PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow

Fe Maiden
11-15-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm sure there are some Rainbow fans here!

What are your favorite Rainbow songs and why?

Myself, I like Stargazer mainly due to the vocals of RJD and Stone Cold just has a very sweet guitar solo.

Maiden33
11-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I'll do for both the Dio and Joe Lynn Turner eras:

Dio:
Temple of the King, Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Long Live Rock and Roll, Lady of the Lake, Gates of Babylon, and Kill the King.

JLT:
I Surrender, Death Alley Driver, Stone Cold, Bring on the Night, Fool For the Night, Fire Dance, Street of Dreams

The Stranger in Us All "reunion" album with Doogie White from 1995 is definitely worth checking out.

Even though Dio's work was the more seminal and influencial "metal" stuff, possibly even what I'd call the first power metal works out there, I really really enjoy the Joe Lynn Turner stuff. Mostly because of JLT's voice (helluva nice guy too), but those albums really helped lay the groundwork for the melodic hard rock genre I also really enjoy.

SomewhereInTime72
11-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Catch the Rainbow.

So awesome.

Fe Maiden
11-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I'll do for both the Dio and Joe Lynn Turner eras:

Dio:
Temple of the King, Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Long Live Rock and Roll, Lady of the Lake, Gates of Babylon, and Kill the King.

JLT:
I Surrender, Death Alley Driver, Stone Cold, Bring on the Night, Fool For the Night, Fire Dance, Street of Dreams

The Stranger in Us All "reunion" album with Doogie White from 1995 is definitely worth checking out.

Even though Dio's work was the more seminal and influencial "metal" stuff, possibly even what I'd call the first power metal works out there, I really really enjoy the Joe Lynn Turner stuff. Mostly because of JLT's voice (helluva nice guy too), but those albums really helped lay the groundwork for the melodic hard rock genre I also really enjoy.Who was the singer in between RJD and JLT. His name slips me at the moment but he did some good songs too as I recall.

Edit: It just came to me---Graham Bonnet---Any songs of his you like?

DethMaiden
11-15-2008, 10:23 AM
WHERE IS YOUR STAR? IS IT FAR? IS IT FAR? IS IT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR?

JRA
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I'll tell you watch Rainbow song does not rule, and that's "If You Don't Like Rock & Roll." :hecho:

It's a good thing Dio went on to have a successful solo career, other wise Rainbow would be even less remembered than it is now!

Div
11-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I have one album and ive been trying to download their first, but my internet is so shitty that i started back in september and im still only at 80%

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Dio:

to that I'll add A Light in the Black, Man on the Silver Mountain and Catch the Rainbow.

and I happen to like If you don't like Rock & Roll. :hecho:

as far as JLT: I like Street of Deams, Stone Cold and I Surrender.

Maiden33
11-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Who was the singer in between RJD and JLT. His name slips me at the moment but he did some good songs too as I recall.

Edit: It just came to me---Graham Bonnet---Any songs of his you like?

Meh, I've never been a big Graham Bonnet fan, mainly his work with Rainbow. The Alcatrazz and Impelliteri stuff he did is pretty solid though.

ravenheart
11-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I can't stand the Bonnet stuff. Or most of the JLT stuff, all told.

Actually, I don't rate Rising too highly either, despite being a massive RJD fan.

It's all about Long Live Rock & Roll, Stranger In Us All and, actually, Bent Out of Shape. That's a great album.

ChildrenofSodom
11-16-2008, 07:34 AM
I'll tell you watch Rainbow song does not rule, and that's "If You Don't Like Rock & Roll." :hecho:

It's a good thing Dio went on to have a successful solo career, other wise Rainbow would be even less remembered than it is now!

It too late now.

I've only heard the two Dio albums, and my favorite is probably Temple of the King.

Maiden33
11-16-2008, 08:09 AM
It too late now.

I've only heard the two Dio albums, and my favorite is probably Temple of the King.

There are 3 Dio albums.

ADD
11-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Rainbow jams, one of the bands that got me into classic rock and metal. My favorite album is probably the first one, and picking a favorite song is just impossible. Those 3 Dio-era albums are all phenomenal, and I definitely prefer them to any of Dio's solo albums besides Holy Diver. They've really got a unique feel/atmosphere to them, some special charm.

ChildrenofSodom
11-16-2008, 11:53 AM
There are 3 Dio albums.

Okay. Well, I've heard Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, and Rising.

JRA
11-16-2008, 12:26 PM
My favorite album is probably the first one, and picking a favorite song is just impossible. Those 3 Dio-era albums are all phenomenal, and I definitely prefer them to any of Dio's solo albums besides Holy Diver. They've really got a unique feel/atmosphere to them, some special charm.

Damn, you're probably the only person I've ever heard say that.

ChildrenofSodom
11-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Rainbow jams, one of the bands that got me into classic rock and metal. My favorite album is probably the first one, and picking a favorite song is just impossible. Those 3 Dio-era albums are all phenomenal, and I definitely prefer them to any of Dio's solo albums besides Holy Diver. They've really got a unique feel/atmosphere to them, some special charm.

I'd agree to that.

SomewhereInTime72
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM

I'd agree to that.

laffo

Fe Maiden
11-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Those 3 Dio-era albums are all phenomenal, They've really got a unique feel/atmosphere to them, some special charm.Well said!

ADD
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
:dorky: :D

Div
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Long live Rock n Roll was a good album, I think the title song wouldve been alot better if the chorus wasnt so corny though.

makethemsuffer12
07-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Rainbow thread back from the dead!

Is anyone seeing Over The Rainbow in Ocean City on Monday?

markman
08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Rainbow Rising is one of the best albums EVER MADE!! Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Light in the Black, Do you close your Eyes, Lady Starstruck pure masterpieces!!! Long Live RNR is also one of my favs of all time... RJD really took his place in Metal history with Rainbow!! :horns:

markman
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Long live Rock n Roll was a good album, I think the title song wouldve been alot better if the chorus wasnt so corny though.

The cover to Long Live RNR is awesome but I would say Rainbow Rising's album cover has to be one of the best also!!:rocker:

JRA
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Rainboe back from the dead? yea sure...

if you consider Kiss without Ace Frehley or Peter Criss Kiss back from the dead. Seriously, fuck scab Rainbow.

jerry1013
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
"scab" KISS can sure as hell play better than 96-00 KISS.

Can't say that about "scab" Rainbow though.

Indestructible
08-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Now listening to man on the silver mountain

SirLardsAlot
08-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I recently fell in love with Graham Bonnet (no homo ... well maybe a little) so I went out and got Down to Earth like 2 weeks ago. Fuckin' incredible. Gonna have to say All Night Long is my favorite song.

Fe Maiden
08-24-2009, 06:56 AM
LOL, I forgot all about this thread!

ADD
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Broke out the first album this morning :stoned: Fuckin stupid rad sounds. Did you guys know that "Black Sheep of the Family" is actually a cover from an obscure 70's prog rock band called Quatermass?

JRA
08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Broke out the first album this morning :stoned: Fuckin stupid rad sounds. Did you guys know that "Black Sheep of the Family" is actually a cover from an obscure 70's prog rock band called Quatermass?

Wow, I used to think that the first Rainbow album was a miss, but according to you I guess it's hit or miss?

ADD
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, I used to think that the first Rainbow album was a miss, but according to you I guess it's hit or miss?

:lol: Slamdunk :party:

JRA
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
:lol: Slamdunk :party:

Goddamit! That is not what I meant at all!

TonyD
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
"scab" KISS can sure as hell play better than 96-00 KISS.

Can't say that about "scab" Rainbow though.
:lol:
Finally we have a term for this.

ADD
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Goddamit! That is not what I meant at all!
Wait really? :lol: :eyes: That'd be even funnier.

JRA
08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I just listened to a 90's interview with Dio where he referred to the second side of Rainbow Rising (i.e. Stargazer and A Light In The Black) as "self-indulgent crap."

RONNIE YOU RAT BASTARD!! :eek::eek::eek::bouville::bouville::bouville::mad: :mad::mad: