PDA

View Full Version : Now I am so much more.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I am no longer just a mere wedge of evil cheese... I am...

EVILCHEESE

Remember this day.

SirLardsAlot
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Boo!

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not changing your smiley. :finger:

JRA
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I've been thinking about ditching my screenname too. Especially since I sold my beat up drumset am probably never gonna have the money to buy another set and the time to practice until I'm rich and famous.

Div
03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
hm, whats in a name anyway

es156
03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Wait a second........

1. Allan bashed Maiden.... ECW bashed Maiden

2. Allan changed his screen name.... ECW changed his screen name

3. Allan left the board........

:eyes:

JRA
03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Wait a second........

:lol: :lol:

DethMaiden
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Wait a second........

Uh oh...

JRA
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, his rate of showing up here as decreased from "always" to "seldom."

Div
03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
once you start down the dark path of maiden bashing, it will ultimately lead to your destruction

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Wait a second........

Allan change identities.. ECW is just being cool.

:cool:

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
once you start down the dark path of maiden bashing, it will ultimately lead to your destruction

The Lake Of Fire awaits these people....

:heat:

JRA
03-18-2008, 06:59 PM
once you start down the dark path of maiden bashing, forever will it dominate your destiny

Fixed. :evil:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Wait a second........

:lol:

He went with a totally new name though, I just chopped off the :ecw:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Well, his rate of showing up here as decreased from "always" to "seldom."

I was never hear always ;)

But, I've been around here lately, just a bit quiet. :D

JRA
03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I was never hear always ;)

Well I meant at the same rate as, say, myself or ADD (who is suspiciously incognito right now).

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Well I meant at the same rate as, say, myself or ADD (who is suspiciously incognito right now).

Yeah, fair enough. I've been pretty un-plugged lately. I blame school, but what can you do? ;)

ChildrenofSodom
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Oscar, Allan, and Addi are gone....why?

SomewhereInTime72
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

:snivel:

JRA
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Changing of the guard?

:bricks:

ChildrenofSodom
03-18-2008, 09:37 PM
:snivel:

And Bouville...and metaldrummer....

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Changing of the guard?

:bricks:

And Bouville...and metaldrummer....

We are definitely having a changing of the guard. People come and people go. It's to be expected. While certainly I miss these people -- especially because I used to hit concerts offline with them -- we have a ton of new people on the board. A lot of our set lists are coming from newer names.

Here are some updates:

Oscar / Hecho... some of you may remember... he was getting into bootlegs quite a bit... then his computer broke... and his activity never returned. His cell pretty much goes to VM all the time now.

Allan made some personal choices that steered him and his family away from metal.

Bouville? He fell into Blaze's Lake Of Fire, maybe a chupacabra finally got him at a dig. Not sure.

ADD is still here... just not posting like before... he's a senior in high school and it's spring. Not sure about MetalDrummer.... I believe he's a senior too...

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I miss Hecho agreeing with things 100%. :(

I can't believe it's been almost 5 years since I first started posting on the IMBB. I haven't even really bothered with whatever board Maiden has up now though.

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
One other mention that I'm really proud... recently metalsetlists got tags for set lists... I did a few here and there to demonstrate them up front... but a few of you came together and tagged hundreds into the thousands of set lists. That is very fucking cool and tells me everything I need to know about how we're doing.

You guys fucking rock!!!

:punk:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I also remember when this place was a dinky little community :dance:

;)

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 11:34 PM

I can't believe it's been almost 5 years since I first started posting on the IMBB. I haven't even really bothered with whatever board Maiden has up now though.

Five years is ago... I was talking to someone tonight about ADD... old IMBB folks remember his early days as a thirteen-year-old-megadeth-fanboy. Now, he's a seriously badass metal fucker... probably one of the most knowledge musical resources here.

I also remember when this place was a dinky little community :dance:

;)

We're still pretty dinky but growing and healthy. I still find just as exciting as day one when someone posts a set list or a review from the great unknown. We have people damn near everywhere. It's a pretty damn small world.

It would be cool if one of these of days we can find a way to get a few folks together for Nemesis in Germany. She has been here from almost the start -- maybe the start -- despite the fact that her time zone places her outside a lot of the busy times.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
It's funny how much has changed in five years. I remember posting on the IMBB as a pro-Republican anti-alcohol non-Queensryche fan. I can't really imagine being called a Republican now :eyes: I can't remember a large portion of my 21st birthday, and I've been to a few Queensryche shows in my time ;)

This site has come along ways though. I love reading the set lists, and the community that has formed up around them is pretty good :dance:

Oh yeah, and I will forever love that picture she found about not using cheese wedges ;)

SomewhereInTime72
03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I like Metalsetlists now, but I do miss our old major posters. :(

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
It's funny how much has changed in five years. I remember posting on the IMBB as a pro-Republican anti-alcohol non-Queensryche fan. I can't really imagine being called a Republican now :eyes: I can't remember a large portion of my 21st birthday, and I've been to a few Queensryche shows in my time ;)

This site has come along ways though. I love reading the set lists, and the community that has formed up around them is pretty good :dance:

Oh yeah, and I will forever love that picture she found about not using cheese wedges ;)

The community that developed, that was really unexpected. Fuck reviews. I could write a book about the experiences this site has driven.

You never know... it may just be a case of the Republican Party leaving you, not you leaving it.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 11:47 PM
The community that developed, that was really unexpected. Fuck reviews. I could write a book about the experiences this site has driven.

You never know... it may just be a case of the Republican Party leaving you, not you leaving it.
:)

Yeah... I wasn't sure how this place would turn out when I first showed up here. I didn't really expect it to be a regular posting place though, that's for sure. This is definitely the board I spend the most time on. So if I'm not around much, I'm not around much on boards at all ;)

Hmm, good point.

powerslave_85
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
The current roster/incarnation/whatever of this board is my favorite so far. It's been a bit slow lately, though. Scott and Addi need to ignore their real lives and spend more time here ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 11:51 PM
The current roster/incarnation/whatever of this board is my favorite so far. It's been a bit slow lately, though. Scott and Addi need to ignore their real lives and spend more time here ;)
Yeah, for real. Scott has no excuse... there's nothing to do in Michigan anyways, so he should be on here ;)

SomewhereInTime72
03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Real lives are for losers!

I always make time for the internet. :eyes:

Div
03-19-2008, 12:07 AM
I remember when I started posting here back in 05. I was a stuck up "Led Zeppelin is the best band ever" guy, then I met Steve and he got me into more metal stuff, I think he played me some Kamelot and I was like "holy shit, awesome". I'd say about 90% of my music folder now is from bands I've read about here.

Due to my college workload and my career choice I can't afford to be the most party-hard metal motherfucker out there, but it's still a strong part of my personality :)

SomewhereInTime72
03-19-2008, 12:19 AM
...I didn't listen to any prog at all when I first joined these forums. :eek:

...This place has definitely influenced my taste in music, though. In a good, good, way. :bouville:

edit: I was a stuck up "Led Zeppelin is the best band ever" guy

Holy shit, I think I have a vague memory of this. :eyes:

But a much less vague memory of the Iced Earth guy. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
03-19-2008, 03:58 AM

YEHA MAN!!!

JRA
03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
edit:

Holy shit, I think I have a vague memory of this. :eyes:

But a much less vague memory of the Iced Earth guy. ;)

Yea, Div. You talked about Iced Earth way more than you did Zeppelin.

I don't think I can really say if this board has swayed my tastes that much. I'd say if anything it got me into Pink Floyd. Well and perhaps it convinced me to go deeper into Rush besides Moving Pictures, 2112 and all the live albums.

As for "metal status" at least you guys have all found "scenes" of some sort. I've been wondering around colleges for 5 years and aside from being a radio DJ, I haven't found shit!

ravenheart
03-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Scenes? Are you all 15 year old girls? ;)

Scenes are for emos, goths and all the other lamentable groups of kids trying to be cool.

Div
03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
:lol: yea I guess I took the Iced Earth thing a bit too far. I still think they've got some great gems in their back catelouge, its too bad they decided to get more influence from power metal instead of thrash.

ChildrenofSodom
03-19-2008, 09:30 AM

Scenes are for emos, goths and all the other lamentable groups of kids trying to be cool.

This is our country: love it or leave it.

USA! :usa: USA! :usa: USA!

JRA
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM

Well, I meant the fact that people here are either in locational clumps or have friends who are actually into metal.

DethMaiden
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, I meant the fact that people here are either in locational clumps or have friends who are actually into metal.

Yeah, there's that, and there's also the fact that the Californians are into thrash and the midwesterners are into post-rock and one assumes the New Yorkers are into something or other.

es156
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah, there's that, and there's also the fact that the Californians are into thrash and the midwesterners are into post-rock and one assumes the New Yorkers are into something or other.

No. :mad:

DethMaiden
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
No. :mad:

:lol: I guess that's more the "scene" at large rather than our board's midwesterners. But dude, look around sometime...post-rock bands and shows are probably everywhere in your area.

DreamEvil001
03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Not sure about MetalDrummer.... I believe he's a senior too...

Yeah, he and I are seniors. We got some pretty good tickets for Maiden in Concord, but we definitely aren't as hardcore metal as we used to be... there is just too much good music to be found to limit yourself to one genre. Plus the whole "metalhead" schtick is pretty lame

DethMaiden
03-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, he and I are seniors. We got some pretty good tickets for Maiden in Concord, but we definitely aren't as hardcore metal as we used to be... there is just too much good music to be found to limit yourself to one genre. Plus the whole "metalhead" schtick is pretty lame

That's sort of an elitist attitude considering no one on this entire board listens to just metal.

ADD
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Dude we should meet up and hang before Maiden!

hot_turkey_ed
03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Plus the whole "metalhead" schtick is pretty lame

The metalhead schtick... hmmm.... personally, I don't live in a schtick or worry about a cliche... This site was named METAL set lists for a good reason but it's always been about the people make up our tribe and their music, whatever it may be. That's not to say we're going to allow a bunch of crap on the latest set lists tote board but I would suggest this approach: "Fuck you. I'll listen to whatever the hell I want."

Beyond the schtick, that thing we love as metal can be found in a lot of different forms:

** Prelude in C Sharp Minor, Op.3, No.2 / Rachmaninoff / Vladimir Ashkenazy (pianist) -- this short piece sounds like it came straight out of hell.

** Nocturne in C minor, Op.48 / Chopin / Vladimir Ashkenazy (pianist) --

** Polonaise in A-flat Major, Op.53 - Heroic / Chopin / Arthur Rubinstein (pianist) -- good for power metalers

** Piano Sonata No. 9 - "Black Mass" / Scriabin / Robert Taub (pianist) -- no it's not satanic but it is exercise in dissonance that will attract those who are.

** Pharaoh's Dance / Bitches Brew / Miles Davis -- trust me, just listen to one. Late at night. Low lights. It will change your life.

** Relections of Earth & We Go On / Epcot: Tapestry of Dreams / Walt Disney World -- Yes, Disney music. You can find this on youtube complete with fireworks. This is Epcot's nightly fireworks show. No Disney characters but more pyro -- not just fireworks but fire and explosions -- than ANY metal concert.

Let's go a step further a(borrowing from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism) here) and deeper to get at the roots of all this:

Romanticism is a complex artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in the second half of the 18th century in Western Europe, and gained strength during the Industrial Revolution.[1] It was partly a revolt against aristocratic social and political norms of the Age of Enlightenment and a reaction against the scientific rationalization of nature, and was embodied most strongly in the visual arts, music, and literature.

The movement stressed strong emotion as a source of aesthetic experience, placing new emphasis on such emotions as trepidation, horror, and the awe experienced in confronting the sublimity in untamed nature and its qualities that are "picturesque", both new aesthetic categories. It elevated folk art and custom, as well as arguing for a "natural" epistemology of human activities as conditioned by nature in the form of language, custom and usage.

Our modern sense of a romantic character is sometimes based on Byronic or Romantic ideals. Romanticism reached beyond the rational and Classicist ideal models to elevate medievalism and elements of art and narrative perceived to be authentically medieval, in an attempt to escape the confines of population growth, urban sprawl and industrialism, and it also attempted to embrace the exotic, unfamiliar and distant in modes more authentic than chinoiserie, harnessing the power of the imagination to envision and to escape.

The ideologies and events of the French Revolution, rooted in Romanticism[citation needed], affected the direction it was to take, and the confines of the Industrial Revolution also had their influence on Romanticism, which was in part an escape from modern realities; indeed, in the second half of the nineteenth century, "Realism" was offered as a polarized opposite to Romanticism. Romanticism elevated the achievements of what it perceived as misunderstood heroic individuals and artists that altered society. It also legitimized the individual imagination as a critical authority which permitted freedom from classical notions of form in art. There was a strong recourse to historical and natural inevitability, a Zeitgeist, in the representation of its ideas.

I would also reading wiki's article on Romantic Music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_music). You find additional commentary on some of the composers I've listed above.

There's a lot more to metal than schtick. It's not just about blast beats, imagery, beer drinking, or whatever cliche you want to throw up. Expression and attitude... and it can go as deep or shallow as you want...

JRA
03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
** Pharaoh's Dance / Bitches Brew / Miles Davis -- trust me, just listen to one. Late at night. Low lights. It will change your life.

I hope it does a better job than "Shhh/Peaceful" on his album In a Silent Way. That was just hard to follow, plus it sounds like its skips.

DreamEvil001
03-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Dude we should meet up and hang before Maiden!

Hell yeah dude! A guy who goes to my school has some relative who works for ticketbastard, so we might be getting VIP tickets for cheap, If not we stick to our own third row tickets.

Sorry if I pissed any of you people off.

DreamEvil001
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
There's a lot more to metal than schtick. It's not just about blast beats, imagery, beer drinking, or whatever cliche you want to throw up. Expression and attitude... and it can go as deep or shallow as you want...

Come on, I really didn't mean you, I just meant the guys at school who listen to metal and pretend to be such assholes and hardcore and shit. Doesn't mean I don't respect the music

hot_turkey_ed
03-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Plus the whole "metalhead" schtick is pretty lame

Sorry if I pissed any of you people off.

Come on, I really didn't mean you, I just meant the guys at school who listen to metal and pretend to be such assholes and hardcore and shit. Doesn't mean I don't respect the music

I know you didn't mean me personally. Site likes metalsetlists however carry the banner for metal in general in a smallish way. Take my overall response in that context.

es156
03-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been thinking about ditching my screenname too. Especially since I sold my beat up drumset am probably never gonna have the money to buy another set and the time to practice until I'm rich and famous.

Are you taking suggestions or should we launch a poll?

;)

Div
03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Are you taking suggestions or should we launch a poll?

;)

but think about what he might change it to, "peternorthjr" might just be awkward for everyone. :eyes:

es156
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
but think about what he might change it to, "peternorthjr" might just be awkward for everyone. :eyes:

:lol:

I would just have to ban him. :allan:

JRA
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM

My myspace name is Peternorthsload. :eyes:

es156
03-23-2008, 07:05 AM

You, my friend, are a sick puppy.

JRA
03-23-2008, 08:11 AM
You, my friend, are a sick puppy.

Honestly, I only used that because I tried so many other different names only to discover that they were all taken. So I just decided I would pick one that nobody else would think of.

ChildrenofSodom
03-23-2008, 06:33 PM

You are what you eat.

Div
03-23-2008, 06:40 PM
You are what you eat.

carpe noctum was used in the commercials for milky way bars :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
03-23-2008, 06:46 PM
carpe noctum was used in the commercials for milky way bars :eyes:

I think I saw that, but I kinda spaced out.

JRA
03-24-2008, 05:48 AM
You pricks. :lol: