PDA

View Full Version : Activision: GUITAR HERO Bands May Pay-To-Play In The Future

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Source: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5055285/activision-+-perhaps-record-companies-should-pay-us?cpage=1&sort=ASC#viewcomments) & Wall Street Journal

The venues in Guitar Hero may one day become pay to play, just like the shitty bar in your neighborhood or the second stage of Ozzfest. Kotaku commented today on a story in the WSJ, emphasizing the tensions between Activision and some in the music industry which feel they aren't seen enough green from Guitar Hero. So the ceo of Activision had this to say:

There's a misunderstanding of the value we bring to the catalog...When you look at the impact it can have on an Aerosmith, Van Halen or Metallica, it's really significant, so much so that you sort of question whether or not, in the case of those kinds of products, you should be paying any money at all and whether it should be the reverse.

Ouch. One day, I'm going to swear off these games. I would be such a better bass player if Guitar Hero never existed. * sigh *

SomewhereInTime72
09-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Activision is one of the worst game developers out there. :mad:

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Wait I don't get it :confused:

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Wait I don't get it :confused:

Activision is suggesting that bands pay them to appear in Guitar Hero because bands will profit from the exposure. Right now, Activision is probably paying the bands instead.

SomewhereInTime72
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Basically, what this guy said:
Yes, because NOBODY had heard of Van Halen, Aerosmith, or Metallica until Guitar Hero came along.

Let's take this logic and actually put it into a conversational format:

"Hello Metallica. We here at Guitar Hero are going to take your recordings and turn them into tracks for our video game. We will then sell those tracks to users (for a profit), and use your music to promote our franchise."

"Oh, and then we're going to send you a bill."

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Guitar Hero 2 = Awesome.

Guitar Hero 3 = Sucks.

Guitar Hero 4 = Gonna sucks.

Bow down to Rock Band, the superior product. Red Octane and Guitar Hero need to go away.

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Guitar Hero 2 = Awesome.

Guitar Hero 3 = Sucks.

Guitar Hero 4 = Gonna sucks.

Bow down to Rock Band, the superior product. Red Octane and Guitar Hero need to go away.

I really liked GH3. After playing RB1, I wish it had a shuffle feature for song choice but over all I'm happy with it.

RB1 on PS3 was a major disappointment. My launch day hardware all broke very quickly. Not having a lot of folks to play the band mode in my living room sucked.

RB2 isn't leaving my xbox tray. It's that damn good. Importing all the RB1 songs (except a couple) is a major bonus. Between those and the huge DLC I've bought with my metal milk money, my playlists are freaking huge with lots and lots of metal. Fixing the band mode for us single players ruled. Add more character customization (i.e oblivion character creation) and it's all gold for me.

I'm really worried about GHWT. While RB has been about fun, GH has been about shred. In COPYING Rock Band, I fear for the soul of franchise. I don't another want another Rock Band. I want an even harder (than III) Guitar Hero IV. At the end of the day, I play more than one shooter and I'll probably play more than one music game.

Also, the RB2 hardward seems to be of A LOT better quality that my RB1 launch day gear. The only question is whether it last more three week to 60 days.

SomewhereInTime72
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Unles GHWT turns out to really surprise us with its awesomeness, I'm pretty sure RB2 is the definite better choice. I played it once and it was soooooooo fun.

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I really liked GH3. After playing RB1, I wish it had a shuffle feature for song choice but over all I'm happy with it.

RB1 on PS3 was a major disappointment. My launch day hardware all broke very quickly. Not having a lot of folks to play the band mode in my living room sucked.

RB2 isn't leaving my xbox tray. It's that damn good. Importing all the RB1 songs (except a couple) is a major bonus. Between those and the huge DLC I've bought with my metal milk money, my playlists are freaking huge with lots and lots of metal. Fixing the band mode for us single players ruled. Add more character customization (i.e oblivion character creation) and it's all gold for me.

I'm really worried about GHWT. While RB has been about fun, GH has been about shred. In COPYING Rock Band, I fear for the soul of franchise. I don't another want another Rock Band. I want an even harder (than III) Guitar Hero IV. At the end of the day, I play more than one shooter and I'll probably play more than one music game.

Also, the RB2 hardward seems to be of A LOT better quality that my RB1 launch day gear. The only question is whether it last more three week to 60 days.
GH3 was awful. There were like, maybe 10 good songs, and they were not even fun to play.

Edit: Here's a list of the good songs in the game and their funness.

Bulls on Parade - Boring to play
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll (Crappy Cover) - Parts of the song are fun.
Cult of Personality - Too hard to enjoy playing
Devil Went Down to Georgia - Too hard to enjoy playing
Holiday in Cambodia (Crappy Cover) - Fun to play
Knights of Cydonia - Fun to play
The Metal - Too annoying to play
Mississippi Queen - Boring to play
Number of the Beast - Fun to play
One - Too annoying to play
Paint it Black - Fun to play
Paranoid (Crappy Cover) - Decent to play
Raining Blood - Too hard to play
Rock and Roll All Night - Boring to play
Rock You Like a Hurricane - Boring to play
Sabotage - Boring to play
The Seeker (Crappy Cover) - Decent to play
Welcome to the Jungle - Decent to play

4 out of the 18 (out of the 48 total songs, not including the horrendous bonus songs) good songs are fun to play.

RB2 is incredible. They took the almost-perfect RB1 and fixed anything that was wrong with it.

However, the only thing I am disapointed with RB2 is how the character creator is pretty much identical. Barely anything new was added.

TonyD
09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Activision is one of the worst game developers out there. :mad:

I guess you forgot about a little game called Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Heartless_Name
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
GH3 was awful. There were like, maybe 10 good songs, and they were not even fun to play.

Edit: Here's a list of the good songs in the game and their funness.

Bulls on Parade - Boring to play
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll (Crappy Cover) - Parts of the song are fun.
Holiday in Cambodia (Crappy Cover) - Fun to play
Knights of Cydonia - Fun to play
The Metal - Too annoying to play
Mississippi Queen - Boring to play
Number of the Beast - Fun to play
Paint it Black - Fun to play
Paranoid (Crappy Cover) - Decent to play
Rock and Roll All Night - Boring to play
Rock You Like a Hurricane - Boring to play
Sabotage - Boring to play
The Seeker (Crappy Cover) - Decent to play
Welcome to the Jungle - Decent to play

4 out of the 18 (out of the 48 total songs, not including the horrendous bonus songs) good songs are fun to play.

RB2 is incredible. They took the almost-perfect RB1 and fixed anything that was wrong with it.

However, the only thing I am disapointed with RB2 is how the character creator is pretty much identical. Barely anything new was added.
Songs in Rock band were too fucking easy, the 'expert' on RB were like medium/hard on GH.

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Songs in Rock band were too fucking easy, the 'expert' on RB were like medium/hard on GH.

They've upped the difficulty in RB2. However I enjoy that it's a bit easier than GH games, because you an actually enjoy playing the song as opposed to struggling and getting frustrated.

mankvill
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM

noob

rjturtle9
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM

:fist:

SomewhereInTime72
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I guess you forgot about a little completely ruined franchise called Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

rjturtle9
09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I guess you forgot about a little completely ruined franchise called Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

yea the last 2 sucked. but the first seven were amazing games

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 05:25 PM
noobShush.

SomewhereInTime72
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, one thing I disliked about RB1 was the incredibly low difficulty, where Expert was like Medium on GH3. I love that it's been upped in RB2. I feel like they perfected the formula, finally. :D

Edit: yea the last 2 sucked. but the first seven were amazing games

If by last two, you mean like last 5, then yeah.

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
They've upped the difficulty in RB2. However I enjoy that it's a bit easier than GH games, because you an actually enjoy playing the song as opposed to struggling and getting frustrated.

There are some songs in RB2 (i.e. Visions, entire Peace Sells DLC) that are right up there with the more difficult venues on GHIII expert level. The lower tier of RB2 expert is MUCH easier (i.e. Pretend Your Dead) than the lower venues on GHIII expert. :2cents:

It sounds you hate GHIII for some of the reasons I really enjoy it. :shred:

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 06:10 PM
noob

:lol:

:shred:

The last couple of songs on GHIII expert are pretty damn hard. I'm stuck at like 35 or 36 of the 42. I'm beat Cult on Quickplay but not in my career. I've also managed a couple of the last tier songs as well. I'll get it all together and solved the game eventually.

mankvill
09-26-2008, 09:20 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2585638927836230110&hl=en

Me failing and then beating DWDTG on Expert.

SirLardsAlot
09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
:lol:

:shred:

The last couple of songs on GHIII expert are pretty damn hard. I'm stuck at like 35 or 36 of the 42. I'm beat Cult on Quickplay but not in my career. I've also managed a couple of the last tier songs as well. I'll get it all together and solved the game eventually.

Don't you play on Hard, nub?

mankvill
09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
There's an achievment for getting, I think, above 200k on Cult of Personality on Expert without using star power.
:cool:
You know I got dat.

hot_turkey_ed
09-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Don't you play on Hard, nub?

On GH III, I've been playing Hard on 360 for purposes mainly of achievement whoring, fun, and improving my HO/POs. On the PS3 (we got it on this console a year ago but only this spring for 360), I finished EAS-HARD, with only a couple of songs left to five star on hard; all else was five star. On both platforms, I've five starred a majority of expert... then it's four stars on one tier or so and instead the three on the tier with Cult of Personality. The Slipknot song is my nemesis but the Disturbed song is my bitch. I also blow the second super long solo on Cult at some point.

On RB2, the game threw up a message telling me it's time to go to expert. I play bass expert online, mostly guitar hard online because I don't want to ruin someone's set when they pick the hardest songs. I'm good for expert unless on the hardest songs. I've got like six or seven bands that I use to run through the levels on various instruments. Drums... I play medium and have nailed what has been thrown at me. I have a feeling I'm probably between the hardest songs of medium and easier songs of hard. Vocals... not so much playtime but I don't have much probably with medium. Never tried anything else.

rjturtle9
09-27-2008, 10:45 AM
If by last two, you mean like last 5, then yeah.

i liked the last five. fun games for me.