PDA

View Full Version : Hallowed, RTTH, and NOTB

DethMaiden
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Okay, I've been thinking lately that I do a lot of my thinking when it comes to bands and music in terms of Iron Maiden. I almost find it hard to judge some bands objectively because I find myself just comparing their music or shows to the "Maiden equivalent".

Anyway, I've been thinking that when it comes to live setlists, most bands play "their Hallowed", "their Run to the Hills", and "their Number of the Beast". To me this basically means they're gonna play (toward the end of the set or in the encore, usually) their biggest hit (RTTH), their emotional high water mark, generally a longer song (Hallowed), and the song that may not have been a huge hit but is very indicative of the band's sound and has become a live staple (NOTB).

Take Flogging Molly's encore, for example: "The Seven Deadly Sins"=RTTH, "Black Friday Rule"=Hallowed, and "What's Left of the Flag"=NOTB. Or the majority of Priest sets: "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"=RTTH, "Beyond the Realms of Death"=Hallowed, and "Breaking the Law"=NOTB.

Am I just a crazed Maiden fanboy or is there something to this, and does anyone else think this way?

mankvill
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I think lotsa people must think that!

Raining Blood - RTTH
Angel Of Death - NOTB
Seasons In The Abyss - Hallowed

Very intersting. Excuse me while I go back through all the setlists I've posted to find these songs. :lol:

JRA
07-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Am I just a crazed Maiden fanboy or is there something to this, and does anyone else think this way?

You are a crazed Maiden fanboy and this is the most absurd thing I've ever heard you come up with. :D

ravenheart
07-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Every band with no balls does this.

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Kittie?

DethMaiden
07-31-2008, 09:15 AM

This might be a realistic argument, but anytime I'm seeing a band for the first time, I want to hear "their Hallowed, RTTH, and NOTB", and bands should never assume that their whole audience has seen them before. So with bands this formula actually works with (I'd say Opeth, for example, couldn't really do it), they should keep to the code.

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
And assuming the only reason the majority of the seats have asses in them is because people out there like your 'popular' stuff, then why change it around?

Fe Maiden
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, interesting way of looking at other band's sets.

Since I'm seeing the Scorpions in 3 days I'll give it try for them.

Rock You Like a Hurricane = RTTH

The Zoo = HBTN

Blackout = NOTB

DethMaiden
07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
And assuming the only reason the majority of the seats have asses in them is because people out there like your 'popular' stuff, then why change it around?

There's no reason a set shouldn't contain deep album cuts and stuff that's never been played live before---matter of fact, it should. But give everybody three songs they're gonna know, the HBTN, NOTB, and RTTH of the catalog.

JRA
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
The Zoo = HBTN

Blackout = NOTB

You sure you don't mean "Still Loving You" and "Big City Nights," respectively?

SomewhereInTime72
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Victim of Changes is most certainly Priest's HBTN. :hmm:

DethMaiden
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Victim of Changes is most certainly Priest's HBTN. :hmm:

Well, they aren't playing that or Realms, so let's agree to be disappointed. ;)

ravenheart
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
This might be a realistic argument, but anytime I'm seeing a band for the first time, I want to hear "their Hallowed, RTTH, and NOTB", and bands should never assume that their whole audience has seen them before. So with bands this formula actually works with (I'd say Opeth, for example, couldn't really do it), they should keep to the code.

I don't think bands, of an age, should be pandering to fans like that. I saw Ozzy for the first time ever last year and was bored by his set because it was wall-to-wall obvious songs. If I'd gone along and he hadn't played Paranoid, Crazy Train and Mr Crowley I'd have left happier.

Iron Maiden should not be playing Beast, Hills and Hallowed every night. Accept the fact that whenever you play you aren't going to play everyone's favourite song and just change it up.

The Black Crowes have more hit singles than Iron Maiden. It might be weeks between them appearing in setlists.

Like I said, bands with no balls play the same songs every tour. They're too scared that if they show a bit of character and play other things from their catalogue the fans won't like them anymore. Let's face it, how many Maiden fans are going to not go to their first Maiden gig because on other dates of the tour so far they haven't played Beast? They'll go anyway. We all know they will.

JRA
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Iron Maiden should not be playing Beast, Hills and Hallowed every night. Accept the fact that whenever you play you aren't going to play everyone's favourite song and just change it up.

I will say that the only time I saw Maiden, they didn't play Wrathchild, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and technically I missed Run To The Hills because my friend didn't want to get stuck in traffic.

DethMaiden
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't think bands, of an age, should be pandering to fans like that. I saw Ozzy for the first time ever last year and was bored by his set because it was wall-to-wall obvious songs. If I'd gone along and he hadn't played Paranoid, Crazy Train and Mr Crowley I'd have left happier.

The Black Crowes have more hit singles than Iron Maiden. It might be weeks between them appearing in setlists.

Like I said, bands with no balls play the same songs every tour. They're too scared that if they show a bit of character and play other things from their catalogue the fans won't like them anymore. Let's face it, how many Maiden fans are going to not go to their first Maiden gig because on other dates of the tour so far they haven't played Beast? They'll go anyway. We all know they will.

But I don't see how a nice staple three songs is a big deal. Of course I don't want a Greatest Hits set every time I see a band, but I could see those three songs (or, well, pick three for any band that meet the same criteria) and never get tired of them.

Div
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't care about the other two songs, but I'd be pretty pissed off if the show didn't close with Hallowed.

mankvill
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
I'd rather hear The Trooper than RTTH

DethMaiden
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I'd rather hear The Trooper than RTTH

Well...yeah. Haha. I didn't really think about the Trooper but RTTH is arguably a bigger hit, therefore more likely to be a staple. Plus you're fucking up the entire premise of the thread with your dissent, so shhhhhhh...;)

rjturtle9
07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
i think it wouldn't be so bad if the three staples weren't on the same album...

zgodt
07-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Well...yeah. Haha. I didn't really think about the Trooper but RTTH is arguably a bigger hit, therefore more likely to be a staple. Plus you're fucking up the entire premise of the thread with your dissent, so shhhhhhh...;)

Of course, they play The Trooper every show too. And Iron Maiden. And Fear of the Dark.

And 6 songs off their new album.

Which leaves almost no time in their 90-minutes-max set for cool/unusual tracks from their back catalog.

That's what makes their set lists sorta chickenshit.

rjturtle9
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Of course, they play The Trooper every show too. And Iron Maiden. And Fear of the Dark.

And 6 songs off their new album.

Which leaves almost no time in their 90-minutes-max set for cool/unusual tracks from their back catalog.

That's what makes their set lists sorta chickenshit.

yeah i noticed that too. sucks, but oh well

Fe Maiden
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
You sure you don't mean "Still Loving You" and "Big City Nights," respectively?No because SLY is a radio friendly ballad and not as "epic" as The Zoo. BCN is also a bit too radio friendly to be the equivalent of NOTB:allan:

JRA
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
No because SLY is a radio friendly ballad and not as "epic" as The Zoo. BCN is also a bit too radio friendly to be the equivalent of NOTB:allan:

But its an "epic" radio friendly ballad. :D

Fe Maiden
08-03-2008, 06:52 AM
But its an "epic" radio friendly ballad. :DTrue, it is one of the best rock ballads!