PDA

View Full Version : MATT BARLOW Rejoins ICED EARTH

DethMaiden
12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86574

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

WUT

XxRyaNxX
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
YES:rocker:

Fe Maiden
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
So, what is to happen to Ripper?

ravenheart
12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Rumours last week said he's rejoining Winters Bane (also awesome news).

DethMaiden
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Poor Ripper. First Priest boots him for Halford, now Iced Earth (as though they have any fucking right to) boot him for Barlow. How he hasn't killed himself I don't know.

powerslave_85
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ravenheart
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
They need to rerecord Framing Armageddon with Matt. Can't have two halves of a concept piece with different singers. That's just dumb.

SomewhereInTime72
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
They need to rerecord Framing Armageddon with Matt. Can't have two halves of a concept piece with different singers. That's just dumb.

We really dont need Framing Armageddon again.

JRA
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Am I the only one who felt that was fast? I mean Horror Show was what, 6 years ago?

These 90's bands cashing in on the reuniting thing is laughable. They break up and then 5 years later they're back. That's not a reunion, that's a vacation. At least the band's from the 70's and 80's waited at least a good 15 years.

I'll bet anyone anything Pantera will get back together with someone like Zakk Wylde replacing him. I guarantee it.

ADD
12-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Kill Iced Earth, anybody.

SomewhereInTime72
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I'll bet anyone anything Pantera will get back together with someone like Zakk Wylde replacing him. I guarantee it.

Why wouldn't they just call the band "Assholes" then?

ADD
12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Why wouldn't they just call the band "Assholes" then?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

powerslave_85
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I'll bet anyone anything Pantera will get back together with someone like Zakk Wylde replacing him. I guarantee it.It wouldn't really surprise me. Led Zeppelin always said they could never go on without John Bonham, and we all know how that turned out.

Nick
12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
In before Jeff enters thread and creams his pants.

SomewhereInTime72
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Ripper should join Anthrax.

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Ripper should join Anthrax.

That already happened. They're called Reaper.

I really like Matts voice, and hopefully he kicks Jon back into shape for this next album.

Tim has a nice voice, and it shows on Glorious Burden. But every single aspect of Something Wicked 2 sucked balls. I hope he does rejoin Winters Bane, because I still would like to see where he takes his career.

Maiden33
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Incredible news, I couldn't be happier with this news. I don't care if they rerecord Framing Armageddon, but I'd much rather see them rerecord Gettysburg with him, thus without a doubt making it my favorite Iced Earth song.

TonyD
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
That sucks for Ripper.
Maybe when Dickonson has an inevitable hissyfit, Ripper will find a new job.
And they can make a movie about it called "Mark-e Mark Plays Power Metal"

Nikki
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
:D

Div
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I thnik ym mind jsut tore iteslf in hlaf,

theclansman1114
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
In before Jeff enters thread and creams his pants.

:lol:

They need to rerecord Gettysburg ASAP!!!!!!:rocker:

hot_turkey_ed
12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I wonder who the singer will be on the Iced Earth album after next. :hecho:

es156
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Joey Belladonna.

hot_turkey_ed
12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Joey Belladonna.

:tongue:

Human_Metal
12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Best news of the whole year! This will be fucking awsome :party:

1 question, will he still record and play live with Pyramaze?

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 12:57 AM

The one before Barlow. To complete the circle.

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Am I the only one who felt that was fast? I mean Horror Show was what, 6 years ago?

Totally different circumstances with Barlow though. Had it not been for his "I want to make a difference" thing with 9/11 he wouldn't have left the band in the first place. This isn't really a reunion. It's just putting things back as they should have been.

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 01:09 AM
A quote from Pyramaze:

"Matt is still in the band, so don't worry about that. He will issue a press statement regarding this soon."

Maiden33
12-12-2007, 05:42 AM
The one before Barlow. To complete the circle.

Dear god I hope not. I like the Night of the Stormrider album, but Barlow is MUCH better than John Greely was.

JRA
12-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Joey Belladonna.

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Dear god I hope not. I like the Night of the Stormrider album, but Barlow is MUCH better than John Greely was.

He's much better at those songs too. His rerecorded versions on Days of Purgatory smoke the originals.

Maiden33
12-12-2007, 07:02 AM
He's much better at those songs too. His rerecorded versions on Days of Purgatory smoke the originals.

Yeah, for sure.

Div
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Yeah, for sure.

:lol: Greeley was a thousand times better than Barlow.

As far as this goes, if Jon can write another Horrow Show then I might drop my grudge, but the next album is probably going to suck just like the last one. Iced Earth died in 2000.

Axis_Of_Metal
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Iced Earth is fuckin back. Barlow is their best singer by far. ripper was alright but Barlow blows him out of the water

PowerMaiden
12-12-2007, 04:56 PM
great news :devilfing:

Cheerrs !
PowerMaiden

theclansman1114
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
:lol: Greeley was a thousand times better than Barlow.

:lol::lol::lol:
No way in hell.

ravenheart
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Barlow is their best singer by far. ripper was alright but Barlow blows him out of the water

No, he doesn't. He's just much more suited to Iced Earth's music than Ripper. Barlow wouldn't work in Winters Bane, whereas Ripper sounds amazing. Singers need to be in the right bands and Ripper was in the wrong one.

ravenheart
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Planned North American tour in the Spring is cancelled now, of course.

DarkTwilight
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Matt Barlow coming back to Iced Earth is 1000x worse than Iron Maiden's decision to play AMOLAD live in it's entirety for so many reasons, all which I will list and go completely off topic and start a huge flame war, and ruin a completely otherwise perfect thread...

nah im just fuckin around

but really, Barlow coming back was like a dream come true for me. Plus I knew this was going to happen. First of all, Iced Earth (jon schaffer) will do everything in their (his) power to be JUST like iron maiden and judas priest. After settling down with a good singer, he has to leave the band for 2 albums, and then make a glorious comeback. And what better way to copy off Judas Priest than using the same fill-in singer? Could you imagine if Jon tried to get Blaze Bailey? That would be kind of... weird...

Imagine a drunk 12 year old singing the intro to prophecy?!@?!?! I'm glad Jon is more of a fan of Judas Priest than Iron Maiden, or else The Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon would have been the 2 worst albums of all time...

So whats the deal, are these guys still touring North America? WTF

ravenheart
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
So whats the deal, are these guys still touring North America? WTF

Not in the Spring, no. I just said that ;)

Probably later.

Div
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
or else The Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon would have been the 2 worst albums of all time...

or else? ;)

DarkTwilight
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Not in the Spring, no. I just said that ;)

Probably later.

Do you have confirmation on this, or are you just Iced Earth's manager or something?

I mean, Matt already knows all the songs, he DID glorious burden (you just dont hear him on it) so whats that leave him with to learn.... 10000 strong, maybe 1 other new song... or they could tour with Ripper and have Matt come back later... wtf

DarkTwilight
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
or else? ;)

ok.. the albums weren't great, but I still liked them, but if Blaze Bailey was singing them, they would be simply horrendous

DethMaiden
12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Dude, I love The Glorious Burden, I don't see where everybody gets off hating it.

powerslave_85
12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I've learned that Iced Earth doesn't age well. I used to be really into them, but now I could care less.

DethMaiden
12-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I've learned that Iced Earth doesn't age well. I used to be really into them, but now I could care less.

Yeah, I get that too. But while I don't listen to them all the time, I don't hate the albums that I once loved. Thus, The Glorious Burden rules :tongue:

ravenheart
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Do you have confirmation on this, or are you just Iced Earth's manager or something?

I mean, Matt already knows all the songs, he DID glorious burden (you just dont hear him on it) so whats that leave him with to learn.... 10000 strong, maybe 1 other new song... or they could tour with Ripper and have Matt come back later... wtf

It's nowt to do with Matt knowing the songs (and he pops up in Gettysburg on TGB ;))

The recording of the second album is delayed because Matt's had a kid. The recording was scheduled to take place before the tour, so with the recording pushed back, the tour is also pushed back. That's all it is. They're going into the studio late January/early February.

Angelripper
12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought Ripper was great in the albums.

Oh well. Sappy ol' Barlow is back.

Nikki
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
bah, blame the children, it's all their fault.

Kidding, I can wait for Iced Earth.

Div
12-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Dude, I love The Glorious Burden, I don't see where everybody gets off hating it.

I like it too, I just couldn't resist jumping on that one.

DreamEvil001
12-13-2007, 06:21 PM

They need to rerecord Gettysburg ASAP!!!!!!:rocker:

scratch that, those are the only three songs by Iced Earth I really enjoy, Barlow would kill them for me

ravenheart
12-14-2007, 12:58 AM
I thought Ripper was great in the albums.

Oh well. Sappy ol' Barlow is back.

Great on TGB. As good as he could be on Framing Armageddon, but it's a shit album.

He's really not suited to the Barlow material live though.

Maiden33
12-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Matt Barlow coming back to Iced Earth is 1000x worse than Iron Maiden's decision to play AMOLAD live in it's entirety for so many reasons, all which I will list and go completely off topic and start a huge flame war, and ruin a completely otherwise perfect thread...

nah im just fuckin around

If it weren't for the "nah im just fuckin' around" I would've been driving down to your area to personally axe you to death. :axe:

:D

Maiden33
12-14-2007, 05:52 AM

Well I'm part of the 2% of people that actually likes Framing Armageddon. I don't love it, and admit it's got more than it's share of filler, but I think it draws far too much pointless bashing.

Fe Maiden
12-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Well I'm part of the 2% of people that actually likes Framing Armageddon. I don't like itHuh?:confused:

Maiden33
12-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Huh?:confused:

Sorry, should've been "I don't love it, but I like it" more or less. I'm making a lot of typing mistakes today.

Fe Maiden
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Sorry, should've been "I don't love it, but I like it" more or less. I'm making a lot of typing mistakes today.Gotcha;)

ravenheart
12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Some more from Mr. Schaffer:

"It will be sometime before I’m going to be doing press due to the holidays and the fact that I’m still deep in the final writing process of Part 2. I’m aware that the news of Matt coming back into to the band has taken many people by surprise so I’ll try to explain the situation a little better.

I do love Tim’s ("Ripper" Owens - ex-JUDAS PRIEST) voice and it is the kind of voice I hear when I write, and he’s a really cool person. And I do not want an unnecessary war of words started because certain journalists like to create controversy to sell their magazines. I love Tim as a person, a friend and a musician, and I do not have negative feelings towards him at all. We would all appreciate it if the trash pedlars would respect the situation and keep their venomous speculations to themselves. An unlikely request I’m sure, but it would be nice.

On the other side, Matt and I are brothers and there was a very deep and spiritual connection that came through in the music that we created and performed together over the years. Iced Earth has always been about passion and honesty in the music, I’m talking about real, raw emotion. That’s what has always made the relationship between the band and the fans a very special thing and it is the thing that made the chemistry that Matt and I had together so special. When we split before, our relationship had suffered from various things, but mostly it came down to not communicating like we should have, which led to things being blown out of proportion. All of that is behind us and we have grown and matured and will have an even more fulfilling relationship because of what we’ve experienced and learned from the past.

Iced Earth activities will be more limited now because Matt will still be carrying on his career as a law enforcement officer. I would rather we do it this way and have the shows that happen be very special events than to carry on and feel like what’s happening isn’t genuine. This is NOT a cut on Tim. It’s just that Iced Earth really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off. Those years of work and commitment defined what Iced Earth truly is, and frankly I would rather end it than to carry on without Matt involved. All of this has been coming to a head for a while, and the talks with the fans in Europe helped cement what I already knew needed to happen.

I wish only the best for Tim, this is not a standard bullshit statement, it’s the truth. A guy with so much talent and personality only deserves the best in life and that’s what I wish for him completely."

Like Iced Earth's activities haven't been limited enough in recent years.

Div
12-14-2007, 07:29 PM
On the other side, Matt and I are brothers and there was a very deep and spiritual connection that came through in the music that we created and performed together over the years. Iced Earth has always been about passion and honesty in the music, Iím talking about real, raw emotion. Thatís what has always made the relationship between the band and the fans a very special thing and it is the thing that made the chemistry that Matt and I had together so special. When we split before, our relationship had suffered from various things, but mostly it came down to not communicating like we should have, which led to things being blown out of proportion. All of that is behind us and we have grown and matured and will have an even more fulfilling relationship because of what weíve experienced and learned from the past.

wut :eyes:

ravenheart
12-20-2007, 01:18 AM
From Mr Owens in an interview with Clevescene.com:

"I was told 30 seconds before the news hit (online). I don't think it was handled right. It's a shame it ended like that. With Judas Priest, at least the way it was handled, I'm still good friends with the band. The good thing is, I don't have to discuss Iced Earth anymore. I can move on. I wish them luck. We're ready to go to the future."

Turns out Schaffer's thrown out Dennis Hayes as well (bassist, who is also in Beyond Fear with Ripper and in Winters Bane, whom Ripper is considering a new album and tour with if there's enough label interest).

Maiden33
12-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Are you telling me John Schaffer is a dick? This is complete news to me and never would've guessed it myself. :confused:

;)

ravenheart
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
More from Mr Owens:

More from Mr Owens:

"My last words on my departure from Iced Earth. Well, first off I would like to wish good luck to Jon (Schaffer) and the band. The news did come at a bad time (being two weeks before Christmas) and I really think it could have been handled in a much better way but I do completely agree that it needed to happen for IE and for myself. 'The Winds of change' really are upon me and that is exactly what I needed. With BEYOND FEAR being one of the best reviewed CD’s I have ever done, I'm really looking forward to getting the new CD recorded and released. The new one is sounding nice and heavy and it really is a step up from the last one, it's just straight forward metal. Myself, along with my manager Wendy Dio and all at Niji management are excited about the future. Once again, good luck to all the guy's that I've played with in IE over the last few years but let’s all just leave it alone now and end this chapter and close that book!

Thank you and keep it heavy,

Ripper

PS. I do think this attached poster says it all. Also, for all the WINTERS BANE fans, you can download the Heart Of A Killer CD on my MySpace page and also get the last Beyond Fear cd and a few other things as well!"

http://www.timripperowens.com/images/samson_ripper.jpg

I agree with Tim, actually. Beyond Fear is the best CD he's made since "Heart of A Killer" and the band really does deserve more of his attention. I'm really hoping to get to see them next year somewhere.

ravenheart
12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
And finally, from Mr Barlow:

"I'm sure that you are all well aware of things that are happening within Iced Earth, and a statement from me is well overdue. To that, I can only say that I am sorry for the delay, but there is good reason. Last week, following Jon's (Schaffer) announcement, my wife gave birth to our second son. Everything is well, but of course, those of you who are parents know how taxing the first week can be. During that time, after all things had begun to settle, I realized that there are a lot of things on my plate. At this point, I needed to address them. As you know, family always comes first. Of course, Jon knows that and understands my decision to leave Iced Earth four years ago. My wife and I wanting a family was a huge factor. Family, is also the reason for my return. There is a kinship that goes beyond the obvious. I will speak of that later.

First, I feel that I need to acknowledge my friend Michael of PYRAMAZE. If not for his inquiry and persistance in asking me to be a member of that band, I may not have realized how much I have missed and been missed within the metal community. In recent days, however, I have come to realize that my participation in Pyramaze cannot go beyond the recording of the bands current work. This is due in part, to the fact that I can't be all places at all times. Michael and I have discussed this, and have come to an understanding. I know that the future success of Pyramaze will not be based solely on individual performances of band members, but in the song writing and total performance of the band, which is excellent. I know that I will give everything I have to the record and will support Pyramaze on a lot of other levels.

Let me proceed on the topic of kinship. For a great portion of our lives, Jon and I dedicated our selves to creating music that pleased, angered, saddened, and inspired. Though it can be argued that my contribution was limited, I always felt very proud of what we accomplished with every song. Whether a song was about a true love, a best friend, a ghost, a devil, or a saviour; The songs that Jon wrote gave me the desire to engage each one on a very personal level. When Jon and I began to discuss the future of Iced Earth and his feeling on it's success or failure, he conveyed to me the desire to rediscover the passion of the songs that made Iced Earth so very special to so many people. In my journey of the last several years, I've had time to acknowledge that there are great stories yet to be told. Moreover, I have recognized my desire to be a part of those stories. As mentioned above, there are obvious time constraints where it relates to family, career, and music. One of those issues has already been addressed.

As for my career in law enforcement, it will continue as normal. Without going into specific detail, Jon and I will work on recording on my time between shifts. As Jon stated before, live performances will be more limited but grander in fashion. We will do our very best to get to the metal masses as often as possible. Jon understands that this schedule will be tougher to work with, but feels that it will be the best for the fans in the long run. There will be critics, no doubt. It has recently come to my attention that some people don't like the police ;-) Let's see if opinion can change on that issue!

As for the music, I will bring to Iced Earth the best performance possible. That has always been my desire, and I'm really excited to work with Jon and the guys again, to give you the best metal possible. If you think you're ready... let's do this!"

Div
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I kinda feel bad for Ripper but atleast he handled that well. Barlows rambling makes no sense whatsoever and doesnt really say much. And I don't care what he says, trying to play the role of a cop and a rock star at the same time is just retarted.