PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden's "Killers"

LoveInSlowMotion
06-22-2008, 07:08 AM
I love Maiden. I love them to death, but I've never been able to listen to the Killers album. It's not a problem with their old style, or Di'Anno's vocals, because I love their debut album to death. I've just always thought of Killers as the "X Factor" of their early days. So my question is this; Am I missing out on anything? Is their some elusive song on Killers that I may have missed that is great? Does the albums quality come from listening to the songs in order? I want to like it, but I just have never been able to get into it. So I want to know, am I the only one who isn't really a fan of Killers, or am I missing out on something awesome?

JRA
06-22-2008, 07:32 AM
I more or less used to think the same think until I read an Ultraboris review where he gives the album a 90% and calls it a long lost NWOBHM staple. I'm impressionable on things like that. But a couple of things I can assert myself are that a) Killers has a heavier production than the debut, and b) if it's a magical song your looking for listen to Genghis Khan. I used to ignore it for whatever reason, and now I think its the best Maiden instrumental ever.

Spiral_Slave
06-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't like it as much as the debut, but for me it's still a very enjoyable album. Standout tracks for me are " Purgatory ", " Murders In The Rue Morgue ", " Genghis Khan ", and the title track. Just give it a few more listens, if you don't like it, you don't like it. It's all a matter of taste.

rjturtle9
06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
yeah i used to stick to Dickinson stuff only but after a few listens, i came to realize how good killers really is.

Fe Maiden
06-22-2008, 09:41 AM
It's a great album! It's the first Maiden album I heard! Give it some serious listening and it will put it's hooks in you!

JRA
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
hooks in you!

Not the best euphemism for Maiden to use. :(

Div
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Killers is like one of the most classic and well known metal albums of all time. If you can't get into Purgatory you need to go see a shrink or something.

DethMaiden
06-22-2008, 11:59 AM
My least favorite Maiden album behind No Prayer for the Dying, actually. That said, Murders in the Rue Morgue is possibly the best Di'Anno era song.

SirLardsAlot
06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I've just always thought of Killers as the "X Factor" of their early days.

So you think it's one of Maiden's best albums? Kinda contradicts your whole post.

SomewhereInTime72
06-22-2008, 03:01 PM
So you think it's one of Maiden's best albums? Kinda contradicts your whole post.

:party:

I always thought Killers was okay, but the more listens I gave it, the more I liked it, and now I like it a LOT. It definitely grows on you, every song is good.

LoveInSlowMotion
06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I can't stand X Factor. It's not even bad songwriting, it was just a poorly produced album. Lord of the Flies is bitchin' live, but the beggining sounds like shit on the album. I'm going to give Killers another listen later tonight, I don't know if I've ever gotten to listening to Ghangis Kahn and Murders in the Rue Morgue, but I'll chaeck them out. Thanks for your help and opinions all.

SirLardsAlot
06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, the production on TXF does kinda blow, in some spots more than others, but I look past that, because otherwise it's a real solid album. The Edge of Darkness and Sign of the Cross = some of my favorite Maiden tracks.

Div
06-22-2008, 07:11 PM
The Edge of Darkness and Sign of the Cross = some of my favorite Maiden tracks.

just so long as blaze isnt singing them.

rjturtle9
06-22-2008, 07:19 PM
hey blaze is pretty sick when he was with maiden

LoveInSlowMotion
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, the production on TXF does kinda blow, in some spots more than others, but I look past that, because otherwise it's a real solid album. The Edge of Darkness and Sign of the Cross = some of my favorite Maiden tracks.

Also, I can't fucking stand the album cover. It literally depresses me.

hey blaze is pretty sick when he was with maiden

Some of the stuff he did on Virtual XI was amazing. Lightning Strikes Twice was one of the better songs they did in the 90's, and Como Estias Amigos was excellent too. I think I would be sweet however, to hear a remastered versian of the album with Bruce on vocals.

Maiden33
06-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Killers = One of Maiden's 3 weakest albums. It's difficult for me to rank them, but I feel it's easily one of the bottom 3.

rjturtle9
06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
I think I would be sweet however, to hear a remastered versian of the album with Bruce on vocals.

i was thinking that to

ADD
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Killers is hella good but not as good as any of their other 80's albums.

Wrathchild_84
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I would go as far to say that Killers is the greatest metal album ever made. I would take the Killers line up over the current line up any day.

PAUL IS THE PRODIGAL SON!!!

DreamEvil001
07-07-2008, 07:26 AM
yeah, Killers is definitely amazing. It completely blows the debut out of the water in every way possible