PDA

View Full Version : IRON MAIDEN: SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME (Best of '80-'89)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?categoryid=8&p2_articleid=831

Sorry, I had to. I got an e-mail this morning from Iron Maiden and it mentioned the new greatest hits. Don't miss your chance to own another compilation featuring "Number of the Beast" and "Run to the Hills" !!! ;)

Before you kill me, I am planning on going to the Ohio show, but seriously... what is the deal with these constant greatest hits releases!?

JRA
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Fuck you, Rod. :hecho:

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Before you kill me, I am planning on going to the Ohio show, but seriously... what is the deal with these constant greatest hits releases!?

This is the deal:

In an unprecedented move to let younger fans hear, understand and appreciate the quality of these recordings EMI launch the unique SOMEWHERE BEST IN SOUND whereby the curious/adventurous can download the entire album without charge from www.ironmaiden.com as a high quality audio file (WMA) which is a typically powerful 320 kbps. Fans will then be able to listen to the entire album at their leisure three times before the download expires. The listener is then given a simple option to upgrade and purchase the album as a full traditional DRM-free download (so they can then copy or do as they like with the album).

I don't their like their choice in DRM (wma) because I'm an OS X guy that loves iTunes. That said, this is a better strategy for fan and label than forcing kids to listen to crappy myspace cuts, assuming said fans aren't into hooliganism.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
This is the deal:

In an unprecedented move to let younger fans hear, understand and appreciate the quality of these recordings EMI launch the unique SOMEWHERE BEST IN SOUND whereby the curious/adventurous can download the entire album without charge from www.ironmaiden.com as a high quality audio file (WMA) which is a typically powerful 320 kbps. Fans will then be able to listen to the entire album at their leisure three times before the download expires. The listener is then given a simple option to upgrade and purchase the album as a full traditional DRM-free download (so they can then copy or do as they like with the album).

I don't their like their choice in DRM (wma) because I'm an OS X guy that loves iTunes. That said, this is a better strategy for fan and label than forcing kids to listen to crappy myspace cuts, assuming said fans aren't into hooliganism.
I guess that's fair. Was it really necessary to create a whole "album" type of thing for it though? If anything, this is what they should've done when they played Ozzfest in 2005, because I can't imagine their headlining shows attract that many younger fans that haven't heard most of these songs already.

Also, what's with the wonky prices of Maiden albums on iTunes? I was looking the other night, and TNOTB is a great deal (like $8 or something) but albums like Powerslave were somewhere between $12-14. I thought that was a bit odd.

All said though, as soon as the tickets for Ohio go on sale, I'm buying some good ones :D

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I guess that's fair. Was it really necessary to create a whole "album" type of thing for it though? If anything, this is what they should've done when they played Ozzfest in 2005, because I can't imagine their headlining shows attract that many younger fans that haven't heard most of these songs already.

Also, what's with the wonky prices of Maiden albums on iTunes? I was looking the other night, and TNOTB is a great deal (like $8 or something) but albums like Powerslave were somewhere between $12-14. I thought that was a bit odd.

All said though, as soon as the tickets for Ohio go on sale, I'm buying some good ones :D

Maiden had the Early Days DVD out but maybe it would have been a good idea three years ago. A lot has happened in the music business in that time. I don't think a lot of bands were doing there kinds of things three years ago.

Good point on itunes.... I don't understand the pricing overall.... FotD is priced higher than 7th Son? Powerslave should be more expensive given the emphasis of the tour.. that I can understand.

The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago. The band is touring on a strong set list. It's a great year for Maiden fans. It's time for you to quit your bitching and start enjoying Maiden fully again. :bliss:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Maiden had the Early Days DVD out but maybe it would have been a good idea three years ago. A lot has happened in the music business in that time. I don't think a lot of bands were doing there kinds of things three years ago.

Good point on itunes.... I don't understand the pricing overall.... FotD is priced higher than 7th Son? Powerslave should be more expensive given the emphasis of the tour.. that I can understand.

The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago. The band is touring on a strong set list. It's a great year for Maiden fans. It's time for you to quit your bitching and start enjoying Maiden fully again. :bliss:
Yeah, that's true. I guess I'll buy that.

I don't either. It seems like most of the albums should be $9.99 - they're not new, and they're not exactly super long. I generally don't buy albums on iTunes if they're over $9.99, unless they're long, double disc, etc. It seems like by $13, you might as well go buy the CD.

:lol: I know, the set list is very good - that's primarily why I'm buying a ticket. I also decided that I should at least see them headlining/playing their own show.

Also, I did pick up the new Live After Death DVD the other week, so :tongue:

Maiden33
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
The set list is good, and great to see live, but I still think they really cut corners on it... only 2 songs from SIT, and only 3 from Seventh Son, including 2 of the most played songs over the years. I wasn't expecting anything extremely rare, but come on... hows about Stranger In a Strange Land? Infinite Dreams?

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that's true. I guess I'll buy that.

I don't either. It seems like most of the albums should be $9.99 - they're not new, and they're not exactly super long. I generally don't buy albums on iTunes if they're over $9.99, unless they're long, double disc, etc. It seems like by $13, you might as well go buy the CD.

:lol: I know, the set list is very good - that's primarily why I'm buying a ticket. I also decided that I should at least see them headlining/playing their own show.

Also, I did pick up the new Live After Death DVD the other week, so :tongue:

$9.99 is generally my max on itunes. More than that, I want the full package. $7.92 for an album is my online sweet spot.

I've really been enjoying that dvd.. well, all my maidens dvds... the flash pacing no longer bothers me even.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
$9.99 is generally my max on itunes. More than that, I want the full package. $7.92 for an album is my online sweet spot.

I've really been enjoying that dvd.. well, all my maidens dvds... the flash pacing no longer bothers me even.
Yeah, agreed.

Me too, I just watched the bonus disc the other day. I like the History of Iron Maiden stuff. I'm probably going to finally order the Death on the Road DVD too. Almost bought it at the store, but it's cheaper online.

es156
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago.

No it didn't!! :mad:

It won't be over until EvilCheese and I meet in the pit at a Maiden show and settle it once and for all. :hmm:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
No it didn't!! :mad:

It won't be over until EvilCheese and I meet in the pit at a Maiden show and settle it once and for all. :hmm:
:lol:

Are you going to the Ohio show by any chance?

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
The set list is good, and great to see live, but I still think they really cut corners on it... only 2 songs from SIT, and only 3 from Seventh Son, including 2 of the most played songs over the years. I wasn't expecting anything extremely rare, but come on... hows about Stranger In a Strange Land? Infinite Dreams?

Rime. That's the primary reason I disagree. Rime on top of Aces High, Powerslave, and Moonchild... that's a quarter of the set list that a lot of folks have never heard live before... not bad for a hits-based tour.

I wouldn't expect the band to reach too deeply on SIT or Seventh Son, although Infinite Dreams live would be a VERY GOOD thing in my book.

All of us need a longer set list. :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Rime. That's the primary reason I disagree. Rime on top of Aces High, Powerslave, and Moonchild... that's a quarter of the set list that a lot of folks have never heard live before... not bad for a hits-based tour.

I wouldn't expect the band to reach too deeply on SIT or Seventh Son, although Infinite Dreams live would be a VERY GOOD thing in my book.

I heaven't even heard "2 Minutes" live yet, so that plus + Aces High + Powerslave... meh. I'll be happy.

Fe Maiden
03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago. I did not know there was one! Who won?:confused:

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I did not know there was one! Who won?:confused:

A couple of year ago circa Ozzfest and the US-Euro spat on the IMBB... Bouville, Alan, ECW... I'm not sure who else really started going after Maiden here... prior to that time, Maiden had always been one of the few items everyone could generally agree on.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
A couple of year ago circa Ozzfest and the US-Euro spat on the IMBB... Bouville, Alan, ECW... I'm not sure who else really started going after Maiden here... prior to that time, Maiden had always been one of the few items everyone could generally agree on.
Yep...

Oh, I found this today: http://metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=51366&postcount=14

It's like ES was agreeing with me :dance:

;)

JRA
03-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Bouville and Allan are long gone though. :(

I think there's still traces of the so called "civil war" in the form of general criticism. Most things that ECW complained about were also brought up by newcomers or other long time Maiden fans.

Fe Maiden
03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
A couple of year ago circa Ozzfest and the US-Euro spat on the IMBB... Bouville, Alan, ECW... I'm not sure who else really started going after Maiden here... prior to that time, Maiden had always been one of the few items everyone could generally agree on.Oh yeah, I do remember some of that now!

SirLardsAlot
03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Under the album art: "Illustration by Derek Riggs"

Is Derek working with Maiden again? Or are they just giving him credit for the SIT and Powerslave Eddie's in the picture?

And I'm so glad they're using the old font in the logo again.

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I think there's still traces of the so called "civil war" in the form of general criticism. Most things that ECW complained about were also brought up by newcomers or other long time Maiden fans.

That Maiden is even a target for vocal criticism by elements of their core is a by-product of that time period..... wasn't always that way.

rjturtle9
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Under the album art: "Illustration by Derek Riggs"

Is Derek working with Maiden again? Or are they just giving him credit for the SIT and Powerslave Eddie's in the picture?

And I'm so glad they're using the old font in the logo again.

i know that's what i was thinking too. that would be cool if derek was back with maiden

es156
03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Yep...

Oh, I found this today: http://metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=51366&postcount=14

It's like ES was agreeing with me :dance:

;)

Ha ha! I never said I was a total fanboy. Even long-time fans were irritated with all of the ranting that Bruce did on OzzFest. However, as Ed can attest, he did not rant at all in Denver on the off-date.

(BTW, I don't remember calling Bruce an angry old man? Maybe Bouville did a little creative editing? :eyes:)

So, how long did it take to find that one post? :lol:

hot_turkey_ed
03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Ha ha! I never said I was a total fanboy. Even long-time fans were irritated with all of the ranting that Bruce did on OzzFest. However, as Ed can attest, he did not rant at all in Denver on the off-date.

(BTW, I don't remember calling Bruce an angry old man? Maybe Bouville did a little creative editing? :eyes:)

No.. he didn't seem angry... I nonetheless woofed a hot dog down in his honor as a form of my own personal Maiden protest. :blaze:

es156
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
No.. he didn't seem angry... I nonetheless woofed a hot dog down in his honor as a form of my own personal Maiden protest. :blaze:

Yeah, but after you ate the hot dog, we were rocking in the pit! :fist:

JRA
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM

:lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-18-2008, 06:03 PM

I wish I could've gone to the Denver off-date. If I could've afforded the travel, I would've!

I don't think there was any creative editing :tongue:

Actually, it didn't take that long. I was just looking for a link to some of the material from the "civil war" and I searched threads I started, as I figured some of it would've been in my Ozzfest '05 write-up, which there was. I had forgotten your post though, and figured you had as well, so it seemed like linking it was the right thing to do :D

Maiden33
03-19-2008, 03:14 AM

I'll give you Moonchild. That was a big surprise. However, just playing the others to me isn't thinking outside the box. I would've bet $100 that they played each one of those tracks simply because of the theme of the tour. If they didn't play Rime there would've been riots in the streets. Thus, just playing those songs doesn't really make them earn any points for me. Like I said, I'm not really bitching, it was a fucking incredible show.

Honestly, the set list isn't really lacking length. My gig last a full 2 hours.