to cause trouble. i think they knew each other. asshole #1 had to manoeuvre in front of me and pulled the hair of asshole #2 which more or less tossed him into a bunch of people and asshole #2 took that to mean its slam dance time, but thankfully he kept it short. and no slam dance takers either. also thankfully.

Russell Allen made mention of the intimacy of the upstairs room. but he turned it into being about the weather. "it gets cold in the northeast. and you guys like to be close. sweating on each other like true metal fans".

Maiden33
11-21-2008, 12:42 AM
curfew: it is more speculation than anything. which leads me to believe, the short(er) set was more about a quickie for the fans for the taste before they settle in to record the next. or whatever their plan(s).

venue: it was rather tightly packed in there. during the encore there were two assholes that had to cause trouble. i think they knew each other. asshole #1 had to manoeuvre in front of me and pulled the hair of asshole #2 which more or less tossed him into a bunch of people and asshole #2 took that to mean its slam dance time, but thankfully he kept it short. and no slam dance takers either. also thankfully.

Russell Allen made mention of the intimacy of the upstairs room. but he turned it into being about the weather. "it gets cold in the northeast. and you guys like to be close. sweating on each other like true metal fans".

I doubt it was either a curfew or a conscious decision to play a shortened set. Symphony X just generally doesn't play very long, only about 90 minutes. People freak out when they see only 12 songs, but when you account for most of those being 6-7 minutes, it's a lot longer than it seems.

Akumu
11-21-2008, 02:10 PM

haha, no. xD Sorry to disappoint you. Where were you in the venue, btw?

I doubt it was either a curfew or a conscious decision to play a shortened set. Symphony X just generally doesn't play very long, only about 90 minutes. People freak out when they see only 12 songs, but when you account for most of those being 6-7 minutes, it's a lot longer than it seems.

Mmm. I know they played for 90 minutes, but it just seemed to go by really quickly. Their Hartford gig in April was like that, too.

(Also, hi. I lurked here for a while and finally decided to register. -wave-)

SomewhereInTime72
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Mmm. I know they played for 90 minutes, but it just seemed to go by really quickly. Their Hartford gig in April was like that, too.

(Also, hi. I lurked here for a while and finally decided to register. -wave-)

Welcome to Metalsetlists! :D

kenpierce
11-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I caught Symphony X at Mulcahy's in Wantaugh, NY last night (11/20/08) and the set list was exactly the same as the one from Worshester, MA that was posted. Guessing those who attend the Starland Ballroom show in Sayreville, NJ tonight will see the same thing. Great show just the same, a very tight band and personable Russell Allen. They went on just after 10pm and finished shortly after 11:30. It was not sold out but there was a nice crowd.

Horns up,

KP, Editor
www.piercingmetal.com

Sinfulsot
11-21-2008, 09:34 PM

and thus, it is confirmed: it was not who i thought. not that i'm disappointed. Were there more than two lists the sound guy handed out? i was mainly opposite the bar for the set.

Sinfulsot
11-21-2008, 09:38 PM
oh, and i was amused with Russell Allen getting blasted by the smoke machine, the "sudden" coughing fit that led to "i told the doctor i would quit", pantomiming a loud toke, "but i can't". of course, there was how he said it along with the whole taking a toke gesture, which if i kept explaining would suddenly lose any funniness.....

Akumu
11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
and thus, it is confirmed: it was not who i thought. not that i'm disappointed. Were there more than two lists the sound guy handed out? i was mainly opposite the bar for the set.

I'm not sure. I know that the people to the right of me just tore the setlist off the stage. I waited at my spot for a few seconds after the band left; it looked like the sound guy came out with a setlist from backstage, and that was the one I got. -shrug-

Russell's jokes were hilarious. I loved the smoking gag, haha. And the "TRUE METALHEADS SWEATING ON EACH OTHER"... yeah, he was looking right at me when he said that, haha. Good tiiiiimes.