PDA

View Full Version : The Official Metallica Death Magnetic Thread

hot_turkey_ed
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
So it's finally release day for Metallica's latest album. Who picked it up? Who is playing it on Guitar Hero? What do you all think?

Fe Maiden
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't have it yet! I've heard some very mixed reviews on it. Some think it's great and some others say it's a turd!

hot_turkey_ed
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Since Best Buy has it for 9.99, I'm going to pick it up later today on the way into San Francisco to see Nightwish. For some reason, I figured it would 14.99 or more. Maybe this is just a release day thing.

The real question is whether I like enough it to the buy the DLC for GH III.

Fe Maiden
09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Nightwish:drool: Tell us if the new CD is any good. I don't want another St. Anger experience. Some people might get hurt:eyes:

(sic)&disturbed
09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Its not another St. Anger for sure I got it today and I have to say its excellent!

ADD
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
It's my favorite studio album they've done since ...And Justice For All, so yes I think I like it better than the black album too. It's not great but it definitely has a couple really strong tunes. The songwriting is pretty mediocre but when the good riffs come they really hit (see: "All Nightmare Long"), and of course I still don't like the vocals, or the drums, or the production. Basically the highlights are the few killer riffs dispersed around the album, but hey that's better than anything they've put out in the last 20 years, besides Garage Inc which fucking rules. :2cents:

It's pretty embarrassing that in the past few years where just about every relevant and irrelevant 80's thrash band has put out an album, 'Death Magnetic' stands alone after the newest Death Angel album as the cream of the crop. How the fuck can the likes of Overkill, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, etc all have made albums that couldn't beat the new Metallica? :wtf:

DethMaiden
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm actually just not gonna listen to it I decided. Nothing excited me enough.

ChildrenofSodom
09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Same here.

mankvill
09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Sodom... couldn't beat the new Metallica?

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:: flame::flame::flame::flame:

Spiral_Slave
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
:It's pretty embarrassing that in the past few years where just about every relevant and irrelevant 80's thrash band has put out an album, 'Death Magnetic' stands alone after the newest Death Angel album as the cream of the crop. How the fuck can the likes of Overkill, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, etc all have made albums that couldn't beat the new Metallica? :wtf:

Dude, you think Death Magnetic is better than Enemy Of God and The Atrocity Exhibition? :confused:

hot_turkey_ed
09-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Dude, you think Death Magnetic is better than Enemy Of God and The Atrocity Exhibition? :confused:

Kreator's Enemy Of God rules Death Magnetic. Good call. :fist:

This might be an early venture on my part but I'd probably also place Testament's Formation Of Damnation. My first listen reaction to that album: the best Metallica album Metallica never made. :tongue:

DethMaiden
09-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Best most recent album by an old thrash band...hm.

Enemy of God by far.

JRA
09-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Me 3, but that's because I have better things to do.

ChildrenofSodom
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Me 3, but that's because I have better things to do.

Like cover my dick in habanero juice. :hecho:

Maiden33
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I will give it one or two full listens so I can accurately give a general opinion on it and discuss it, but barring a shattering revelation, I won't be listening to it from a fan perspective. I don't hold the impossible grudge many people do due to their output in the last dozen years, I just could care less about Metallica in general.
After a nearly complete listen:
Hands down the best thing they've done since The Black Album, probably Justice as well, not saying a ton there though. This album will be hailed as a return to form by every other fanboy, but it's nowhere near. This doesn't sound like old Metallica. If anything this just sounds like The Black Album but fast.

rjturtle9
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
it sounds good. i still like enemy of god more though

mankvill
09-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I like it a lot.

All Nightmare Long:eek:

Div
09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
It's my favorite studio album they've done since ...And Justice For All, so yes I think I like it better than the black album too. It's not great but it definitely has a couple really strong tunes. The songwriting is pretty mediocre but when the good riffs come they really hit (see: "All Nightmare Long"), and of course I still don't like the vocals, or the drums, or the production. Basically the highlights are the few killer riffs dispersed around the album, but hey that's better than anything they've put out in the last 20 years, besides Garage Inc which fucking rules. :2cents:

It's pretty embarrassing that in the past few years where just about every relevant and irrelevant 80's thrash band has put out an album, 'Death Magnetic' stands alone after the newest Death Angel album as the cream of the crop. How the fuck can the likes of Overkill, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, etc all have made albums that couldn't beat the new Metallica? :wtf:

bullshit, Final Sign of Evil destroys metallica. ill give you the other bands tho. just because its metallica doesnt mean they should get brownie points above less famous bands (and vice versa for a few others in this thread, it doesnt make you a cool potato to knock metallica just because theyre popular)

mankvill
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
(and vice versa for a few others in this thread, it doesnt make you a cool potato to knock Dragonforce just because theyre popular)

;)

Sinfulsot
09-14-2008, 05:08 AM
would it make you a hot potato to knock [insert popular band here] just b/c they're popular? :tongue::D

(sic)&disturbed
09-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I only care that this album is better than St. Anger! It is so I say Mission Acomplished!:party:

DethMaiden
09-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I only care that this album is better than St. Anger! It is so I say Mission Acomplished!:party:

The last time someone said Mission Accomplished without any real reason...well, you know the rest.

ChildrenofSodom
09-14-2008, 11:21 AM
would it make you a hot potato to knock [insert popular band here] just b/c they're popular? :tongue::D

You did it wrong.

Div
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
;)

i dont knock dragonforce because theyre popular, i knock them because their music sucks, their name sucks, their lyrics suck and their musical style is a cancer on metal.

rjturtle9
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
God damn i love all nightmare long!!!! it's amazing :rocker::rocker:

mankvill
09-14-2008, 01:32 PM
i dont knock dragonforce because theyre popular, i knock them because their music sucks, their name sucks, their lyrics suck and their musical style is a cancer on metal.
http://thefriendsociety.com/forum/images/smilies/wenis.gif

Go listen to boring Helloween or something.

:)

Maiden33
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
http://thefriendsociety.com/forum/images/smilies/wenis.gif

Go listen to boring Helloween or something.

:)

Yep, Dragonforce are a great interesting band but Helloween are boring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Flamsterette_X/Smileys/rollbarf1.gif
http://prng.net/work/webdav/assets/shipment-of-fail.jpg

hot_turkey_ed
09-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Dragonforce's biggest problem in the utter sameness of their music; they are the Rick Astley (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:74V8DaHUPE4J:rickrolling.blogspot.c om/+rick+astley+all+songs+sound+the+same&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=safari) of power metal.

Other than that: GREAT name.... lyrics, well most of us ignore them anyway so why single out DF

I really enjoyed DF at Ozzfest but truly hated a subsequent headlining performance in Los Angeles. I might check out their next tour because I really like the support (Turisas).

Div
09-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Yep, Dragonforce are a great interesting band but Helloween are boring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Flamsterette_X/Smileys/rollbarf1.gif
http://prng.net/work/webdav/assets/shipment-of-fail.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dragonforce's biggest problem in the utter sameness of their music; they are the Rick Astley (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:74V8DaHUPE4J:rickrolling.blogspot.c om/+rick+astley+all+songs+sound+the+same&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=safari) of power metal.

Other than that: GREAT name.... lyrics, well most of us ignore them anyway so why single out DF

I really enjoyed DF at Ozzfest but truly hated a subsequent headlining performance in Los Angeles. I might check out their next tour because I really like the support (Turisas).

and its not my intention to sound like a snob, but their lack of creativity just pisses me off. if dragonforce was a joke band who "did it for the lulz" i wouldnt say anything, but these guys actually take themselves seriously and so do the fans. their fans should be telling them to step it up or they're not gonna buy the albums anymore, but they dont. there are tons of talented, creative bands who go unsigned and yet dragonforce can keep jacking off their guitars and score cash and fame for it. thats fucked up.

[/rant] :soapbox:

Maiden33
09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and its not my intention to sound like a snob, but their lack of creativity just pisses me off. if dragonforce was a joke band who "did it for the lulz" i wouldnt say anything, but these guys actually take themselves seriously and so do the fans. their fans should be telling them to step it up or they're not gonna buy the albums anymore, but they dont. there are tons of talented, creative bands who go unsigned and yet dragonforce can keep jacking off their guitars and score cash and fame for it. thats fucked up.

[/rant] :soapbox:

Well I'd blame their fans more than them themselves. I actually think they don't take themselves nearly as seriously as most fans do. They make pretty big asses of themselves. Unfortunately people just embrace them for it.
Oh well, this Dragonforce talk should probably stop, as it's getting this thread pretty damn off-topic.

ravenheart
09-15-2008, 05:53 AM
I'll wade into this when the c*nting thing arrives. Pre-ordered it last week, still not dispatched.

But, whoever said this, and bear in mind I haven't heard it yet but expect to like it, is better than The Atrocity Exhibition, Shovel Headed Kill Machine, D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N., Immortalis, The Formation of Damnation and Enemy of God is a misguided individual.

Christ Illusion and United Abominations I'll allow.

ravenheart
09-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Something interesting to note: Death Magnetic is number 1 in the UK.

Bear in mind that albums in the UK go on sale on Monday, and sales up to the end of the day the following Saturday count towards the charts on the Sunday. Death Magnetic went on sale on Friday, and was number 1 on Sunday.

Sinfulsot
09-15-2008, 06:11 AM
You did it wrong.

then, CoS, how can i make it right?

rjturtle9
09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I'll wade into this when the c*nting thing arrives. Pre-ordered it last week, still not dispatched.

But, whoever said this, and bear in mind I haven't heard it yet but expect to like it, is better than The Atrocity Exhibition, Shovel Headed Kill Machine, D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N., Immortalis, The Formation of Damnation and Enemy of God is a misguided individual.

Christ Illusion and United Abominations I'll allow.

hey i liked Christ Illusion and United Abominations

DethMaiden
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Post-Tempo of the Damned Exodus = lame
The Formation of Damnation= lame
Immortalis = lame
Christ Illusion = lame
United Abominations = more like Musical Abortions

Enemy of God= awesome :cool:

es156
09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Immortalis = lame
United Abominations = more like Musical Abortions

Don't make me ban you.

;)

hot_turkey_ed
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't make me ban you.

;)

:mrt:

JRA
09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
People's reactions to United Abominations made me nervous. How nervous? So nervous that I preordered the thing, and they gave me a coupon to pick it up at the FYE. I did this at Gigantour in order for me to watch the band sign a lithograph or some shit of the album cover, and I still haven't picked it up. (I also think I lost both the coupon and the lithograph too).

:eyes:

es156
09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
:mrt:

:lol:

ravenheart
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Post-Tempo of the Damned Exodus = lame

These two alone require a banning.

And possibly a stoning.

Fe Maiden
09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
It's my favorite studio album they've done since ...And Justice For All, so yes I think I like it better than the black album too. It's not great but it definitely has a couple really strong tunes. The songwriting is pretty mediocre but when the good riffs come they really hit (see: "All Nightmare Long"), and of course I still don't like the vocals, or the drums, or the production. Basically the highlights are the few killer riffs dispersed around the album, but hey that's better than anything they've put out in the last 20 years, besides Garage Inc which fucking rules. :2cents:I agree sort of. From what I've heard thus far, some really otherwise good songs are ruined by poor vocals. The drumming is not really an issue for me. The production is definitely lacking.

ravenheart
09-19-2008, 12:37 AM
It finally arrived yesterday and I love it. It kind of mixes every aspect of Metallica's changing sound over the years. There's some early-style stuff in there, some Load-era, some Black Album and some St Anger.

Incidentally, I find this very interesting: http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html

And there's a patition to get it remixed: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic/sign.html

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2008, 05:59 AM
It finally arrived yesterday and I love it. It kind of mixes every aspect of Metallica's changing sound over the years. There's some early-style stuff in there, some Load-era, some Black Album and some St Anger.

Incidentally, I find this very interesting: http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html

And there's a patition to get it remixed: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic/sign.html

The clipping in this album is completely outrageous.