PDA

View Full Version : Professional wrestling, anyone?

DethMaiden
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I know we talked about it a bit during the Chris Benoit controversy, but we didn't really get too deeply into the sport.

I honestly wasn't too crazy about it until around August when my brothers started watching it all the time, then I remember playing some awesome WCW games on N64, and I actually am starting to count myself a fan.
King Booker's TNA tour is hitting my town and I might be going (he's fighting Kurt Angle).

Is anybody else into pro wrestling? If I had to choose, I'd probably say The Undertaker is my favorite contemporary wrestler.

powerslave_85
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
*Shakes his head in disapproval at Brad*

DethMaiden
01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
*Shakes his head at the hypocritical NASCAR fan posting above him*

SomewhereInTime72
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
*shakes head in general*

JRA
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
*Shakes his head at the hypocritical NASCAR fan posting above him*

NASCAR?!?!?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.sydlexia.com/wrestlemaniablows.htm

This article sums up my feelings on wrestling.

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Goldberg & Sting > You

WCW > WWE

Div
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/91/1185315103153li7.jpg

Angelripper
01-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I am a huge fan. My favourites of all time include Austin, The Rock, Benoit, and Angle. My current favourites are Cena, Orton (mainly for his pose which he never does anymore), and Edge.

Wrestling is right now in a rut though, storylines have sucked, and Cena's too long reign was cut short by an unfortunate injury. And then there's the smarks who love to boo Cena because they think he has no workrate when nothing could be further from the truth. Look at his work and consistency in 2007.

Cena vs Umaga 'Last Man Standing' at the Royal Rumble - ****1/4
Cena/HBK vs Batista/Taker at No Way Out- ***3/4
Cena vs HBK at Wrestlemania - ****1/2
Cena vs HBK on RAW - ****1/2
Cena vs HBK vs Edge vs Orton at Backlash - ****3/4
Cena vs Foley vs Lashley vs Booker vs Orton at Vengeance - ***
Cena vs Lashley at Great American Bash - ***1/2
Cena vs Orton at Summerslam - ****

That's quite the record. The only PPVs this year that he didn't perform well at were Judgment Day and ONS against the Great Khali, and let's face it, no one alive could carry Khali to a decent bout. Unforgiven as well, but the horrible finish and time constrictions put a hamper on this match when it could have been as good as the Summerslam encounter.

Fe Maiden
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
*Shakes his head in disapproval*I guess they are good at acting:D

DethMaiden
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't give me the "it's all fake" bullshit. I know it's scripted and a lot of the blows aren't real, but I watch it for entertainment purposes, not because I'm astounded at their wrestling technique.

ChildrenofSodom
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Don't give me the "it's all fake" bullshit. I know it's scripted and a lot of the blows aren't real, but I watch it for entertainment purposes, not because I'm astounded at their wrestling technique.

I watch hobo fights for that

DethMaiden
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I watch hobo fights for that

:lol: :lol: :fist:

Fe Maiden
01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
a lot of the blows aren't realYou don't say! I'm shocked!;)

Angelripper
01-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Actually, you'd be surprised. A lot of the punches are pulled, but forearms, elbows, and chops are very real.

And if you want to watch some 'real' shoot wrestling, there's tonnes of promotions that have those. Or you could try Puroresu - Japanese Pro Wrestling. Those guys work so stiff, you can actually feel the pain.

JRA
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I actually heard that while most of the moves are real, its in a controlled environment. I've also heard that most of it is improv and the wrestlers are taking cues from each other during the matches.

Angelripper
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I actually heard that while most of the moves are real, its in a controlled environment. I've also heard that most of it is improv and the wrestlers are taking cues from each other during the matches.
It is in a controlled environment. Before the match starts, the wrestlers are told the outcome of the match and given a time limit. The purpose of the referee is not just to count the 3s and disqualify wrestlers; they also inform the wrestlers of crowd involvement, the time in the match, and when certain 'spots' should occur (i.e. a wrestler backstage runs to the ring to attack one of the wrestlers in action). Most things in the middle of the match are improvised, but the ifnish is usually planned to have as large an effect as possible.