PDA

View Full Version : I'm more comfortable interacting with new people on message boards...

JRA
11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
...than I am interacting with new people in real life.

Discuss.

SomewhereInTime72
11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

:(

Maiden33
11-19-2008, 06:41 PM
It's oddly coincidental that this came up now... while I am having a wall-to-wall Facebook conversation with someone that is longer than every in-person conversation I had with them cumilatively through all our years of going to school together.
I chalk it up to this:
I'm a person who is pretty sure of my words. I don't say too much stuff I later regret or don't mean, I am a confident public speaker, etc, etc. I think it has a lot more to do with my physical insecurities, feeling as though I am being overly judged visually when I am talking to someone in person, as opposed to behind a computer.

mankvill
11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/quadlaser4/daxflame.jpg

no but seriously, I see where you're coming from. :(

It's so much easier to talk online.

ADD
11-19-2008, 07:13 PM
You need help with conversing? Just consult the big guy.....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/lil_esco/Old_english_800_picture.jpg

JRA
11-19-2008, 07:22 PM
You need help with conversing? Just consult the big guy.....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/lil_esco/Old_english_800_picture.jpg

Should I also contact Eazy-E, MC-Ren and DJ Yella?

Sinfulsot
11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I would just rather not deal with people if at all possible, but because man is a social animal, it cannot be helped. however, the time i've spent at the dog park has greatly increased my own social skills.

SomewhereInTime72
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I used to be horrible at socializing (with strangers), but I've gotten pretty good at it. Good things happen to you if you work like that!

ravenheart
11-20-2008, 12:46 AM
This is an easy one to answer. Typing at people has natural pauses. You aren't having to maintain a proper conversation. And you can, if need be, say a whole bunch of stuff uninterrupted. Especially on a message board or by email.

Little bit different on something like MSN, but even there you each have to wait for the other to finish typing. I've talked to people on MSN for hours before... but when you look at what we've said, it would take about 1 face-to-face.

Maiden33
11-20-2008, 04:07 AM
This is an easy one to answer. Typing at people has natural pauses. You aren't having to maintain a proper conversation. And you can, if need be, say a whole bunch of stuff uninterrupted. Especially on a message board or by email.

Little bit different on something like MSN, but even there you each have to wait for the other to finish typing. I've talked to people on MSN for hours before... but when you look at what we've said, it would take about 1 face-to-face.

Yeah I've always realized this. I have a friend whom I don't get to see in person much at all anymore, and her and I will talk on AIM until like 3am, but in reality if we were talking person the conversation would've lasted about 90 minutes instead of 5 hours.

DethMaiden
11-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Online socialization is very easy, but in-person socialization can't be ignored because of that.

Maiden33
11-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Online socialization is very easy, but in-person socialization can't be ignored because of that.

Brilliant take, Dr. Sanders. :D

Div
11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
the fuck do you have to be uncomfortable about? do you not live up to other peoples social expectations of you? fuck them! dont let them bring you down man, the vast majority of the population are tools, theyre the ones who should be uncomfortable.

SomewhereInTime72
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
the fuck do you have to be uncomfortable about? do you not live up to other peoples social expectations of you? fuck them! dont let them bring you down man, the vast majority of the population are tools, theyre the ones who should be uncomfortable.

http://www.kappo.com/gallery/funny/moms_minivan.jpg

Div
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
thats not really what i was getting at...

DethMaiden
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
On the topic (kinda), am I the only one who thinks phone conversations are stupid as fuck? I would so much rather talk to a person in person or in text. The voice without the face is very disconcerting and awkward.

Div
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
what about when someone texts your phone as if you were on IM.

"hey whats up?"
or
"can i ask you a question?"

SomewhereInTime72
11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
On the topic (kinda), am I the only one who thinks phone conversations are stupid as fuck? I would so much rather talk to a person in person or in text. The voice without the face is very disconcerting and awkward.

Used to think like this until like a year ago. But there's something 100% more personal about a phone conversation with (certain) people than a IM conversation.
what about when someone texts your phone as if you were on IM.

"hey whats up?"
or
"can i ask you a question?"

I hate this. Yes you can ask me a question. Isn't the whole point of texting to pretty much forgo standard conversation and just quickly relay info? It sucks.

DethMaiden
11-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Used to think like this until like a year ago. But there's something 100% more personal about a phone conversation with (certain) people than a IM conversation.

I hate this. Yes you can ask me a question. Isn't the whole point of texting to pretty much forgo standard conversation and just quickly relay info? It sucks.

I dunno. Maybe a call that is done in order to meet somewhere and have the same conversation would be preferable. I'm all about in person, but phone calls are meh.

And my phone screen has been broken for almost two months now, so I don't have to deal with texts.

Div
11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
id rather talk on the phone because its annoying to type on the keypad, even though my phone has qwerty and handwriting recognition, its just much easier to talk to people. plus with text you can never hear their tone of voice so you dont always interpret what they are saying correctly. "fuck you" can go several different ways depending how you read it in your mind.

ChildrenofSodom
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
plus with text you can never hear their tone of voice so you dont always interpret what they are saying correctly. "fuck you" can go several different ways depending how you read it in your mind.

Exhibit A: Metalsetlists.com

Sinfulsot
11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
phone vs. text: i'd much rather have a conversation on the phone than in text/IM format. while it's a disembodied voice, you are at least getting tone of voice as part of the non-verbal cues from the other person.

then again, i don't text via cel at all, and i haven't used an IM application in several years now.

but in general, i hate the phone, like when i was werking in a more corporate setting in manhat. otherwise, face to face is often preferred over the phone, such as with the wife calls to say she's on her way home or to coordinate the next meal and she wants to tell me the something funny that happened at her job. I stop her every time: "tell me when i see you, I spent enough time with you on the phone". Our early relationship was long distance and thus a lot of time spent on the telephone. "i didn't move and marry you so you can tell me shit on the phone."