PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons

powerslave_85
02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
It is, without a doubt in my mind, the greatest TV show ever created. It has well-rounded characters, plenty of honest emotion and heart, and it's idealogical without being preachy or biased. Oh, and it's also the funniest goddamned thing ever. Yes, it's not as good as it used to be, obviously, but what do you expect from a show that's in its 19th season? The best writers aren't going to stick around that long. If you can show me a show that's better than seasons 3-9 of the Simpsons, you're a liar (okay, I'll let you argue Futurama, but that's it). So, discuss your favorite episodes, quotes, characters, or whatever. My favorite episodes: Lisa the Vegetarian (the all-around best episode, IMO) and You Only Move Twice (the funniest). My favorite character is Lisa. And my two favorite quotes are these:

Homer: "Hank, do you have any sugar?"
Hank Scorpio: "Sugar...sugar..." *reaches into his pockets, pulls out handfuls of sugar* "Here ya go. Sorry it's not in packages."

Marge: "Have you noticed a change in Bart lately?"
Homer: "New glasses?"
Marge: "No, I think something might be troubling him."
Homer: "Probably misses his old glasses."
Marge: "I want to become more involved in his activities, but then I'd be afraid of smothering him."
Homer: "Yeah, then we'd get the chair."
Marge: "That's not what I meant!"
Homer: "It was, Marge, admit it."

SirLardsAlot
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
You just shot your own mustard!

SirLardsAlot
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
PS - Agreed on your original post about best show and the points you made.

Div
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
meh

elaboration: its entertaining, has memorable characters, way better than family guy (which was a good show at first but now im really fucking sick of seeing it everywhere. peter is stupid and stewie hates lois, WE GET IT) but best show ever? thats a pretty bold claim.

Wrathchild_84
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
PRAY FOR MOJO

Wrathchild_84
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
We tried nothing man and we're all out of ideas

SirLardsAlot
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
BTW ... Family Guy sucks.

overkiller
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Yes it does.

powerslave_85
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
If you think me saying it's the best show ever is controversial, you should see what happens when I tell people it's also the most pro-Christian show on TV.

EDIT: Actually, I should rephrase that. It's the most pro-religion show on TV.

JRA
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I never really watched the Simpsons when they first ran. I was more of a Beavis & Butthead guy in the 90's. But I actually went out and bought Season 4 of the Simpsons a few months back just to try and catch what I might have missed. I'm afraid I didn't miss jack shit. That PALED in comparison to the golden years of Family Guy, and the so-called "legendary" "Last Exit To Springfield" episode was stupid and boring. Lisa on an acoustic guitar and singing every 5 fucking minutes is not funny.

But I will admit this is:

Barney: (under the beer tap faucet guzzling away) UH OH! MY HEART JUST STOPPED!

[awkward pause]

Barney: (convulses) Oh There it goes! (continues drinking)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, while I realize that Family Guy's magic has come and gone, where the hell is this backlash coming from? I didn't hear anybody saying it sucked back in 2000.

Div
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
family guy just seems to be played out. they ran out of jokes (most of them just cheesy references to 80s sitcoms anyway) and seeing family guy movies "uncut and unrated" in the store are just pathetic attempts at trying to be popular. like that new star wars parody thing, whats with that?

powerslave_85
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I never really watched the Simpsons when they first ran. I was more of a Beavis & Butthead guy in the 90's. But I actually went out and bought Season 4 of the Simpsons a few months back just to try and catch what I might have missed. I'm afraid I didn't miss jack shit. That PALED in comparison to the golden years of Family Guy, and the so-called "legendary" "Last Exit To Springfield" episode was stupid and boring. Lisa on an acoustic guitar and singing every 5 fucking minutes is not funny.
I think it's interesting that you say that, because IMO season 4 had a huge influence on Family Guy's style of humor. Back then, they were doing tons of cut-away gags, flashbacks, and fantasy sequences that were often really bizarre and off-the-wall. The "Dental plan! Lisa needs braces!" sequence in Last Exit to Springfield alone probably spawned all of those Family Guy jokes that go on WAAAAAY too long.

Last Exit to Springfield isn't quite my favorite episode, but it's up there. It's certainly the most surreal and wacky episode, because it's just joke after joke throughout the whole thing.

By the way, while I realize that Family Guy's magic has come and gone, where the hell is this backlash coming from? I didn't hear anybody saying it sucked back in 2000.That's because it didn't suck back in 2000. Even at its best, though, I don't think it comes close to The Simpsons in its prime, but that's just my opinion. I still enjoy the pre-cancellation episodes quite a bit, and even a few after that, but the last season or two have just been complete atrocities.

zgodt
02-08-2008, 04:13 AM
I didn't hear anybody saying it sucked back in 2000.

I'll try to speak louder next time.

zgodt
02-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Nick, I'll grant you top 5 all time.

Seasons 2-5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the best thing that has ever been on television. Followed closely by Deadwood.

And even among comedies, I'd argue that Monty Python's Flying Circus was superior to the Simpsons.

JRA
02-08-2008, 05:10 AM
I think it's interesting that you say that, because IMO season 4 had a huge influence on Family Guy's style of humor. Back then, they were doing tons of cut-away gags, flashbacks, and fantasy sequences that were often really bizarre and off-the-wall. .

Oh, of course I'm well aware of the fact that the Simspons had an influence on, well, everything that came after it, I'm just saying that aside from aforementioned Barney moment, Season 4 it didn't exactly make me cry laugh.

DethMaiden
02-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Even though I slightly prefer the first three seasons of Family Guy, The Simpsons is brilliant and certainly more consistent.

As for my favorite show of all time, I'd say The Office (US) would take it.

theclansman1114
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM

CHEERS!!! Indeed it does!

The Simpsons or Seinfeld for me.

Fe Maiden
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
If you can show me a show that's better than seasons 3-9 of the Simpsons, you're a liar (okay, I'll let you argue Futurama, but that's it). There are some episodes of Futurama that are far superior to any Simpson's episode. Then again, there are some very good Simpson's episodes as well!

Div
02-08-2008, 12:11 PM
the only time I even turn on my television anymore is on tuesdays for House.

best show ive ever seen was a series called Monster, which was a really in depth psychological thriller with lots of well developed characters and cultural accuracies, as well as keeping the mystery going for the whole series. not sure if it counts though because it was never released in the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga)#The_Plot