PDA

View Full Version : Ozzfest 2008 Announced: One Day Stadium Event With OZZY & METALLICA

hot_turkey_ed
05-13-2008, 08:45 AM
The Short Version

August 9th @ Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX. That's a Dallas suburb. One day only with three stages.

Main: Ozzy, Metallica, Serj Tankian, Hellyeah, Jonathan Davis, Cavalera, Conspiracy, Shadows Fall, Apocalyptica, In This Moment, Tribute To Dimebag Darrell

Second: Sevendust, Devildriver, Kingdom Of Sorrow, Soilent Green, Witchcraft, Goatwhore

Third: The Sword, Drowning Pool, Rigor Mortis

Tix go on sale May 31st.

----------------------------------------------

The Long Version (The Press Release)

All eyes and ears will be on Dallas, Texas Saturday, August 9. No conspiracy theory here--just the facts.

OZZFEST--the original and iconic hard rock festival--returns in 2008 as a one-day stadium spectacular that teams OZZFEST founder and namesake Ozzy Osbourne (in his only U.S. concert appearance this summer) with Metallica (marking their OZZFEST debut).

Produced by Sharon Osbourne and AEG LIVE, the all-day festival at Pizza Hut Park in hard music-loving Dallas will feature three stages of non-stop talent (with many OZZFEST alumni) and reliably twisted OZZFEST side attractions.

The full main stage lineup will also spotlight performances by Serj Tankian (System of a Down), Hellyeah, Jonathan Davis (Korn), Cavalera Conspiracy, Shadows Fall, Apocalyptica and In This Moment. Also scheduled on the main stage is a special all-star tribute to slain Pantera guitarist ‘Dimebag’ Darrell Abbott. Second stage acts include Sevendust, Devildriver, Kingdom of Sorrow, Soilent Green, Witchcraft and Goatwhore. The Texas (third) stage—“an homage to the “many great metal bands that come from Texas,” says Sharon Osbourne--features The Sword, Drowning Pool and Rigor Mortis.

“Ozzy just finished an 11-month world tour so I think he deserves a summer off,” Sharon says about this year’s one-day OZZFEST. “We’re going to be a stadium destination festival for now--we have gone past doing the sheds every summer. We’ve given everyone else the blueprint and we have to keep evolving OZZFEST. This is just the beginning; AEG Live and I have a lot of new ideas for OZZFEST.”

This year’s dynamic line-up encompasses artists who’ve played OZZFEST before in different incarnations such as Serj Tankian (System of a Down); Jonathan Davis (Korn); Hellyeah’s Vinnie Paul (Pantera) and Chad Gray (Mudvayne); Kingdom of Sorrow’s Jamie Jasta (Hatebreed) and Kirk Windstein (Down); and Max Cavalera (Soulfly, Sepultura) of Cavalara Conspiracy. Other OZZFEST graduates include Shadows Fall, Sevendust, Devildriver, Drowning Pool and In This Moment.

“Ozzy has great relationships with all of the bands that have played OZZFEST,” says Sharon. “We’re the only real festival for harder edge bands and these artists have been very loyal to us--there is lots of love on this line-up.”

Tickets for this year’s OZZFEST will go on sale Saturday, May 31. For up-to-the-minute details go to www.Ozzfest.com.

rjturtle9
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
:party:

now i can spend my money on a real show, like priest, H@H, motorhead, testament

mankvill
05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Only worthwhile bands:

Metallica
Soilent Green
Goatwhore
Rigor Mortis

Terrible, terrible festival.

SomewhereInTime72
05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
:barf:

ravenheart
05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Only worthwhile bands:

Metallica
Soilent Green
Goatwhore
Rigor Mortis

Terrible, terrible festival.

What?! Kingdom of Sorrow, Witchcraft, Hellyeah and Apocalyptica as well.

Wouldn't mind giving Jonathon Davies, Cavalera Conspiracy and the all-star Dime tribute a look either. Shadows Fall are also pretty good live.

Maiden33
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Correction: There are NO worthwhile bands on the bill. :D

mankvill
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
What?! Kingdom of Sorrow, Witchcraft, Hellyeah and Apocalyptica as well.

Wouldn't mind giving Jonathon Davies, Cavalera Conspiracy and the all-star Dime tribute a look either. Shadows Fall are also pretty good live.

GET OUT OF MY SIGHT! :flame:

ADD
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Interesting second stage.

theWolfisLOOSE
05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Correction: There are NO worthwhile bands on the bill. :D

Metallica used to be good... :eyes:

Div
05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
whats all the fuss about. was anyone really expecting something good from fucking ozzfest? this is just a fest for a bunch of posers to go and feel "metal" for a day listening to "harder edge bands" such as "drowning pool" and "tribute to dimebag darrell" and lets face it, half of metallicas setlist will probably be cover songs anyway.

Firewind
05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Metallica, The Sword, Goatwhore, and Rigor Mortis are the ones I would go for. But I won't be going to this one at all. Even a three hour drive is too much for that, haha...

hot_turkey_ed
05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Historically, our highest traffic days have been related to either Ozzfest or Iron Maiden announcing their tours. Today? Less than ten posts (when I started typing this) and there really isn't any extra bump activity.

The official Ozzfest forum is usually pretty rowdy but today it is outright revolt. I'd hate to be in charge of that board right now.

I saw Metallica four times on the last tour. Metallica on the bill doesn't really excite me THAT much. Even with a new album, I'm just not that excited anymore about Metalica, period. This lineup is no worse than than last year's FreeFest, and I had a great time then. I could very easily have a great time at this year's Ozzfest. I imagine tickets will be higher than ever this year. If it was local and the Mickster was around, we would pay it in a heartbeat. With this event in Dallas, my likely costs more than doubled. Logistics sound like they will be a pain in the ass. Outside of the announcement that there will be an Ozzfest 2008, there is not much to be excited about here. I'm more excited about Judas Priest at the end of the August than Ozzfest 2008.

And let me get this off my chest. Ozzfest 2008 has evolved? FUCK YOU. Do they think we're that fucking stupid? Try Devolved! This Ozzfest will be no Wacken. It's a one date show, nothing more. Big fucking deal. If Ozzy is really too tired to perform, maybe he should retire.

If I had to travel to far off places to see metal, the Kansas City Power Metal Fest (http://www.myspace.com/kansascitypowermetalfest) has been on my calendar for a while now. August 8th and 9th. There's more adventure to had on that road trip than a flight to Dallas for a corporate production in a venue sponsored by the makers of one of my least favorite pizzas.

Wrathchild_84
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I use to live right by Pizza Hut Park, thats where they have that gay ass edge fest every year.

Firewind
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I use to live right by Pizza Hut Park, thats where they have that gay ass edge fest every year.

Haha, yeah. I went to that last year. My roommate had an extra ticket and I figured it wouldn't be so bad for free, but I was wrong.

mankvill
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
If I had to travel to far off places to see metal, the Kansas City Power Metal Fest (http://www.myspace.com/kansascitypowermetalfest) has been on my calendar for a while now. August 8th and 9th.

hammy1971
05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
not interested in ozzfest at all now, what away to go out. this will be a high priced show. glad i spent my money on maiden 6/12 will be a great show, rest in peace ozzfest u sux.......

TonyD
05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
A real dissapointment. So much for a great festival in the US.
Just to make it clear, the metal masters tour is not a festival, but with that lineup, I won't feel like I'm missing anything this year. If it lives up to my expectations, which are very realistic, it will be even better than Priest at Ozzfest.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Pizza Hut Park is probably 10 miles from where I live and I have no interest in going.

Div
05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Kansas City Power Metal Fest (http://www.myspace.com/kansascitypowermetalfest)

well... ill be damned, something actually happening in kansas...

mankvill
05-13-2008, 07:52 PM
well... ill be damned, something actually happening in kansas...

:party::party::party:

+ Obituary!

+ Impaled!

+ Rockstar Mayhem!

+ Wakarusa!

jaysadler2
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
From an outsiders point of view....

Never been to an ozzfest, live in the U.K.

My personal oppinnion of this current years line-up is below average. I think that you have a group of average bands that are not going to put on one hell of a show.

The reason for going is for the dimebag tribute, so my guess will be zakk wylde playing guitar with vinnie paul, vocals? (maybe down will be announced shortly).

How could they make it a better lineup still with ozzy headliner?

Fe Maiden
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
All I can say is :hecho: & :lol:

Starmadillo
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
It is Ride For Dime weekend so you guys are looking at is all wrong.

Ozzfest just adds to the mayhem.

Would you go if it was FREEEEEE?

Go to www.BLACKTOOTHmp3Sunglasses.com and enter.
On second thought, stay home and feel sorry for yourselves who needs ya!!!

More whiskey and weed for the rest of us.

Cheer up maybe go see the Monkees reunion if it will make you feel better. :rocker:

SomewhereInTime72
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Actually on August 9th I'll be seeing the Metal Masters Tour so really I'm quite happy.