PDA

View Full Version : Metallica's New Single Is Here!

mankvill
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Windows Media (mms://wm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/Track04.asf)

Real Media (rtsp://rm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/Track04.rm)

Myspace (www.myspace.com/metallica)

Listening....NOW

mankvill
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Still listening.

Kinda skeptical at first, but it really kicks up around 5 they sound like...Iron Maiden a bit? :eek:

Me likey.

rjturtle9
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
they tried to go for the fade to black, sanitarium type song, but failed haha

the last part of the song sounds pretty good to me though :eyes:

cradle_of_maiden
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
This song is crap. At least Megadeth is still thrash.

powerslave_85
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't hate it, that's for sure. The quality of the file was dreadful, though.

rjturtle9
08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I didn't hate it, that's for sure. The quality of the file was dreadful, though.

go listen on their myspace then. sounds good there

SomewhereInTime72
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I thought the first part of the song was alright, but when it got heavy it was pretty lame. Then suddenly the instrumental ending hit me. Very cool, and full of old-school Metallica energy. Miles ahead of St.Anger for sure. Except for the great ending, the song was pretty meh though.

ADD
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Definitely listenable. The vocals are still annoying and so is the drumming, but pretty good song overall. Bitchin heavy riff :rocker:

ADD
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
This song is crap. At least Megadeth is still thrash.
:lol: Megadeth are no more thrash than Testament are these days, who themselves are no more thrash than Trivium.

SirLardsAlot
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
:lol: Megadeth are no more thrash than Testament are these days, who themselves are no more thrash than Trivium.

The Jonas Brothers are more thrash then Trivium.

Anyway ... James sounds like Weird Al in this song .... and the music is very boring. However, it's not bad when it picks up, the harmony is pretty nice and the solos ain't too bad.

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Thats a big "welllllll....."

Zeltar
08-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I really like it.:rocker:

ravenheart
08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

You've not heard The Formation of Damnation, then?

Benjamin Breeg
08-21-2008, 07:48 PM
It's ok, nothing great.
I thought Cyanide was better than this song :confused:

rjturtle9
08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
The Jonas Brothers are more thrash then Trivium.

WOW i get then insult at trivium, but damn, i'd rather listen to the trivium's whole discography then listen to one Jonas Brothers album. i absolutely hate the Jonas Brothers!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

hot_turkey_ed
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Discussing, hell even MENTIONING the Jonai on a metal site... :nonono:

Next you fuckers will be doing Miley vs Selena & Demi comparisons vs whoever.... :ugly:

Metallica's new single isn't bad... it has its moments.... I don't know... Personally, I'm finding it very difficult to get into anything Metallica right now. I'm just not excited about this band anymore. I wouldn't care one bit if they retired with James transitioning into his future career in country music.

Maiden33
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Personally, I'm finding it very difficult to get into anything Metallica right now. I'm just not excited about this band anymore. I wouldn't care one bit if they retired

THANK YOU. My thoughts exactly. And I'm only young, I can only imagine how I'd feel if I were 10 or 20 years older.

ravenheart
08-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Not liking Metallica these days is like some kind of indicator that a metal fan knows their stuff. It's weird, frankly.

jaysadler2
08-22-2008, 01:19 AM
first listen ok, next listen a bit better.
I hope this isnt gonna be the best song on the album, dunno why they decided to release this as the single.

Good intro, structure kinda like fade to black.
More harmonised guitar solos-very maiden like
But a massive improvement on st anger!!!

Overall- 7.5/10 (mostly effort)

:rocker:

jaysadler2
08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
also dunno why people are kinda slagging off metallica....

i know ur entitled to your opinnion.....

but if u r a fan of metal music....u would still show metallica some respect 4 what they done in the 80s/early 90s

ravenheart
08-22-2008, 02:20 AM
I don't think what they've done in any previous year/decade should dictate any pre-conceived opinions on their new music.

Listen to it for what it is, a new metal song. And judge it on that basis as well.

hot_turkey_ed
08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
also dunno why people are kinda slagging off metallica....

i know ur entitled to your opinnion.....

but if u r a fan of metal music....u would still show metallica some respect 4 what they done in the 80s/early 90s

Overall- 7.5/10 (mostly effort)

:rocker:

7.5 on effort. We're talking about fucking Metallica here! Rating a Metallica on EFFORT?

:wtf:

To your point: Metallica is an easy target because of almost everything they've produced since Load. I often hear people -- including a lot of bands on stage -- very respectfully talk about "Metallica-Back-In-The-Day", not so much about Post Black (for many) or Post Load (for me) Metallica. Everyone has their reasons for the slag. Personally, I skipped music in the 90s and missed most of Metallica's greatest sins firsthand, so I don't carry that baggage. That's like going from Justice in college straight to the St Anger. The Permanent Record contains my experiences of four St Anger concerts, and Metallica got a lot of respect in each. My first Metallica concert in Oakland is always going to be one of my favorite metal memories.

Those shows were over four years ago, and a lot of metal has passed my way since then. Maybe Metallica has been away so long that I've stopped caring. I don't know. Part of me doesn't 'believe' them anymore, not the way I believe Steve Harris on stage during a Maiden show. About St Anger, Lars said something about making aggressive music without the negativity. Was I alone in thinking "FUCK YOU, LARS!"? I'm just not buying it anymore at least the same way I once did.

ravenheart
08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Not alone, because clearly a lot of people went the same way. But not me. I like St Anger. A lot. And Load. ReLoad is a weaker version of Load, but still not bad.

People who listened to those albums and just don't like them, fine. But I know that's not the case for a lot of people. All the ones who stopped listening to them because they made a video for 'One'. All the ones that stopped listening because they stopped making thrash metal for a while. All the ones who just jump on board and bash them becaue it seems to be the cool thing to do to prove you know something about metal (not exclusive to Metallica, bashing the popular thing is a way to prove your own knowledge across the board).

For me I just listen to the new music and decide on an album by album basis whether or not I like it. I don't dismiss a record because of the name on the front. Yes, if I liked a band's last album I'm more likely to make an effort to hear the new one compared to a band I previously didn't enjoy, but I will try new efforts by bands I don't like, in case they have changed something. I like finding new music. I certainly don't want to hear the same thing all the time and just stick to the little circle of bands I already know I like and won't let me down. Else I'd be a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or something.

mankvill
08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I like St Anger. A lot.

Damn, you are an extreme minority. :lol:

DethMaiden
08-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I have no opinion about this song. It exists. It's better than I would have expected, but I don't love it. This album will be not shitty but by no stretch of the imagination great.

Maiden33
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Not alone, because clearly a lot of people went the same way. But not me. I like St Anger. A lot. And Load. ReLoad is a weaker version of Load, but still not bad.

People who listened to those albums and just don't like them, fine. But I know that's not the case for a lot of people. All the ones who stopped listening to them because they made a video for 'One'. All the ones that stopped listening because they stopped making thrash metal for a while. All the ones who just jump on board and bash them becaue it seems to be the cool thing to do to prove you know something about metal (not exclusive to Metallica, bashing the popular thing is a way to prove your own knowledge across the board).

For me I just listen to the new music and decide on an album by album basis whether or not I like it. I don't dismiss a record because of the name on the front. Yes, if I liked a band's last album I'm more likely to make an effort to hear the new one compared to a band I previously didn't enjoy, but I will try new efforts by bands I don't like, in case they have changed something. I like finding new music. I certainly don't want to hear the same thing all the time and just stick to the little circle of bands I already know I like and won't let me down. Else I'd be a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or something.

I actually really agree with a lot of what you're saying. Somehow I still just don't really care much about Metallica. It's weird, and I can't explain it.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I have no opinion about this song. It exists.

Yeah, same. I listened, and... then listened to something else.

JRA
08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Not liking Metallica these days is like some kind of indicator that a metal fan knows their stuff. It's weird, frankly.

Not necessarily that they know their stuff, but that they have standards. ;)

rjturtle9
08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
idk. i pretty much gave up on metallica too, but after ozzfest, i really got into this band again. their performance was really good. i just hope they can do something with the new album

ravenheart
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Not necessarily that they know their stuff, but that they have standards. ;)

Well, they have someone else's... like all pop fans... ;)

hot_turkey_ed
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, same. I listened, and... then listened to something else.

:ecw:

:cool:

Electric/Funeral55
08-22-2008, 10:45 PM
It's not bad but it is far from being the best. A HUGE STEP FOR THEM SINCE ST. ANGER :party:. As a fan of Metallica and I hope that is it safe to say that from what I have heard. There are some ass kickers on the way as the release date comes closer.

Wrathchild_84
08-22-2008, 11:34 PM
All I can say is meh

Fe Maiden
08-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Metallica's new single isn't bad... it has its moments.... I don't know... Personally, I'm finding it very difficult to get into anything Metallica right now. I'm just not excited about this band anymore.I agree, although it's pretty good from the 4 min. mark or so on. After seeing the greatness of Maiden on the last couple of tours it really made me realize how sub-par Metallica have become since the Black album.:allan:

hot_turkey_ed
08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
After seeing the greatness of Maiden on the last couple of tours it really made me realize how sub-par Metallica have become since the Black album.:allan:

Metallica did some nice things on their last tour (i.e. the Blackened nuke, pyro for One, even for Fuel... changing set lists... livebootss=) but the recent Maiden tour blow EVERYTHING out of my metal waters.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Metallica did some nice things on their last tour (i.e. the Blackened nuke, pyro for One, even for Fuel... changing set lists... livebootss=) but the recent Maiden tour blow EVERYTHING out of my metal waters.

I wish I would've made the trip to see Maiden on their last tour. :(

mankvill
08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Another new one: My Apocalypse, the last song on the album. thanks, blabbermouth!

Windows Media (mms://wm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.wma)

Real Media (rtsp://rm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.rm)

Quicktime (rtsp://rm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.mov)

Listening....AFTER JOURNEY

strangers
waiting
walking the BOULEVAAARRRDD

mankvill
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
New one is better, maybe the best I've heard of the new stuff.

I'd rank them:

1. My Apocalypse
2. Cyanide
3. The Day That Never Comes

rjturtle9
08-26-2008, 06:31 AM
wow that song is pretty good. i'm impressed :horns:

powerslave_85
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
"My Apocalypse" is...pretty fucking cool, actually.

Fe Maiden
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Another new one: My Apocalypse, the last song on the album. thanks, blabbermouth!

Windows Media (mms://wm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.wma)

Real Media (rtsp://rm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.rm)

Quicktime (rtsp://rm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/de/My_Apocalypse.mov)

Listening....AFTER JOURNEY

strangers
waiting
walking the BOULEVAAARRRDDHas kind of a Slayer sound to it:eyes:

Zeltar
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Has kind of a Slayer sound to it:eyes:

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

SomewhereInTime72
08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
My Apocalypse is alright too.

JRA
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Has kind of a Slayer sound to it:eyes:

They noticed that on the Metal Sludge boards too.

maidenpriest
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
best metallica song in a long time! love the speed, riffing and the solo. this song better be on the tour. october 21st!!! :rocker:

mankvill
09-01-2008, 09:43 PM
And last but not least:

Cyanide, studio version.

http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601167

:D

(sic)&disturbed
09-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Video for The Day That Never Comes
http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601171

SomewhereInTime72
09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
And last but not least:

Cyanide, studio version.

http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601167

:D

MORE LIKE LEAST BUT NOT LAST MANKVILL.

mankvill
09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
MORE LIKE LEAST BUT NOT LAST MANKVILL.

:flame:

rjturtle9
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM

it's cool, i just thought they could have done better with the whole last scene. like a battle or something between the solders.