PDA

View Full Version : Metallica - Death Magnetic

powerslave_85
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I've had a chance to listen to the entire over the last couple of days, and I thought I'd share my opinion on it. If you're wondering right off the bat whether it's an improvement over St. Anger: Yes it is. Absolutely and unequivocally. Is it a classic in the vein of Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning? Not even close. It is, however, a generally entertaining and fun album. They sound like Metallica again, with tight, heavy riffs and yes, solos. Songs like "My Apocalypse," "All Nightmare Long," "Judas Kiss," and "That Was Just Your Life" are fast, catchy, and headbang-worthy. "All Nightmare Long" (despite its moronic title) stands out as the best on my first couple of listens: It has great riffs and a catchy chorus. "My Apocalypse" comes in second. These songs make this album worth checking out, IMO.

Sadly, there are still a lot of flaws with this record. Rick Rubin's production is great (though over compressed), but no studio wizardry can hide the fact that Lars Ulrich is still one of the worst drummers in metal. His adorable attempts at double bass could probably be outclassed by a 16 year-old drum student. Also, I don't know if drinking made James Hetfield a better musician, but the quality of his lyrics definitely nose-dived when he quit the sauce, and no where is this more evident than on this album. While I wouldn't necessarily consider any of the songs "bad," there are a bunch that are just really boring ("The Unforgiven III" and "Broken, Beaten and Scarred" come to mind). Overall, this is CERTAINLY a step in the right direction for the band. It might not become anyone's favorite Metallica record, it will definitely make most forget about St. Anger. And really, isn't that all we were hoping for?

(sic)&disturbed
09-04-2008, 01:47 AM
I read somewhere that All Nightmare Long is a semi sequal to Enter Sandman. Is that true?

Angelripper
09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
The Day That Never Comes is an awesome song.

MetalIsArt
09-15-2008, 02:20 AM
I like it, it's not their best, but far from their worst either lol.

Stand-out tracks are:

All nightmare long
The Judas kiss
The end of the line
That was just your life

The artwork sucks, the day that never comes is a mediocre copy of one, suicide & redemption is nothing special & unforgiven III should've got a different title!
8,5/10

rjturtle9
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
unforgiven III should've got a different title!

yeah. i still don't know what it has to do with the first 2

hot_turkey_ed
09-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't care for the title or artwork. What really annoys me is that lyrics get chopped in the booklet to create the hole-in-the-ground effect.

Short comings aside (which I'm personally dwelling on too much), there's a lot of fun to be in the album. That's way more important.

MetalIsArt
09-16-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't care for the title or artwork. What really annoys me is that lyrics get chopped in the booklet to create the hole-in-the-ground effect.

Short comings aside (which I'm personally dwelling on too much), there's a lot of fun to be in the album. That's way more important.

It's fun and many of the songs scream to be played live! :rocker:

TonyD
09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
In all seriousness I think I prefer St. Anger

Maiden33
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
In all seriousness I think I prefer St. Anger

I haven't been impressed with Death Magnetic, but still:
http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/archives/pictures/shipment-of-fail.jpg
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/car-crashes-into-house-roofFAIL-1.jpg
http://funnyharhar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/fail.jpg

mankvill
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I like it! It's not perfect by any means, but what's important is that it's a step in the right direction for Metallica.

TonyD
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I'd rather have a raw turd with its own distinct smell than a turd with cheese on top and wrapped in tin foil. But either way, its a turd. The real loser here isn't myself or even Metallica, but all of the dumbass fans who still buy what they are putting out simply because they put out 4 kickass albums 20 years ago.

rjturtle9
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
i think its pretty good. huge leap forward for a band that really needed it.

TonyD
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
It may be a huge leap, but its still not even close to being worth paying for. Or paying to see live for that matter

ravenheart
09-19-2008, 12:27 AM
I love it, and loved them live as well. Well worth it in every respect.

ravenheart
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
all of the dumbass fans who still buy what they are putting out simply because they put out 4 kickass albums 20 years ago.

You know that's not true. 60% of Metallica fans these days have no clue about the first four albums. They all own Metallica, Load, ReLoad and St Anger.

DreamEvil001
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
You know that's not true. 60% of Metallica fans these days have no clue about the first four albums. They all own Metallica, Load, ReLoad and St Anger.

thats not true at all, everybody loves master of puppets and at least knows about ...and justice through one

Fe Maiden
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
60% of Metallica fans these days have no clue about the first four albums.Bullshit!:flame:

TonyD
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Not true at all. The people you are talking about first buy/illegally download "the album with enter sandman", then Master of Puppets.

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I like it, it's pretty fun. I think it drags. It's just too long of an album, what with all the songs being practically 8 minutes long. While I like all the songs, I always feeling like turning it off at "The Judas Kiss" (also cause that's one of the more "ehhh" tracks on the album IMO). In other words, its good, but I wish they put more quality over quantity. So many bands do this... :(

Waycos
09-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree with most on here, it's better the St. Anger and while it's still lacking it's still a step back to the right path. My 2 biggest issues unfortunately I think will never be resolved. Lars hasn't progressed at all since the mid 80's. He's pedestrian at best and with so so many good to great drummers out in metal bands now a days you really can't ignore it. And for the love of god.. someone needs to tell James to stop "singing" and start screaming again. He's not Celine Dion or Niel Diamon. He needs to stop worrying about saving his voice (for what?) and just scream, this is a metal band, or was at least. I would probably listen to this album a few more times if not for his painful singing.

If Rubin works with them again maybe he can start with a list of words/sounds James can not make including "...eeeaaahhh". Does he really have to end every sentence with that?

SomewhereInTime72
09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcDZOaeW0sE&feature=related

I wouldn't be so sure about telling Hetfield to "scream."

JRA
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Hetfield trying to pull that off was one of the better parts of St. Anger IMO.

Maiden33
09-30-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcDZOaeW0sE&feature=related

I wouldn't be so sure about telling Hetfield to "scream."

HAHAHAHA. Oh god I forgot how hilariously awful some parts of that album are.

DethMaiden
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I like it but it's way too long. This is the best album they've done since 1988 though. I'd count it as a victory if I was them.

HandOfDoom
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I like it but it's way too long. This is the best album they've done since 1988 though. I'd count it as a victory if I was them.

Agreed

andrew_metalhead
11-09-2008, 06:32 PM

It sure is a victoy in my opinion too. I don't mind the length .. and I love the instrumental Suicide and Redemption a lot.

Fe Maiden
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I got it now and am liking it!!! Many songs sound kind of similar though. Great for long drives in the car!

overkiller
11-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow, I got fucking duped. I tried to download this album (highly dubious it's worth my $20), and it ended up being some chugga chugga Metallica-clone nonsense about Jesus. The funny thing is that I actually believed it was Death Magnetic for about 5 songs, and I was ready to name it "Turd of the Year" :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
11-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Wow, I got fucking duped. I tried to download this album (highly dubious it's worth my $20), and it ended up being some chugga chugga Metallica-clone nonsense about Jesus. The funny thing is that I actually believed it was Death Magnetic for about 5 songs, and I was ready to name it "Turd of the Year" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

overkiller
11-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok, reality check here, folks. Yeah, this album is alright. If you judge it against St. Anger, hell, it even seems great. But let's remember a few things. Since the release of the Black Album, Metallica has been marked as a band that shifts with trends to garner mainstream success. Death Magnetic is no different. The market is ripe for this kind of album right now--just take a look at what's popular. Master of Puppets-worship like recent Trivium. Middling melodeath that is rooted in 80s metal, like Arch Enemy. So although Metallica manage to vaguely imitate the Metallica of circa 20 years ago, I can't help but feel that the whole "returning to our roots" thing is just a convenient label to smack on yet another cashgrab, just like St. Anger was (being an attempt at nu-metal, it also fit right into a profitable trend of the time).

Now, as to the actual quality of the music on the album, as I said, it's alright. But the universally positive reviews it's getting (see the "Professional Reviews" sidebar on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magnetic) are somewhat puzzling to me. Allmusic.com's review says it sounds "as if it could come after ...And Justice for All". Fine. But aren't we forgetting that if it really had come out right after Justice, it would've sounded extremely familiar (excepting the modern groove etc. influences), and would seem a big step down in quality from the albums before it? Yes, Death Magnetic was a reasonably fun listen, if overlong, and the first track actually had me pumped. But I can't see myself listening to this (at least all the way through) more than once. You can get the same exact stuff in much higher quality from other bands (including Metallica themselves), without the annoying modern groove influence; the Metallica name shouldn't skew our perceptions of how worthy this album really is. I think everyone (and by that I mean mainstream music media) wanted Metallica to rehash Master of Puppets so badly, that when they finally managed to crap out something close to just such a rehash, everybody jumped on on James' and Kirk's dicks. I'll pass.

JRA
11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Now, as to the actual quality of the music on the album, as I said, it's alright. But the universally positive reviews it's getting (see the "Professional Reviews" sidebar on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magnetic) are somewhat puzzling to me. Allmusic.com's review says it sounds "as if it could come after ...And Justice for All". Fine.

It's called "wanting to get that interview with Metallica for our publication." They practically did the exact same thing for St. Anger. I would love for every magazine to give Metallica a negative review, because then, because of the obvious "you give us a good review, we'll give you an interview" business tactics, they'd have no one left to do business with because everyone thinks they suck, and Lars will have no magazine to reward for stroking his ego.

I'll probably never get this album, even if I did stick up for St. Anger. In an ironic turn of events, I'm just too butthurt to care. I'll probably get United Abominations first before ever bothering with this.

b_halperin
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
death magnetic was by no means as good or comparable to classics like ...And Justice for All and Master of Puppets. Yet, when you compare this album to St. Anger this is the best album that was ever released. St. Anger, honestly, was nothing to write home about. It was nothing interesting, no catchy choruses, and imo was the worst metallica disc ever released. Death Magnetic is no amazing album for metallica, but to all those who find st. anger better than death magnetic, play songs from each album back to back and tell me that st. anger is better. Metallica definetely is taking steps in the right direction!

Maidenmagic
06-24-2009, 07:13 PM
All nightmare long and Broken, beat, and scarred are excellent. Everything else sucks.

mankvill
06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
All nightmare long and Broken, beat, and scarred are excellent. Everything else sucks.

Nein.

1. All Nightmare Long
2. My Apocalypse
3. The Judas Kiss
4. The End Of The Line
5. The Day That Never Comes
6. The Unforgiven III
7. That Was Just Your Life
8. Cyanide
9. Broken Beat & Scarred
10. Suicide & Redemption

That's the ranking of DM songs.

Indestructible
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
death magnetic is better than the black album

Natrlhi
06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
death magnetic is better than the black album

Incorrect.

Nein.

1. All Nightmare Long
2. My Apocalypse
3. The Judas Kiss
4. The End Of The Line
5. The Day That Never Comes
6. The Unforgiven III
7. That Was Just Your Life
8. Cyanide
9. Broken Beat & Scarred
10. Suicide & Redemption

That's the ranking of DM songs.

Correct (or close enough).

nxtVH90
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
It's a solid record. But it can get old relatively quickly. I think that the best songs are That Was Just Your Life and Broken, Beat & Scarred. Other than that, much of the stuff can get old relatively quickly. But still, it's a step in the right direction.