PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

TonyD
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Since I'm not always "in the loop", I just found out that a new Star Trek movie is coming out. I've always been a Star Wars fan and I've never seen any of the older Star Trek movies, but I'm curious how this one will compare. So basically, how pissed off will the Trekkies be about this one?

Link to the trailer
(http://www.empireonline.com/video/star-trek-trailer/startrektrailer_normal.asp)

Wrathchild_84
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
First time I've seen that trailer, and I'm not very happy. I want a DS9 movie already.

Sinfulsot
11-18-2008, 08:01 AM
First time I've seen that trailer, and I'm not very happy. I want a DS9 movie already.

after the travesty that was Nemesis, that didn't seem very likely. be that as it may, i'd much rather a DS9 movie with jadzia dax vs ezri dax.

this "reboot" as they are calling it, could be promising. i'm digging Zachary Quinto as young Spock, but Simon Pegg better do Scotty justice.

TonyD
11-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Lets see if Simon Pegg in Star Trek can match Samuel L. Jackson in Star Wars

Div
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
im not really a trekkie but i did enjoy watching Next Generation, and if you can overlook the cheesiness the original series was good too, havent seen all the movies so i really cant comment on how it will live up to the rest.

Sinfulsot
11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
i started with next generation as well. DS9 was really good. Voyager would be hit or miss. i liked enterprise's characters, but i had a nerd meltdown regarding the klingons: if enterprise is set before Kirk's enterprise, the klingons should not have the mega brow. my wife intervened as the voice of reason, i got passed it and let it go. then they encountered the borg, and that was that, i stopped watching. then it got cancelled.

the only thing that came out of Enterprise that i thought was of value is "subservient quadraped" referring to humans' inclination to have pets, apparently the only species in the universe to do so.

but as hard of a trekkie i was, Babylon 5 came along and was so much better than all of the treks. well, DS9 comes close, but there is still that trek sterility inherent in the show despite the content and the various story arcs that made DS9 so good.

hot_turkey_ed
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not happy with some of the images I'm seeing floating around. :2cents:

Sinfulsot
11-22-2008, 05:40 AM
star trek continuity errors (http://filmchatblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/star-trek-continuity-errors-galore.html)

Div
05-08-2009, 05:26 PM
'twas alright

its really impossible to complain about it, everything was done well. My only complaint is JJ Abrams typical confusing plot bullshit.

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I really liked it.

Div
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
this sums up the same way i felt pretty accurately

http://blip.tv/file/2089361

JRA
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
this sums up the same way i felt pretty accurately

http://blip.tv/file/2089361

Fuck that was quick.

Div
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
i was suprised too, i havent checked that site in months

Natrlhi
05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I liked it quite a bit. Sure, I have a few little nitpicks, but by far nothing that ruins the movie for me as I'm sure some of the hard-core Trekkies will (when it comes to Trekkies or LOTR geeks, I am reminded of Rule #62, which is: Don't take yourself so damn seriously.)

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just talk about a few general points briefly:

I liked the subtle details, like old-school sound effects which re-created the ambiance of the original series.
I liked the actor they picked to play Bones - he was a real smartass. :D
I also liked the actor they picked to play Kirk. He was tough to like at first, but he grew on me as the film progressed. I think he has the overall look down pretty well.
I REALLY liked Quinto as the new face of Spock. He took one of Trek's most beloved characters and did it some real justice - nicely done! :party:
The actors they got to play Scottie, Chekov and Sulu were OK, but somewhat forgettable. Simon Pegg might work out well as Scottie - we'll see.
I liked how they resurrected some of the classic Trek one-liners...especially in McCoy's case.
The movie had a decent villain. All sci-fi movies have to have a really good villain, and Bana was pretty OK as Nero. I've seen better, but this one was at least satisfactory.
The special effects were huge, as we probably all expected. Overall, that was a pretty good thing. I thought it gave the movie a bit of a Deep Space 9 feel.
Zoe Saldana is fucking HOT. :naughty:

Nat :horns:

Sinfulsot
05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
If you watch Fringe, the second to last episode has Clint Howard as a crazy recluse conspiracy theorist "spoil" the basic plot to the movie.

DethMaiden
05-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I'll be seeing it tonight. Fortunately, I am not a Trekkie and have no expectations! Watchmen and Wolverine broke my comics-loving heart, but this cannot make me disappointed no matter what. :D

DethMaiden
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
It was fucking awesome.

HandOfDoom
05-17-2009, 05:14 AM
One thing that kinda pisses me off in this movie is the camera, all those close ups make me sick man, otherwise 8/10 for me.

powerslave_85
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I'll be seeing it tonight. Fortunately, I am not a Trekkie and have no expectations! Watchmen and Wolverine broke my comics-loving heart, but this cannot make me disappointed no matter what. :DYeah, it was nice to be able to go into a movie like this with no bias or reason to nitpick. I thought it was awesome, a very fun movie.

overkiller
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Absolutely AWESOME. All the oldschool references were well executed and not forced, and it's just a great action/sci-fi movie in its own right.

My only complaint was the relative weakness of the villain Nero. After seeing it a second time and thinking about it, my complaint still stands, BUT, on the other hand, it may have actually been a rather wise choice on the filmmakers' parts--this movie is NOT about the villain (as is, say, Wrath of Khan), it's about the crew of the Enterprise, and so it's logical that not much focus or complicated background is placed on Nero. Edit: of course, the whole time-travel thing is somewhat complex, but Nero's motives for being a super-evil-tattooed-dude are very, very basic.

Maidenmagic
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Not the best Trek film like the papers have been saying. Lacks a message. Klingon warbird? It's a bird of prey! Chris pine plays Kirk like a jerk. Better than final frontier.

overkiller
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Chris pine plays Kirk like a jerk.

Shatner didn't? Haha