PDA

View Full Version : Get me started, please

ChildrenofSodom
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm trying to get into some more political punk music. I have Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegatables and Plastic Surgery Disaster/In God We Trust, Inc by Dead Kennedys, but I havent gotten the chance to listen to it all the way through. From first impressions, the politics are okay...but the sound is really rough. And I dont know where to go from here.

I can say, almost with some embarassment, that I like the catchy pop-punk-rock in the vein of Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, etc. And I also like what little I have heard of Anti-Flag and Bad Religion (just stuff on youtube.) I've heard very little of Against Me (Stop) and Rise Against (Prayer of the Refugee), and I dont hate it. Also, I think The Pretender by the Foo Fighters is good.

I know I am bouncing all around the spectrum here....but I am a newbian in this realm. Any help?

mankvill
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
oh god my ex-girlfriend LOVED that stuff.

Just some of the bands i can remember:

Leftover Crack
Agent Orange

DethMaiden
07-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm just putting this out there, but if you don't like the Dead Kennedys, maybe punk just isn't for you. :2cents:

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm just putting this out there, but if you don't like the Dead Kennedys, maybe punk just isn't for you. :2cents:

Its not that I dont like them but I have heard other punk that sounds different than DK, and liked it better.

ADD
07-15-2008, 02:30 PM

:lol: :rolleyes:

From what it sounds like, Bad Religion would be a good choice (check out the album 'Generator'). However that's by far the furthest i go on the poppy punk style spectrum so I can't help you very much, but Bad Religion is really good. If your trying to get at more aggressive/street style punk then I can give you better recommendations, but still its a good style to get into.

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I also like stuff like Behind Enemy Lines, if anyone is familar with them.

powerslave_85
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Let's see...Bad Religion is definitely a good place to start. For my money, the best political punk rock band around is Propagandhi. They're incredibly smart and clever, and they play some seriously good tunes to boot. Rise Against are good too, as are older Against Me!. Dillinger Four have a few excellent political songs, too ("The Great American Going Out of Business Sale," "Like Sprewells On a Wheelchair," "Let Them Eat Thomas Paine"). Stay away from Anti-Flag, though.

That's just the really obvious anti-war, anti-Bush kind of stuff. There's plenty more in terms of bands that deal with other kinds of political issues, like sexuality and gender.

Div
07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
One guy I know listens to alot of punk political music, mostly NOFX and Leftover Crack, but that's about all I can say sense I don't listen to it myself. And yeah, Anti-Flag is :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Whats wrong with Anti-Flag, in your guys' opinions?

I definetly want the anti-war, anti-Bush stuff. Any good anti-poverty, pro-gay rights, etc..more social justice...stuff out there?

powerslave_85
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Whats wrong with Anti-Flag, in your guys' opinions?Their hearts are in the right place, and they're passionate about what they believe in, but their politics are usually much too generalized, over-simplified, or reduced to slogans. If Propagandhi are Noam Chomsky, then Anti-Flag are the 16 year olds who yell "No Blood for Oil!" at rallies, but don't really know what it means.

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Their hearts are in the right place, and they're passionate about what they believe in, but their politics are usually much too generalized, over-simplified, or reduced to slogans. If Propagandhi are Noam Chomsky, then Anti-Flag are the 16 year olds who yell "No Blood for Oil!" at rallies, but don't really know what it means.

ahh...I gotcha. :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah...I really really like the stuff Propagandhi has on youtube. Thanks for the suggestion.

HECHO EN MEXICO
07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
..IM NOT A PUNK, BUT I DO LIKE THESE ALBUMS.
(I GUESS U CAN SAY THIER KINDA POLITICAL)

http://www.abc.net.au/myfavouritealbum/albumart/img/bollocks.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7393/r4344261171241628nh8.jpg

zgodt
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Whats wrong with Anti-Flag, in your guys' opinions?

I definetly want the anti-war, anti-Bush stuff. Any good anti-poverty, pro-gay rights, etc..more social justice...stuff out there?

Maybe you'd like Strike Anywhere? I don't have any of their albums, but the songs I've heard on comps have been kewl.

+ Fugazi / Minor Threat are obvious suggestions. (Not pop-punk so much, but for some of the best political punk music available, Fugazi is THE choice.)

Oh, and check out Burning Airlines and Channels -- the bands of J. Robbins after he left Jawbox. They're both more political than Jawbox, the music is sophisticated and catchy, and the lyrics are political and smart and evocative (rather than insipid and preachy).

ChildrenofSodom
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Cool, thanks everyone.

powerslave_85
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Shit, I totally forgot about Strike Anywhere. They're great.