PDA

View Full Version : Going back to Nu-Metal?

Angelripper
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Any of you guys? Do you find true Metal to be lacking something now? Personally, I am so burned out from true Metal, so I reverted back to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and others. Limp Bizkit in particular played pretty damn impressive music, and in my opinion only got a bad rep because of Fred Durst. LB as a band are damn talented, and their songwriting on the first few albums were fantastic, catchy, and above all, fun.

SomewhereInTime72
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
No.

Edit: To elaborate, when I get bored of metal, I listen to the plenty of non-metal that I listen to or just look for new bands that make me happy. I haven't really found a reason to go back to bands I stopped liking.

Div
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
No.

theclansman1114
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
no. nu metal... ugh.
:rolleyes:

overkiller
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Nu-metal was an artistically empty fad that's died in favor of metalcore/deathcore/etc. There's no reason to go back to it, just let it die.

ADD
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
It's the hair metal for the 2000s.

DethMaiden
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
We're being very civil considering the fact that he's just confessed he's listening to some of the worst music ever conceived by his own choice.

ChildrenofSodom
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
God killed Nu Metal for the same reason he killed hair metal and grunge: it wasnt good.

DethMaiden
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
God killed Nu Metal for the same reason he killed hair metal and grunge: it wasnt good.

God didn't kill grunge; he turned it into Nickelback.

For the record, I love the first wave of grunge. :hmm:

powerslave_85
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
The term "grunge" is bullshit anyways.

DethMaiden
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
The term "grunge" is bullshit anyways.

How so?

powerslave_85
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
How so?
Like many labels created by the media, it was a bogus catch-all term used to describe a bunch of bands that were all musically very different from each other, and it had more to do with where they came from and what clothes they wore than what their music sounded like. I mean, Alice and Chains and Soundgarden had much heavier, metal tendencies, Nirvana had a stripped down punk sound, and Pearl Jam was a rock band. None of the those bands sound anything like each other, but because they all wore flannel or some shit they were all lumped into the same group. Stupid.

DethMaiden
01-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Like many labels created by the media, it was a bogus catch-all term used to describe a bunch of bands that were all musically very different from each other, and it had more to do with where they came from and what clothes they wore than what their music sounded like. I mean, Alice and Chains and Soundgarden had much heavier, metal tendencies, Nirvana had a stripped down punk sound, and Pearl Jam was a rock band. None of the those bands sound anything like each other, but because they all wore flannel or some shit they were all lumped into the same group. Stupid.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I happen to like all of those bands, but I realize how different they are.

ravenheart
01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not getting bored with metal in the slightest. There're way too many good bands out there making way too many different styles to possibly get bored. It's the same deal as when people start complaining that new bands suck and nothing good gets released anymore. They're just looking in the wrong places, not making the effort to look for good bands, or listening to the wrong shit. It's all out there to be heard, you just got to go looking. And that actually goes for any genre you may listen to. I know plenty of indie and pop music fans who resent the fact that the radio doesn't spoon-feed them the good stuff and they have to make the effort to find decent music for themselves, so proclaim modern music crap.

Agreed on the "grunge" label thing (for me, AIC and Soundgarden are great, PJ should have been but wimped out after Vs, Nirvana made approximately three good songs). "Hair Metal" is pretty much the same. Just another tabloid term created for a few cheap laughs. Loads of the bands around at the time were great, and still are.

JRA
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I like how this is slowly turning from LOL LIMP BIZKIT THREAD to the "90's hard rock discussion thread." :D

ChildrenofSodom
01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Live owns, fyi.

Angelripper
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not getting bored with metal in the slightest. There're way too many good bands out there making way too many different styles to possibly get bored. It's the same deal as when people start complaining that new bands suck and nothing good gets released anymore. They're just looking in the wrong places, not making the effort to look for good bands, or listening to the wrong shit. It's all out there to be heard, you just got to go looking. And that actually goes for any genre you may listen to. I know plenty of indie and pop music fans who resent the fact that the radio doesn't spoon-feed them the good stuff and they have to make the effort to find decent music for themselves, so proclaim modern music crap.

Agreed on the "grunge" label thing (for me, AIC and Soundgarden are great, PJ should have been but wimped out after Vs, Nirvana made approximately three good songs). "Hair Metal" is pretty much the same. Just another tabloid term created for a few cheap laughs. Loads of the bands around at the time were great, and still are.
Alright, recommend me something good.

Maiden33
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Alright, recommend me something good.

Dungeon - One Step Beyond

I'm gonna go out a limb and assume you're not going to like it. Anyone who finds redeemable qualities in Limp Bizkit would probably have their head explode if they listened to something as awesome as Dungeon.

powerslave_85
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm all about digging out albums that I haven't listened to in a long time, but I draw the line at nu-metal.

Angelripper
01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Dungeon - One Step Beyond

I'm gonna go out a limb and assume you're not going to like it. Anyone who finds redeemable qualities in Limp Bizkit would probably have their head explode if they listened to something as awesome as Dungeon.
Hur Hur Hur.

I have A Rise to Power and it is shit.

ADD
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah I always wondered why AIC and Soundgarden got lumped with those bands, they sound way different than Nirvana that's for sure. And not coincidentally are also way better than Nirvana.

TonyD
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Wait, do you mean its not cool to listen to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park anymore???

floydhunter9
01-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Well it's not 2000 anymore, is it?

JRA
01-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Well it's not 2000 anymore, is it?

:lol:

Maiden33
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Hur Hur Hur.

I have A Rise to Power and it is shit.

You really think that bothers me?

I already have absolutely 0 faith in your opinions, if only from just the simple fact that you created this thread.

Angelripper
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
You really think that bothers me?

I already have absolutely 0 faith in your opinions, if only from just the simple fact that you created this thread.
What the heck? Seriously, if that bothered you, then you must have serious issues...

And you have no faith in my opinion because I like a genre of music that is looked down upon by others? Aren't you the one defending Power Metal? FFS dude, get laid or something...

Angelripper
01-05-2008, 09:09 AM
When I said Nu-Metal, I wasn't just referring to Limp Bizkit and stuff. I know plenty of people hate them. But there are other bands in that genre too - Korn, Slipknot, heck even System of a Down could qualify! I'm sure some of you guys like SOAD, even though I personally don't like them...

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
When I said Nu-Metal, I wasn't just referring to Limp Bizkit and stuff. I know plenty of people hate them. But there are other bands in that genre too - Korn, Slipknot, heck even System of a Down could qualify! I'm sure some of you guys like SOAD, even though I personally don't like them...

I like SOAD. :snivel:

Angelripper
01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Well, I like a few songs, but I find the vocals a bit too ethnic for my tastes. Still though, BYOB has a damn catchy refrain.

Div
01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
soad wouldnt be so bad if it werent for serj tankian, i find him to be one incredibly annoying motherfucker.

SomewhereInTime72
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
soad wouldnt be so bad if it werent for serj tankian, i find him to be one incredibly annoying motherfucker.

You must fucking mean Daron Malakian please.

Edit: I kind of have a soft spot for SOAD and Disturbed. Still don't listen to 'em much though.

Div
01-05-2008, 12:40 PM
You must fucking mean Daron Malakian please.

Edit: I kind of have a soft spot for SOAD and Disturbed. Still don't listen to 'em much though.

dont know much about him, im just sick of seeing serj run around acting like the new frank zappa or something. i dont care much for his voice either.

SomewhereInTime72
01-05-2008, 12:42 PM
dont know much about him, im just sick of seeing serj run around acting like the new frank zappa or something. i dont care much for his voice either.

Hahaha, yeah that's kinda annoying.

Human_Metal
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Korn

I've got their 5 first albums and i listen to them quite much :eyes:

ADD
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah they're the most artistically viable band from that era of music by far.

JRA
01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, I like a few songs, but I find the vocals a bit too ethnic for my tastes.

:wtf:

ChildrenofSodom
01-05-2008, 06:16 PM
:wtf:

Sounds like he hates the towelheads.

Dimebag_Rusty
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
i dunno personaly i like korn and slipknot.. but they arent my top choices in music (well maybe korn)

hair metal i like too actualy.. motley crue, warrant, later KISS and such... hmm

cant say i hate nu-metal at all

OH and system of a down, mushroomhead, and mudvayne i like too

es156
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah I always wondered why AIC and Soundgarden got lumped with those bands, they sound way different than Nirvana that's for sure. And not coincidentally are also way better than Nirvana.

Very true.

Sounds like a personal problem.

TonyD
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah they're the most artistically viable band from that era of music by far.

Its funny because I remember Daron mentioning something in an interview. When they got popular, nu metal was the thing. They got labeled as nu metal. And around Mezmerize/Hypnotize was when the whole Coheed and Cambria/Dillinger Escape Plan type prog shit was becoming popular, and SOAD was beginning to be seen as more of a prog band.
I got burnt out on their music pretty fast, but I still like them. You have to give them props for playing without much influence from the current musical climate. And I liked Daron's schtik at Ozzfest... "YOUR COMPUTER IS GOING TO KILL YOU!"

Fe Maiden
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Wait, do you mean its not cool to listen to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park anymore???Was it ever?

ADD
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Was it ever?
6th and 7th grade.

DethMaiden
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
6th and 7th grade.

You are such a loser. I was so into Maiden and Blind Guardian that year. :tp:

:tongue:

ADD
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
You are such a loser. I was so into Maiden and Blind Guardian that year. :tp:

:tongue:
So was I :cool: Seriously :lol: They use to overlap a little bit, for maybe a couple months at most.