PDA

View Full Version : Opeth - Watershed

zgodt
07-17-2008, 08:32 PM
By most standards, its a decent album. By Opeth standards, a grave disappointment.

Consider: there's not a single riff on the album as good as, say, the outro riff of Harlequin Forest from Ghost Reveries. And Harlequin Forest is no better than the 5th best song on Ghost Reveries. And Ghost Reveries is not as good as, say, Deliverance or Blackwater Park... you see where I'm going with this...

It's good, well-made metal. But for Opeth, it's surprisingly conventional on the whole. It has its moments, of course. None of it's bad. And these are first impressions (bought the album today, on my 3rd listen now). So maybe it will grow on me... but it seems to be lacking in spirit. Too safe, and too slow, and too pretty for Opeth.

What ya'll think?

powerslave_85
07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I honestly didn't find myself listening to it much beyond the first few times. I think you're right in saying it's a little too safe. Other than "Heir Apparent," which is probably the heaviest thing they've ever done, it treads the usual ground in the usual way. It'll probably still make my year-end list, but that's because there hasn't been a whole lot this year to get excited about.

Derelict
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Good album, but I can't say I would put Watershed in front of any other Opeth album.

DethMaiden
07-18-2008, 04:05 AM
I liked it a lot, honestly, but I appreciate the swing toward the mellower stuff that it demonstrates on the whole. I loved Damnation and Ghost Reveries, and this feels like a marriage of the two.

SomewhereInTime72
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
I actually like it a shitload more than Ghost Reveries. It probably wont be album of the year or anything, but it'll still rank high. Everything through "Burden" is perfect, but the last two songs drag a little bit. It's still all good though.

Edit: By "Burden" I meant "Porcelain Heart", got the track order a bit confused.

DethMaiden
07-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Album of the year is looking doubtful for me too, what with the Fleet Foxes album raping and pillaging everything else I hear. :D

ADD
07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Didn't really like it, but I think its just cuz I don't dig their style anymore. If they played more 'Damnation' style music I'd listen again though.

crimsonslaughterpark
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I am a big fan of opeth but there albums always seem to take a while to grow on me. This album is no exception. I am not too big into this ablum. I think its one of there middle of the pack albums. Solid.

andrew_metalhead
11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Good album. I love Lotus eater specially. The song was pure fun when I saw them playing it live.

SomewhereInTime72
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
This album has actually grown on me massively since then, and might actually end up being my album of the year. I absofuckinglutely love Burden.

DethMaiden
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
It's in fifth for me right now. I got to thinking earlier about how while albums that are unlike anything I've heard are taking my top spots, much of my list is filled in by bands I'm intimately familiar with who put out albums that sound like them, but with a few new subtle nuances. Amon Amarth and Opeth are certainly among these.

overkiller
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad :D), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.

TonyD
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
I prefer Ghost Reveries as a whole, but Watershed has some great songs on it. Namely The Lotus Eater.

DethMaiden
11-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad :D), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.

:D If you rank this album higher than me, I will shit my pants.

JRA
11-27-2008, 08:57 AM

To bad Hell only freezes over when I decide to get Operation: Mindcrime. :D

DethMaiden
11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations? :snivel:

JRA
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations? :snivel:

Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching. :D

SomewhereInTime72
11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching. :D

I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.

JRA
11-30-2008, 07:29 AM
I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.

Well he did mention his love for Cleveland Steamers at one point. :D

b_halperin
01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
ive never liked opeth at all for some reason.. do u people consider them metal??

SomewhereInTime72
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
ive never liked opeth at all for some reason.. do u people consider them metal??

How could they possibly not be metal? :eyes:

b_halperin
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
they dont sound metal..like not at all

overkiller
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
they dont sound metal..like not at all

???

Have you listened to them?

b_halperin
01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
???

Have you listened to them?

yess quite a bit actually

b_halperin
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
ok i admit the lotus eater is metal but not much else

overkiller
yess quite a bit actually

And what leads you to the conclusion that they don't sound like metal?

b_halperin
And what leads you to the conclusion that they don't sound like metal?

whenever i hear a clip or somebody showing me them its usually like slow acoustic.

overkiller
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
whenever i hear a clip or somebody showing me them its usually like slow acoustic.

Okay, but that's only one aspect to their music. Try listening to pretty much anything off of Deliverance, you'll probably change your mind.

b_halperin
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Okay, but that's only one aspect to their music. Try listening to pretty much anything off of Deliverance, you'll probably change your mind.

ok ok one of the few times ill admit my complete utter wrongness. hahaha well i guess i judged them too instantly and right now im listening to the iTunes previews headbanging lmao.

Thanks

TonyD
01-23-2009, 01:59 AM
:eyes:

b_halperin
01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
:eyes:

:finger:

TonyD
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
:finger:

Oh no, you thought Opeth wasn't metal less than 24 hours ago.

Damion13
01-25-2009, 05:56 AM
I have to agree with ya, Opeth is absolutely amazing. And Watershed is no exception, Watershed is great, it's just others like Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries (in that order) are better.

Also agree with Dethmaiden, This is a great mix of melody and metal.

SomewhereInTime72
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Ghost Reveries ... are better.

:lol: :lol:

DethMaiden
01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
:lol: :lol:

I definitely prefer Ghost Reveries to Watershed. In fact, it's probably my second favorite Opeth disc after Blackwater Park.

SomewhereInTime72
01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I definitely prefer Ghost Reveries to Watershed. In fact, it's probably my second favorite Opeth disc after Blackwater Park.

You're insane. Aside from Ghost of Perdition being completely fucking awesome. Ghost Reveries was a very mediocre Opeth release.

GWAR654
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
i cannot stand opeth for some reason.

TonyD
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Because you listen to too much Gwar?

GWAR654
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Because you listen to too much Gwar?

that could be it :D GWAR is amazing though, you have to admit

HollowShell
07-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Not a favorite Opeth release. It does have it's moments but overall it is not as good as any of their previous material.

TonyD
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Not a favorite Opeth release. It does have it's moments but overall it is not as good as any of their previous material.

This is you
http://www.jlg365.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dro.jpg

daimonos
07-03-2010, 05:41 AM
I still love it and think it's a fucking masterpiece, even though it's not my favorite album by them.

Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel, and Lotus Eater? Sounds good to me.

HollowShell
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Is it?

RustinPeace1113
08-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Better than Ghost Reveries. There's NO middle ground, either I'm bored out of my mind or head-banging.

SomewhereInTime72
08-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Better than Ghost Reveries. There's NO middle ground, either I'm bored out of my mind or head-banging.

Are you trying to tell me that Burden isn't the best Opeth song in years? :bouville:

DethMaiden
08-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Are you trying to tell me that Burden isn't the best Opeth song in years? :bouville:

1. How many years?

2. Ghost of Perdition > Burden :nutkick:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
2. Ghost of Perdition > Burden

The Lotus Eater is up there, but Ghost of Perdition is one of their best songs, period.

daimonos
08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I have to pick Ghost Reveries over Watershed. Here's my arguement:

1. Ghost Reveries has "Ghost of Perdition", "The Baying of the Hounds", "Beneath the Mire", "Harlequin Forest", and "The Grand Conjuration". Watershed has "Heir Apparent", "The Lotus Eater", and "Hessian Peel". So, the 'regular' Opeth songs on Ghost Reveries > Watershed.

2. Ghost Reveries has "Atonement", "Hours of Wealth", and "Isolation Years". Some people may find them boring, but as a huge Opeth fan, I find them all to be absolutely beautiful. Watershed has "Coil", "Burden", "Porcelain Heart", and "Hex Omega" as the 'slower' Opeth songs. I find "Burden" and "Porcelain Heart" to be the weakest section of the CD. These songs on Watershed definitely aren't their best, but they're still great.

3. Ghost Reveries flows better as an album. It is a journey. While I think Watershed is an excellent album, as an album, it just feels like there is something missing. I think drags a little bit, towards the middle. Then "Hessian Peel" comes and blows everything away, but then "Hex Omega" is up, and the album just ends.

4. Then again, every single Opeth album is a fucking masterpiece, so what's the point of arguing? :lol:

Derelict
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Just popped on Ghost of Perdition....the part from 4:08 to 7:00 is so fucking good.

SomewhereInTime72
08-15-2010, 11:53 AM
1. How many years?

2. Ghost of Perdition > Burden :nutkick:

1. Possibly since BWP, though it would be a tough question to think about specifically.

2. Both are the best song on their album IMO, but Burden wins by a hair. ;)

DethMaiden
08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Alright, well, you're a goofball, because the following post-BWP songs are better than Burden (though it is awesome): Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, Windowpane, Ghost of Perdition, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, The Lotus Eater.

zgodt
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Huh. I think Burden is kinda mediocre. It's a conventional metal ballad, until the wacky detuning arpeggio stuff at the end. One of my least favorite tracks on Watershed.

Whereas I'd say "Ghost of Perdition", "Baying of the Hounds", and "The Grand Conjuration" are some of the best metal songs I've heard; definitely as good as anything Opeth have ever done.