PDA

View Full Version : ProgPower USA X Lineup Announced

JuuKun
09-26-2008, 09:47 PM
AKA "ATLANTA HERE I COME!"

Wednesday, September 9th:
Pagan Maximus (Acoustic set feat. members of Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus)
Mindcrime (Queensryche cover band)
Queensryche Live Karaoke

Thursday, September 10th:
Primal Fear
Vanden Plas
Suspyre
Future's End

Friday, September 11th:
Power Quest
Tomorrow's Eve
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Sabaton
Royal Hunt
Andre Matos

Saturday, September 12th:
Circus Maximus
Orphaned Land
Pagan's Mind
Brainstorm
Fates Warning

Pagan's Mind sealed the deal. Every other band is just icing on the metal cake...

I will be in Atlanta in 2009.

Maiden33
09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Royal Hunt
Circus Maximus
Pagan's Mind
Brainstorm
Fates Warning

I'm there. Particularly for Royal Hunt. This is pretty nice.

... though still no Nocturnal Rites. GRRRR.

JuuKun
09-27-2008, 07:16 AM

Yeah, Nocturnal Rites would have been badass. I was almost sure atleast Tarot or Falconer would make it (both bands have gotten a LOT of talk on the ProgPower board. Falconer in particular.). But, there's still the Thursday night show to announce.

ravenheart
09-27-2008, 08:26 AM

You're not missing much. I saw them last year... disappointingly dull.

JuuKun
09-27-2008, 08:36 AM
You're not missing much. I saw them last year... disappointingly dull.

Really? You're the first person I've heard say that. All the reviews I've seen from Chicago Powerfest a few years back said they absolutely stole the show.

mankvill
09-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, Nocturnal Rites would have been badass. I was almost sure atleast Tarot or Falconer would make it (both bands have gotten a LOT of talk on the ProgPower board. Falconer in particular.). But, there's still the Thursday night show to announce.

I hate Falconer.

:bouville:

ravenheart
09-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Really? You're the first person I've heard say that. All the reviews I've seen from Chicago Powerfest a few years back said they absolutely stole the show.

Yes indeed.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2007/sweden-rock-festival-2007/#nocturnalrites

ravenheart
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Indicentally, do we know the dates? September 25 and 26, presumably?

JuuKun
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
I hate Falconer.

:bouville:

Sorry to hear that, haha. Among Beggars and Thieves is probably in my top of 2008.

What is it that you don't like about Falconer?

JuuKun
09-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Indicentally, do we know the dates?

Not yet. Glenn said he needs to book the hotel rooms for the bands before all of us "greedy bastards reserve all of them". Probably be announced within the next few weeks.

Spiral_Slave
09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Eh, I am really not impressed. I was hoping to go next year, but I won't be now.

Edit: And where the fuck are Astral Doors? They said since they couldn't do it this year, they for sure would be doing it next year...

JuuKun
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Astral Doors and Glenn could not come to an agreement, apparently.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT SHOW ANNOUNCED!

ProgPower USA's "Mid-Week Mayhem" will return to The Loft on September 9th to commence the week's traditional festivities.

Pagan Maximus will kick off the show with an acoustic jam. The set will feature members of both Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus on stage together for the first and only time. Fans can expect unique versions of songs from each band's perspective catalog as well as favorite covers.

Mindcrime will then follow with a performance of "Operation: Mindcrime" in its entirety. The Queensrcyhe tribute band features Chris Salinas (Zero Hour) on vocals.

Fans can then take the spotlight as "Live Queensryche Karaoke" will continue with Mindcrime. Fans, band members, and "surprise guests" will then join the band on stage to perform songs all the way through "Promised Land" (Promoter Glenn Harveston has banned all Queensryche songs post-Promised Land era).

Tickets information will be released at www.progpowerusa.com in the coming weeks.

-

I think the Pagan Maximus idea is fucking great.
Now all they need to do is announce Tarot, Falconer and/or Morgana Lefay for the Showcase on Thursday, and this will be the best week ever. :party:

Maiden33
01-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm still on the fence. That shit sounds really cool and would be great to see, but itsn't really increasing my desire to go. The showcase will need at least one band I love to get me there. Here's looking at you, Nocturnal Rites.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
they had me at Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning.

actually, I'm strongly considering going. What do the tickets usually go for? I'd just want to go to the saturday show.

Maiden33
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
they had me at Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning.

actually, I'm strongly considering going. What do the tickets usually go for? I'd just want to go to the saturday show.

Tickets for Friday and Saturday don't sell separately (to my knowledge). I think for Friday/Saturday it's like $110. I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing something like that.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Tickets for Friday and Saturday don't sell separately (to my knowledge). I think for Friday/Saturday it's like $110. I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing something like that.

cool. thanks for the info.

Maiden33
01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I really would like to go. If I could spare the cash with no issues I'd be there no question.
Fates Warning and Royal Hunt are both Top 20 bands for myself, and this will be Royal Hunt's first (and possibly last) gig ever in America. Not to mention it'll be the first US Fates Warning show in over half a decade.
I also love Circus Maximus, Brainstorm, and Pagans Mind and have never seen any of them and would like to see all of them.
The problem for me is that doing this will be financial hell for me, so the more inspiring me to do it, the easier it is for me to justify going through all trouble to make it happen.

JuuKun
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'd really, really recommend going to anyone that's interested. It's worth every penny.

I went to VIII in 07. I was 15, and I was determined to see Pagan's Mind (a band that has been a favorite of mine since I was 11 or so). I can easily say it's been the best music-related time of my life so far (if not best weekend of my life period). Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, After Forever, Freak Kitchen, and Raintime!!

But, really, I know it seems like it would be an insane amount of money. But if you save up, you can make it work out. You have to figure around $140 for the Friday/Saturday ticket (after Ticketmaster fees), then if you plan on going to Wednesday and Thursday that's a bit extra since each show runs around $20 if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your preferred mode of transportation - I personally took the bus, as it was the cheapest option at the time. That was a little over $100 I think, though coming from Rhode Island I spent 26 or 27 hours on the bus ONE WAY. I slept almost the entire way home.

And then, either see if there's anyone you know going, or see if anyone on the ProgPower boards are looking for roommates - you can split a room closer to the venue, OR stay at the Inn at the Peachtrees (I think that's the hotel I'm thinking of) which is farther, but it's cheaper, and it also runs a shuttle to the venue for the show if I'm not mistaken.

Believe me - I was only 15 when I went to VIII. If you try, you can make it happen. I wouldn't trade the weekend I spent in Atlanta for anything. It's a great time, with great people and great music.

I'll almost definitely be there, but I have people that I'd be rooming with so that takes quite a bit of the pressure off knowing I won't have to pay all the money for the hotel every night. But I understand the need for the Thursday confirmation to put anyone over the edge.

Let's bring on the Showcase announcement!

Maiden33
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd really, really recommend going to anyone that's interested. It's worth every penny.

I went to VIII in 07. I was 15, and I was determined to see Pagan's Mind (a band that has been a favorite of mine since I was 11 or so). I can easily say it's been the best music-related time of my life so far (if not best weekend of my life period). Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, After Forever, Freak Kitchen, and Raintime!!

But, really, I know it seems like it would be an insane amount of money. But if you save up, you can make it work out. You have to figure around $140 for the Friday/Saturday ticket (after Ticketmaster fees), then if you plan on going to Wednesday and Thursday that's a bit extra since each show runs around $20 if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your preferred mode of transportation - I personally took the bus, as it was the cheapest option at the time. That was a little over $100 I think, though coming from Rhode Island I spent 26 or 27 hours on the bus ONE WAY. I slept almost the entire way home.

And then, either see if there's anyone you know going, or see if anyone on the ProgPower boards are looking for roommates - you can split a room closer to the venue, OR stay at the Inn at the Peachtrees (I think that's the hotel I'm thinking of) which is farther, but it's cheaper, and it also runs a shuttle to the venue for the show if I'm not mistaken.

Believe me - I was only 15 when I went to VIII. If you try, you can make it happen. I wouldn't trade the weekend I spent in Atlanta for anything. It's a great time, with great people and great music.

I'll almost definitely be there, but I have people that I'd be rooming with so that takes quite a bit of the pressure off knowing I won't have to pay all the money for the hotel every night. But I understand the need for the Thursday confirmation to put anyone over the edge.

Let's bring on the Showcase announcement!

This is the kind of stuff I read that makes me really want to make whatever sacrifices necessary to make it happen.
What bus company did you use? Was it $100 one-way or round-trip? Also, how much to most of the hotels in the area cost per night?
All info appreciated.

JuuKun
01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
This is the kind of stuff I read that makes me really want to make whatever sacrifices necessary to make it happen.
What bus company did you use? Was it $100 one-way or round-trip? Also, how much to most of the hotels in the area cost per night?
All info appreciated.

Bus company was Greyhound, and I remember whatever it was we paid was round-trip. But it was also purchased much closer to the date (My parents changed their minds multiple times whether I could go or not, and I finally was given the final OK in late August/early September or so, it was in October that year). It was somewhere in the $140-ish range, almost positive. Though right now purchasing from RI to Atlanta is $240 or so round-trip. Also, obviously looking for cheaper flights is always an option.

As for hotels, I'm not exactly sure. You're going to have to see what works for you, and what's available - unfortunately a convention was apparently booked that same weekend, so it's going to take some looking to find deals on hotel rooms. I'm not the best person to go to for hotel info though, seeing as how the year I went, we stayed at the Georgian Terrace on Thursday night - which was a FANTASTIC hotel choice for five people, plenty of sleeping room, but more expensive than we had been told over the phone, and after Sonata Arctica closed Friday night, we drove back to one of our roommates houses, in North Carolina, to stay the night and then drove back to Atlanta in the morning. After the show concluded on Saturday, I went to the bus station, seeing as how my bus left at 3:45 AM. So it's a matter of looking to see what works for you, what your price-range is, and if you have anyone to room with (There's always people on the ProgPower board looking).

JuuKun
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
YES! Showcase announced!

German power metal giants PRIMAL FEAR return to Atlanta to co-headline the ProgPower USA Showcase on September 10th of this year. Progressive metal stalwarts VANDEN PLAS will co-headline the evening with an exclusive U.S. performance. Support will be provided by New Jersey’s SUSPYRE and California’s FUTURE'S END (with Steve DiGiorgio).

The year I went, VIII, Vanden Plas was supposed to co-headline the showcase with Freak Kitchen but they got turned away in Detroit (I think it was Detroit, anyway) and sent back home, and we ended up seeing a lengthened Freak Kitchen set instead - which was still awesome. But I had been looking forward to Vanden Plas, and some rumors said they weren't going to be allowed back in the US for 10 years!

Can't wait!

Maiden33
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
FUCK FUCK FUCK. I decided I'm not going, and now they go and pull this shit out. I WANT TO SEE PRIMAL FEAR VERY BADLY. I quite like Vanden Plas as well.

JuuKun
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
FUCK FUCK FUCK. I decided I'm not going, and now they go and pull this shit out. I WANT TO SEE PRIMAL FEAR VERY BADLY. I quite like Vanden Plas as well.

That sucks, dude. Though I'm sure the Evergrey show is going to be amazing anyways.

But, maybe you're not out of luck - this isn't a one-off for Primal Fear like last time. They're doing an East Coast tour in September. Just no other dates yet.

ravenheart
02-24-2009, 01:42 AM

I was in the same position until I saw them at Sweden Rock last Summer. Very disappointed :(

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-16-2009, 11:49 AM
You can now by individual day tickets to ProgPower X.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/519015-individual-day-tickets-now-available.html

I purchased mine today for Saturday's show. :party:

Can't wait. I finally get to see Pagan's Mind.

JuuKun
08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
That's awesome, man. Have fun. I can't make it this year ($$$), but I hope to make this the last year I miss.

Pagan's Mind are phenomenal live. I may be biased personally, since when I saw them, I had been waiting for 4 or 5 years and put so much time and money to see them, but their performance from VIII is my favorite performance I've ever seen. Have a good time, the lineup for that day is awesome (Well, the entire lineup is awesome, but whatever).