PDA

View Full Version : What Is Slipknot's Message & What Do They Stand For In Their Songs

Indestructible
09-28-2008, 11:24 AM
;)

SirLardsAlot
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
That they suck as hard as Disturbed.

hot_turkey_ed
09-28-2008, 11:47 AM
That they suck as hard as Disturbed.

Can you play Stricken and Before I forget on expert on GH III? ;)

I have a very hard time with the second half of the bridge in Before I Forget . * sigh *

FYI ALL from The Law: You're all reasonably free to express your opinions, but mindless 'bashing' will not be tolerated. If you're unhappy about something, at least moan constructively. :whipped:

I'm not sure Slipknot has to stand for something, just like a lot of metal bands. They do some creative things that I enjoy but I strongly doubt the band will be meaningfully remembered for their contribution to the evolution of metal. Slipknot does their thing while collecting Hot Topic Dollars. A lot of you just fucking hate them for it. Others are attempting to be cool in joining the anti-herd herd. I say let the kids who wears their maggot suits to Slipknot gigs have their fun. A mosher at heart, I'm saving my scorn for hardcore dancers.

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I dont like Slipknot, but some of their recent stuff (as well as Stone Sour) is pretty catchy. Its not really 'good' metal, but its okay music. I like Joey Jordison's work outside of Slipknot (with Ministry and 3 Inches of Blood). I am not that familar with their early nu-metal stuff, but I think what I have heard sucks. Their schtick is lame and annoying, and most of their fans are trashy hicks.

They seem to feed on the teenage angst felt by Midwestern kids who are 'trapped' by their parents, schools, religion, etc. I really liked their commentary on Metal A Headbangers Journey.

Indestructible
09-28-2008, 12:16 PM
people say they have a message or something. i think its pretty much if you cast me out well fuck you i dont care we will rise up aganist you and fuck the world and everyone else

Indestructible
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I dont like Slipknot, but some of their recent stuff (as well as Stone Sour) is pretty catchy. Its not really 'good' metal, but its okay music. I like Joey Jordison's work outside of Slipknot (with Ministry and 3 Inches of Blood). I am not that familar with their early nu-metal stuff, but I think what I have heard sucks. Their schtick is lame and annoying, and most of their fans are trashy hicks.

They seem to feed on the teenage angst felt by Midwestern kids who are 'trapped' by their parents, schools, religion, etc. I really liked their commentary on Metal A Headbangers Journey.

if your not firmilar with early slipknot you might like it.try stuff from slipknot and iowa

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 12:30 PM
people say they have a message or something. i think its pretty much if you cast me out well fuck you i dont care we will rise up aganist you and fuck the world and everyone else

That seems to be the attitude that I gather from kids at my school. To some extent, I feel the same way. But I am able to formulate complexed thoughts and articulate my arguments. I feel that I can debate someone and try to change their mind, maybe fix the system from the inside, better than just saying 'fuck you', going out to skateboard, and smoke reefer. Those things are not constructive or beneficial in the process of change.

Maiden33
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
just saying 'fuck you', going out to skateboard, and smoke reefer.

:lol:

SirLardsAlot
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Can you play Stricken and Before I forget on expert on GH III? ;)

I have a very hard time with the second half of the bridge in Before I Forget . * sigh *No, but a band having a song that is taken by a company and given a crazy-hard cord overload does not make them good music.

FYI ALL from The Law: You're all reasonably free to express your opinions, but mindless 'bashing' will not be tolerated. If you're unhappy about something, at least moan constructively. :whipped:To quote Anthrax ... I am the law.

people say they have a message or something. i think its pretty much if you cast me out well fuck you i dont care we will rise up aganist you and fuck the world and everyone elseIf that is any bands message, I don't care how good they are, they don't deserve to be listened to.

Indestructible
09-28-2008, 12:34 PM

i feel like that

Indestructible
09-28-2008, 12:35 PM
If that is any bands message, I don't care how good they are, they don't deserve to be listened to.

you felt that way at somepoint. proboly in highschool

SirLardsAlot
09-28-2008, 12:38 PM
you felt that way at somepoint. proboly in highschoolNo, actually, I've never felt that way.

SomewhereInTime72
09-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Their message is anger without substance.

edit: Lardy being awesome in this thread. ;)

SirLardsAlot
09-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Their message is anger without substance.

edit: Lardy being awesome in this thread. ;)

<3

Div
09-28-2008, 01:26 PM
their message is targeted at angsty teens who hate the world because some jock shoved an italian ice in their ass crack at the county fair.

;)

Maiden33
09-28-2008, 01:36 PM
about this thread:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/1107756048_0a2d678899.jpg

JRA
09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I smells a troll.

rjturtle9
09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
damn 2 pages into a slipknot thread and i haven't posted anything. :eek: amazing!!!!

i don't know. i don't really care about a "message" that a band sends out. i say fuck these so called messages. just go play some fuckin music.

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
If you ignore the messages in music, then you dont get to appreciate certain things, anti-immigrant Republicans singing This Land is Your Land

DethMaiden
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
The message seems to be very appealing to white trash, so maybe it's a hidden message about sucking the welfare teat or pumping out kids out of wedlock.

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
The message seems to be very appealing to white trash, so maybe it's a hidden message about sucking the welfare teat or pumping out kids out of wedlock.

Both things that I have been a part of.

DethMaiden
09-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Both things that I have been a part of.

Oh...come on. That's not what I meant. Although I do now feel like approximately ten times as big a dickhead. :eyes: :eyes:

JRA
09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Since people can't seem to shut the hell up about this, I figure I'd post a "work in progress" of mine, about my days at the IMBB and other stuff entitled "true metal gripes." It basically questions why we were so willing to accept anything that sounded exactly like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, but in the case of doing something new such as Children Of Bodom or Mastodon (althought neither of the latter two are mentioned in there, yet) we flip the fuck out. Again, its a work in progress so just take in what you can.

So what are these so-called "true metal heads?" Well simply put, to me they were the people that respected everything in metal except for trends that tried to make it poppy. Hair, nu, and core. There's also the fact that it these styles came with a certain look to them; be it the teaesd glam feminine look of glam, or the scary goth kid/wigger look of the nu.

I don't think I need to explain what Hair is to people; tossed up with hairspray and make up, with a sound that's basically a lighter and more radio friendlier version of "British Steel." Poison, Slaughter, Warrant, etc. you get the idea.

Then there's nu, Downtuned riffs, slow, danceable hip-hop esque tempos, computerized DJ sounds, "scary" images, with lyrics for the most part dealing with how they were "outcasts" "loners" "crawling in my skin," basically angry white kids in the middle/lowerclass. Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, System Of A Down, Slipknot.

Now I know those last three are going to cause some to be filled with outrage, but that's how we viewed it. Slipknot were, in our eyes the worst offenders of this. They have pretty much all of those ingridents that I listed above, with the exception of the slow tempos. Same thing with Disturbed, although I must conceed I certainly prefered them over Slipknot, along with Godsmack. Why? Because out of them all, those two sounded the most like "the old school."

See for us, the idea of moving metal forward was a bad thing, because here, we saw it being moved in this nu-metal direction, while us true-metal heads were fighting to keep it like the old school. I remember my first concert, Ozzfest 2000. Every friggin band had this "hardcore" vocal style which basically consisted of growling into a microphone. When Godsmack came on, it was a breath of fucking fresh air: finally here's a band with not only a guy who sings, but they actually write traditional rock songs! Say what you will about about thrash/black/death, they all wrote songs in the traditional verse/chorus form. If they didn't they would be rejected by everyone except the most elitist of critics, who nobody listened to anyway (sorry Iann, but in order for your shit to have clout, it has to resonate with other people besides you).

So Godsmack were good shit in my book. Here was an industry who was claiming that the old school was dead, and that nobody wanted to hear a band flying the flag for what the likes of Van Halen, & Deep Purple did in their decade, and here was Godsmack triumphantly saying "fuck you." These guys were Dragonforce, Jet, and the Darkness, long before those bands entered the mainstream. I've since stopped following them (changing personal tastes) but considering they're on what I believe to be their fifth album, were selected to represent Judas Priest at Rock Honors, and well, I haven't heard any news about them breaking up, Sully Erna and company must be doing something right.

But perhaps the worst thing about the likes of Slipknot is that they are singlehandedly responsible for the "Hot Topic" movement in America. Say what you will, but the serial killer outfits, the goofy hair, the masks, all of that added up to an explosion which not only caused everybody to focus more on their image instead of their music, but spawned countless imitators from the early look of Mudvayne to the cross-bred hipster look of metal.

Now I know you're thinking. "True metal" has always had a fashion code to it as well. This can be traced to the punk movement of the 70's, and the DIY of sewing patches on jackets. The metal kids pretty much stole that idea for themselves, putting on metal patches instead and adding leather along with the ensemble.

That's all I got for now.

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh...come on. That's not what I meant. Although I do now feel like approximately ten times as big a dickhead. :eyes: :eyes:

I knew what you were saying. I feel the same way as you. ;)

Maiden33
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Since people can't seem to shut the hell up about this, I figure I'd post a "work in progress" of mine, about my days at the IMBB and other stuff entitled "true metal gripes." It basically questions why we were so willing to accept anything that sounded exactly like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, but in the case of doing something new such as Children Of Bodom or Mastodon (althought neither of the latter two are mentioned in there, yet) we flip the fuck out. Again, its a work in progress so just take in what you can.

So what are these so-called "true metal heads?" Well simply put, to me they were the people that respected everything in metal except for trends that tried to make it poppy. Hair, nu, and core. There's also the fact that it these styles came with a certain look to them; be it the teaesd glam feminine look of glam, or the scary goth kid/wigger look of the nu.

I don't think I need to explain what Hair is to people; tossed up with hairspray and make up, with a sound that's basically a lighter and more radio friendlier version of "British Steel." Poison, Slaughter, Warrant, etc. you get the idea.

Then there's nu, Downtuned riffs, slow, danceable hip-hop esque tempos, computerized DJ sounds, "scary" images, with lyrics for the most part dealing with how they were "outcasts" "loners" "crawling in my skin," basically angry white kids in the middle/lowerclass. Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, System Of A Down, Slipknot.

Now I know those last three are going to cause some to be filled with outrage, but that's how we viewed it. Slipknot were, in our eyes the worst offenders of this. They have pretty much all of those ingridents that I listed above, with the exception of the slow tempos. Same thing with Disturbed, although I must conceed I certainly prefered them over Slipknot, along with Godsmack. Why? Because out of them all, those two sounded the most like "the old school."

See for us, the idea of moving metal forward was a bad thing, because here, we saw it being moved in this nu-metal direction, while us true-metal heads were fighting to keep it like the old school. I remember my first concert, Ozzfest 2000. Every friggin band had this "hardcore" vocal style which basically consisted of growling into a microphone. When Godsmack came on, it was a breath of fucking fresh air: finally here's a band with not only a guy who sings, but they actually write traditional rock songs! Say what you will about about thrash/black/death, they all wrote songs in the traditional verse/chorus form. If they didn't they would be rejected by everyone except the most elitist of critics, who nobody listened to anyway (sorry Iann, but in order for your shit to have clout, it has to resonate with other people besides you).

So Godsmack were good shit in my book. Here was an industry who was claiming that the old school was dead, and that nobody wanted to hear a band flying the flag for what the likes of Van Halen, & Deep Purple did in their decade, and here was Godsmack triumphantly saying "fuck you." These guys were Dragonforce, Jet, and the Darkness, long before those bands entered the mainstream. I've since stopped following them (changing personal tastes) but considering they're on what I believe to be their fifth album, were selected to represent Judas Priest at Rock Honors, and well, I haven't heard any news about them breaking up, Sully Erna and company must be doing something right.

But perhaps the worst thing about the likes of Slipknot is that they are singlehandedly responsible for the "Hot Topic" movement in America. Say what you will, but the serial killer outfits, the goofy hair, the masks, all of that added up to an explosion which not only caused everybody to focus more on their image instead of their music, but spawned countless imitators from the early look of Mudvayne to the cross-bred hipster look of metal.

Now I know you're thinking. "True metal" has always had a fashion code to it as well. This can be traced to the punk movement of the 70's, and the DIY of sewing patches on jackets. The metal kids pretty much stole that idea for themselves, putting on metal patches instead and adding leather along with the ensemble.

That's all I got for now.

:fist:
I never would've predicted I would agree with you as much as I do about this statement. Never have been a Godsmack fan though. Otherwise this is spot on.

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM
In my opinion, there are aspects of metal that should be collectivists, and parts that should be individualistic. The idea of brotherhood, going to the show, hanging with your bros, partying, having a good time, and just 'rocking out'. Those are things that can be enjoyed in groups. One of the best aspects of metal is that we all come from different backgrounds, family situations, religions, socio-economic classes, races, genders, sexual orientations, creeds, etc...but we are all united under that flag of metal. Case in point: Wacken Open Air Festival. We get blacks, whites, latinos, asians, indigenious people, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Buddhists, Satanists, spiritualists, pagans, men, women, children, gays, straights, poor, rich, white trash, blue-bloods, liberals, conservatives, hippies, rednecks, punks, jocks, preps, nerds, whatever.....throw them all on a floor in front of a 'metal band' and they all forget those petty things and just headbang. If someone falls down, you pick them up and get back to the party. Although we are all individualists, the music and its message brings up together.

Along with our obvious personal differences, I think there should be individualism in metal. The attitude of metal and punk, in the 80s, was standing up the man, defying authority, doing what you wanted, wearing what you wanted, and not conforming. I feel that to some extent that has been lost. Obviously things like jeans and t-shirts are not the most individualistic things you can wear. And the thing with denim jackets, I have been called a conformist by a friend for having one because it is 'stereotypically metal.' However, those patches that I choose to put on that jacket are what make it special.

However we see today, kids of one scene wearing the exact same thing. Trip pants, fingernail polish, dyed hair, chains, spikes in the Slipknot scene...tight jeans, fringes, all black clothes, hankerchief out of the back pocket, keys hooked to the belt loop in the emo/scenester scene......the ironic shirts in the hipster scene, et. al.

A line from Family Guy, where Stewie is pretending to be a rebellious teenager: "I took a bunch of pictures, you can see it on my Myspace page, along with my favorite songs and movies and things that other people have created but I use to express my individualism."

rjturtle9
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
In my opinion, there are aspects of metal that should be collectivists, and parts that should be individualistic. The idea of brotherhood, going to the show, hanging with your bros, partying, having a good time, and just 'rocking out'. Those are things that can be enjoyed in groups. One of the best aspects of metal is that we all come from different backgrounds, family situations, religions, socio-economic classes, races, genders, sexual orientations, creeds, etc...but we are all united under that flag of metal. Case in point: Wacken Open Air Festival. We get blacks, whites, latinos, asians, indigenious people, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Buddhists, Satanists, spiritualists, pagans, men, women, children, gays, straights, poor, rich, white trash, blue-bloods, liberals, conservatives, hippies, rednecks, punks, jocks, preps, nerds, whatever.....throw them all on a floor in front of a 'metal band' and they all forget those petty things and just headbang. If someone falls down, you pick them up and get back to the party. Although we are all individualists, the music and its message brings up together.

:fist::blaze::party::rocker::light::horns:

ChildrenofSodom
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
:fist::blaze::party::rocker::light::horns:

You are all my bros! :punk: :shred: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :shred: :punk:

TonyD
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Derp derp... I hate my parents

mankvill
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM
If someone falls down, you pick them up and get back to the party.

unless they're hardcore dancing. Fuck them, then. :mad:

ChildrenofSodom
09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
unless they're hardcore dancing. Fuck them, then. :mad:

Yeah. But those guys are usually racist, sexist, or just bad people.

rjturtle9
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah. But those guys are usually racist, sexist, or just bad people.

yeah man. mayhem fest proved that to me

ADD
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
saying 'fuck you', going out to skateboard, and smoke reefer.

:metal:

JRA
10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaoUfsA_7ls

Anyways, fuck whatever slipknot's message is, and watch this video. It will surely give you a newfound love of this genre. :D

Maiden33
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaoUfsA_7ls

Anyways, fuck whatever slipknot's message is, and watch this video. It will surely give you a newfound love of this genre. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Div
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
kill this thread

JRA
10-01-2008, 03:46 PM
kill this thread

No! My precious "ED's furry fucking guide to metal" video must live! :snivel:

rjturtle9
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
No! My precious "ED's furry fucking guide to metal" video must live! :snivel:

haha i agree with that