PDA

View Full Version : So I kinda want to do a virtual show soon...

JRA
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
But I don't know when or who.

Last time I did Rush, but that was before Snakes & Arrows came out, so I guess I could do my own spin on that one, but I'd rather do a different band.

PowerMaiden already did Maiden, so I'm not too keen on that.

I'm actually leaning heavily towards Gamma Ray. No, I don't own everything by them, but enough people here like them to warrant something like that, but it would be an "evening with" show since there aren't really any bands "lesser-known" then them.

Thoughts?

ravenheart
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Sorry, a what?

SirLardsAlot
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
For those of you who don't know what virtual shows are, check out PowerMaiden's last one: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=7700

ravenheart
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I see...

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I am so confused....

rjturtle9
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
i suggest a metal masters one. just a thought

JRA
07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
i suggest a metal masters one. just a thought

I was thinking about that too. and hell I could just have Gamma Ray, Overkill or Death take the place of Testament.

ravenheart
07-17-2008, 01:53 AM
I was thinking about that too. and hell I could just have Gamma Ray, Overkill or Death take the place of Testament.

Wait... you don't own any Testament? You are incomplete, sir.

SomewhereInTime72
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Yeah, but those 3 bands are cooler than Testament anyway, so it is kinda a sick idea. :horns:

ravenheart
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but those 3 bands are cooler than Testament anyway, so it is kinda a sick idea. :horns:

None are cooler than Testament. Well, maybe Overkill. :finger:

rjturtle9
07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
i don't think messing with the line up is a good idea. leave testament in there even if ur not a big fan. have other people suggest songs. u just can't leave out testament

JRA
07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
i don't think messing with the line up is a good idea. leave testament in there even if ur not a big fan. have other people suggest songs. u just can't leave out testament

Did you not hear what the guy said? I don't own any Testament!

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=246#147

This guy didn't help matters much. I don't take his shit so much as gospel anymore, but I'm not that interested in Testament.

rjturtle9
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
well idk. just an idea

Div
07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
unfortunately i dont think theres enough motorhead fans on here for this to get alot of posters.

JRA
07-18-2008, 02:35 PM
unfortunately i dont think theres enough motorhead fans on here for this to get alot of posters.

Yea, maybe you, me, overkiller (though he never bothers with these things), ADD.

Besides that, I tallied up the time of all 4 bands on iTunes: 5 hours. and that's without set breaks or anything. Yea...maybe in real life, but on the internet, thanks but no thanks. So I might as well drop Motorhead all together.

Still, even without Lemmy, its just over 4 hours. I don't know. I will admit that I did make the Priest setlist a little long, but still. Maybe one more band needs to go.

ADD
07-19-2008, 10:46 AM
A Motorhead-only virtual show would be tight :cool: In honor of the new album maybe?

DethMaiden
07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll come late :D

ravenheart
07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Yea, maybe you, me, overkiller (though he never bothers with these things), ADD.

You forgot me. I've seen them five times in the last five years and openly acknowledge they improved post-Clarke. Think that qualifies me ;)

ravenheart
07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Did you not hear what the guy said? I don't own any Testament!

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=246#147

This guy didn't help matters much. I don't take his shit so much as gospel anymore, but I'm not that interested in Testament.

That's the dumbest review of any CD I've ever read, anywhere, by anyone.

Seriously, every single thing he says is wrong. "Opinions can't be wrong" can be damned. "I don't like this" is entirely different to "this is shit". The first can't be wrong, the second can.

JRA
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
You forgot me. I've seen them five times in the last five years and openly acknowledge they improved post-Clarke. Think that qualifies me ;)

My mistake. Damn, guess there's more Motorhead guys that I thought.

Seriously, every single thing he says is wrong. "Opinions can't be wrong" can be damned. "I don't like this" is entirely different to "this is shit". The first can't be wrong, the second can.

I must say, "Practice What You Preach" is by no means UltraBoris's best review. That would be his take on "Master Of Puppets." That, simply put, mezmerized me (and plenty of other interweb retards) to the point that practically anything he said had to be some sort of "golden rule of metal." Sure there were a couple of areas where he was wrong (his assesment of Ozzy's solo career and NOTB and The Trooper being bad songs), but damn near anything that guy wrote was gospel to me for about 2-3 years.

I should also mention that Boris's literary "body of work," so to speak, is singlehandedly responsible for my discovery and love of WASP, Overkill, and pretty much my entire "Thrash Metal" collection.

ravenheart
07-19-2008, 06:03 PM
That would be his take on "Master Of Puppets." That, simply put, mezmerized me (and plenty of other interweb retards) to the point that practically anything he said had to be some sort of "golden rule of metal."

Erm... well, it's long. I'll give it that. But not much more.

I'm all for not automatically liking stuff that's popular and making your own mind up. But barely anything he says in that review is backed up in any way with reasoning. Take the bit where he talks about 'Orion', for example. He basically says "Orion is shit" 47 times and moves on the next paragraph.

You're very lucky you got turned on to some decent stuff via his writing.

Maiden33
07-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Maiden is like the only all-encompassing band on this board. If you want a truly great response, they're like the only band to do. The Metal Masters idea isn't band though, as Priest and Sabbath are obviously very heavily liked. And I give a vote for your Gamma Ray idea, because that would be very much in my interest! :D

Maiden33
07-20-2008, 06:34 AM

Ultra-Boris reviews are a thing of beauty. I pitty anyone who takes anything he says remotely serious, but his reviews are HILARIOUS at times. I personally very much recommend any of his Iced Earth reviews.

ravenheart
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Ultra-Boris reviews are a thing of beauty. I pitty anyone who takes anything he says remotely serious, but his reviews are HILARIOUS at times. I personally very much recommend any of his Iced Earth reviews.

Meh, anyone can spend a few paragraphs saying how crap something is and what morons the musicians are without reasoning. Anyone.

Maiden33
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Meh, anyone can spend a few paragraphs saying how crap something is and what morons the musicians are without reasoning. Anyone.

Look, I'm not saying he has any sort of journalistic gift, is a great writer, or has a brilliant ear for music... I'm just saying I find his reviews amusing because they're hilariously stupid most of the time. I find his particular style of ripping into people to be quite laughable in a very dumb way... that's all.

ravenheart
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
they're hilariously stupid most of the time

Amen.