PDA

View Full Version : KARL SANDERS TO OFFER GUITAR LESSONS IN THE U.S.

DarkTwilight
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
from www.nile-catacombs.com

KARL SANDERS TO OFFER GUITAR LESSONS
IN THE U.S.
- 2 January 2007 -

Nile guitarist Karl Sanders (recently featured in Guitar World Magazine's "Betcha Can't Play This", and also ranked 4 in the Top 20 Death Metal Guitarists by Decibel Magazine) will be offering guitar lessons across the U.S. during the forthcoming Nile tour in Spring 2008.
Lessons will include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- extreme Metal Guitar Techniques,
- melodic Guitar Application
within a Death Metal Context,
- warm-up routines,
- chops-building exercises.
Sessions are intended for intermediate to
advanced students.
Lessons will be at the show venues in the cities along the routed dates of the Nile tour, on a first come first served basis. The the cost of lessons are $100 per hour.

There will be a maximum of 4 students per session to insure that every student gets personal attention and a quality learning experience.

Most students will be invited to stay to watch Nile's sound-check after the lesson, and all students will be put on the guest list for the show.

I already signed up for the lesson in philly... im suprised this hasn't been posted yet...

Dimebag_Rusty
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
i wish they had a show in toronto

TonyD
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I first saw this and thought it was outrageous. But now that I see the soundcheck/guestlist thing it might be worth it.
50 bucks for an hour guitar lesson
50 bucks for VIP pass. not too bad

DarkTwilight
01-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I first saw this and thought it was outrageous. But now that I see the soundcheck/guestlist thing it might be worth it.
50 bucks for an hour guitar lesson
50 bucks for VIP pass. not too bad

yeah thats what i was sayin. I thought it was ridiculous at first, but when I used to get guitar lessons, they were a half hour for 20 bucks... so an hour straight lesson, thats like 40 bucks, so you pay 10 more to have it from colonel sanders (lol) from nile, and all the other shit... cant go wrong there.

Anyone else going to this show/signing up for the lesson?

TonyD
01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't think I'm up to par for lesson from basically, one of the best death metal guitarists ever. But I will be at the show.
Me and a couple friends have been thinking, instead of going in corpse paint, doing gold and blue egyptian face paint. Just for the lulz.

Spiral_Slave
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
You've gotta be kidding me. The guy isn't even good. Not even CLOSE to worth playing 100 dollars for.

DarkTwilight
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
You've gotta be kidding me. The guy isn't even good. Not even CLOSE to worth playing 100 dollars for.

Yeah, if all I got to do was pay 100 dollars, go in for the lesson and leave, I'd say no, but I don't even have to think about whether or not I am going to this concert, and thats like 20 bucks a ticket, plus that nasty convenience charge ticket master charges.... saves 30 bucks? Now were at 70 bucks for the lesson... 70 bucks for the hour long lesson and to chill with nile... i've been playing guitar for a while, and I don't play too much death metal stuff, and although this guy doesn't stand up to the other guitar legends out there, i think he can definetly teach the average player a thing or two about shredding... i mean his "betcha can't play this" video on youtube isnt that good, but just listen to some nile... its not like, the greatest bargain in the world, but its not a bad deal

Spiral_Slave
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, if all I got to do was pay 100 dollars, go in for the lesson and leave, I'd say no, but I don't even have to think about whether or not I am going to this concert, and thats like 20 bucks a ticket, plus that nasty convenience charge ticket master charges.... saves 30 bucks? Now were at 70 bucks for the lesson... 70 bucks for the hour long lesson and to chill with nile... i've been playing guitar for a while, and I don't play too much death metal stuff, and although this guy doesn't stand up to the other guitar legends out there, i think he can definetly teach the average player a thing or two about shredding... i mean his "betcha can't play this" video on youtube isnt that good, but just listen to some nile... its not like, the greatest bargain in the world, but its not a bad deal

I guess if you look at it that way it's a little more understandable. Still just seems like a cash grab by Nile, though.

DethMaiden
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Would I pay him 100 dollars? No.

Is he a great guitarist? Well, hell yeah.

Spiral_Slave
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Would I pay him 100 dollars? No.

Is he a great guitarist? Well, hell yeah.

After listening to Nile, his solo stuff, and watching his BETCHA CANT PLAY THIS video, I can't find one single thing that would deem him a great guitar player. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right places.

DarkTwilight
01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
After listening to Nile, his solo stuff, and watching his BETCHA CANT PLAY THIS video, I can't find one single thing that would deem him a great guitar player. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right places.

you write a shitload of songs that have a completely different sound from the rest of the death metal scene and make albums that people vote metal album of the year (not saying their new one is the best of 2007, but its up there) being a great guitar player doesn't mean having the greatest musicianship, it has something to do with songwriting also. Would I pick him out of a list of top 100 metal guitarists for lessons? No. If I had to pick, I'd probably get Tony Iommi... is he a good instructor? He definetly has some brains to get himself where he is now, and I doubt he would offer lessons if he was a sucky teacher. If Adrian Smith was as good as teaching as he is at writing killer songs, I would pay 500 for a lesson with him. But that opportunity isn't coming around... I stopped getting lessons from local guitar teachers once I realized I can shred better than them (not trying to build an ego, i never had a metalhead guitar teacher), and I am all about an hour long lesson focused on "extreme metal techniques". If I don't learn anything, at least I would have got to chill with nile... just an expensive VIP pass right? Not everyone could afford this, but I just don't see why people hate nile/karl sanders. Its just really good music, and if your not into death metal, why are you on this site?

Maiden33
01-04-2008, 10:07 PM
and if your not into death metal, why are you on this site?

Dumbest thing I've seen on this board in a long time. And that's saying quite a lot when you consider the caliber of most of this board's posters.

overkiller
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Dumbest thing I've seen on this board in a long time. And that's saying quite a lot when you consider the caliber of most of this board's posters.

DERP DERP DERP

Maiden33
01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
DERP DERP DERP

You can never come up with anything except 7-yeard-old-esque comments can you? :tp:

overkiller
01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
You can never come up with anything except 7-yeard-old-esque comments can you? :tp:

DERKA DERRRRRRRRR

METAL BOARD GOOOOOOD, YOU LEAVVEEEEEE DERP DERP

DarkTwilight
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM

What the hell are you talking about. When it comes to metalheads liking death metal or not, the only thing stupid is people who refuse to accept that the sound of metal is changing, and you ONLY listen to "classic" metal bands, black sabbath maiden slayer dio priest megadeth metallica ect... and some power metal stuff (since it has the most similar sound to those bands... not so much slayer and megadeth but you know) like theres nothing wrong with it, but you can't just go out and say death metal is an illegitimate part of metal. I'm not claiming that you think that way or anyone else on this site thinks that way, as long as everyone recognizes death metal as a valid subgenre thats appropriate for this site. some hardcore or metalcore, now thats more questionable... but people saying shit about nile on THIS website, thats just flat out ridiculous...

es156
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
What the hell are you talking about. When it comes to metalheads liking death metal or not, the only thing stupid is people who refuse to accept that the sound of metal is changing, and you ONLY listen to "classic" metal bands, black sabbath maiden slayer dio priest megadeth metallica ect... and some power metal stuff (since it has the most similar sound to those bands... not so much slayer and megadeth but you know) like theres nothing wrong with it, but you can't just go out and say death metal is an illegitimate part of metal. I'm not claiming that you think that way or anyone else on this site thinks that way, as long as everyone recognizes death metal as a valid subgenre thats appropriate for this site. some hardcore or metalcore, now thats more questionable... but people saying shit about nile on THIS website, thats just flat out ridiculous...

Do you think death metal just "happened" last week? Death metal has probably been around longer than you have been alive. What exactly is changing?

Maiden33
01-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Alright, I'll disect this into parts.

-As es156 just mentioned, Metal isn't just "changing" now, it's been evolving for decades now.
-I dislike Black Sabbath with Ozzy, I hate Slayer, Judas Priest and Metallica are both overrated, and Dave Mustaine can't sing. That just kind of voids that little statement now doesn't it?
-I don't in any way look at death metal as an "illegitimate" part of metal. I do however frown upon such a statement as "if you're not into death metal, why are you on this site?". I could find you a good number of people on this board who don't like death metal. You're just trying to support your arguement with faulty logic.

ADD
01-05-2008, 01:14 AM
:rolleyes:

Maiden33
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
:rolleyes:

I thought you were one of the reasonable people on this board that I could actually get along with?

I just think it's incredible stupid when someone can't not only find something remotely intelligent to say, they have to respond with some stupid ass comment that a 6 year old could make.

overkiller
01-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I thought you were one of the reasonable people on this board that I could actually get along with?

I just think it's incredible stupid when someone can't not only find something remotely intelligent to say, they have to respond with some stupid ass comment that a 6 year old could make.

There are a lot of time on messageboards I find people saying such crap that wasting my time typing a response that won't even get us anywhere because the argument is so fucking stupid to begin with simply isn't worth it. It's more fun to provoke you.

ADD
01-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Yeah dude but don't diss Brady.

DarkTwilight
01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Do you think death metal just "happened" last week? Death metal has probably been around longer than you have been alive. What exactly is changing?

well no shit... do you think im fucking retarded... what I mean is there are the maiden fanboys/classic metal fanboys, i just named some example bands... yeah didn't you see the part where I said MAYBE YOU DONT FALL UNDER THAT CATEGORY? oh shit we have dumb posters... but its okay, im starting to realize that the most important part about metal is that all its fans have to be fucking retarded, after posting on this site.

sure, death metal has been around for a very long time, but IT IS CONTINUING, and the NWOBHM genre, while a great genre, is just dead now. That had its time in the 80's, now its time for a new sound. I mean, Bruce even said it himself, when they released No Prayer for the Dying, he said he wanted to go back to their old sound. And just look at how great that CD was (not a bad cd, but you get the point).

As the other classic metal bands die out, other bands will be taking their place, if you asked someone in the 80's what their idea of current metal was, they could tell you iron maiden judas priest metallica megadeth slayer black sabbath ect... in the future, you just aren't going to get the same response. I'm not trying to judge anyone on this site, but at least people I know, are going to stick around worshipping all the old bands (which are good dont get me wrong), and just listening to a select few poser power metal bands (again, not mentioning any names), and then go out and say nile sucks, im just like FUCK YOU :finger2:

I think you would understand if you hung out with people who downloaded every discography of every power metal band imagineable :D

es156
01-05-2008, 10:29 PM
well no shit... do you think im fucking retarded... what I mean is there are the maiden fanboys/classic metal fanboys, i just named some example bands... yeah didn't you see the part where I said MAYBE YOU DONT FALL UNDER THAT CATEGORY? oh shit we have dumb posters... but its okay, im starting to realize that the most important part about metal is that all its fans have to be fucking retarded, after posting on this site.

sure, death metal has been around for a very long time, but IT IS CONTINUING, and the NWOBHM genre, while a great genre, is just dead now. That had its time in the 80's, now its time for a new sound. I mean, Bruce even said it himself, when they released No Prayer for the Dying, he said he wanted to go back to their old sound. And just look at how great that CD was (not a bad cd, but you get the point).

As the other classic metal bands die out, other bands will be taking their place, if you asked someone in the 80's what their idea of current metal was, they could tell you iron maiden judas priest metallica megadeth slayer black sabbath ect... in the future, you just aren't going to get the same response. I'm not trying to judge anyone on this site, but at least people I know, are going to stick around worshipping all the old bands (which are good dont get me wrong), and just listening to a select few poser power metal bands (again, not mentioning any names), and then go out and say nile sucks, im just like FUCK YOU :finger2:

I think you would understand if you hung out with people who downloaded every discography of every power metal band imagineable :D

If you don't like this site or the people on it, just let me know. I have a solution for you. However, if you want to stay around for awhile - chill out.

DarkTwilight
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
If you don't like this site or the people on it, just let me know. I have a solution for you. However, if you want to stay around for awhile - chill out.

sorry ive been posting like really drunk and high earlier, niles a great band, if you dont think so, thats fine. i just think the lessons is a good buy. if you really give the band a good listen, you might like it. try in their darkened shrines (i am drunk as i type so that may not be it)

sorry guys!

:rocker: