PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

(sic)&disturbed
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
OK I am going on 30 years old and I have to admit I know nothing of Judas Priest can someone please help me find some "good" songs to try out. I do know "You Got Another Thing Coming" but that is about it! So any recomendations will be appreciated. And please dont make fun of me. You guys have helped me without your knowledge about Iron Maiden whom I grew up very afraid of. Its long story if you want to hear it just ask and I will tell but I am not giving it up willingly!:confused:

Div
09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd say make your first purchase either Painkiller or Screaming for Vengence.

hot_turkey_ed
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Buy British Steel. :2cents:

SirLardsAlot
09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Depends on what kinda of stuff appeals to you the most, because their sounds changes very much throughout the years.

Now, if you're looking for just a good solid album to start with, I'd say go with Screaming for Vengeance.

However, if you download music, let me recommend to you a song from each album (well, I own most of their albums). I'll either pick what I think is the best song, or what song I think best represents the album as a whole, so you can get a feel for it.

Album - Song

Rocka Rolla - Don't have, can't make recommendation.
Sad Wings of Destiny - Victim of Changes
Sin After Sin - Sinner
Stained Class - Exciter
Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather - Delivering the Goods
British Steel - Breaking the Law
Point of Entry - Heading Out to the Highway
Screaming for Vengeance - Devil's Child
Defenders of the Faith - The Sentinel
Turbo - - Don't have, can't make recommendation.
Ram It Down - Don't have, can't make recommendation.
Painkiller - Hell Patrol
Jugulator - Don't have, can't make recommendation.
Demolition - - Don't have, can't make recommendation.
Angel of Retribution - Judas Rising
Nostradamus - Eh, to be honest, I didn't even listen to the whole thing, I really wasn't impressed. However, the title track is pretty sweet.

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

mankvill
09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
If you can, find the "73 - 93" 2 disc "Best Of" collection. i got it and it's absolutely perfect.

(sic)&disturbed
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
SirLardsAlot - I am putting all the songs you have recomended on my iPod and will let you know what I think when I finish listening to them thanks for all the input and I will keep my eye out for the Greatest Hits disk!:horns:

SirLardsAlot
09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
SirLardsAlot - I am putting all the songs you have recomended on my iPod and will let you know what I think when I finish listening to them thanks for all the input and I will keep my eye out for the Greatest Hits disk!:horns:Cool, hope you enjoy them :D

That 73-93 great hits disc is called "Metal Works: '73-'93" just so you know.

:party:

Div
09-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Yea do NOT get Nostradamus for an introduction on Priest, that album was fucking weak.

JRA
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Yea do NOT get Nostradamus for an introduction on Priest, that album was fucking weak.

I would not call that album weak, but if you're a n00b to Priest, don't start there.

Out of couriosity, by "good songs" do you mean songs that we're radio hits or sound like they could be radio hits?

(sic)&disturbed
09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Actually I am the kind that prefer songs that cant or wont be played on the radio for some reason or another!:rocker:

DethMaiden
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
The problem here is not that you're thirty and you haven't listened to Priest; it's that you're thirty and you have listened to Slipknot.

ChildrenofSodom
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Turbo was their greatest work, everyone here would agree. Go buy that first.

SomewhereInTime72
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
British Steel is a good first Priest album, it's got a lot of Priest classics and is just a good way to get into their sound. Their earlier material is better though, IMO. So you should also be sure to check out Sad Wings of Destiny. :D

hot_turkey_ed
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
The problem here is not that you're thirty and you haven't listened to Priest; it's that you're thirty and you have listened to Slipknot.

ZZZZZINNNGGGG! :whipped:

HOWEVER...... s&d is not the only one over 30 who has listened to Slipknot. Far from one of my favorites, Slipknot does creative things here and there. I'd glad Slipknot do what they do. :2cents:

jerry1013
09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Buy British Steel. :2cents:

yeah what he said

and dont by nostradamus it sucks

JRA
09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Actually I am the kind that prefer songs that cant or wont be played on the radio for some reason or another!:rocker:

I would say Unleashed In The East then. or Painkiller.

(sic)&disturbed
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
So far I like Painkiller the best! Devils Child is second!

rjturtle9
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I'd glad Slipknot do what they do. :2cents:

:party::light:

Div
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd glad Slipknot do what they do. :2cents:

im glad the whiney 13 year old goth kids are wearing slipknot shirts instead of iron maiden ones, so i guess slipknot does us a favor.

Sinfulsot
09-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Along with British Steel, Unleashed in the East, the remastered version, with the extra tracks, is definitely a great start.

to fill in some of the blanks from SirLards' list (plus a few recommendations of my own)...

Note: right off the bat, i never really listened to any of the Ripper years releases and cannot comment on them.

what SirLards doesn't have:
Rocka Rolla - Cheater, the title track (although the way halford sings it, you can almost hear him kicking out the closet door)
Turbo - Out in the Cold (radio), Turbo Lover, Hot For Love
Ram It Down - title track, Hard as Iron

In addition to SirLards' recommendations:

Sad Wings of Destiny - Genocide, The Ripper
Sin After Sin - Dissident (fucking) Aggressor, Diamonds & Rust
Stained Class - Savage, Better By You Better Than Me, Beyond the Realms of Death
Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather - title track, Running Wild
British Steel - Rapid Fire
Point of Entry - Desert Plains, and b/c they made a video of it: Hot Rockin'
Screaming for Vengeance - Ridin' on the Wind
Defenders of the Faith - Jawbreaker, Rock Hard Ride Free
Painkiller - One Shot at Glory, Between the Hammer & the Anvil
Angel of Retribution - Revolution, Demonizer

Nostradamus - this release has grown on me, plus i have low expectations (works great for flicker shows), so i am easily pleased on many levels.

rjturtle9
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
im glad the whiney 13 year old goth kids are wearing slipknot shirts instead of iron maiden ones, so i guess slipknot does us a favor.

i like slipknot, but it is more likely i could be found wearing an iron maiden shirt then a slipknot one. yeah i don't like the typical emo slipknot fan. they just give us true fans a bad image

ChildrenofSodom
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
'True' should never be uttered in the same breath as Slipknot. Sorry.

rjturtle9
09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
'True' should never be uttered in the same breath as Slipknot. Sorry.

when i mean true fans i mean true metal heads in general. yes i like slipknot, but they are far from my favorite band.

(sic)&disturbed
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes Slipknot are one of my favorite bands I am not ashamed to admit it. If you dont like them that is your perogative. As for Priest which this thread was started for I am very glad that you guys gave me some great recomendations I have put a lot of the songs on my iPod and I have to admit I am not disapointed so thanks again for all your help.