PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Band Name

Sinfulsot
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
What band do you think has the most brutal/shock value/ass kickery/je ne sais quoi of a name, past or present?

For me, this game is best when thinking about how a non-metal head react to it. my friend since college/high school who dabbles more or less, but i'd say he's not really into it, got a kick out of the band name Rotting Christ. I know i am using a good one right out of the gate, but this is also about the worst name.

and the worst one i ever came across is called Oomph!. Maybe with three o's. but definitely the exclamation point (!). and as a math nerd back in my youth, had i come across this particular band then, i'd go, "Oomph factorial?"
(ducks)
but their one saving grace is the lyric "spitting blood in the face of god". i found this on a music channel thru windoze media playah, 777-something. it's a little canned, meaning there's a good bit of repetition, but i found quite a few gems there, specifically Oomph. I didn't google or wikipedia them however, so if there was an error in their playlist, and Oomph is somehow incorrect, the band that sings the lyric "spitting blood in the face of god" may have a better name than Rotting Christ.

good hunting ppl.

oh, and for those that are not in a band, but if you were what would be the name of it? I have two:

Blastula
Diet of Worms

mankvill
10-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I know there's a band called "...aaaarrghh..." :lol:

most brual?

Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition?

hot_turkey_ed
10-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Dew Scented. Horrible name for a metal.

DethMaiden
10-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Best metal band name, possibly Black Sabbath. I've also really always liked Helloween, as a pun enthusiast.

Worst? Probably Edguy.

And I would love to start a German thrash/early Sepultura sounding band called Decaying Remains someday. :D

JRA
10-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I love Kreator, but that is one of the worst names for a band ever.

DethMaiden
10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
But as far as most brutal (as I now read), Prostitute Disfigurement has to be up there.

Maiden33
10-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Pink Cream 69. No question. A top 20 band for me, but god it's an awful name.

SomewhereInTime72
10-19-2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1818404.ece

hot_turkey_ed
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
But as far as most brutal (as I now read), Prostitute Disfigurement has to be up there.

For the brutal list... Chainsaw Abortion.

ChildrenofSodom
10-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Whenever I listen to 3 Inches of Blood, people ask what it the name is, and think thats a ridiculous name.

mankvill
10-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Whenever I listen to 3 Inches of Blood, people ask what it the name is, and think thats a ridiculous name.

Same here.

I also get strange looks when I mention Dying Fetus.

SirLardsAlot
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah ... such a bad name.

ChildrenofSodom
10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah ... such a bad name.

Yeah..those bands.

The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Heavy Heavy Low Low

rjturtle9
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
lets see...

Best - i have to say cannibal corpse (i just like it)

Worst - Job for a cowboy (sounds soooo gay)

JRA
10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Worst - Job for a cowboy (sounds soooo gay)

I hate that name too. It sounds like it should be a country band.

Div
10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Best - Goblin Cock, Immortal, Slough Feg, Devo

Worst - Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Royal Hunt, Mudvayne

SirLardsAlot
10-19-2008, 01:44 PM
One of the best is "Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives".

ravenheart
10-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Let's be honest, 95% of all metal band names are shit.

powerslave_85
10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Best: Andrew Jackson Jihad, Chainsaw To the Face, John Cougar Concentration Camp
Worst: I don't know. Pink Cream 69 is pretty fucking horrible, though.

mankvill
10-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Heavy Heavy Low Low

All bias aside, this band is the worst band I've ever heard.

JRA
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Let's be honest, 95% of all metal band names are shit.

But very few of them make one cringe.

TonyD
10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
John Cougar Concentration Camp

Never heard of them but that's a great name.
It's not the metal band names that make me cringe but the stupid ironic deathcore ones like JFAC, the number 12 looks like you, devil wears prada etc...
The one that I actually like is the Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, who were actually featured on his show before TV decided to spare our lives and cancel it.

Has anyone considered Anal Cunt yet?

Firewind
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
How about Fragments of Unbecoming? I think it's pretty horrible.

rjturtle9
10-20-2008, 08:31 AM

:foaming:

Sinfulsot
10-21-2008, 07:29 AM
:foaming:

it's not about how they sound. it's strictly about the name.

SomewhereInTime72
10-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, Royal Hunt has got to be one of the worst names ever. Every time I listen to them, I have to make myself not think about their name. :eyes:

Div
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM

well it works both ways for me

Maiden33
10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, Royal Hunt has got to be one of the worst names ever. Every time I listen to them, I have to make myself not think about their name. :eyes:

I honestly don't think the name's that bad.

Oh, and I'd like to nominate the band Masterstroke.

ChildrenofSodom
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Jon Oliva's Pain, Chris Caffery's Faces. Bad.

Maiden33
10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Jon Oliva's Pain, Chris Caffery's Faces. Bad.

Chris Caffery's Faces has never existed. Chris has a solo band under his own name with an album called Faces, but his band is not "Chris Caffery's Faces".

rjturtle9
10-21-2008, 03:31 PM

yeah i know but i think the only one that i don't like in that list is royalhunt.

ChildrenofSodom
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Chris Caffery's Faces has never existed. Chris has a solo band under his own name with an album called Faces, but his band is not "Chris Caffery's Faces".

I could have sworn it was. My apology.

TonyD
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Chris Caffery speaks english well enough to know that if he did name his band that, it would have to be "Chris Caffery's Face" which would be hillarious.

Maiden33
10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Chris Caffery speaks english well enough to know that if he did name his band that, it would have to be "Chris Caffery's Face" which would be hillarious.

Actually Chris Caffery's Faces would make perfect sense. In the context of the song and album name, "life has many faces", basically saying that every person has many sides to their personality which show at different times throughout life. Thus one person has multiple faces, and thus Faces is a theme album about the many different sides of Chris's personality.

Sinfulsot
10-21-2008, 08:26 PM
well it works both ways for me

fair enough.

zgodt
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
But very few of them make one cringe.
If they don't make you cringe it's probably just that you've been desensitized by overexposure to how asinine metal band names are.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned Prostitute Disfigurement. I saw that band name earlier this year and, far from finding it "brutal", thought it was the lamest, most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. Ahaha! Not even "whorecutter" or something, but "Prostitute Disfigurement", all big fantsy words like they were intellectuals or something! :lol:

Sinfulsot
11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
If they don't make you cringe it's probably just that you've been desensitized by overexposure to how asinine metal band names are.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned Prostitute Disfigurement. I saw that band name earlier this year and, far from finding it "brutal", thought it was the lamest, most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. Ahaha! Not even "whorecutter" or something, but "Prostitute Disfigurement", all big fantsy words like they were intellectuals or something! :lol:

as to worst name, that's the sort of reaction i wanted to hear about. as to best, not necessarily the most brutal, but certainly the biggest shock reaction that one would get from any non-metal friend or acquaintance. hence my choice of Rotting Christ for best name per the reaction i get from the non-metal ppl i know.

when i saw Pretty Little Flower on the maryland death fest bill, i thought it had a shot at worst name; however, for a death metal band, it's something i wouldn't expect. but i would compare this sort of thing to a tiny dog named The Terror or Crusher or something like that.

zgodt
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
as to worst name, that's the sort of reaction i wanted to hear about. as to best, not necessarily the most brutal, but certainly the biggest shock reaction that one would get from any non-metal friend or acquaintance. hence my choice of Rotting Christ for best name per the reaction i get from the non-metal ppl i know.

when i saw Pretty Little Flower on the maryland death fest bill, i thought it had a shot at worst name; however, for a death metal band, it's something i wouldn't expect. but i would compare this sort of thing to a tiny dog named The Terror or Crusher or something like that.

Pretty Little Flower is far from great, but it's so much better than all these lame "look-how-eeeevil-we-are" band names. I would throw Rotting Christ in that mix too -- it's not shocking, it's predictable. (I mean, really, it's basically an overblown variation on "Black Sabbath.")

mankvill
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

wtf.

Seriously.

Firewind
11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

wtf.

Seriously.

Haha, I love that one...

zgodt
11-04-2008, 03:43 AM
I prefer "wtf" band names to obvious ones.

Sinfulsot
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
then let this thread morph into wtf names.

i like the reaction i get when i mention Rotting Christ to people; however, i got a similar reaction to Five Finger Death Punch. so maybe you are right about that.

I also like the name Anaal Nakthrath (sp?), because of my Excalibur (the movie) obsessed friend and his memorization of the charm of making.

mankvill
11-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Anaal Nakthrath (sp?), because of my Excalibur (the movie) obsessed friend and his memorization of the charm of making.

Anaal Nathrakh

means "Serpent's Breath"

My favorite band of all time. :fist:

Sinfulsot
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Anaal Nathrakh

means "Serpent's Breath"

My favorite band of all time. :fist:

would that be latin? now i wonder if said charm of making from the movie has actual meaning behind it.

mankvill
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
would that be latin? now i wonder if said charm of making from the movie has actual meaning behind it.

It's, if I remember correctly, in Old English.

Fun fact: some of the lyrics on their first album, The Codex Necro, are written in Old English. ;)

Sinfulsot
11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
It's, if I remember correctly, in Old English.

Fun fact: some of the lyrics on their first album, The Codex Necro, are written in Old English. ;)

actually, that makes a lot more sense.

zgodt
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Listening today to The Dark, it occurred to me that "Metal Church" has to be the worst fucking band name ever.

JRA
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Listening today to The Dark, it occurred to me that "Metal Church" has to be the worst fucking band name ever.

There are many a band on the "Get Thrashed" DVD who would vehemently disagree with you; calling it the best name ever. :lol:

ravenheart
02-01-2013, 02:38 AM
THREAD NECRO!!

For good reason, as I came across (excuse the pun) a new contender for worst band name: Captain Cleanoff

Epidemic Reign
02-01-2013, 02:41 AM
I dunno about the best or worst names, I could ponder that for hours.

I do however know that one of my recent favorites is Grand Supreme Blood Court.

hellawaits77ny
02-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Some new ones I've learned of, just for "shock value":

Infant Annihilator
Gutfucked
Female Nose Breaker
Begging For Incest

and the list goes on.........

GarageMetal468
02-03-2013, 07:05 AM
THREAD NECRO!!

For good reason, as I came across (excuse the pun) a new contender for worst band name: Captain Cleanoff

Shut up, Captain Cleanoff rule.

I wouldn't say it's the WORST name, but certainly not good :lol:

dcmetal108
02-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Some new ones I've learned of, just for "shock value":

Infant Annihilator
Gutfucked
Female Nose Breaker
Begging For Incest

and the list goes on.........

The first two aren't that bad but those last two :lol:

PVH5150
02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Aborted Hitler Cock

OraclesofAgony
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
The first two aren't that bad but those last two :lol:

Female Nose Breaker is not brutal enough... Not impressed.

RampinUp46
02-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Personally, I have a few of these names under my belt:

I was in a half-assed project called Alabama Cousinfuckers in my sophomore year of high school, followed by an attempt at one-man stoner doom called Krokodil (see the heroin alternative for the reasoning behind the name), I pitched in the name Cuntslaughter for a third group, and now I have ties to a band that accidentally named themselves after the Latin word for "sewer".

GarageMetal468
02-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Don't know if this has been posted (by me or anyone else), but best band name contender:

Walking Talking Stephen Hawking

adamclark52
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Chickenfoot has to be one of the worst names I've ever heard. And the fact that they are (or maybe were) on a major-label and made up of well-established musicians makes it even worse.

RampinUp46
02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Don't know if this has been posted (by me or anyone else), but best band name contender:

Walking Talking Stephen Hawking

:lol:

PVH5150
02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Uncle Daddy & The Family Secret

kalfitegrdan
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Uncle Daddy & The Family Secret

Uncle Daddy? Well, I think I guessed the family secret.

ravenheart
02-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Fragments of Unbecoming is pretty crappy...

hellawaits77ny
02-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Aborted Hitler Cock

Classy

Natrlhi
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
A completely awesome band that I've meant to bring up on this forum numerous times and keep forgetting to do so...

http://www.burnoutzine.net/interviews/interviews_images/asschapel_logo.gif

I can't decide if their name is one of the worst or one of the best, but it definitely gets people's attention when you say it. :lol:

Their 2003 full-length Fire and Destruction absolutely fucking slays. :rocker:

The Colonel
02-08-2013, 12:25 AM
3 Things, 1. Captain Cleanoff rules, despite having a somewhat weak name, 2. My personal favorite band name of all time is Schlitzkrieg, but nobody outside AZ has probably ever heard them, 3. Is Aborted Hitler Cock a real band?

christopher
02-08-2013, 12:34 AM
There's this band from AZ called Sorrower. Worst name ever!!!

haha just messing colonel, love the name and your music :D Come back to cali please

kalfitegrdan
02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
3. Is Aborted Hitler Cock a real band?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kQKYPIgs0c8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkQKYPIgs0c8

The song title cracks me up. Using my phone, so I hope it works.