PDA

View Full Version : Power Rangers

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Okay, so hear me out on this one. As a kid, one of my favorite shows was Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Yes, that's pretty laughable, but hey, I was in second grade when that shit came on. Anyways, for a good year or two of my childhood Power Rangers was a pretty big thing... the shows, toys, games, etc. I also really loved the music, and one of my most prized possessions was a cassette with a bunch of Power Rangers music.

Anyways, I've long forgot about that poor show, but somebody mentioned Power Rangers around me the other day, and I was like, "Oh yeah... Power Rangers" and in a fit of boredom inspired YouTube searching I was compelled to search for Power Rangers, and that's when I quickly hit the old theme:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K0KOfTV1dbc

I had completely forgotten that the damn show's theme song is basically a slice of 80s heavy metal, complete with horribly cheesy lyrics that are so bad I almost feel compelled to make a pun about Power Rangers and power metal.

Anyways, I wonder how much of an impact that had on my future "discovery" and enjoyment of metal. I had no idea what an electric guitar was at the time, and if I would've tried to listen to heavy metal at 8 years old, I can guarantee my mom would've stopped that, but because this was in Power Rangers, it was okay. And man, did I love the music when I was a kid.

I guess the whole point of this (aside from the fact I'm procrastinating on homework) is that I think I may have inadvertently become a fan of heavy metal quite a number of years before I actually realized it thanks to a very cheesy kid's TV show.

TonyD
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't even have to show you my halloween pictures from 2 different years.
Even though I was a huge Power Rangers fan between the ages of 5 and 7, I don't think it contributed to my metalness.

Is it true that Buckethead did the theme song?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't even have to show you my halloween pictures from 2 different years.
Even though I was a huge Power Rangers fan between the ages of 5 and 7, I don't think it contributed to my metalness.

Is it true that Buckethead did the theme song?

Yeah, I definitely might have dressed up as a Power Ranger once for Halloween too... actually, when I was in second grade, we had to do a coloring project in class: draw a picture of what you want to be when you grow up. And I drew a Power Ranger. And the school called my parents :lol:

And no, I'm pretty sure he didn't. It was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wasserman

sneakbobcat
04-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Buckethead did the theme song!
My band covered it 3 months ago at a gig to celebrate someone's birthday. The tapping bit in it is immense. And no we didn't do the full 4 minute version. We did the 1 minute version lol. Listen to the actual 4 minute thing though!

SomewhereInTime72
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I loved this show so much, and playing this song is really fun.

...I never tapped when I played it. :eyes: :D

MetalDrummer888
04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
but this song is so....bad.

its like the same riff for 4 minutes :eyes:

JRA
04-23-2008, 06:42 PM
DIE BY THE SWORD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cJd0N7ASe8&feature=related

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-24-2008, 01:09 AM
:hecho:

....WHEN I WAS GOING UP IF U LIKED OR DRESS UP LIKE A POWER RANGER U WOULD GET YOUR ASS KICKED.
:cool:

Wrathchild_84
04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
All I can think about when I watch the old episodes is how much I want to bang Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly). I was a fan from when it first aired until about 2 weeks after they switched everybody on Turbo. I never saw the Turbo movie so I have no fucking clue why a little kid became the blue ranger or why they switched from zeo to turbo and I don’t know what the fuck happened to the machines or zed and rita.

Div
04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
i had a few of the megazord things as a kid, even tho they were voltron rip offs it was still cool. i remember i got pissed cause they cancled it for awhile to make time for the OJ simpson trial, fucking OJ.

Wrathchild_84
04-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Also does anyone else think that Lord Zed was a repressed homosexual? I think that’s why he was so pissed off all the time.

Div
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I dunno what was up with Zed, but how about Ivan Ooze?

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3500/ivanoozeyv0.jpg

SomewhereInTime72
04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
^That movie was badass.

rjturtle9
04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
^That movie was badass.

:party:

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
^That movie was badass.

:hecho:

Wrathchild_84
05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I've been watching the Zyuranger stuff on youtube recently. The problem is that it isn't subbed so I can only understand when they say "what" or "shit"

JRA
05-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I've been watching the Zyuranger stuff on youtube recently. The problem is that it isn't subbed so I can only understand when they say "what" or "shit"

Yea I was doing that last week too. Honestly I just wanted to see the scenes that they didn't show us in America.

I always thought it was kind of stupid that "King Sphinx" was just a corny game show host.

Wrathchild_84
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Yea I was doing that last week too. Honestly I just wanted to see the scenes that they didn't show us in America.

I always thought it was kind of stupid that "King Sphinx" was just a corny game show host.

I actually never saw the American episode with "King Sphinx" but I laughed my ass off when I saw the Zyuranger version.

JRA
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I actually never saw the American episode with "King Sphinx" but I laughed my ass off when I saw the Zyuranger version.

I remember in the American version, King Sphinx was a badass not to be fucked with and only Jason could kick his his ass (and only with 100% of his awesomeness). Then I see this goofy looking japanese guy with a pharoah hat over his head and I'm like "Oh please tell me that's not King Sphinx..." then that fucking kid gets it wrong, and then in the background I heard a proverbial toilet flushing in the background (representing all my bad-guy man love going down the drain).

Wrathchild_84
05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I remember in the American version, King Sphinx was a badass not to be fucked with and only Jason could kick his his ass (and only with 100% of his awesomeness). Then I see this goofy looking japanese guy with a pharoah hat over his head and I'm like "Oh please tell me that's not King Sphinx..." then that fucking kid gets it wrong, and then in the background I heard a proverbial toilet flushing in the background (representing all my bad-guy man love going down the drain).

Well I finally saw that episode. Your right he was a badass. I also just watched the Zyuranger version of the terror toad episode, the Japanese blue ranger look like some stupid little goth kid. But when pink ranger went bad I had a lot of nasty thoughts going thru my head. On a side note Iím sick of watching stuff in Japanese and whishing it was subbed so Iím going to get some learn Japanese CDís and listen to then while I sleep.

Div
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
i found that rosetta stone program on bit torrent, it might still be there.