PDA

View Full Version : Guitarist's Discussion

Spiral_Slave
12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Figured I would make this thread for all the guitar players on the board. Discuss what you're working on, ask questions, whatever. :shred:

Lately, besides writing and working on shit for the band, I've been working on "Return Of Salieri" by Warmen. I've been practicing it with a metronome and I'm getting pretty close to the actual tempo, but it ain't no picnic.

overkiller
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I've been playing an LP Special for years, and if I manage to find the money I'm thinking about getting a Jackson X Series WXRT Warrior. Thoughts?

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/8/6/338586.jpg

Div
12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
thats a pretty sweet looking guitar

floydhunter9
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
You know, I think I could break my strict "no sex with inanimate objects" policy for that guitar... <_<

DarkTwilight
12-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now (my ESP F-50, getting a new guitar soon), and I guess you could say I'm pretty good, I can do a lot of the ridiculous shredding, I'm told im good, ect ect.... but I cannot sweep! Like I've sat down and just practiced sweep arpeggios over and over, but they just never sound right... if I want to play an arpeggio fast, rather than sweep it I just play 4 16th notes of each note in the arpeggio... So it sounds kind of cool but I can never get the sweep sound... anyone have any advice?

ADD
12-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Riffs are good :stoned:

Spiral_Slave
12-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now (my ESP F-50, getting a new guitar soon), and I guess you could say I'm pretty good, I can do a lot of the ridiculous shredding, I'm told im good, ect ect.... but I cannot sweep! Like I've sat down and just practiced sweep arpeggios over and over, but they just never sound right... if I want to play an arpeggio fast, rather than sweep it I just play 4 16th notes of each note in the arpeggio... So it sounds kind of cool but I can never get the sweep sound... anyone have any advice?

Practice the arpeggios with a metronome using alternate picking. Start slow and increase the BPM as you feel comfortable. This will get you more comfortable with the sweeping idea, and get into your arm's muscle memory. Other than that, just practice.

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Riffs are good :stoned:

Jazz chords are better. ;)

sneakbobcat
12-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Buying a Crate Stack, writing some technical death metal music.

Maiden33
12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
I've been playing for about 5 and a half years now. I've had the same Epiphone Les Paul Studio (black) for like 3 years, and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm currently looking at getting an ESP M-200 FM in see-thru black cherry:
http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/m-200FM_STBC.jpg

It should be very sexy, I can't wait. I'm hoping to order sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I've had my own band for over 3 years now, but unfortunately things aren't going very well right now. Our second guitarist (who's been here since the beginning) decided to quit in September because "his heart wasn't in it", our singer just moved from Pennsylvania to Florida, and we're always having a string of ongoing problems with our bassist of about a year and a half. I'm currently considering disbanding the whole thing for a while, I can't handle the stress and frustration right now.
I am currently working on music of my own, actually at the moment I'm working with Jeff (Spiral Slave) on something that I feel is very very neat.

TonyD
12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Good choice with the LTD, plays great and has good features for the price.
Jackson, not so much. Those models are overpriced IMO. Maybe I just hate the necks

Maiden33
12-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Good choice with the LTD, plays great and has good features for the price.
Jackson, not so much. Those models are overpriced IMO. Maybe I just hate the necks

Alright, good to know. I'm very excited to get it.

Spiral_Slave
12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not a big Jackson fan either, I don't like the necks and I agree that they are pretty overpriced. But every guitar is different, so the best thing to do is sit down and play it if at all possible see how it sounds, feels, etc.

JRA
12-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Because I have a total boner for looking at guitars, everyone post pictures of your axes!

overkiller
12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Because I have a total boner for looking at guitars, everyone post pictures of your axes!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/8/1/273681.jpg

Spiral_Slave
12-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I'll take some pictures of my guitars and upload them later on.

Spiral_Slave
12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Alright, my guitars...

My heavily modified Fender Stratocaster (http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Swinelords/Strat.jpg)

Specs: 21 frets, pearl pickguard, two seymour ducan super distortion pickups, three-way toggle pickup switch

My ESP LTD EX-50 (http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Swinelords/espex50.jpg)

Specs: 22 frets, stock pickups, which are about to be replaced with EMG's (81 and 85).

I couldn't take a picture of my Iceman because it's at my other guitar player's house...but here's a picture of what they look like.

http://www.theibanezstore.com/images/ic400bk.jpg

Getting EMG's installed in that as well, although the stock pickups sounded surprisingly great.

Spiral_Slave
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I've been figuring out Alexi's song " Sioux City Sarsparilla " off the new Guitar Heroes album all night. His song was sort of a dissapointment, but still pretty cool. Anyone else heard this album? I think the best song is Roope's " Soap On The Rope. "

JRA
12-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I've been playing an LP Special for years, and if I manage to find the money I'm thinking about getting a Jackson X Series WXRT Warrior. Thoughts?

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/8/6/338586.jpg

I can picture you playing that more than a Les Paul. :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
My ESP LTD EX-50 (http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Swinelords/espex50.jpg)

This is what I use as well.

More often than that though, I'm playing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Whackinblack/cordoba.jpg

(I used a stock photo since I couldnt find a picture of my actual guitar.)

TonyD
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm not a big Jackson fan either, I don't like the necks and I agree that they are pretty overpriced. But every guitar is different, so the best thing to do is sit down and play it if at all possible see how it sounds, feels, etc.
Yeah I try not to have a bias when picking up a guitar at a shop, but generally the Jacksons I've tried have been all the same. Now the US models... thats a whole different story.

Me and my guitar, yes it has 'DIMEBAG RULEZ D00DZ' written all over it, but for what it cost, it plays and sounds great, and the ML shape feels right
http://a726.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_761bac3c5793992a2629d87ac08efc65.jpg

Maiden33
12-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Here's a stock photo of my guitar:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/ENL1EBCH1.JPG

JRA
12-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Yeah I try not to have a bias when picking up a guitar at a shop, but generally the Jacksons I've tried have been all the same. Now the US models... thats a whole different story.

Me and my guitar, yes it has 'DIMEBAG RULEZ D00DZ' written all over it, but for what it cost, it plays and sounds great, and the ML shape feels right
http://a726.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_761bac3c5793992a2629d87ac08efc65.jpg

The "Dimebag" shape is totally badass though. :rocker:

TonyD
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, its a somewhat radical shape without looking like a medival torture device.
Perfect shape for practice sitting down too.

Maiden33
12-21-2007, 07:17 AM
And here's some live photos of me playing my guitar:

http://www.necromancetheband.com/croc5716.jpg

http://www.necromancetheband.com/croc645.JPG

TonyD
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Totally metal.
Is that your Randall head? What model is it?

And I just remembered, Kirk Hammett switched to Randall. New amp is coming out soon, any thoughts?

Spiral_Slave
12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Totally metal.

And I just remembered, Kirk Hammett switched to Randall. New amp is coming out soon, any thoughts?

Kirk Hammet sucks. I'd like to get a Randal or Krank head but they're a little out of my price range at least for right now and my Line 6 is just fine.

Dimebag_Rusty
12-23-2007, 08:22 PM
to the one with the dean.. really nice

ive got a kick ass dean too. A lefty Dean FBD with a floyd rose and dimebucker. Same shape as yours.. same color as yours

TonyD
12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
to the one with the dean.. really nice

ive got a kick ass dean too. A lefty Dean FBD with a floyd rose and dimebucker. Same shape as yours.. same color as yours

yeah. the only differences are a floyd rose, a duncan pickup and $500
:hecho:

Maiden33
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Totally metal.

Nope, not mine. It actually belongs to Chris Caffery (TSO, Savatage). We were opening for his solo band and Doro that night.

I've had a Fender FM 212R for like 3+ years and despite that it's only a 100 watt combo amp, I'm very happy with the sound I get out of it. I'm looking to upgrade to a Line 6 Spider III 150W half-stack in a few months.

Dimebag_Rusty
12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah. the only differences are a floyd rose, a duncan pickup and $500
:hecho:

hahah im lucky.. thats the best lefty guitar available from dean (without custom ordering) so I had to get it.

Spiral_Slave
12-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Working through some of the licks from Michael Romeo's " The Guitar Chapter. " Anyone else seen this?

Maiden33
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
You know what's a really upsetting experience? Having a Slipknot song kick your ass on Guitar Hero when you can play music 1000 times more complex on a real guitar.

TonyD
12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
You know what's a really upsetting experience? Having a Slipknot song kick your ass on Guitar Hero when you can play music 1000 times more complex on a real guitar.

Or having your ass kicked by a song that you know how to play on guitar
I actually know the dude who sang on The Trooper for the game

Spiral_Slave
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I finally decided to tune down my guitar to C standard, and played along with my own custom Arch Enemy set.

01. Blood On Your Hands
02. Leader Of The Rats
03. Ravenous
04. Hybrids Of Steel
05. Nemesis

Was pretty awesome, now I'm working on figuring our Christopher's lead in " Vultures. "

hot_turkey_ed
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I finally decided to tune down my guitar to C standard, and played along with my own custom Arch Enemy set.

01. Blood On Your Hands
02. Leader Of The Rats
03. Ravenous
04. Hybrids Of Steel
05. Nemesis

Was pretty awesome, now I'm working on figuring our Christopher's lead in " Vultures. "

Put it on YouTube! :blaze:

Spiral_Slave
03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Put it on YouTube! :blaze:

Been lookin' into getting a cam for a while...Possibly when I get my tax return in about two weeks, then sure I'll upload some videos. :horns:

powerslave_85
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
These are my guitars:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/powerslave_85/guitars2.jpg

A DeArmond M-65 (on the left) and a Fender Strat (obviously). Sitting behind the Strat is my shitty little practice amp. I fell so far behind on improving my skills when I got into college that I probably haven't improved at all since high school. I'm hoping I can devote more time to it now. Plus, I desperately need a new, beefier amp, but that keeps getting put on the back burner because of other priorities.

Maiden33
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM

01. Blood On Your Hands
02. Leader Of The Rats
03. Ravenous
04. Hybrids Of Steel
05. Nemesis

C standard? Disgusting. Better to go just to drop C and play some Circle II Circle and Evergrey.
All in all though, I really don't like downtuning. I won't not listen to bands because of it, but I honestly can't find any good reason to tune down as much as so many bands anymore do. I'm standard all the way.

powerslave_85
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
One thing I don't like about my Strat is that it isn't accommodating to alternate tunings. If you want to tune down, you have to adjust the floating bridge. It's not a big deal, though, because I very rarely tune lower than drop-D, and when I do I just use my other guitar.

Maiden33
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
One thing I don't like about my Strat is that it isn't accommodating to alternate tunings. If you want to tune down, you have to adjust the floating bridge. It's not a big deal, though, because I very rarely tune lower than drop-D, and when I do I just use my other guitar.

Strats aren't very good for being in tune, in any tuning unless you've made signifigant modifications to them.

Spiral_Slave
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Strats aren't very good for being in tune, in any tuning unless you've made signifigant modifications to them.

I've never had trouble with my strat staying in tune, and I haven't made any modifications that would change that. Just stay away from using the tremolo bar and you shouldn't have a problem.

powerslave_85
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I've never had trouble with my strat staying in tune, and I haven't made any modifications that would change that. Just stay away from using the tremolo bar and you shouldn't have a problem.
That's exactly what I was going to say. As long as I keep it in standard, it's fine.

TonyD
03-04-2008, 10:58 PM
If you have the standard 6-screw bridge, you probably will have tuning problems if you're bending or playing heavy strings.
It's an easy fix, all you have to do is open up the rear trem cover and wedge the bridge with a small block of wood.

Maiden33
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM

I was just joking because my first guitar was a Strat and it would never stay in tune... but then again it was Squier, not even an actual Fender. I really hated that guitar, and have not liked a Strat since.

SomewhereInTime72
03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I was just joking because my first guitar was a Strat and it would never stay in tune... but then again it was Squier, not even an actual Fender. I really hated that guitar, and have not liked a Strat since.

Have that guitar too, don't like it at all. I now just keep it tuned to DADFAE and only use it when I feel like playing in that tuning, which isn't often. :D

Spiral_Slave
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Have that guitar too, don't like it at all. I now just keep it tuned to DADFAE and only use it when I feel like playing in that tuning, which isn't often. :D

Haha, that's pretty much everyone's first guitar. I really love the strat I've got now though, getting a scalloped 22 fret neck with reverse headstock soon then I'll be all done modifiying it. :party:

TonyD
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Haha, that's pretty much everyone's first guitar. I really love the strat I've got now though, getting a scalloped 22 fret neck with reverse headstock soon then I'll be all done modifiying it. :party:

Nice. What model is the guitar?

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Nice. What model is the guitar?

Fender USA strat, white with pearloid pickguard, 2 seymour duncan super distortion humbuckers, two-way pickup switch, and the new neck on the way.

Spiral_Slave
08-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I've decided it's time to ressurrect this thread. Today I've been working through " Holy Light " by Stratovarius just to improve the clarity of my alternate picking, and it's suprisingly easy.

Maiden33
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I've decided it's time to ressurrect this thread. Today I've been working through " Holy Light " by Stratovarius just to improve the clarity of my alternate picking, and it's suprisingly easy.

Timo Tolkki = not as good as many people think he is. It's just a lot of fast picking. The Speed of Light solo is pretty easy.

ADD
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Playing solos is my hardest thing with guitar, I'm a pretty good rhythm player but I can't play leads worth shit. Any tips for teaching yourself how to play a good fluid solo?

Spiral_Slave
08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Playing solos is my hardest thing with guitar, I'm a pretty good rhythm player but I can't play leads worth shit. Any tips for teaching yourself how to play a good fluid solo?

Well the first thing is to become familiar and fluent with the different techniques used in the solo. For most solos, alternate picking is a must so really practice that. Another thing that Ralph reccomended to me and has been a huge help is the use of a metronome. Start off slow and play along with the metronome to build speed and precision. Don't go faster unless you are completely confident with the speed you are at. It can be a long and agonizing process sometimes, but it pays off.

Maiden33
08-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Well, it's hard for me to give advice since I have no formal guitar training, my only training is theory.
But if you want to play good solos:
You need to be good with scales, it's a no-brainer really. If you don't know scales you can't solo very well, so you definitely want to make sure you know those. In addition to that, I think of it like this:
Picture where all the notes in a typical scale on a guitar fall, and work on getting to these points and working around them. For example, say I'm in the key of E minor. I know everywhere on the guitar the notes I would want are. That makes improv about 100,000 times easier, because you don't need to plan every detail out, you can just make it up by knowing scales and note placement. Oh, and it REALLY helps to know the chord structure of what you're playing over. Obviously if it's just one-chord or ridiculous riffing this is a void point, but if you know the chord structure, it will help you know what notes work better, and also if you're doing any sort of an arpeggio, you kind of need to know what chord(s) to be arpeggiating.
There's a few techniques essential to playing good solos. The first key aspect I think A LOT of starters miss is vibrato. It's absolutely essential to making longer notes sound good. You need to get that string vibration going with your finger, it makes things sound about 50x better. Another is artificial harmonics, but you probably are already familiar with that from rhythm playing. Hammer-ons and Pull-offs, tapping, bends, and alternate picking are obviously all important aspects.
I also think (barring shred-based solos) it's crucially important to base solos, at least the beginnings of them, around a strong melody, many times borrowed from another section of the song. Either a strong melody or a really important drawn-out note really help to start-off a solo, this is the kind of thing that makes Adrian Smith solos so awesome... he gives you that bit to grab onto that makes you remember it.

I hope this was of some help, but, like I said, I'm self-taught, I make my own rules up as I go along.

SomewhereInTime72
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Like the others said, the most important aspect for learning to play lead guitar is the metronome. Practice everything from like simple exercises to actual songs you're learning with it. A good way to use it is just start off pretty slow (which for certain things can almost be harder than playing fast) and gradually increase the tempo until its so fast you cant play it accurately anymore. ;) Keep your focus on accuracy and clean/smoothness in the playing, that way when you do get up to the higher tempos you can nail it without it sounding sloppy (which noone likes :().

When it comes to improvising and/or writing your own solos - the two best sources of help can be from music theory (whether its just very basic stuff, or really intensely out there stuff) and from just learning the solos from songs you like. When you learn it though, don't just learn the notes, analyze it sorta and figure out what about the solo makes you love it and try to incorporate that feel into your own playing. Most importantly, just keep practicing, playing and writing or whatever, and eventually all the good shit you want will come pretty naturally to ya. ;)

JRA
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
http://view.break.com/551157

HOLY HAIRY BALLS!

Maiden33
08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

Spiral_Slave
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

That guy played guitar for DisasterPeace both times I saw them along with Pete Blakk from King Diamond.

Maiden33
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
That guy played guitar for DisasterPeace both times I saw them along with Pete Blakk from King Diamond.

Awesome. I just knew about him because he played on a few of Rob Rock's albums.

Maiden33
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been working through Savatage's "Silk and Steel" off of Gutter Ballet... it's an acoustic piece and it's really helping to keep me on my toes, it's a lot of fun but a challenge at the same time.

Spiral_Slave
08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Been checking out the new Rockhouse Guitar DVD with Alexi Laiho. He really shows a lot of different licks and riffs, it's pretty damn cool. I'd reccomend it to any Alexi fans.

JRA
09-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Been checking out the new Rockhouse Guitar DVD with Alexi Laiho. He really shows a lot of different licks and riffs, it's pretty damn cool. I'd reccomend it to any Alexi fans.

a) Do you have to be a guitar techy to appreciate it?

b) I've been trolling Bodom Setlists here, and even when they were first coming to America, the only song they played from Something Wild is "Deadnight Warrior." Does Alexi not like it or something?

Spiral_Slave
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
a) Do you have to be a guitar techy to appreciate it?

b) I've been trolling Bodom Setlists here, and even when they were first coming to America, the only song they played from Something Wild is "Deadnight Warrior." Does Alexi not like it or something?

a) No, not really.

b) Lake Bodom used to be played somewhat frequently. But yeah, Alexi doesn't care too much for SW.

Spiral_Slave
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Been working through " The Psalm Of Lydia " by Nevermore. Jesus, those arpeggios in the intro are out of control.

SomewhereInTime72
09-04-2008, 08:18 AM
b) Lake Bodom used to be played somewhat frequently. But yeah, Alexi doesn't care too much for SW.

It's just not -core enough for him.

:(

Spiral_Slave
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I was wondering what kind amplification every one on here uses. I am currently saving up to get the Randall Gus G signature "Heaven And Hell" head but right now I play through a line 6 spider two half stack. I can get a good sound out of it, but overall I find the tone of line 6's to sound too processed. So what does every one else use?

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack. I absolutely fucking love it. The versatility is excellent and I am absolutely in love with the tones I set up for myself. I am certainly not thinking about upgrading any time soon.

SomewhereInTime72
07-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Vox Valvetronix AD Model

Tuuuuuubes. :cool: ;)

b_halperin
07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack. I absolutely fucking love it. The versatility is excellent and I am absolutely in love with the tones I set up for myself. I am certainly not thinking about upgrading any time soon.

awesome i have line 6 spider III also. it is a great amp.

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 09:11 PM
awesome i have line 6 spider III also. it is a great amp.

:fist:

I'd like the lead guitar sound on my band's CD to stand as a testament to the greatness of that amp. I could not be any happier with the lead tone.

JRA
07-19-2009, 09:56 PM
HAI GUYS, I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT MAI FAVRIT SHAPED GUITARS!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Epiphone_flying_v_guitar_svg.svg/800px-Epiphone_flying_v_guitar_svg.svg.png

http://www.my-guitars.ru/vybor%20gitary/gibson%20explorer.JPG

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/6/1/4/5/614580/pics/_c299881_image_0.jpg

http://www.premierguitar.com/Stream/StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=21811&type=gear&Image_Type=full

and in the event that all of these guitars die on stage and I have to use a backup...

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/gibson_sg_standard-400-400.jpg

Wow... I really like the color black. :eyes:

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Do you play guitar?

JRA
07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Do you play guitar?

No, I'm just a wandering admirer. If you don't mind I would like to hear the random opinions on the actual sounds of those guitars.

makethemsuffer12
07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Yay geetar!

I currently play a Schecter Hellraiser V (black, string through) and an Epiphone Goth Explorer (needs new pickups like Iced Earth needs to do another US tour)

Amp is currently my old Spider III 75, which I manage to get a decent tone with from the "For The Love Of God" preset with a few modifications. I would kill for a Vyper 120 or a JSX though.

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 10:19 PM
No, I'm just a wandering admirer. If you don't mind I would like to hear the random opinions on the actual sounds of those guitars.

Well, I'm really not into weird shapes all that much, but on a case-by-case basis, here's how I feel:

First guitar is an Epiphone Gothic V. If I ever were to play a V, it would be an Epi/Gibson one for sure, as I am die-hard les Paul player. Haven't ever played more than like 2 of them in my life, but for V's I like them. The gothic finish is nice because it doesn't show fingerprints.

Second is a Gibson Expolorer. I quite like Explorers myself and at some point in my life will probably own one. As I said, I'm a pretty faithful believer in anything Epiphone/Gibson. The guitars in general just tend to get really good tone and the stock pick ups are good enough that you can get a good guitar for a good price and not have to pay $200 to get new pick ups.

Next is a Jackson RR3, I think. It's definitely the same body design and whatnot. The RR3 is probably one of my most-hated guitars. There are a lot of Jackson models in general I'm not crazy about, but this one definitely takes the cake for my least favorite. I think they feel terrible neck-wise, the stock pick-ups suck, and the overall tone is just not very good. My friend had one and I just couldn't believe how much I disliked everything about it. Not to mention the stupid body design makes it impossible to store in any case except for fucking enormous custom cases which will run you $200, even though the guitar weighs about 10 pounds.

The fourth one is an Ibanez Iceman, which I believe our own Spiral Slave actually owns. I'm not an Ibanez person myself, and I've always found the body shape of the Iceman to be fairly ugly, but I can't really weigh in on the specifics of one myself.

The last guitar is a Peavey Wolfgang, which is another guitar I personally have never played but have always been curious about. One of these days I'll get around to it. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice for metal guitar though, more for lighter distortions and more unusual tones.

Maiden33
07-19-2009, 10:30 PM
My primary guitar for the past 5 years has been this, which I swear to you is the best guitar you will ever buy for the price. I have never made a single modification to make it sound or play better, it is just a fantastic instrument.It has played over 40 live shows as well as recording our CD, and it has yet to let me down.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/a63c33f039f4f91d07cd4d3965ddf15d.jpg

I also have this, which I bought about a year and a half ago. It has only ever played one live show with me and unfortunately has been in disrepair for quite some time as I really fucked up the Floyd Rose system by accident. I didn't like the tone as much as my les Paul, naturally, but it was better for more shred-y type stuff, and it just looks badass.
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/00050734.jpg

JRA
07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
The last guitar is a Peavey Wolfgang, which is another guitar I personally have never played but have always been curious about. One of these days I'll get around to it. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice for metal guitar though, more for lighter distortions and more unusual tones.

I actually switched that picture to a Gibson SG at the last second because I'm a pussy. I was originally gonna go with whatever Eddie Van Halen was plugging at the time, but then I went with the SG, because when I think SG, I think Tony FUCKING Iommi.....and Angus Young.

As for the guitars you posted, the second one's shape kinda pisses me off because whenever I see that design, I think of the thousands of nu-metal bands I've seen playing it.

Holy shit, I forgot all about Glenn Tipton's guitar:

http://www.classicrockphotos.com/fcWebApp/product_images/GlenTipton_200x.jpg

After your finished shredding, you can use that spike on the end of it to impale someone.

TonyD
07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
As for the guitars you posted, the second one's shape kinda pisses me off because whenever I see that design, I think of the thousands of nu-metal bands I've seen playing it.

It's a super strat, you will see thousands of people in any kind of rock band playing something similar.
Also: I'm pretty cool rite?
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/powerage225/heroes/tony.jpg

Spiral_Slave
07-20-2009, 03:38 AM

My Ibanez Iceman plays great and sounds terrific. I've always loved the shape, which is what attracted me to it in the first place, but it's really just a great guitar.

Maiden33
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM

I really haven't seen many players in nu-ish bands playing that guitar or ones like it. Ibanez is sort of the flagship guitar brand for nu-metal players. Most power metal guitarists tend to play ESP guitars. (Edguy, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Firewind). The body shape is overall pretty common everywhere though.

JRA
07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
It's a super strat, you will see thousands of people in any kind of rock band playing something similar.
Also: I'm pretty cool rite?
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/powerage225/heroes/tony.jpg

Yes; we've already discussed how awesome your guitar's shape is in this thread.

SomewhereInTime72
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.salaomozart.com/store/images/REVOLVER-PRO.jpg

This guitar doesn't quite look as awesome as the others, but I like it and would love to buy it one day when I have the money to spare. :hmm:

Maiden33
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I WANT THIS.
http://www.guitarsite.com/news/images/guitar/adriansmith.jpg

TonyD
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Jackson was only allowed to do that because it is owned by Fender now, which has dropped quality and raised prices. You're looking at a hot rodded American Strat.

b_halperin
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
My guitar:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/6/5/4/6/654661/pics/_c358420_image_0.jpg

Spiral_Slave
07-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Here's my arsenal as of right now.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Swinelords/axes.jpg

Maiden33
07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
The one on the right is an ESP EX, right?

makethemsuffer12
07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I WANT THIS.
http://www.guitarsite.com/news/images/guitar/adriansmith.jpg

Adrian Smith signature, right?

Maiden33
07-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Adrian Smith signature, right?

Yeah.

Spiral_Slave
07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
The one on the right is an ESP EX, right?

Yep.

JRA
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM

:eek::eek::eek::drool: Your penis, my mouth. NOW!!:mad:

SomewhereInTime72
07-20-2009, 02:17 PM

We have one guitar in common (the rightmost). :cool:

nxtVH90
07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I have played with both "SerpentineVIVIVI" and "makethemsuffer12". Both are great guitarists. They also have pretty sweet gear. As for me, i use a Dean Dime-O-Flame primarilly. I also use a mexican Fender Stratocaster (with Humbucker), a Fender Jazz bass, and a ender acoustic guitar. I use with them a Line 6 Spider III, which sounds great with the foot pedal and Zakk Wylde wah.

Maiden33
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
To my fellow Line 6 users:

Do you guys use the programmed amp presets or did you take the time to design and save your own sounds?

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Do you guys use any alternate tunings often? What are your favorites? (this is always fun IMO).

I actually usually have one guitar at all times in DADFAE (lol opeth tuning :fist: ) because I find it's a pretty awesome and useful open tuning that I like to have on hand. My other favorite alternate tuning would be FACGCE, which is really fun to fool around with, and I've come up with some of my favorite chord progressions and riffs using. :)

JRA
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Whenver I hear C-tuning, I will forever assume that mallcore or nu-metal is being played.

nxtVH90
07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
To my fellow Line 6 users:

Do you guys use the programmed amp presets or did you take the time to design and save your own sounds?

I use the presets. the tone i want is already there...

The_jman
07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I have an epiphone g400 sg guitar, its white. its really awsome and I love it. However I can't play worth shit, need to take lessons or something. Got it cause playing guitar when I'm upset or stressed makes me happy. I can't seem to not smile when holding a guitar...just wish I could play better, more than a few chords haha. Like I played trumpet for god knows how many years so I know some music theory, I just don't know any songs, and well. can't read music due to my vision problem. I try to learn things by ear but I'm not that good at it, lol even after years of practicing it. I can learn songs to sing by ear, but, not guitar, I could do it a little with my trumpet but not the guitar, this is probably cause I don't know as much about where the notes are without thinking and such but yeah. I'd love to learn more sometime.

nxtVH90
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I like drop d, E flat standard, and drop C. but for C, i prefer to play melodic death. Not mallcore or nu metal

The_jman
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I like drop d, E flat standard, and drop C. but for C, i prefer to play melodic death. Not mallcore or nu metal
I love the sound of drop d tuning.

Maiden33
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty much a standard-tuning guy. I'll playing in E flat, D-standard, or Drop C to play along to stuff for fun, but when it comes to writing my own stuff, I stick to standard mostly. I have written a couple of things in Drop D, but don't get too hung up on it. Tuning down is really overrated in my opinion, and if you know the right tricks, you can make standard tuning sound really heavy on its own. Occasionally I'll play in Open D tuning when I play acoustic, but that's about it.

Maiden33
07-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I use the presets. the tone i want is already there...

I designed my own presets. Most of the signature tones are by musicians I care nothing about, and in general I really just don't want to get hung up on having someone else's guitar sound. I am incredibly proud of my own sounds, and prefer them to anything that came standard on the amp. Some of the song presets and whatnot are fun to screw around with though.

Spiral_Slave
07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
My new band's songs are all in C standard so I'm in that a lot, or D standard. And when I give lessons I'm always in standard

nxtVH90
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
My new band's songs are all in C standard so I'm in that a lot, or D standard. And when I give lessons I'm always in standard

how many guitars do you use?

Spiral_Slave
07-24-2009, 08:10 AM
how many guitars do you use?

I currently have four, there's a picture one page back.

makethemsuffer12
07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
On the discussion of Spider III presets, I use the "For The Love Of God" tone with the delay taken off and the channel volume put to max. And on the discussion of tunings, I mainly use Eb/Drop C# nowadays. I used to use D/Drop C alot, but I kinda killed it. On my other guitar I just put on some thicker strings so I tune that down to B standard.

TonyD
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Role call on string gagues.
10-13-17-30-42-52 for E
10-13-17-36-52-60 for C#

b_halperin
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I designed my own presets. Most of the signature tones are by musicians I care nothing about, and in general I really just don't want to get hung up on having someone else's guitar sound. I am incredibly proud of my own sounds, and prefer them to anything that came standard on the amp. Some of the song presets and whatnot are fun to screw around with though.

so true.

makethemsuffer12
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
String Gauges : 10s for E-D, 11s for C-B (12s would be way better, though). I keep my guages fairly light. I used to use 10s for C#/Drop B lol.

SomewhereInTime72
07-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I do 11-13-18-30-42-52. Not too heavy, but still not light. It's how I like to roll, bitches.

edit: I never really tune any lower than C# standard on any of the strings, so it manages to work out usually.

b_halperin
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
i use 0.13 gauge strings

Maiden33
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Holy crap am I the only person here who uses 0.09's?

nxtVH90
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM

nope...but the next time i buy strings, it will probably be .10

TonyD
07-25-2009, 09:52 AM

I like my strings like I like my women.

SomewhereInTime72
07-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I like my strings like I like my women.

Rusty and on the verge of replacement. :cool:

TonyD
07-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Rusty and on the verge of replacement. :cool:

More like clean, tight and thick.

SomewhereInTime72
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM

And steel. :naughty:

JRA
07-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I take it the smaller the number, the lighter the string?

TonyD
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I take it the smaller the number, the lighter the string?

You got it. I believe the standard unit is thousandths of an inch. Meaning
10 = .010 = 1 hundredth of an inch

ADD
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Been playin a Washburn HB-35S semi hollow for a couple years, also have a modern 'metal' looking LTD which is good for playing faster and crunchier. The Washburn is dirty and gnarly and I love it, gives hella feedback though. Got standard .11's on the LTD, .14's on the Wash.

Spiral_Slave
07-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I've been trying to figure out the right fingering for the arpeggios in the intro to "The Missing Coordinates" by Scar Symmetry, does anyone have any idea what the fuck he's doing?

Axis_Of_Metal
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to playing guitar, currently I am self taught just wondering if someone could give me some tips or even suggest a song I can learn to play I have an acoustic for the time being any suggestions would be great.

TonyD
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Learn as much as you can by ear. Just looking at your post I can suggest Coil, since it's a fairly easy acoustic piece with some chords that will get your fingers into shape.
One thing I can say if you're trying to learn songs is not to get hung up on any single song, the same way you don't want to get stuck on one question in a test. If you're practicing every day, don't focus on one thing for the whole time you are practicing in a day.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I never did show my axes here...

I've been playing guitar on and off since the spring of 2003, when I started teaching myself guitar. I've played in a few local bands, but I haven't played a show in two and a half years now, which is depressing. Lately I've been mostly involved with music projects... Recording covers, writing instrumental pieces, playing the piano, and occasionally helping out at my friend's studio (contributing lyrics, song titles, etc. to various projects) so I haven't been playing much guitar, but it's something I've been really missing lately, and once I move and get settled down I hope to play some more.

My first guitar was just a basic Squier Strat. I still have it, and I put some Fender pickups in it that I got from a buddy's Fender Strat. It's a really noisy guitar as configured, but it's got some nice crunch for some backing. My second guitar was an Epiphone G-400 SG. Any time that I've played a show, I've played at least a song or two on my SG. It's been a great guitar. It's had some wiring issues, but other than that, I think it's a lot of quality for the price. Still one of my favorite guitars to play. My newest guitar is a Fender Deluxe Power Stratocaster... It's a beast. It's got Tex-Mex single-coil pickups, a Tex-Mex humbucker, and it's got a Fishman pickup in the bridge. It really produces some awesome acoustic sounding tones, and it sounds great in drive too. I also have Squier Affinity P-Bass. Pretty basic, but it gets the job done.

I've expiremented with a lot of brands of strings with a variety of gauges over the years, but in general, I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-13-17-26-36-46) on my guitars, except for the SG, which typically has Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (11-14-18-28-38-48.)

I also have an Ibanez acoustic-electric guitar. Aside from guitars, I have a bit of other equipment. I haven't updated this list in a while, particularly with regards to software, but with my current ProTools setup I can produce some very good quality recordings. I can only record two inputs at a time, but because for most projects I generally track every instrument, it's not a problem. And I don't play drums, I use my M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard (specifically its trigger pads) combined with Reason Drum ReFills 2.0 to produce my drums now, so the inability to have more than two inputs in my current setup is pretty okay. My friend's studio can record 16 inputs into ProTools at once, and I'm going to miss that when I move...

Equipment: http://www.twilightrequiem.com/equipment.php

The axes:

http://twilightrequiem.com/images/equipment/electric.jpg

Squier:

http://twilightrequiem.com/images/equipment/squier.jpg

SG:

http://twilightrequiem.com/images/equipment/sg.jpg

Fender:

http://twilightrequiem.com/images/equipment/fender.jpg

The_jman
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
... very nice

TonyD
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I forgot to mention that in metal, 3/4 of your tone is your amp.
Now show em.

b_halperin
06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Here to revive this thread!

Here's a picture I found of the guitar I have. It's an Epiphone SG. I've been playing guitar for a little over four years.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/6/5/4/6/654661/pics/_c358420_image_0.jpg

Recently I've been getting into more complex techniques like arpeggios and mastering scales. I don't like music theory as a concept, but I know that it will definitely make me a better guitar player.

Just figured out how to play Punish and Enslave - Hammerfall. Fun song!

Maiden33
06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I've been spending most of today working through a dozen or so Queensryche songs - auditioning for a tribute band next Thursday. Some of their stuff = much more intricate than it sounds.

Cynicist
06-20-2010, 06:58 AM
sharing

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/cynicists/voyager.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/cynicists/dc127.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/cynicists/kv3.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/cynicists/Krull.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Carvins = pure sex

My friend has one and it was probably one of the best, if not the best guitar I've ever played.

TonyD
06-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Let's take a moment to appreciate the wonders of tube amplification.
http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/egnater-rebel-20-inside.jpg

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of tube amps. I absolutely love my Line 6 because it's all digital... same exact tone anywhere, any time, any volume - no matter what.

And just out of curiosity, I own this model of guitar... if I decided to sell it, would anyone here possibly be interested?
http://www.markstein.de/isroot/markstein/Files/Bild3/00009246.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of tube amps. I absolutely love my Line 6 because it's all digital... same exact tone anywhere, any time, any volume - no matter what.

:hmm:

I'm so sick of my Spider 3. It's the same stale, digitized, shit tone every single day. I would kill to have a good tube amp, or a professional quality digital unit like the Fractal Axe FX (though that thing costs more than most tube heads).

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 12:23 PM
:hmm:

I'm so sick of my Spider 3. It's the same stale, digitized, shit tone every single day. I would kill to have a good tube amp, or a professional quality digital unit like the Fractal Axe FX (though that thing costs more than most tube heads).

You know you can design your own tones and save them, right? I find absolutely no shortage of versatility and quality possible with the amp.

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 12:29 PM
You know you can design your own tones and save them, right? I find absolutely no shortage of versatility and quality possible with the amp.

I know. I've had the thing for 3-4 years already. It's shit. It's versatile, in the sense that it can produce various shitty sounds, even compared to similar amps like the Peavey Vypyr, which absolutely blows the Line 6 out of the water. It just sounds fake. Nothing can compete with the rich, organic tone of a tube amp.

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I know. I've had the thing for 3-4 years already. It's shit. It's versatile, in the sense that it can produce various shitty sounds, even compared to similar amps like the Peavey Vypyr, which absolutely blows the Line 6 out of the water. It just sounds fake. Nothing can compete with the rich, organic tone of a tube amp.

Thanks. I guess I'll just disregard everything I've ever thought and ever been told about my tone and go sell my amp now, since you've just "told me how it is". :lol:

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not trying to bring you down for liking the amp or anything, but I personally hate it. I mean, whatever floats your boat, dude, but I was just giving my input on the matter.

But there is a reason why you don't see Jeff Loomis or Steve Vai playing a Spider...

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not trying to bring you down for liking the amp or anything, but I personally hate it. I mean, whatever floats your boat, dude, but I was just giving my input on the matter.

But there is a reason why you don't see Jeff Loomis or Steve Vai playing a Spider...

I think the reason you don't see big names playing Line 6 amps is because of the fact that they can afford to play whatever they want. I don't claim that it's the best thing out there, but for what I paid for it, I think it's fairly untouchable. But if I had my own endorsement deal with the amp company of my choice and access/money to whatever gear I wanted, I really doubt I'd make the same choice. But for a relatively affordable solid state head, the versatility it provides is excellent. And I know what you mean about processed, "fake" tone, but I think if you manipulate the amp, it's capable of a lot more than that.

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Fake, lifeless, digital... I don't know how many more ways you want me to describe it. Also, the truth of the matter is that you can get better for the money, for example the Peavey Vypyr, which is pretty much the same concept, but executed much better.

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Fake, lifeless, digital... I don't know how many more ways you want me to describe it. Also, the truth of the matter is that you can get better for the money, for example the Peavey Vypyr, which is pretty much the same concept, but executed much better.

I didn't want you to describe it any more. I know what you're saying and agree to a point, but I disagree with your statement that that's all that it can do, as evidenced by my own guitar sounds I designed and use.

TonyD
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
What this thread needs
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/SpiderValveMkIIHD100-FrontAngle-LORES_clipped-1ee5668eb2177516b481a02f86b6939e.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
^ :lol:
That's a pretty good amp, though I still feel that some of that overly digital tone passes over to it. As I've said before,
Peavey Vypyr (especially the tube ones)>>>>>>>>Line 6 Spiders.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/products/Bugera%20333xl%20head.jpg

This amp is the sex. 650 bucks for an ALL TUBE 120 watt head? Yes please. Not to mention that is sounds really good too. For the money you can't beat it.

TonyD
06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
I probably would have got one of those had I known about them, I think they started advertising right after I got my head. I have a Randall RH50T, basically the cheapest high power all tube head available at the time.

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 06:29 AM
I probably would have got one of those had I known about them, I think they started advertising right after I got my head. I have a Randall RH50T, basically the cheapest high power all tube head available at the time.

The same thing happened with me actually, except in my case I bought a Line 6 Flextone III, which was a good amp, except it crapped out on me :mad:

And at that point I had no sort of warranty either, so I'm fucked for that, and I have no idea what the problem actually is.

darkguardian50
06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
I don't play much anymore, haven't in about 5 years. I suck now.

I have 4 main guitars. My original Cobalt blue Jackson Kelly with the Petrucci treatment (the 3 way coil tap switch) and Air Norton/Steve's Special pickup combo.

Then I have a Charvel 750XL red quilttop, sort of unusual as I think most were flametops. That has custom made pickups. Likewise I've got a Warmoth mutt that I pieced together that has a mahogany body, fantastic quilt top, custom pickups. A Pau Ferro Neck and a Kingwood fingerboard. Absolutely badass and it didn't cost hardly anything. My baby though is a Jackson Death Angel custom archtop. I'll let the pics speak for it.

Equipment wise I have my original amp which was a Behringer Blue Devil combo. The first tube combo I got which is a B-52, I use that one alot its pretty nice for the price. And About 4 years ago I sold a guitar to a guy along with some home theater stuff and got a Engl Fireball Head that just shreds.

Guitar Porn:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_001.jpg?t=1273738460
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_002.jpg?t=1273738594
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_004.jpg?t=1273738644
I'll post the specs later if anyone wants them. Took almost 2 and a half years to get it. This was done before Fender bought Jackson.

TonyD
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
This was done before Fender bought Jackson.

Lucky you. I'm not too fond of the shape, hardware or bolt on neck, but I'm sure it plays well.

darkguardian50
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Lucky you. I'm not too fond of the shape, hardware or bolt on neck, but I'm sure it plays well.

Yea, the new Jacksons CS's I've played after Fender acquired the company are nice but about twice the price and have alot of hardware problems. This guitar though outplays any other guitar I've ever played from masterbuilt fenders to les paul customs to PRS McCarty's. The only guitar I ever got a chance to play that equaled it was a DTM Pheonix and at about 14 grand thats hardly a fair comparison.

A bolt on from a good custom shop is no different than a neck thru. Of course in production models there is a big difference but its not true for custom pieces if the builders know what they are doing. Also this is a carved neck heel and angled plate though the pic doesn't show it very well. Gives complete access to all 24 frets.

Hardware wise I love alot of sonic versatility which is why the HSH with the 5 blade. The little switch is a Petrucci style on-off-on splitter. I never have liked trems much and with a few exceptions have found you can do without them if you are a good player. Only 2 of my 4 guitars have trems. The warmoth being a fender basically (warmoth is a licensced fender replacement center) has a traditional trem. And my old cobalt Kelly has a 1st Gen Floyd copy.

The body was designed by Rob Castevany of Death Angel. Might be a production model soon but this model is actually the basis for the Warrior design, its been around a long time and has always been custom only. It looks kinda like a can opener on top. Always been one of my fav guitar bodies though.

TonyD
06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah a good bolt on is probably better in the long run because you can swap necks if anything happens, but maybe I'm just attached to the aesthetics of a set neck. Just curious how much did you pay?

JRA
06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_001.jpg?t=1273738460
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_002.jpg?t=1273738594
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/darkguardian50/dagreen_004.jpg?t=1273738644

I'm pretty sure if I knocked on Kim Kardashian's door with that thing, she'd want me to stick my penis in her butt.

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah a good bolt on is probably better in the long run because you can swap necks if anything happens, but maybe I'm just attached to the aesthetics of a set neck.

100% Agree.

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I still like bolt-ons. I played an ESP M-II with bolt-on construction about a week ago. I loved it.

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
My next guitar purchase is going to be one of these:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/2/5/592925.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
My next guitar purchase is going to be one of these:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/2/5/592925.jpg

Ernie Ball/Music Man, correct?

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Ernie Ball/Music Man, correct?

Yeah, John Petrucci model.

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, John Petrucci model.

Yeah that's what I thought. I never played a JP, but the other EB/MMs I've played were really nice.

SomewhereInTime72
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/musician/img/hide/mg145s_hy.jpg

I want this.

:eyes:

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 08:55 PM

I want this.

:barf: DO NOT WANT.

SomewhereInTime72
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I want a Fernandes with a Sustainer and I just think that design is badass. :eyes:

JRA
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM

I want this.

Kerry King used to play that shape. He should bring out that exact guitar just to troll everybody.

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
True metal! :eyes: :lol:

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Kerry King used to play that shape. He should bring out that exact guitar just to troll everybody.

ZOMG N00BFACE IT'S NOT A SHAPE IT'S A MOCKINGBIRD!!! ;)

TonyD
06-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I actually love Mockingbirds with flame tops, and I'm kinda picky about shapes.
I'm guessing that purchase isn't coming anytime soon, Maiden. It is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, popped a string on one at Guitar Center once or twice :D The Piezo system is awesome too if you have a complicated enough rig to run it.
I'd still take the EVH Wolfgang over it, if you have an extra grand to play with.

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm guessing that purchase isn't coming anytime soon, Maiden. It is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, popped a string on one at Guitar Center once or twice :D The Piezo system is awesome too if you have a complicated enough rig to run it.
I'd still take the EVH Wolfgang over it, if you have an extra grand to play with.

Yeah, no time soon. Christmas at the soonest, and that's if I'm employed then. I don't typically have $2,000-ish sitting around. If I did, my ProgPower USA trip wouldn't be in jeopardy, like it unfortunately is.

darkguardian50
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Just curious how much did you pay?
3100. I payed 1750 up front. Then 2 years later when it was finished I payed the balance. That same guitar with neck thru (Jackson doesn't do set necks anymore) was almost a grand more. As you said no real difference aside from looks (and yes it does look cleaner) so screw that. That same guitar now would be well over 5 grand because mine was masterbuilt (by Mike Shannon) and they have an upcharge now for that I think. Like 2 grand or something stupid like that. And if a guitar has certain features like mine it is automatically only available as a masterbuilt. I don't even wanna know what a neck thru version of my guitar would cost nowadays.

I really wanted a CS Charvel but no way I can afford it these days. It will never happen.'

I actually had a 2002 NAMM limited edition Red Flametop Mockingbird. Really nice string thru with gold hardware and abalone inlays. That was a neck thru. I got it for dirt cheap (like 500 bucks) and turned around and sold it for over a grand. Really nice player though, it was japanese made. Not normally a BC Rich fan but that was a sweet axe. That money from the sale of that axe helped me get the Engl head though so it was worth the sacrifice.

makethemsuffer12
06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
^That BC sounded really nice. I think they get way too much shit for their low end/mid range models. Their high end models are fantastic. Once I even played a Custom Shop Warlock (red, neck-through, EMGs, might've had an arched top, don't remember), the thing was beautiful and played like a dream.

TonyD
06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I think a lot about a company should be judged by their low end models though. The same goes for Jackson. The way they throw poorly made low end guitars that sell because of their shape alone says that the company is interested in making money more than quality instruments. Ibanez, ESP/LTD, PRS and even Dean put out guitars that are accessible and worth playing.

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I think a lot about a company should be judged by their low end models though. The same goes for Jackson. The way they throw poorly made low end guitars that sell because of their shape alone says that the company is interested in making money more than quality instruments. Ibanez, ESP/LTD, PRS and even Dean put out guitars that are accessable and worth playing.

I agree a lot with this. This is one reason I love Epiphone les Pauls. I have owned this (pictured below) guitar for abut 6 years now, and it has played 50+ shows, and done some recording work. For the (I think) $390 I paid for it, I couldn't asked for a better guitar.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/a63c33f039f4f91d07cd4d3965ddf15d.jpg

darkguardian50
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
My Kelly is a low end Jackson and not one of the japanese ones from the 90s either. I believe it was made in India or Korea. Either way it kicks ass. Most people seem to like the low end jacksons. Not to mention they have a affordable USA line of guitars that destroy most of the expensive import guitars from other brands. Ibanez is the one I hear alot of bad stuff about. And one of my early guitars was a cheap Ibanez strat and boy did it suck. ESP, Schecter, and Dean all do a very nice job on their low end stuff though. I feel the reverse though, judge a company on their actual models not the outsourced stuff. ESP expensive models are wastes of money and not very well made. Schecter I've not played any of their USA made stuff but I hear they are nice. Dean custom stuff is awesome.

And yes BC Rich stuff is really bad for the most part, and even the USA stuff has really had alot of QC issues for awhile. Sad to see how far that once great company has fallen.

SomewhereInTime72
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
So I took a break from guitar playing around last November. I was basically getting bored with it, and feeling extremely uninspired. And well today I decided it was about time I got into it so I just up and restrung my classical guitar.

The bright side is that it's the most fun I've had on a guitar in over a year. The not so bright side is that I suck now! It's gonna take me probably at least 4 months to get back to being as good as I was before I stopped. :eek: ...Should be fun.

DethMaiden
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
So I took a break from guitar playing around last November. I was basically getting bored with it, and feeling extremely uninspired. And well today I decided it was about time I got into it so I just up and restrung my classical guitar.

The bright side is that it's the most fun I've had on a guitar in over a year. The not so bright side is that I suck now! It's gonna take me probably at least 4 months to get back to being as good as I was before I stopped. :eek: ...Should be fun.

I hate this, happened to me too, except I just don't really have time to pick it back up. Playing guitar is nothing like riding a bike.

powerslave_85
07-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I need to get back into it. I also need a real amp. One of these days I'm going to get an Epiphone Les Paul, kinda like the one Jeff has.

SomewhereInTime72
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I hate this, happened to me too, except I just don't really have time to pick it back up. Playing guitar is nothing like riding a bike.

It's kinda like riding a bike... mentally. But being able to actually execute what comes into my head is like NAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

DethMaiden
07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
It's kinda like riding a bike... mentally. But being able to actually execute what comes into my head is like NAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

Yeah, that's putting it better. I can picture tabs in my head that I still know but I can't put them down on the strings! :lol:

Maiden33
07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I need to get back into it. I also need a real amp. One of these days I'm going to get an Epiphone Les Paul, kinda like the one Jeff has.

I fully endorse this decision. Best $400 I ever spent. :party:

powerslave_85
07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I want this finish/color combo:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/0/541045/pics/_c206935_image_0.gif

Maiden33
07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I want this finish/color combo:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/0/541045/pics/_c206935_image_0.gif

I am in love with that, mostly because of my massive John Sykes boner, and that's like a dead ringer for the color/finish of the Paul he always used. His custom model (very, very limited run, they're collectors items now) was very much like that.

The Pantangler
07-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Hmm, I've never been much of a les paul kinda guy. They just never fit my comfort or play style. Seems like everyone wants one though. I've been learning alot of Maiden lately, that stuff is SO much fun to play!

TonyD
07-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Well for one LPs sound way fatter than most guitars. If Gibson didn't raise the price of every guitar by 25% just for the name on the headstock I would have one already.