PDA

View Full Version : MetalSetlists Top Ten Albums of 2007: Voting Thread

DethMaiden
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Ah, why the hell not. Your lists aren't due until January 14th at which point the final tally will occur, but I know some people are fairly confident of their lists right now and I'm bored enough to do this.

Rules:

Any studio album (including EPs, demos, splits, covers albums, those Sodom and Destruction albums where they played old songs over again in the studio) officially released in 2007 in either Europe or the States is eligible.

It should go without saying, but there's no nonsensical "metal only" rule. Let's be proud of our diversity.

#1 gets 10 points, #2 gets 9 points, etc. If you heard less than ten albums (which I'm not sure this even applies to anyone here since the only people who that normally would apply to heard zero albums this year), your #1 is only worth as many points as the total number of albums you ranked.

Running totals may or may not be posted at my discretion.

Have fun, and don't fucking let Megadeth or Iced Earth on our site list!

DethMaiden
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
My list, after much listening, re-listening, and thinking:

1. Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet
2. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
3. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
4. Witchcraft- The Alchemist
5. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
6. Baroness- Red Album
7. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
8. Redemption- The Origins of Ruin
9. Coheed And Cambria- Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 2: No World for Tomorrow
10. Blackfield- Blackfield II

Let the games begin.

Maiden33
12-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Woah there sally. I'm gonna need till at least January 5th-10th ish before I give my honest list.

ADD
12-26-2007, 09:32 PM
9. Coheed And Cambria- Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 2: No World for Tomorrow

Fuckin garbage. You suck. HOW in the FUCK does Rwake not make your list, or even 3IOB for that matter, and this does?

metal_man1019
12-27-2007, 05:57 AM
1.Redemption - The Origins Of Ruin
2.Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion
3.Porcupine Tree- Fear Of A Blank Planet
4.Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
5.Gamma Ray - Land Of the Free II
6.Symphony X - Paradise Lost
7.Municple Waste - The Art Of Partying
8.Three Inches Of Blood - Fire Up The Blades
9.Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
10. Rwake - Voices Of Omens

floydhunter9
12-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I didn't really dig too deep this year to find the really obscure stuff. And when I did, I wasn't too impressed. So I'm sticking with this.

MODIFIED 12/29/07 (I'll probably modify it a lot >_>)

1. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
2. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
3. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
4. Coheed & Cambria - No World for Tomorrow
5. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
6. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
7. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
9. The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
10. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

DethMaiden
12-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Fuckin garbage. You suck. HOW in the FUCK does Rwake not make your list, or even 3IOB for that matter, and this does?

Did you listen to it, or do you hate it on principle? I think it's a killer album. Infectiously catchy yet deceptively progressive.

DethMaiden
12-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Woah there sally. I'm gonna need till at least January 5th-10th ish before I give my honest list.

January 14th is the last day, you're good ;)

Spiral_Slave
12-27-2007, 12:21 PM
01. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
02. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
03. Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
04. Sonata Arctica - Unia
05. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
06. Dark Moor - Tarot
07. Primal Fear - New Religion
08. Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free Pt. II
09. Astral Doors - New Revelation
10. Kamelot - Ghost Opera

Maiden33
12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
06. Dark Moor - Tarot

So much for us exchanging CDs then I guess?

Spiral_Slave
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
So much for us exchanging CDs then I guess?

I haven't been able to contact you at all for the last week.

Maiden33
12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I haven't been able to contact you at all for the last week.

Did you really need to? We already decided basically disc for disc what the other was getting and the voting here doesnt end until 1/14, so there was still some purpose behind it. Oh well. Looks like we'll go for year #3 where I have 2 albums on my list in common with anyone else.

theclansman1114
12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
06. Dark Moor - Tarot

Unia over Land of the Free II eh? :eyes::hecho::rolleyes:

Nick
12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
1. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
2. Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
3. Amaran's Plight - Voice in the Light
4. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
5. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
6. Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie
7. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
8. Silent Force - Walk the Earth
9. Rush - Snakes and Arrows
10. Dominici - 03: A Trilogy - Part Two

Also worth mentioning is the other end of the scale, I have a very obvious bottom two.
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Labyrinth - Six Days to Nowhere

Used to include Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura as an obvious bottom feeder, however it has grown on me a tad in the last listen or two.

Maiden33
12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Unia over Land of the Free II eh? :eyes::hecho::rolleyes:

Honestly, Unia has grown on me. But ranking it 4th is absolutely shocking. Even though I can now say I actually like a couple of the songs, I wouldn't rank it higher than like 36th of my 42 releases.

es156
12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
06. Dark Moor - Tarot

I can't believe that Ghost Opera is 10th on your list.

:hmm:

DethMaiden
12-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I can't believe that Ghost Opera is 10th on your list.

I can't believe it's on his list :barf:

es156
12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I can't believe it's on his list :barf:

Ghost Opera is better than everything on your crappy list except for PT and Redemption.

:hecho:

DethMaiden
12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Ghost Opera is better than everything on your crappy list except for PT and Redemption.

:lol: :lol: I didn't even listen to the Kamelot so I can't really judge it. Kinda like you didn't even listen to the eight albums on my list you bashed ;)

Div
12-29-2007, 07:21 PM
:lol: :lol: I didn't even listen to the Kamelot so I can't really judge it. Kinda like you didn't even listen to the eight albums on my list you bashed ;)

Don't worry, the album sucked, what you said was correct. :D

Maiden33
12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

I agree with your statement, but Ghost Opera is a really weak Kamelot album.

es156
12-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Not true. The only bands that I have not heard on your list are Baroness and Explosions in the Sky. I will admit that I have not listened to entire albums by the other bands, but that is only because I could not make it through an entire album by those bands.

;)

es156
12-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree with your statement, but Ghost Opera is a really weak Kamelot album.

Ghost Opera is actually the song that got me into Kamelot and I think it is an excellent album.

:bliss:

JRA
12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Not true. The only bands that I have not heard on your list are Baroness and Explosions in the Sky. I will admit that I have not listened to entire albums by the other bands, but that is only because I could not make it through an entire album by those bands.

;)

So, in your own words, how would you describe Pig Destroyer? :D

es156
12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
So, in your own words, how would you describe Pig Destroyer? :D

The same way I would describe all of the barnyard bands:

:barf:

Maiden33
12-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Ghost Opera is actually the song that got me into Kamelot and I think it is an excellent album.

:bliss:

I don't think it's bad, but after that streak of 3 or 4 amazing albums, I think it comes off as a signifigant dissapointment. But I feel that that's more or less the motif of this entire year for me.

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM

;)

I really can't believe you don't like Witchcraft, but to each his own.

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Kinda sucks having metal-archives down to those still coming up with lists, eh?

es156
12-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I really can't believe you don't like Witchcraft, but to each his own.

70's Sabbath riffs with 70's production and a bad Swedish singer....what's not to like? Throw in the occasional flute passage and plenty of LSD and you've got a winning combination, right?

:tp:

By the way, you know I'm just busting your chops, so don't take it personally. I am sure that I listen to a lot of things that you (and everyone else on this board) would hate.

:cool:

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
70's Sabbath riffs with 70's production and a bad Swedish singer....what's not to like? Throw in the occasional flute passage and plenty of LSD and you've got a winning combination, right?

By the way, you know I'm just busting your chops, so don't take it personally. I am sure that I listen to a lot of things that you (and everyone else on this board) would hate.

:lol: Show me another band who does old-school as well as Witchcraft though. You've accurately described them, but they nail that style. :cool:

And yeah, I know you listen to lots of crappy music too. ;)

es156
12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
And yeah, I know you listen to lots of crappy music too. ;)

Yeah, you know it, but at least I don't listen to Clutch. Every time you guys start blathering about that band I think I must have missed something. So I hit MySpace and, yeah, I'm not missing anything. And please don't get me started on the lyrics. (Is he really singing about a bake sale? Please step away from the crack pipe.) :hecho:

:lol:

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah, you know it, but at least I don't listen to Clutch. Every time you guys start blathering about that band I think I must have missed something. So I hit MySpace and, yeah, I'm not missing anything. And please don't get me started on the lyrics. (Is he really singing about a bake sale? Please step away from the crack pipe.) :hecho:

:lol: :lol: The lyrics are brilliant. Not everyone can write about conventional topics. ;)

SomewhereInTime72
12-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't really know about Clutch... I heard some things and it was okay, some kickass riffs, but as a whole not mind-blowing or anything. But then what I've heard from the new album was just like, boring as shit. They're just a band that I can't get too interested in, I guess.

es156
12-30-2007, 01:12 PM
:lol: :lol: The lyrics are brilliant. Not everyone can write about conventional topics. ;)

Conventional of confectional? I think in one of the other songs he was singing about rice-a-roni. :eyes:

PowerMaiden
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I won't be able to vote this year as I didn't buy any 2007 release but seiing you guys lists I think I didn't miss anything :D

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SomewhereInTime72
12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I want to avoid constantly editing my post and stuff, so it'll be a few more days till I post something.

es156
12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
I want to avoid constantly editing my post and stuff, so it'll be a few more days till I post something.

I want to avoid editing your post and stuff, too, so make sure your list is good.

:dgrin:

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Conventional of confectional? I think in one of the other songs he was singing about rice-a-roni. :eyes:

"Condoleezza Rice is nice but I prefer a-roni" :D

I won't be able to vote this year as I didn't buy any 2007 release but seiing you guys lists I think I didn't miss anything :D

Well, seeing as Maiden didn't release an album this year, I don't think there's anything you would have been too interested in :tp:

es156
12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
"Condoleezza Rice is nice but I prefer a-roni" :D

JRA
12-30-2007, 02:43 PM
The first time I heard Clutch, I thought it sounded like Black Label Society. BLS is not a band that should be singing about Bake Sales or rice-o-roni.

PowerMaiden
12-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, seeing as Maiden didn't release an album this year, I don't think there's anything you would have been too interested in :tp:

actually I did get the latest Megadeth and Iced Earth albums but they suck so bad I didn't even thought about them

so my official vote should goes like this

1. Megadeth - United Abominations
2. Iced Earth - Framming Armageddon

but to answer you post, nobody in my favourite bands released an album in 2007:

Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
Children Of Bodom
Slayer
System Of A Down
Metallica
Amon Amarth
Black Sabbath
Offenbach
B L A Z E
Venom
Sepultura \ Soulfly
Dio
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Bruce Dickinson
Ozzy Osbourne (did is last shit was a 2007 release ?)
Accept
Pantera
Metal Church
Alice In Chains
Bob Marley
Rage Against The Machine
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Soundgarden
Rush
Deep Purple
Blind Guardian

that's explain my lack of 2007 albums

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
12-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Rush

Snakes & Arrows? :eyes:

PowerMaiden
12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Snakes & Arrows? :eyes:

then I should get it, is it good ?

I'm not really into them anymore, shame on me

Cherers !
PowerMaiden

Nick
12-30-2007, 04:35 PM
After that abortion of an album that Vapor Trails was by Rush standards, Snakes and Arrows showed an excellent return to form, both in the songs and in the sound. Although I was very skeptical of the producer going into the album he managed to get the most out of the boys as well as do a fantastic job recording the album. It is definitely a must have for any Rush fans.

JRA
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM
then I should get it, is it good ?

I'm not really into them anymore, shame on me

Cherers !
PowerMaiden

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH POWERMAIDEN?

JRA
12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
After that abortion of an album that Vapor Trails was by Rush standards, Snakes and Arrows showed an excellent return to form, both in the songs and in the sound. Although I was very skeptical of the producer going into the album he managed to get the most out of the boys as well as do a fantastic job recording the album. It is definitely a must have for any Rush fans.

I don't know if I'd go calling Vapor Trails an abortion. The production might have sucked, but One Little Victory was one of the best songs they ever did.

ravenheart
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think any of these will be on anyone else's list save maybe Symphony X:

1. Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
2. Nation Beyond - The Aftermath Odyssey
3. Emigrate - Emigrate
4. Wall of Sleep - …And Hell Followed With Him
5. Volbeat - Rock The Rebel/Metal The Devil
6. House of Games - Rise And Shine
7. Lions Share - Emotional Coma
8. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
9. Hellyeah - Hellyeah
10. McQueen - Break The Silence

ravenheart
12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
Children Of Bodom
Slayer
System Of A Down
Metallica
Amon Amarth
Black Sabbath
Offenbach
B L A Z E
Venom
Sepultura \ Soulfly
Dio
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Bruce Dickinson
Ozzy Osbourne (did is last shit was a 2007 release ?)
Accept
Pantera
Metal Church
Alice In Chains
Bob Marley
Rage Against The Machine
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Soundgarden
Rush
Deep Purple
Blind Guardian

In metal terms that's all very... main stream :finger:

es156
12-30-2007, 05:01 PM

1. Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
2. Nation Beyond - The Aftermath Odyssey

The variety is what makes this so much fun each year. We will be debating this stuff for weeks. And both of those CD's have a chance to be on my list.

Nick
12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
One Little Victory was one of the best songs they ever did.

I agree, however it is also the *only* fantastic track on that album. There are a few other good ones, but overall it's easily their worst album. (Which means it's still an average album in the general music populace :))

Div
12-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I need to choose one more album for my list, and from the looks of things so far I don't see many of my choices either.

es156
12-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I agree, however it is also the *only* fantastic track on that album. There are a few other good ones, but overall it's easily their worst album. (Which means it's still an average album in the general music populace :))

It is extremely difficult for me to rank Rush albums, but there is no way that Vapor Trails is their worst. I would easily rank Roll The Bones and Test For Echo below VT.

ADD
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Vapor Trails is the 3rd best Rush album.

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 06:12 PM
For me, Rush were completely perfect from 1976 until 1984, and everything before '76 and after '84 kinda ties for that next place on the list.

ravenheart
12-30-2007, 06:14 PM
The variety is what makes this so much fun each year. We will be debating this stuff for weeks. And both of those CD's have a chance to be on my list.

I'm just pleased someone else has actually heard the Nation Beyond disc.

DethMaiden
12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I'll post a "thus far" list on January 1st, then the official two weeks will start.

And variety was alluded to earlier: with only seven lists submitted, we have 47 different albums receiving votes.

Nick
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
It is extremely difficult for me to rank Rush albums, but there is no way that Vapor Trails is their worst. I would easily rank Roll The Bones and Test For Echo below VT.

I can understand where you are coming from with Test For Echo, but Roll the Bones is a favorite of mine, and I'd say it's light years ahead of Vapor Trails.

es156
12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I can understand where you are coming from with Test For Echo, but Roll the Bones is a favorite of mine, and I'd say it's light years ahead of Vapor Trails.

Back in '91, I almost choked when I heard the rap part of Roll The Bones for the first time. It was quite a while before I listened to that CD for the second time. Half of the songs are among the weakest that Rush has ever written. And to make things even worse they played Roll The Bones on every tour since then until they finally dropped it this year. :hecho:

JRA
12-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Back in '91, I almost choked when I heard the rap part of Roll The Bones for the first time. It was quite a while before I listened to that CD for the second time. Half of the songs are among the weakest that Rush has ever written. And to make things even worse they played Roll The Bones on every tour since then until they finally dropped it this year. :hecho:

:party: :party: :party: :party:

PowerMaiden
12-31-2007, 07:30 AM
In metal terms that's all very... main stream :finger:

so what !?!, that's all the bands I like ...

got a problem with that, well FUCK YOU TOO !!

You guys here in metalsetlist should be more friendly with each other and stop laughing at people or make rude comments or give fingers because someone's favourite band is not you cup of tea. I'm 36 years old buddy with wife and kids so yes I don't have time to listen to every single band that goes out but so fucking WHAT ??? I'm still following a lot of bands, anyway I don't get your point :rolleyes:

back to Rush, thanks for your input people but, the last few years I've been a lot more into metal, I don't know, I need the agression so great bands like Rush, Pearl Jam & Deep Purple have been put asside ...

unfortunately

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I didn't really dig too deep this year to find the really obscure stuff. And when I did, I wasn't too impressed. So I'm sticking with this.

MODIFIED 12/29/07 (I'll probably modify it a lot >_>)

From now on, if you're gonna change your list, quote your old list and put your new list below it. It was hell finding what I had to change.

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 08:39 AM
6. Baroness- Red Album
10. Blackfield- Blackfield II

For example, floydhunter9:

6. Baroness- Red Album
10. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades

God, I hope I don't make any more changes :lol:

es156
12-31-2007, 11:42 AM
You guys here in metalsetlist should be more friendly with each other and stop laughing at people or make rude comments or give fingers because someone's favourite band is not you cup of tea. I'm 36 years old buddy with wife and kids so yes I don't have time to listen to every single band that goes out but so fucking WHAT ??? I'm still following a lot of bands, anyway I don't get your point :rolleyes:

Take it easy, man. They are just winding you up a little bit. Don't take it so seriously.

PowerMaiden
12-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Ok then :cool:

happy new year to everyone :drinking:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

es156
12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Ok then :cool:

happy new year to everyone :drinking:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I think we are (almost) all looking forward to a Maiden New Year! I know I can't wait to see Maiden next year!

:fist:

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
:lol: Show me another band who does old-school as well as Witchcraft though. You've accurately described them, but they nail that style. :cool:

The Sword.

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 12:59 PM
The Sword.

No flute interludes or bad Swedish vocals. :tp:

They have a new album out early next year though, should be good.

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
By the way, there is a tiebreaker system. I've been keeping track of first place votes, and if any two albums in the top 10 are tied, I'll try to break the tie that way. Otherwise, well, we'll just have ties.

Div
12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
It was hard putting this list together sense I don't think one album is specifically better than the others in some cases, and I only listened to about 15 new albums this year, but for now here's what I'm going with. (and the order will be subject to change)

10.) Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient: Ok, I was a bit stumped for the number 10 slot, but this album WAS entertaining and had a sci-fi theme so it makes my list.

9.) Dr. Livingdead - Thrash After Death: this little 12 min album was better than most of the hyped full length albums this year. (megadeth, iced earth, etc)

8.) Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem: people said this album was genius, while I don't fully see that it was definatley cool

7.) Therion - Gothic Kabbalah: a bit pretentious at times, I wish they had more songs like TOF Trinity, but it was still pretty well made

6.) Sodom - The Final Sign of Evil: it's a shame there aren't more albums out there like this, fucking amazing

5.) Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II: I have kind of a love/hate feeling about this, while it was lame in some parts, that's to be expected with power metal, but its still gamma ray and still awesome.

4.) Slough Feg - Hardworlder: retro sci-fi NWBHM, not only did this album really click with me, but it made me check out the rest of their equally awesome albums

3.) Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between: Formerly known as Catch 22, this band is one of NJ's redeeming qualities, and this album is great, if you cant find yourself to enjoy this you're probably an asshole. :party:

2.) King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul Please: it's King Diamond

1.) Hyades - The Worst Is Yet To Come: MOTHERFUCKING THRASH THAT MELTS YOUR FUCKING FACES AHHHHHH!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

floydhunter9
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
My bad. But didn't you say that you'd start tallying later anyways?

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 03:05 PM
My bad. But didn't you say that you'd start tallying later anyways?

No, I'm doing a running total deal.

ADD
12-31-2007, 04:56 PM
The Sword.

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho: One of my favorite quotes I've read on message boards describing a band is some guy on Stonerrock.com who said The Sword were like "My First Sleep Album by Fisher Price" :lol: And it's true.

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
:hecho: :hecho: :hecho: One of my favorite quotes I've read on message boards describing a band is some guy on Stonerrock.com who said The Sword were like "My First Sleep Album by Fisher Price" :lol: And it's true.

Oh, come on. They're really pretty good at what they do. I'd put 'em behind Witchcraft and Priestess for sure, but that style's not easy to fuck up.

DethMaiden
12-31-2007, 10:03 PM
So, at the beginning of the official two week voting period, here's the standings:

2. Redemption- The Origins of Ruin
3. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
4. Symphony X- Paradise Lost/Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos
6. Gamma Ray- Land of the Free II/Between the Buried and Me- Colors/Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
9. Therion- Gothic Kabbalah
10. Nothing else has more than 10 points.

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2007, 10:44 PM

Come on. You are the one who told me they were going to wipe the floor with In Flames last year (Last december)

Maiden33
12-31-2007, 11:16 PM
1. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
2. Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
3. Amaran's Plight - Voice in the Light
4. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
5. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
6. Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie
7. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
8. Silent Force - Walk the Earth
9. Rush - Snakes and Arrows
10. Dominici - 03: A Trilogy - Part Two

Now here is a good list. Wow. I think this is definitely the best list here. Probably even better than my own list. :allan:

powerslave_85
01-01-2008, 01:36 AM
3.) Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between: Formerly known as Catch 22, this band is one of NJ's redeeming qualities, and this album is great, if you cant find yourself to enjoy this you're probably an asshole. :party:
Wow, I didn't see that one coming. It's a great album, and "The Receiving End of It All" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

I'll post my list tomorrow, maybe. I still need to work out my last couple of spots.

ravenheart
01-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I can't believe that tedious Gamma-Ray-by-numbers effort is in the top ten! Even at this early stage.

ravenheart
01-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh, come on. They're really pretty good at what they do. I'd put 'em behind Witchcraft and Priestess for sure, but that style's not easy to fuck up.

Also comfortably behind Wall of Sleep, Lord 13, Fireball Ministry and several more.

Saw them live supporting Clutch this year and they were terrible.

ravenheart
01-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Now here is a good list. Wow. I think this is definitely the best list here. Probably even better than my own list. :allan:

Nah. The Silent Force album really isn't that good, and the Dominici one gets boring after a while.

The Threshold and Redemption ones nearly made mine.

ravenheart
01-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Take it easy, man. They are just winding you up a little bit. Don't take it so seriously.

Christ. Someone's on the ball at least. One or two people seem to permanently have sand in their pussy around here. Or PMT maybe?

I guess it's best to always use ;) instead of the grinning finger one, just in case people don't get it. Or highlight jokes in red like a tabloid newspaper, perhaps?

theclansman1114
01-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I can't believe that tedious Gamma-Ray-by-numbers effort is in the top ten! Even at this early stage.

Indeed, I didn't vote it #1 in my list yet either! :)

ADD
01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Come on. You are the one who told me they were going to wipe the floor with In Flames last year (Last december)
Yeah. In Flames.

PowerMaiden
01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Christ. Someone's on the ball at least. One or two people seem to permanently have sand in their pussy around here. Or PMT maybe?

I guess it's best to always use ;) instead of the grinning finger one, just in case people don't get it. Or highlight jokes in red like a tabloid newspaper, perhaps?

My first language is french , so I'm not familiar with your kind of humour and from the B.B. I come from people don't do this :finger: as a joke, but in all fairness I didn't see it was winking so my mistake :)

But yes, please highlight in red or even better blue for me next time if you're kidding around.

Cheers !
PowerMasiden

DethMaiden
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM

MOTHER YOU HAVE FORCED US HERE
FATHER NOW WE'LL DISAPPEAR

Div
01-01-2008, 01:04 PM
MOTHER YOU HAVE FORCED US HERE
FATHER NOW WE'LL DISAPPEAR

JuuKun
01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
5. Volbeat - Rock The Rebel/Metal The Devil

That's a good album, but I haven't listened to it enough for me to be able to figure out it's place.

1. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
2. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
3. After Forever - After Forever
4. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
5. Elvenking - The Scythe
6. Behemoth - The Apostasy
7. Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup
8. Raintime - Flies and Lies
9. Morgana Lefay - Aberrations of the Mind
10. Sigh - Hangman's Hymn

SomewhereInTime72
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
1. Amorphis - Silent Waters
2. Symphony X- Paradise Lost
3. Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
4. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
5. KMFDM - Tohuvabohu
6. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
7. Dir en grey -The Marrow of a Bone
8. Behemoth - The Apostasy
9. King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
10. Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrant

subject to change.

DethMaiden
01-01-2008, 03:24 PM

:rocker:

powerslave_85
01-01-2008, 03:56 PM
1. Tegan and Sara- The Con
2. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
3. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
4. Chuck Ragan- Feast or Famine
5. High On Fire- Death Is This Communion
6. Clutch- From Beale St. To Oblivion
7. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls
8. Himsa- Summon In Thunder
9. Streetlight Manifesto- Somewhere In the Between
10. Northern State- Can I Keep This Pen?

I'm pretty happy with that list, even though there's a whole bunch of albums that could have been #10.

gilpdawg
01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
1-Dream Theater-Systematic Chaos
2-Rush-Snakes and Arrows
3-Symphony X-Paradise Lost
4-Redemption-whatever the frick it's called, I can't remember
5-Nightwish-Dark Passion Play
6-Kamelot-Ghost Opera
7-Iced Earth-Framing Armageddon (fuck you I liked it)
8-Divine Heresy-Bleed the Fifth
9-Clutch-Beale St. to Obvilion
10-After Forever-S/t

overkiller
01-01-2008, 04:10 PM
So much goddamn power metal :hecho:

DethMaiden
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
So much goddamn power metal :hecho:

Yeah, it's leaning that way, but your list, Addi's list, Scott's list, and Cameron's list with any luck will throw the balance the other way.

sneakbobcat
01-01-2008, 05:23 PM
1. Between The Buried And Me - Colors
2. Machine Head - The Blackening
3. Dark Tranquility - Fiction
4. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
5. Megadeth - United Abominations
6. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
7. Iced Earth - Framin Armageddon
8. Velvet Revolver - Libertad

I didn't like 2007 for albums, 2006 was much better..
Sacrament, Come Clarity, 10,000 Days, Blood Mountain, A Matter Of Life And Death, etc.

Nick
01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's leaning that way, but your list, Addi's list, Scott's list, and Cameron's list with any luck will throw the balance the other way.

Balance it between what? Power metal and what you happen to think is superior music? You realize there are more than more genres right? Have to be a whole lotta lists, more than the ones you mentioned, to really balance anything.

overkiller
01-01-2008, 06:01 PM

No, our lists are going to be too diverse to divert the scores away from the power metal onslaught. The only thing on my list I foresee having a chance is the new Municipal Waste.

JRA
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Why is it that when I spend the entire day playing video games people break out in fights here? :D :eyes:

By the way, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles voted "United Abominations" as the album of the year. Didn't somebody here say that if that happened they were gonna quit metal, spontaneously combust or give me $500 or something?

Edit: sorry for internet drunk dialing you last night PS_85.

powerslave_85
01-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Edit: sorry for internet drunk dialing you last night PS_85.I was wondering who that was.

DethMaiden
01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Balance it between what? Power metal and what you happen to think is superior music? You realize there are more than more genres right? Have to be a whole lotta lists, more than the ones you mentioned, to really balance anything.

No, our lists are going to be too diverse to divert the scores away from the power metal onslaught. The only thing on my list I foresee having a chance is the new Municipal Waste.

Honestly the list isn't looking all that swayed in any one direction right now. I'm fairly excited to see how it turns out.

ADD
01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a feeling the list is gonna not agree with me.

SomewhereInTime72
01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a feeling the list is gonna not agree with me.

Theres so much variety, its probably not gonna agree with anyone. :tongue:

Maiden33
01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
After careful consideration...

1.Masterplan - MKII
2.Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
3.Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season
4.Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
5.Gamma Ray - Land of the Free Pt. II
6.Lord - Ascendance
7.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
8.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
9.Allen/Lande - The Revenge
10.Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis

Maiden33
01-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Nah. The Silent Force album really isn't that good, and the Dominici one gets boring after a while.

The Threshold and Redemption ones nearly made mine.

Haha. You should be aware of something:

That post wasn't actually made by me, it was made by "Nick". He and I are actual friends and I was logged in on his computer and apparently forgot to log off, and he apparently thought it a good idea to have some fun with it.

But I disagree on the Silent Force album. I quite like it. I rank it 14th or so of my currently 42 albums.

Maiden33
01-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Indeed, I didn't vote it #1 in my list yet either! :)

The problem is, your vote will only be worth one point, since that's just about the only album that came out this year that you care about. :allan:

theclansman1114
01-02-2008, 08:17 AM
The problem is, your vote will only be worth one point, since that's just about the only album that came out this year that you care about. :allan:

Actually, I will have a top 10. I downloaded a few things over the past couple of days that will appear in it, such as that Lord album and the Astral Doors.

Nick
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Haha. You should be aware of something:

That post wasn't actually made by me, it was made by "Nick". He and I are actual friends and I was logged in on his computer and apparently forgot to log off, and he apparently thought it a good idea to have some fun with it.

But I disagree on the Silent Force album. I quite like it. I rank it 14th or so of my currently 42 albums.

This man spreads lies about me!

Okay, that is what happened. :666:

I really should check out that full Pink Cream 69 disc.

sylpriest
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
1. Clutch- From Beale St. To Oblivion
2. Queens of the Stone Age- Era Vulgaris
3. Against Me!- New Wave
4. The Dillinger Escape Plan- Ire Works
5. Every Time I Die- The Big Dirty
6. As I Lay Dying- An Ocean Between Us
7. The Cult- Born Into This
8. Maylene and the Sons of Disaster- II
9. Chris Cornell- Carry On
10. Serj Tankian- Elect the Dead

Div
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
god damn this thread

Maiden33
01-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Brad, can we get a current standings update?

Human_Metal
01-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Okey, so now my top-10 is complete. To bad there are still albums i would like to hear but since i can't get hold of them atm, then it ends like this:

1. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
2. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
3. Iron Savior - Megatropolis
4. Grave Digger - Liberty or Death
5. King Diamond - Give me you soul Please
6. Sabaton - Metalizer
7. Axxis - Doom of Destiny
8. Mystic Prophecy - Satanic Curses
9. Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
10. Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura

Maybe will change some minor things.

Div
01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
brad could you include a top15 in your next update so we can see where other albums stand too?

ADD
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe a top 20/25? :D

DethMaiden
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, guess what. I'm not gonna post any lists until January 14th. People are just gonna vote or change their lists based on the results-to-date, and that's not right. So fuck you.

ADD
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, guess what. I'm not gonna post any lists until January 14th. People are just gonna vote or change their lists based on the results-to-date, and that's not right. So fuck you.
Dammit :D

Div
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM

or someone else could just tally them

powerslave_85
01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, guess what. I'm not gonna post any lists until January 14th. People are just gonna vote or change their lists based on the results-to-date, and that's not right. So fuck you.:metal: Nothing is more retarded than people stacking their lists because they're afraid the top 10 won't be "metal" enough.

Maiden33
01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I honestly have/had no intetion of changing my list or trying to influence friends who have yet to vote. It really doesn't matter enough to me to care. My list has been carefully decided and calculated throughout the year, I'm not gonna change it to put it on here to try to change the outcome of a poll that's supposed to be just for fun.

DethMaiden
01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
or someone else could just tally them

If they want to, they're like sixteen or seventeen lists late and are gonna have a hell of a time tallying. Have fun if you want to, I guess.

powerslave_85
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
This is getting fucking stupid. It's just a year-end list, for fuck's sake.

SomewhereInTime72
01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Word. Besides just looking at them I can guess that Symphony X and Redemption are winning. :tongue:

Maiden33
01-04-2008, 06:45 AM
This is getting fucking stupid. It's just a year-end list, for fuck's sake.

I didn't realize this thread was "getting" anywhere. If that's in response to my statement, you clearly didn't understand what I meant, considering I was basically saying: "Why would I care, it's just for fun"

ADD
01-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm thinking since this is gonna be impossible to sabotage now I'm just gonna put the albums I think are most artistically vital. Not necessarily the ones I enjoyed or listened to the most but the ones where they really stood out and its like "Yes, this is some fucking art." I need some kinda justification for making the Cobalt album #1 anyways :D

floydhunter9
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM

Modified...again... <_<

5. Be'lakor - The Frail Tide
7. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
8. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
9. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

I urge anyone who has never listened to Be'lakor to start doing so. It's some of the most majestic music I've ever heard, and absolutely phenomenal melodic death metal.

VainGloryOpera
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
well i basically only ever come on here once a year for this very purpose...so why not just get on with it..lol

1)Masterplan - MK II
2)Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
3)Allen/Lande - The Revenge
4)Nocturnal Rites- The 8th Sin
5)Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
6)Astral Doors - New Revelation
7)WASP - Dominator
8)Symphony X - Paradise Lost
9)Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
10)Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis

I'm not 100% sure..but I could sit around here all night moving number 5-10 around so..fuck it.:tp:

ADD
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
well i basically only ever come on here once a year for this very purpose...so why not just get on with it..lol

1)Masterplan - MK II
2)Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
3)Allen/Lande - The Revenge
4)Nocturnal Rites- The 8th Sin
5)Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
6)Astral Doors - New Revelation
7)WASP - Dominator
8)Symphony X - Paradise Lost
9)Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
10)Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis

I'm not 100% sure..but I could sit around here all night moving number 5-10 around so..fuck it.:tp:

Is that a joke?

Div
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
i cant believe im the only one voting for Hyades

Maiden33
01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Is that a joke?

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Alright, I tallied them, but I don't think someone with four posts gives an accurate reflection of the board's tastes, which is really what the list is meant to represent. That's sort of bullshit.

powerslave_85
01-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Isn't VainGloryOpera in Maiden33's band? Yeah, that's fair.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Isn't VainGloryOpera in Maiden33's band? Yeah, that's fair.

I'm gonna re-register under ten other names and submit ten lists that are the same as mine but rearranged. Mwahaha.

Yeah, tell you what: new rule. Must have at least 50 posts for your vote to count.

powerslave_85
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree, but you're definitely gonna get some shit for that.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree, but you're definitely gonna get some shit for that.

Only person it currently disqualifies is VainGloryOpera, so...:tongue:

powerslave_85
01-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but there's definitely going to be a bitchfest about it.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, to keep the list from turning into the Kansas-Nebraska Act, I deleted the points those ten albums would have received, and the 50+ posts rule is now in effect. Fuck you.

powerslave_85
01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
:metal: Good man.

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I used to be in his band, did that mean my list was like his? No. They are siblings, of course they are gonna share a lot of the same musical tastes, and the only reason you're being a pretentious dick about this is because you don't like the music. If she would have submitted a list similar to yours this would not have been an issue. It's one thing if the 50+ rule were in from the start, but to put it in now is just fucking stupid and a half. She's a member here, and has been for over a year, sorry if she has been smart enough not to be sucked into the shitty music a bunch of this board listens to that you happen to like.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I used to be in his band, did that mean my list was like his? No. They are siblings, of course they are gonna share a lot of the same musical tastes, and the only reason you're being a pretentious dick about this is because you don't like the music. If she would have submitted a list similar to yours this would not have been an issue. It's one thing if the 50+ rule were in from the start, but to put it in now is just fucking stupid and a half.

But if you come right out and admit that you only post on the site once a year to do the list, then how are you part of the site's identity? How do your opinions give a good representation of the board? They just don't, and have no place swaying the vote. If anyone marches in here with three posts and posts a list they're equally meaningless to this thread, so don't freak out over it.

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
But if you come right out and admit that you only post on the site once a year to do the list, then how are you part of the site's identity? How do your opinions give a good representation of the board? They just don't, and have no place swaying the vote. If anyone marches in here with three posts and posts a list they're equally meaningless to this thread, so don't freak out over it.

Bullshit. You didn't make the rule because you didn't think she had some proper identity. You made your move only because of what she chose and who she knows, and that is fucking retarded. You might try to back it up with some other crap now, but you know as well as I do that's what caused you to do it.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Bullshit. You didn't make the rule because you didn't think she had some proper identity. You made your move only because of what she chose and who she knows, and that is fucking retarded. You might try to back it up with some other crap now, but you know as well as I do that's what caused you to do it.

No, it wasn't that at all. It was because she was a woman. :finger:

JRA
01-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Regardless of what she listens to, I think coming on a board once a year to participate in an album scoring system is pretty lame.

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Regardless of what she listens to, I think coming on a board once a year to participate in an album scoring system is pretty lame.

I think actually making a fuss about someone participating in this is what is quite lame.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, but there's definitely going to be a bitchfest about it.

NOSTRADAMUS I WILL DO AS YOU COMMAND ME

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
In any case with the rules set forth at the beginning of this her votes count, whatever list you post at the end anyone who actually cares about fairness throughout can just add in her list and submit the correct list at the end anyway.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Fairness would be taking a vote on the 50+ rule, which I'm willing to do.

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Also, please realize, if 33 had actually told her what to post, that would be one thing, obviously unfair, but she just came on and posted her top 10 of 2007, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Fairness would be sticking with the rules set forth at the beginning of this.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Eh, fuck arguing while Maiden are on. We'll figure this out once more people post an opinion on the matter.

Nick
01-05-2008, 07:58 PM
You listen to Maiden with all these people? I'm not sure their lists can be trusted, could all just be accounts made up by you.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
You listen to Maiden with all these people? I'm not sure their lists can be trusted, could all just be accounts made up by you.

Yes, making my accumulative post count like a million. I live on interwebz.

Div
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3170/1188172717725nk0.gif

sylpriest
01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
we need a communist poll where there's only one cd to choose from this year and what everyone else chooses doesn't matter :party:

VainGloryOpera
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM

well i think what most of this board likes and listens to is quite fucking lame

You can't disqualify me because you don't like what I posted. It doesn't matter if I post once a year or once an hour. Who fucking cares. The only reason you're even considering disqualifying me is because you don't like what I said and my list is like my brother's and you like to bash him all the time for not agreeing with you. You all voted for your shit that you like and my list isn't going to really help the albums my brother picked anyway.

I don't care. Take my list off. It doesn't actually matter to me whether or not you count it. I just think you're all a bunch of whiny little pricks for making such a big deal over it. Get the fuck over it.

DethMaiden
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Solution: spam your way to 50 posts before the 14th. :tongue:

JRA
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Solution: spam your way to 50 posts before the 14th. :tongue:

powerslave_85
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
well i think what most of this board likes and listens to is quite fucking lame:party: :party:

SomewhereInTime72
01-05-2008, 10:11 PM
:party: :party:

Especially since right now, it seems most of us listen to flower metal! :party::party:

overkiller
01-06-2008, 01:16 AM
No, it wasn't that at all. It was because she was a woman. :finger:

WHAT

THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET

VainGloryOpera
01-06-2008, 05:56 AM
I just find it amusing because I'm sure if my list looked something like this:

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Witchcraft - The Alchemist
Choheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 2: No World for Tomorrow
Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos
Rwake - Voices of Omens
Three Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blade
Dark Moor - Tarot
Therion - Gambling With the Devil
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Blackfield - Blackfield II

you'd be freaking bending over backwards to include it.:tp:

JRA
01-06-2008, 07:07 AM
ALBM OF THE YEAR AWARDS

SERIOUS BUSINESS!!

Div
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Therion - Gambling With the Devil

:eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
:eyes:

That would be an interesting album. :D

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Jesus fucking christ. I can't believe this is happening.

Before I proceed, please try to put aside the fact that you probably disagree with all of my opinions about music and approach what I'm about to say with an open mind.

Yes. VainGloryOpera is my sister. Does it matter? No. Sure, since we're siblings a lot of our tastes are similar and what we listen to rubs off on one another, but I in NO way told her to submit a list, let alone tweak it to be similar to mine. Not that the one vote would really make that much of a difference in comparisson to the several dozen there will likely be in the end. Also, I would never bother to go through the trouble because, believe it or not, this really isn't that big of a deal to me. The outcome of this poll is inconsequential. I remember a few pages back a few of you said the same. I think it's interesting how your approach has changed when we're dealing with music you don't like.
I'm not weighing in on the subject because I prefer the style of music or because she's my sister. I'm getting involved because what Brad is doing is stupid and wrong. Stop being a douche Brad. I'm sure you would deny it, and there's no way to prove it, but I'd be willing to bet any sum of money that if someone registered here tomorrow and posted a list 80% resembling yours, you would keep your mouth shut about it.
And post count is irrelevent. I'm a member of several other message boards but rarely post on them. That doesn't make my opinion irrelevent or void. It's especially not true in this case because this is a generalized metal message board, not pertaining to one particular band or subgenre. By your logic, if someone who's been listening to metal for 25 years who has a collection of 3,000 CDs would register here tomorrow and submit a list, his opinion wouldn't count. Face it Brad, it's faulty logic trying to back up a bullshit arguement.

JRA
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Just curious about something, is there a particular reason the only time she comes here is to vote on a list? Is she not a big message board person in general?

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Just curious about something, is there a particular reason the only time she comes here is to vote on a list? Is she not a big message board person in general?

Well she actually was at one point a member of another board and had a few thousand posts. It's not a crime to just join a board and only post when you really want to. Some people (unlike most of us) have lives.

JRA
01-06-2008, 02:04 PM
It's not a crime to just join a board and only post when you really want to. Some people (unlike most of us) have lives.

I never said it was I just added that second question on there to be less prying.

theclansman1114
01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
1.) Gamma Ray - Land of the Free Part II
2.) Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
3.) Lord - Ascendance
4.) Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
5.) Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
6.) Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
7.) Astral Doors - New Revelation
8.) Primal Fear - New Religion
9.) Iron Savior - Megatropolis
10.) Sinner - Mask of Sanity

This thread didn't get out of hand. :eyes:
UH-OH! My list has some stuff that Maiden33 also has! Guess you better not count mine too. :tp: Or maybe I don't post often enough :dorky:

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
By the way, I think Brad should've created two threads: One for votes and one for all the baggage and bitching.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Jesus Christ, what the hell can I do about this. I'm seriously about to send an Excel file to someone else and let them take this over. It's just a fucking year-end list.

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Jesus Christ, what the hell can I do about this. I'm seriously about to send an Excel file to someone else and let them take this over. It's just a fucking year-end list.

You're the one that had to try to be a douche about it. I certainly didn't start this.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Fine, all lists count. Fuck.

I'm going to make my brother register because I know he'll vote for a lot of the albums I did.

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm going to make my brother register because I know he'll vote for a lot of the albums I did.

Did you miss the "I didn't tell her to submit a list..." statement I made? You don't have to continue being a douche.

Also, isn't your brother really young?

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh, and sidenote. She did the same thing last year and no one said a word then, and she had 2 posts rather than 5.

Again, just as I said in my own thread, the mentality of this board is declining.

theclansman1114
01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
the mentality of this board is declining.

Yep.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Did you miss the "I didn't tell her to submit a list..." statement I made? You don't have to continue being a douche.

Also, isn't your brother really young?

13, same age I was when I started posting on the old IMBB. And I'm not actually going to, it's just the principle is similar.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
For the record, her list counted, and it really didn't shake things up all that crazily. Panties, unbunch!

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
13, same age I was when I started posting on the old IMBB. And I'm not actually going to, it's just the principle is similar.

No it's not. I cornered your backwards logic and now you're just trying to be a little bitch about it.

I'll say it for the 3rd time. I didn't tell her to register. I didn't tell her to submit a list. I didn't tell her what to put on the list. Get the fuck over it already.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Calmer than you are.

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Calmer than you are.

Me cursing isn't in any way a display of my anger. It's a reflex. I'm not in the least bit angry. Though you do kind of piss me off because you act very two faced. I'd have a heard time believing you're the same person I talk to on AIM.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Me cursing isn't in any way a display of my anger. It's a reflex. I'm not in the least bit angry. Though you do kind of piss me off because you act very two faced. I'd have a heard time believing you're the same person I talk to on AIM.

Dude, it was a Big Lebowski quote :lol: ;) Despite my personal belief that this list should reflect the board's community, I can admit that it was wrong of me to make that rule halfway into voting. Next year I'll make sure it's brought up at the beginning.

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Dude, it was a Big Lebowski quote :lol: ;) Despite my personal belief that this list should reflect the board's community, I can admit that it was wrong of me to make that rule halfway into voting. Next year I'll make sure it's brought up at the beginning.

Well sorry, I'm not as obsessed with that movie as you are.

I think it's a pretty shitty rule either way regardless of when it came into the picture, it just makes it worse coming in half way through.

Again, as I said before, post count or "time served" really is of no consequence. I have a very good friend who's 37 and owns over 4,000 CDs and been listening to metal for 25 years. If he joined here tomorrow, according to you, his opinion isn't valid. It's not fair and it's not right.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Well sorry, I'm not as obsessed with that movie as you are.

I think it's a pretty shitty rule either way regardless of when it came into the picture, it just makes it worse coming in half way through.

Again, as I said before, post count or "time served" really is of no consequence. I have a very good friend who's 37 and owns over 4,000 CDs and been listening to metal for 25 years. If he joined here tomorrow, according to you, his opinion isn't valid. It's not fair and it's not right.

It's not that his opinion wouldn't be valid, it's that he doesn't help make up the tapestry of the collective who post here. Would you let British Parliament members with tons of experience vote on bills in Congress?

Maiden33
01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
It's not that his opinion wouldn't be valid, it's that he doesn't help make up the tapestry of the collective who post here. Would you let British Parliament members with tons of experience vote on bills in Congress?

I've never seen some as snooty about message board posting as you in my entire life. As mentioned infinately prior to this, the outcome of this list is NOT a big deal. It's a lot easier and hassle-free to just say: "all votes count".

We don't have a massive influx of people come end-of-the-year just so they can vote and "sabotage the almighty MetalSetlists top 10 voting thread". It's one or two people a year at most and as I mentioned and you yourself proved, that little input does absolutely nothing in determing the outcome of the results.

DethMaiden
01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Guess it doesn't matter since the list currently looks like we all just have a hard-on for Symphony X anyway. ;)

powerslave_85
01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Guess it doesn't matter since the list currently looks like we all just have a hard-on for Symphony X anyway. ;)
Who?

VainGloryOpera
01-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Because it's the only thing I usually feel like making the effort to post for..

I read on a much more frequent basis than I post..

And yes...I used to be very big into message boards a few years ago, with like 5,000+ posts combined through boards...but I kind of just stopped making it a priority to post on them anymore.

theclansman1114
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Who?

Thats what I said about Eli Manning earlier. Bring 'em on, nothing better than beating them 3 times in one year.

SomewhereInTime72
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I like Brad's rule, but I'm glad it's not counting this year because it's pretty lame to do that after someone already submitted a list.

Shaddap everyone. :zzz:

VainGloryOpera
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Thats what I said about Eli Manning earlier. Bring 'em on, nothing better than beating them 3 times in one year.

you and your friggin' cowboys..lol

overkiller
01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Is anybody in touch with SnakeCharmer? If he were to post a list we'd probably get another boost in variety.

JRA
01-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Is anybody in touch with SnakeCharmer? If he were to post a list we'd probably get another boost in variety.

Whoa I forgot about him.

es156
01-07-2008, 06:19 AM

This is his current sig:

Top 3 of 2007:

Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Circus Maximus - Isolate

Maiden33
01-07-2008, 06:40 AM
This is his current sig:

Top 3 of 2007:

Circus Maximus - Isolate

Good man.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2008, 07:57 AM
This is his current sig:

Top 3 of 2007:

Circus Maximus - Isolate

BETTER NOT LET HIM VOTE RIGHT

Div
01-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Ya know, sometimes this place seems less like a metal forum and more like the breakfast club.

es156
01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Ya know, sometimes this place seems less like a metal forum and more like the breakfast club.

Sad but true.

overkiller
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
This is his current sig:

Top 3 of 2007:

Circus Maximus - Isolate

Oh....... so much for my theory :eyes:

TonyD
01-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Ehh... top 5

1. Machine Head- The Blackening
2. Nile- Ithyphallic
3. High On Fire- Death is this Communion
4. Dethklok- Dethalbum
5. Rush- Snakes & Arrows

es156
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh....... so much for my theory :eyes:

There are still 7 more spots available. I am sure that Mayhem will be in there somewhere.

overkiller
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM

There are still 7 more spots available. I am sure that Mayhem will be in there somewhere.

That album kinda fell out for me, it's not really even close to my top 10 anymore.

es156
01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
That album kinda fell out for me, it's not really even close to my top 10 anymore.

I threw that one in there for no other reason than because I remember he and Bouville talking about Mayhem earlier this year. Bouville is the one that "made" me listen to it in the first place, ha ha.

JRA
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Where the fuck is Bouville? His nonsensical ravings about Black Metal, Blaze, and Manowar gave this place a slight charm to it.

ADD
01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Where the fuck is Bouville? His nonsensical ravings about Black Metal, Blaze, and Manowar gave this place a slight charm to it.
I think he's still in Peru :(

Div
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
off topic- is anyone going to make a 2008 release thread? tbh i have no idea what to expect aside from new priest, and i think blind guardian is putting out an orchestral album.

DethMaiden
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
off topic- is anyone going to make a 2008 release thread? tbh i have no idea what to expect aside from new priest, and i think blind guardian is putting out an orchestral album.

I can do one again, except try my damnedest not to stop in September again.

DethMaiden
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
ONE WEEK LEFT

ADD
01-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Whatever.....

1.) Cobalt -- Eater of Birds
2.) Brant Bjork -- Tres Dias
3.) Rwake -- Voices Of Omens
4.) Alabama Thunderpussy -- Open Fire
5.) Municipal Waste -- The Art of Partying
6.) Slough Feg -- Hardworlder
7.) Clutch -- From Beale St. To Oblivion
8.) Witchcraft -- The Alchemist
9.) Ash Pool -- World Turns On Its Hinge
10.) The Glasspack -- Dirty Women

Fucking fuck that was fucking hard as fuck.

overkiller
01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Whatever.....

1.) Cobalt -- Eater of Birds
2.) Brant Bjork -- Tres Dias
3.) Rwake -- Voices Of Omens
4.) Alabama Thunderpussy -- Open Fire
5.) Municipal Waste -- The Art of Partying
6.) Slough Feg -- Hardworlder
9.) Ash Pool -- World Turns On Its Hinge
10.) The Glasspack -- Dirty Women

Fucking fuck that was fucking hard as fuck.

My list gonna disagree with you more than I thought it would. :D

ADD
01-08-2008, 11:30 PM
My list gonna disagree with you more than I thought it would. :D
Dude I'm sure you're gonna have some on yours that could've easily been on mine. I pretty much just spit that list out with only minimal thought cuz if I sat and thought about it I'd be here all night. Too many deserving albums.

overkiller
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Dude I'm sure you're gonna have some on yours that could've easily been on mine. I pretty much just spit that list out with only minimal thought cuz if I sat and thought about it I'd be here all night. Too many deserving albums.

Heh, that's not really what I meant. Just that some of the albums on your list didn't do so well on mine.

ADD
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Heh, that's not really what I meant. Just that some of the albums on your list didn't do so well on mine.
That's cuz your taste in music is fucking gay :flame:

You have to admit though that my list pwns the other n00b lists so far :cool:

overkiller
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
That's cuz your taste in music is fucking gay :flame:

:rocker:

DethMaiden
01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Still need lists from some people :hmm: I know Brady's diligently working on his, but Eric? Ed? Scott? Let's go folks. :flame:

DethMaiden
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Even though you heard like a billion records, we still shared these :party:

DreamEvil001
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
not much point since I didn't listen to many new albums this year and very few new metal records, but eh, here goes:

Dirty Heads- Dirty Demo- Forgot about this the first time around. Discovered these guys when they supported Matisyahu this past summer. This is an excellent blend of acoustic surf rock and hip hop from some socal white kids, its all at once laid back stoner music and angry angst with great flow and rhymes, I predict big things

Brother Ali- The Undisputed Truth- Excellent hip-hop record from the albino rapper Brother Ali, highly recommended

Slightly Stoopid- Chronchitis- Not as good as their past releases, but still some great surf/reggae/acoustic jams that delve pretty heavily into the horn section this go around

The Nightwatchman- One Man Revolution- Good folk CD from Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, surprising stuff to come from him, he branches out of the single string massive riffs and even sings

Brant Bjork- Tres Dias- Good laid back CD my brother gave me with some folk tinge

Rebelution- Courage to Grow- Really disappointing, especially in the light of their flawless self-titled Ep, but these Santa Barbara locals still produce a few good straight up reggae tunes, unfortunately they mix them with a lot of lame, poorly produced tracks

Various Artists- Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur- This benefit CD covering all John Lennon songs includes a lot of crap from a lot of crappy bands, but Matisyahu's rendition of Watching the Wheels, Ben Harper's Beautiful Boy, Green Day's Working Class Hero, Black Eyed Pea's Power to the People and a few other great tracks, as well as the fact its all for charity prompted a buy

slim year

ADD
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Brant Bjork- Tres Dias- Good laid back CD my brother gave me with some folk tinge

FUCK. YEAH. MAN.

ADD
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Even though you heard like a billion records, we still shared these :party:
Blaze on :stoned:

TonyD
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Dirty Heads- Dirty Demo- Forgot about this the first time around. Discovered these guys when they supported Matisyahu this past summer. This is an excellent blend of acoustic surf rock and hip hop from some socal white kids, its all at once laid back stoner music and angry angst with great flow and rhymes, I predict big things

Slightly Stoopid- Chronchitis- Not as good as their past releases, but still some great surf/reggae/acoustic jams that delve pretty heavily into the horn section this go around

Saw the Dirty Heads at Icer Air (the ski/snowboard super ramp at pac bell park). They were so-so. Couldn't chill out after multiple free energy drinks over an hour. Kickass octopus stickers though, haha.
I agree with you on Stoopid. Ocean is my favorite song of theirs, probly my favorite song to come out all year.
I still have only given Rebelution only one spin, so all I can say right now is that their shit jams well, but the lyrics are a little bit too socially driven for me.
Have you bought the new Expendables yet?

theWolfisLOOSE
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
1. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
2. In Vain - The Latter Rain
4. Helloween - Gambling With the Devil
5. Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
6. High On Fire - Death is this Communion
7. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
8. Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
9. The Ocean - Precambrian
10. Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions

11. Circus Maximus - Isolate
12. Swallow the Sun - Hope
13. Rosetta - Wake/Lift
14. Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia
15. Neurosis - Given to the Rising

DethMaiden
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Woohoo, that shook things the fuck up. :party:

DreamEvil001
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Saw the Dirty Heads at Icer Air (the ski/snowboard super ramp at pac bell park). They were so-so. Couldn't chill out after multiple free energy drinks over an hour. Kickass octopus stickers though, haha.
I agree with you on Stoopid. Ocean is my favorite song of theirs, probly my favorite song to come out all year.
I still have only given Rebelution only one spin, so all I can say right now is that their shit jams well, but the lyrics are a little bit too socially driven for me.
Have you bought the new Expendables yet?

holy shit, someone else who likes metal and this stuff!
Dirty Heads definitely can improve but I recommend the Dirty Demo if you can find it, they also released an Ep a little later which overproduces their sound imo, but has two of their best songs.
Ocean is probably the highlight of that cd along with Baby I like it and 2 am, but the cd definitely pales in comparison with their three other studio releases.
I wasn't impressed with Courage to Grow, and the lyrics are pretty socially driven, they definitely have an agenda, but I enjoy them. The Ep is perfect if you don't already have it.
I haven't yet gotten the new Expendables and I don't think I will. The only CD I have of theirs in gettin' filthy and I really only like Bowl for Two and Sacrifice. Something about them is really hit or miss with me, the melodies can be kind of lame and the singer voice's sometimes fits and sometimes doesn't at all. I did just see them with Pepper though and they were amazing live, all of their songs were great and the voice didn't irk me at all. So... either they're great live or I'm an easy sell when I'm baked :bliss:

DreamEvil001
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
FUCK. YEAH. MAN.

good shit :stoned:

EvilCheeseWedge
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Because my list is rather un-metal, I will be metal and post a list of only 5 albums, because I'm too metal to list 10.

1. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
2. Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead
3. Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain
4. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
5. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

DethMaiden
01-12-2008, 11:56 AM
The final vote will be counted Monday (technically Tuesday) at midnight and posted sometime Tuesday.

So if your name is zgodt, overkiller, es156, or ChildrenofSodom, seriously hurry up and vote. :hmm: And everyone else who hasn't too! :D

overkiller
01-12-2008, 12:02 PM
The final vote will be counted Monday (technically Tuesday) at midnight and posted sometime Tuesday.

So if your name is zgodt, overkiller, es156, or ChildrenofSodom, seriously hurry up and vote. :hmm: And everyone else who hasn't too! :D

Don't worry, I'm well aware of the deadline. :tongue: I'm putting way too much thought into this stupid list, I've about had it. It'll probably be done before the last minute.

DethMaiden
01-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Don't worry, I'm well aware of the deadline. :tongue: I'm putting way too much thought into this stupid list, I've about had it. It'll probably be done before the last minute.

I wasn't so much talking to you as the people with no excuse whatsoever not to have theirs posted. :hmm: ;)

Maiden33
01-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I think #1 and #2 have already definately been decided: Redemption and Symphony X. I don't think anything is gonna happen to change that at this point. Whatever, I'm not bitching.

theWolfisLOOSE
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM

REVISED:

3. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
4. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
5. The Ocean - Precambrian
6. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
7. Swallow the Sun - Hope
9. Helloween - Gambling With the Devil
10. High On Fire - Death is this Communion

overkiller
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
AH FUCK IT. Here it is :D

1. Deathspell Omega - Fas: Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
2. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre Monde
3. Tegan and Sara - The Con
4. Ride For Revenge - The King of Snakes
5. Jesu - Conqueror
6. Bone Awl - Meaningless Leaning Mess
7. Havohej - Tungkat Blood Wand
8. Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
9. Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
10. Gallhammer - Ill Innocence

Phew. My 100-album writeup is still forthcoming. :hmm:

DethMaiden
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I think #1 and #2 have already definately been decided: Redemption and Symphony X. I don't think anything is gonna happen to change that at this point. Whatever, I'm not bitching.

Yeah, but not in that order.

And actually, Redemption have several albums that are about a point or two behind them.

es156
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Because my list is rather un-metal, I will be metal and post a list of only 5 albums, because I'm too metal to list 10.

1. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
2. Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead
3. Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain
4. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
5. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

That can't be your final list. You've got two days to submit a better list, so get busy. :hecho:

EvilCheeseWedge
01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
That can't be your final list. You've got two days to submit a better list, so get busy. :hecho:

The only other albums I'd consider adding are Snakes And Arrows and Sevendust's new album. Although King Diamond's new album almost deserves a spot, just for amusing me so much ;)

es156
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM

The only other albums I'd consider adding are Snakes And Arrows and Sevendust's new album. Although King Diamond's new album almost deserves a spot, just for amusing me so much ;)

You can't tell me that you like the new Ozzy better than Snakes & Arrows. :mad:

EvilCheeseWedge
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
You can't tell me that you like the new Ozzy better than Snakes & Arrows. :mad:

I like the new Ozzy better than Snakes and Arrows.

:D

es156
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I like the new Ozzy better than Snakes and Arrows.

:D

:bricks:

Bloodcurse
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
1. Vital Remains - Icons of Evil
2. Immolation - Shadows in the Light
3. Behemoth - The Apostasy
4. Malevolent Creation - Doomsday X
5. Paths of Possession - The End of the Hour
6. Nile - Ithyphallic
7. Lizzy Borden - Appointment With Death
8. Master - Slaves to Society
9. Godless Rising - Battle Lords
10. Obituary - Xecutioner's Return

iggyb387
01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Not sure if I've even listened to 10 albums from 2007, so I'll make a short list.

1. Symphony X- Paradise Lost
2. Porcupine Tree- Fear Of A Blank Planet
3. Amorphis- Silent Waters
4. Rush- Snakes and Arrows
5. KMFDM- Tohuvabohu

XxRyaNxX
01-13-2008, 02:20 PM
2. 3 - The End is Begun
3. Manowar - Gods of War
4. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
5. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
6. Megadeth - United Abominations
7. King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
8. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
9. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
10. Down - III

SomewhereInTime72
01-13-2008, 02:50 PM
4. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
5. KMFDM - Tohuvabohu

subject to change.
Slight change.

4. KMFDM - Tohuvabohu
5. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction

It probably won't effect the list that much, but I had to change it cause today I realized KMFDMs album was so much fucking better than DTs.

zgodt
01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
1. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
2. Tegan & Sara - The Con
3. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
4. Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
5. Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
6. The Fall of Troy - Manipulator
7. Clutch - From Beale St. To Oblivion
8. Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!
9. XBXRX - Wars
10. They Might Be Giants - The Else

DethMaiden
01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
2. Tegan & Sara - The Con

Guess what this means :tongue:

DethMaiden
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Just over 24 hours left, and a lot of things could still change with a few votes. Do your civic message board duty! :dorky:

Maiden33
01-14-2008, 06:55 AM
7. Lizzy Borden - Appointment With Death

Interesting. I found this to be pretty average.

DethMaiden
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
For the record, I'll permit west coast entries until 3 AM since there's that time zone thing, but everyone else should have theirs in by midnight. Chances are I won't be up at 3 to check it, so keep yourselves honest.

es156
01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
1. Redemption - The Origins Of Ruin
2. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
3. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
4. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
5. Kamelot - Ghost Opera
6. Pagan's Mind - God's Equation
7. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
8. Rush - Snakes & Arrows
9. Megadeth - United Abominations
10. Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands

Maiden33
01-15-2008, 05:55 AM
6. Pagan's Mind - God's Equation

How is this? I heard Atomic Fireflight and thought it was pretty bad. Should I make it a point to check it out though?

DethMaiden
01-15-2008, 12:20 PM
List is tallied, I'm just gonna wait to do the official results until tonight when I have enough time to make a pretty thread for them.

Maiden33
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
List is tallied, I'm just gonna wait to do the official results until tonight when I have enough time to make a pretty thread for them.

Yeah, a new thread is key, being that this thread turned into 3 pages of votes and 22 pages of bitch-fest.