PDA

View Full Version : Entire Judas Priest Nostradamus Album Available For Streaming

Fe Maiden
06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Check out VH1 (http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/judas_priest/2284206/album.jhtml) for the new Priest.

I'd listen now but I'm giving a final exam:D

DethMaiden
06-10-2008, 10:50 AM
YES. Now I will know whether a Judas Priest album from 2008 deserves my $25. :D

ChildrenofSodom
06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
METAL!!

mankvill
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
god DAMN I wish I wasn't at work :mad:

hot_turkey_ed
06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
god DAMN I wish I wasn't at work :mad:

Ditto.

Div
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I liked the song they released earlier, this should be a sweet album :rocker: I decided to write down my opinions as I listen to it, here we go!

First listening impressions:

track one: pointless filler
track two: alright, nothing groundbreaking
track three: pointless filler
track four: the pause between every word can be annoying, and 7 minutes is bit drawn out for a song like this
track five: pointless filler
track six: zzzzzzzz
track seven: pointless filler
track eight: musically: meh. vocals: i cant understand wtf he's saying.
track nine: the mother of all filler tracks. Ok, there's a cool part at 6:00 to 6:30, whoop de do.
track ten: pointless filler. somebody fucking shoot me.
track eleven: is that a guitar i hear in the background? on this album? impossible!
track twelve: ok, half way point. the second half better make up for this. oh great it's a love ballad. jesus fucking christ.
track thirteen: :party: @ 1 minute in. a riff? finally an actual riff. i think im going to cry. now this is more like it
track fourteen: filler rears its ugly head
track fifteen: :eyes:
track sixteen: weak
track seventeen: let's take a look behind door number 3. oh it's filler, what a surprise.
track eighteen: hmm. decent. has a bit of an 80's feel to it.
track nineteen: 1 minute in... fuck this, next track.
track twenty: another slow ballad. fuck.
track twenty one: no.
track twenty two: the title track, you've all heard this already.
track twenty three: woah, its not filler, are you kidding me? atleast they ended it on a positive note.

I have to admit it flows together well, even though I don't really care for this style. It's a bit too theatrical for a band that's known for solid metal albums like Painkiller and Screaming for Venegence. I guess die hard power-metal fans will like this album more than classic metal fans. the title track was the best song on this album, if you didn't like it then don't even bother listening. sorry priest, but im not supporting half assed crap like this, especially from you, go find someone else to give you their money. and let me add that TUBAS AND VIOLINS DO NOT BELONG IN A PRIEST ALBUM! FUCK!!

Musically: 3 out of 5 stars.
...but -1 star for pretentiousness. Seriously priest, noone asked you to write a fucking opera, stick with what you're fans love you for. I feel bad for the people who blew $100 bucks on the collectors poster/book/cd/vinyl pack, boy did you get ripped off.

2 out of 5 stars

JRA
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
It isn't fucking workng, fuck that media player and fuck my under equipped Mac for not playing it.

hot_turkey_ed
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
It isn't fucking workng, fuck that media player and fuck my under equipped Mac for not playing it.

Our macs work just fine. It is VH1 that is inadequate. And why the fuck is Judas F. Priest doing this on fucking VH1?!?

:lame:

mankvill
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Our macs work just fine. It is VH1 that is inadequate. And why the fuck is Judas F. Priest doing this on fucking VH1?!?

:lame:

Why is Testament the featured band of last month on MTV?

:tongue:

Fe Maiden
06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Hmmmmm, well I don't hate it! Not at all what I expected however!

ravenheart
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
It's out here on Monday. I can wait :D

DethMaiden
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Okay, I'm sorry, but this is a little bit lame. Priest need to avoid being topical at all costs, because lyrics about specific shit are not their cup of tea. Loch Ness was laughable and now half of this is too. I don't think I'll be buying it.

hot_turkey_ed
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Okay, I'm sorry, but this is a little bit lame. Priest need to avoid being topical at all costs, because lyrics about specific shit are not their cup of tea. Loch Ness was laughable and now half of this is too. I don't think I'll be buying it.

Lochness was a masterpiece! Who are you kidding?! :D I love that song! I don't know that I want an entire double album of an extended version though...

Zeltar
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Save for 3 or 4 songs, this album is terribly boring. It might take some time to get used to since I'm so used to Priest rockin the fuck out, but I doubt it. This just isn't Priest's style and it doesn't come off well at all.

Maiden33
06-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Judging by these reactions, I should love it! :party: :D

hot_turkey_ed
06-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Judging by these reactions, I should love it! :party: :D

Very metal! :fist:

ADD
06-12-2008, 06:59 PM
This is gonna suck but I will buy it anyways to get the free lawn ticket coupon for the Metal Masters show.

Angelripper
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
After listening to it a few times I can say that no less than 6 tracks are genuine Priest classics.

Revelations - a big time chorus, with heavy, powerful Hellrider-esque verses. An acoustic guitar solo is a standout. Mid/Fast paced Metal to kill people to.

Pestilence and Plague - Now after One Shot at Glory and Sentinel, this is probably my new favourite Priest song. The chorus is INSANELY good (despite being in Latin), and the guitar harmonies would make Messrs Murray and Smith green with Metal envy. This song just RULES. I could play the middle guitar soloing forever.

Persecution - Big, fast, mean Metal anthem that wouldn't have been out of place on Painkiller. Rob brings out the screams, and they sound big and strong (just like the Metal God himself likes it =]).

Alone - I always thought latter day Priest (i.e. 80s onwards) weren't great with the whole Power Ballad thing, with Prisoner of your Eyes, Out in the Cold, and Before the Dawn being notable exceptions. But this song is a titanic blast of lighters-in-the-air blast of emotion, blustering along with it's memorable chorus and awesome interlude. Rob pulled out all the stops on this one, it even has good -relatively- lyrics!

Nostradamus - I'll admit, when I first heard it, I wasn't too big a fan, but now it's grown on me a lot. Lyrical silliness aside, this is Priest at it's most epic, guitars chainsawing, Rob going mental - good stuff this.

Future of Mankind - Woweeeeeee, this is quite the track. Monstrous chorus, with musical excerpts taken from other songs (when they reference Alone it's just pure bliss), and a great way to end the album.

Honourable mention to The Prophecy, Lost Love, and Conquest.

Glad to see there was no 'Nostradamus on the Metal Monster', or a track called 'The Nostradamuser'.

ravenheart
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Prophecy is currently my favourite. Only listened to it once though (got the CD yesterday).

DethMaiden
06-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Alright, I'll admit I didn't make it all the way through. Too boring I thought. So I won't be able to really accurately judge it, but I didn't like what I heard very much and I won't be buying it. VH1 took it down before I was able to finish it. Oh well.

Electric/Funeral55
06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I have listened to Nostadamus once so far and well...

Good
1.I applaud Judas Priest for trying out a new idea and to reach a demograph who loves progressive metal.
2.Aside from Jugulator with Tim Owens on vocals. This is the most progressive project Judas Priest has done with Rob Halford on vocals.
3.Out of the whole package. There are some really good songs on this album.

Disc 1
1.Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
2.The Four Horsemen/War
3.Conquest
4.Persecution

I wish I could point out some good songs from disc 2 but I need to listen to the album again. However....

1.Visions
2.Future of Mankind

The Bad

1.People who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound might not like this album.
2.There were some filler areas in most of the songs that should have been taken out.
3.If you are expecting that classic Judas Priest sound. Look elsewhere, pal.
4.It can be difficult to listen to this album in one sitting as well as absorbing all of the new things Judas Priest has included in this album.
5.You have to be really open minded to appreciate this album as a whole.
6.Although I said I applaud Judas Priest for trying out something new. That can be bad because they are unintentially shutting out 99% of their fans who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound that was created on "Hell Bent for Leather," "British Steel," and "Screaming for Vengeance."

My final conclusion is that much like any concept album. Nostadamus is one of those albums that will hopefully begin to sink in over time and will be appreciated a lot more. Well, there you are, kids. My review of Nostradamus. My opinion will change as time goes on though and I hope yours does as well. However, there is some good news for anyone who will be seeing Judas Priest on the Metal Masters tour this summer. They will only be doing a few songs off the new album. I am hoping to see this show at PNC on Aug 9th. Is anyone else going?

JRA
06-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I have listened to Nostadamus once so far and well...

Good
1.I applaud Judas Priest for trying out a new idea and to reach a demograph who loves progressive metal.
2.Aside from Jugulator with Tim Owens on vocals. This is the most progressive project Judas Priest has done with Rob Halford on vocals.
3.Out of the whole package. There are some really good songs on this album.

Disc 1
1.Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
2.The Four Horsemen/War
3.Conquest
4.Persecution

I wish I could point out some good songs from disc 2 but I need to listen to the album again. However....

1.Visions
2.Future of Mankind

The Bad

1.People who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound might not like this album.
2.There were some filler areas in most of the songs that should have been taken out.
4.It can be difficult to listen to this album in one sitting as well as absorbing all of the new things Judas Priest has included in this album.
6.Although I said I applaud Judas Priest for trying out something new. That can be bad because they are unintentially shutting out 99% of their fans who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound that was created on "Hell Bent for Leather," "British Steel," and "Screaming for Vengeance."

My final conclusion is that much like any concept album. Nostadamus is one of those albums that will hopefully begin to sink in over time and will be appreciated a lot more. Well, there you are, kids. My review of Nostradamus. My opinion will change as time goes on though and I hope yours does as well. However, there is some good news for anyone who will be seeing Judas Priest on the Metal Masters tour this summer. They will only be doing a few songs off the new album. I am hoping to see this show at PNC on Aug 9th. Is anyone else going?

Wow, this is practically identical to what I was planning to say about the album. Well, good show then. (although I would list the title track amongst good songs on disc 2.)

Electric/Funeral55
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Wow, this is practically identical to what I was planning to say about the album. Well, good show then. (although I would list the title track amongst good songs on disc 2.)

Early bird gets the worm, mate :D.

ravenheart
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM

I don't see any of these as bad points. In fact, I don't see point six as a bad point either. Fans who abandon bands when they do something different just because it doesn't sound like the old stuff, especially when that something different is still good, are not fans.

That said, Nostradamus isn't incredibly different sounding to Angel of Retribution. It's just longer with lots of new ideas on top of that sound, so it really shouldn't alienate too many more "fans" than Angel of Retribution did.

Div
06-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't see any of these as bad points. In fact, I don't see point six as a bad point either. Fans who abandon bands when they do something different just because it doesn't sound like the old stuff, especially when that something different is still good, are not fans.

wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't. if you had a favorite restaurant that you went to that served great seafood but suddenly one day when you went there they said "sorry we don't do seafood anymore, have a hoagie instead" would you go "oh well a hoagie is fine too"? no you'd slap the manager and tell him to cut that shit out. i would argue that "fans" who stick by a band when they pull shit like this, just because the band has a popular name, are helping to ruin things by encouraging more shitty material. just because its "progressive" doesn't mean its good, especially from a band who's not known for that. so should overkill hype a new album for two years and then release a two disk opera about the life and death of tycho brahe? i think fans everywhere would go "what the fuck is this" and would have a right to be a bit pissed off.

SomewhereInTime72
06-22-2008, 07:33 PM
wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't. if you had a favorite restaurant that you went to that served great seafood but suddenly one day when you went there they said "sorry we don't do seafood anymore, have a hoagie instead" would you go "oh well a hoagie is fine too"? no you'd slap the manager and tell him to cut that shit out. i would argue that "fans" who stick by a band when they pull shit like this, just because the band has a popular name, are helping to ruin things by encouraging more shitty material. just because its "progressive" doesn't mean its good, especially from a band who's not known for that. so should overkill hype a new album for two years and then release a two disk opera about the life and death of tycho brahe? i think fans everywhere would go "what the fuck is this" and would have a right to be a bit pissed off.

It's not like Priest didn't say the entire time it wasn't going to be classic Priest(double negative lol). Everyone knew this was going to be a big departure from their regular sound.

Div
06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
(double negative lol)

:(

Spiral_Slave
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm really enjoying the album.

ravenheart
06-23-2008, 02:13 AM
wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't.

They're not being something they aren't. They're being a metal band. Why should they restrict themselves to cheesy '80s metal when they can build so much more around a core classic metal sound? Given that they told everyone well in advance what they were planning to do with their next album I think it's perfectly justified of them to expect the metal fans who buy it to be as open minded when listening to it as they were making it.

If you want the same sound every album, listen to Status Quo or RHCP ;)

On the Overkill metal opera front, if they're capable, why the fuck not? It's their music. It could turn out to be a good metal opera. And if you don't like metal operas, and Overkill gave you plenty of warning that their next album was going to be a metal opera, then you have absolutely no right to be pissed with them if you go out and buy it and don't like it.

Maiden33
06-23-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm really enjoying the album.

I second that. I picked it up 2 days ago and after 2 and a half listens I definitely enjoy more of it than I don't, so overall I've got good thoughts.

es156
06-23-2008, 06:40 AM
so should overkill hype a new album for two years and then release a two disk opera about the life and death of tycho brahe?

:lol:

DethMaiden
06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm all for bands taking new directions. South of Heaven is by far my favorite Slayer album. But I judge an album on whether I think it's good, not whether I think it sounds like the band that released. Priest's new one just isn't that good in my opinion.

ravenheart
06-23-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm enjoying it, but there are weaknesses. There are only about four songs I could really pick out that I like on their own merit. But they have done a good job of making the whole thing flow, and for that I do enjoy listening to it.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Persecution is definitely my favorite song on the album. :horns:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm all for bands taking new directions. South of Heaven is by far my favorite Slayer album. But I judge an album on whether I think it's good, not whether I think it sounds like the band that released. Priest's new one just isn't that good in my opinion.

Nail on the head right here.

I gave it a listen, and I liked it better then AoR - not that that says much coming from me, but still, there were a few songs worth listening to, I guess, but nothing to get excited about.

DethMaiden
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Alright, here's the short of it:

The Good: "Future of Mankind" is one of the best Priest songs ever period. Glenn and KK can still shred. The album flows well.

The Bad: It's way too fucking long. The intro tracks are all pointless. The Latin lyrics sound really stupid.

The Ugly: Rob Halford's head tattoos. Eesh.

SomewhereInTime72
06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah. The segue tracks are really annoying, as only some of them actually feel like a cool build up to the next song (Dawn of creation, Sands of Time, Hope, and... yeah thats it, the rest could be cut easily). And while all the songs are good, I find a lot of them to be too long-winded and tend to drag. Basically if the album were shorter it would be really good, but as it is it's more like moderately good.