PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rock Band Thread

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 12:50 AM
So Rock Band came out a couple of hours ago.... did any one snag one at their 24x7 Walmart or a Best Buy Midnight?

Whether you did or did not, what are your thoughts on the game? Comparisons to Guitar Hero III?

ravenheart
11-20-2007, 01:05 AM
What's Rock Band?

SirLardsAlot
11-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Me and my friend will be picking it up approx at 11:30 in the morning and play for a few hours before heading home for spring break. The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoats are gonna fucking pwn.

SirLardsAlot
11-20-2007, 01:08 AM
What's Rock Band?

Oh Ravenheart, so silly. It's basically Guitar Hero, but with drums and a mic. Oh, and the guitars have buttons all over the neck for tapping.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Rockband-drumset.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Rockband-guitar.jpg

ravenheart
11-20-2007, 01:13 AM
I see. Apparently not out in this country until deep into next year.

I'm now trying to decide if it's the lamest thing I've ever heard of or not...

At least it helps bring rock music to the masses I guess.

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 02:08 AM
I see. Apparently not out in this country until deep into next year.

I'm now trying to decide if it's the lamest thing I've ever heard of or not...

At least it helps bring rock music to the masses I guess.

The masses have their rock music already. Is it any fun? That's a better question. For me, the Guitar Hero franchise certainly has been.

However, something amazing happened with Guitar Hero III at my house. My older brother has actually started to feel a little musical. He doesn't play on expert, mostly easy and medium. When he first started playing the game, he was as stiff as Motorhead Jeff at a concert. Within a couple of day, he had some minor headbanging going on. To a lot of you, that's no big deal. To the musically constipated, that's huge.

Personally, I think it's mistake to compare a guitar video game to the real thing. There's some value in the rhythm training but that's about it. Now, the drumming in Rock Band may be a little different. That may be a stepping stone into a real kit for some people.

metal_man1019
11-20-2007, 02:08 AM
I think they totaly ripped off the Guitar Hero idea, and I still like Guitar Hero better

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I think they totaly ripped off the Guitar Hero idea, and I still like Guitar Hero better

Did you know the 'they' who ripped Guitar Hero off are the developers responsible for the original Guitar Hero, GH 2, and GH 80s? Neversoft wrote GH III from scratch. In a lot of ways, Rock Band is the real GH III. :D

Right now, I'm looking forward to the drums on Rock Band, much less the guitars and voice. Besides having a lot vested (time and practice) in the Guitar Hero series, the demo guitars at Best Buys weren't good for me -- especially after spending a few days with the new GH III controller (which I really like, despite some issues here and there with it).

metal_man1019
11-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Did you know the 'they' who ripped Guitar Hero off are the developers responsible for the original Guitar Hero, GH 2, and GH 80s? Neversoft wrote GH III from scratch. In a lot of ways, Rock Band is the real GH III. :D

Right now, I'm looking forward to the drums on Rock Band, much less the guitars and voice. Besides having a lot vested (time and practice) in the Guitar Hero series, the demo guitars at Best Buys weren't good for me -- especially after spending a few days with the new GH III controller (which I really like, despite some issues here and there with it).

Ya I just realised that Harmonix made Rock Band. I really like Rock Band actaully its alot of fun, but I just prefer Guitar Hero

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 02:20 AM
For those curious about my Guitar Hero III skills, see my profile at guitarhero.com (http://www.guitarhero.com/accounts/274466).

ravenheart
11-20-2007, 02:33 AM
The masses have their rock music already. Is it any fun?

Yes, but it's not real rock music. It's Taking Back Sunday and My Chemical Romance and other such shit.

There's certainly the potential for the drum kit to be the new pots and pans replacement for kids who can't have a real kit. Depends how well it's done, I guess.

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Yes, but it's not real rock music. It's Taking Back Sunday and My Chemical Romance and other such shit.

There's certainly the potential for the drum kit to be the new pots and pans replacement for kids who can't have a real kit. Depends how well it's done, I guess.

Rock Band has Ramones, Blue Oyster Clut, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple, Rush, Aerosmith.... Guitar Hero (series) has a lot of similar names plus Les Claypool, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Moutain, Dio, Slayer, Pantera, Gun N Roses... I'll leaving a lot but you get the point. Both GHIII and Rock Band are using a lot of master recordings this time around as well.

The new pots and pans? :hecho:

Maiden33
11-20-2007, 05:48 AM
My friend said it best: "It would be nice if they invented some sort of game similar to Guitar Hero but in which you actually hook up a REAL guitar and actually learn to play the songs, rather than hitting 5 dumb colored buttons which encourage people to diminish the talent it actually takes to play guitar"

I couldn't agree more. Fun game, but it's really stupid.

ravenheart
11-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Rock Band has Ramones, Blue Oyster Clut, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple, Rush, Aerosmith.... Guitar Hero (series) has a lot of similar names plus Les Claypool, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Moutain, Dio, Slayer, Pantera, Gun N Roses... I'll leaving a lot but you get the point. Both GHIII and Rock Band are using a lot of master recordings this time around as well.

Precisely my point. The games are bringing real rock music to the masses instead of the crap they already listen to.

The new pots and pans? :hecho:

People who can't afford drum kits or aren't allowed one by the parents because of the noise, or space restrictions, have historically set up pots and pans from the kitchen and played on those.

Thought it was pretty self explanatory :eyes:

ravenheart
11-20-2007, 05:55 AM
My friend said it best: "It would be nice if they invented some sort of game similar to Guitar Hero but in which you actually hook up a REAL guitar and actually learn to play the songs, rather than hitting 5 dumb colored buttons which encourage people to diminish the talent it actually takes to play guitar"

I couldn't agree more. Fun game, but it's really stupid.

Spot on.

And tell him to download Guitar Pro. It's not a game, but you play along ;)

Maiden33
11-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Spot on.

And tell him to download Guitar Pro. It's not a game, but you play along ;)

:lol:

Yeah, it seriously gets on my nerves that my no-musical-talent friend thinks he's better than me because he can beat me on guitar hero.

SirLardsAlot
11-20-2007, 07:01 AM
My band is gonna be me and my friends Joey and Steve. The 3 of us are beasts at GH, we pwn Expert like it's nobodies business, but the two of them are a little better than I. So they get guitar and bass, I get drums :D I can't wait. We're heading out in 15 minutes :D

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
:lol:

Yeah, it seriously gets on my nerves that my no-musical-talent friend thinks he's better than me because he can beat me on guitar hero.

He is better than you.... at Guitar Hero. :D

SirLardsAlot
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Drums = harder than I thought. I'm gettin' decent with them though.

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I just scored a unit for PS3. However, now I have to pay my homage to The Man. The only thing worse than having Rock Band in your living room and having to go to work... is not having waiting in your living room when you get home from work. :tongue:

Fe Maiden
11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Me and my friend will be picking it up approx at 11:30 in the morning and play for a few hours before heading home for spring break.Holy shit!:eek: Spring Break already! Where did the Winter go?:eyes:;)

DethMaiden
11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I played it and found it very fucking hard.

SirLardsAlot
11-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Holy shit!:eek: Spring Break already! Where did the Winter go?:eyes:;)

Ooops, haha. I meant Thanksgiving break :tongue:

JRA
11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Now those are the idiots giving Guitar Hero a bad name and conujure up thoughts as to if this is going to ruin the music industry.

Anyways I tried playing "Gimme Shelter" on drums just to try the "real to fake" instrument expereince, what the hell! It was like the yellow button was broken! That stupid thing is a terrible timekeeper.

Div
11-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I have two things to say:

1.) This concept slays guitar hero's concept in many ways, all we need is some ways to add in your own songs, perhaps theyll keep releasing new ones each month and you'll be able to download them on xbox live or something.

2.) Unfortunatley there are some people out there with alot of unwarranted self importance who think they're too fucking cool to have fun playing a videogame. :bigfinger

hot_turkey_ed
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
2.) Unfortunatley there are some people out there with alot of unwarranted self importance who think they're too fucking cool to have fun playing a videogame. :bigfinger

:punk:

A toast to most excellent use of the bigfinger smiley!!!! :realchug:

Maiden33
11-21-2007, 05:44 AM
He is better than you.... at Guitar Hero. :D

All it takes for me to put him in his place is simply:

"Nick, I don't care if you can beat me at Guitar Hero, if there was a drum hero, it would kick your ass"

ravenheart
11-21-2007, 06:00 AM

There's nowt like a decent game to kick back with when you can't be bothered to do anything else.

Still sticking with a tiny plastic drumkit being lame, though.

SirLardsAlot
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
All it takes for me to put him in his place is simply:

"Nick, I don't care if you can beat me at Guitar Hero, if there was a drum hero, it would kick your ass"

Then get Rock Band! You can play just the drums.

hot_turkey_ed
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Then get Rock Band! You can play just the drums.

So far in Pavo-land, Rock Band is all about the drums. :fist:

The Strat feels very different, a little squishy to strum. I played the few couple of songs on expert and didn't feel much of a challenge. The timing window is a little different, I'm not used to its ho/po's yet.

So far, I've only been playing solo mode. Guitar Hero is much better at being Guitar Hero, although Rock Band is going to slay on multiplayer. I'm also digging the character customizations in Rock Band A LOT.

Div
11-21-2007, 06:57 PM
How does the singing part work out?

hot_turkey_ed
11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
How does the singing part work out?

We plugged in the mic to test it. It seems to work decently enough but I had zero experience with singing games. When you're not singing, you can tap the mic to simulate cowbell or tamborine.

On a totally different note, I'd liking Guitar Hero III's tracklisting more than Rock Band. GH has more metal.

SomewhereInTime72
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I haven't played this, but I got Super Mario Galaxy, and I feel like its tons funner than this could ever be. :party::party:

SirLardsAlot
11-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Rock Band is so fun with a full band. My band has me on drums, my friends Joey and Steve on guitar/bass, and my friend Jay singing. Jay's a really good singer, and when he knows the song, it makes even that much more fun. We're all home for Thanksgiving and won't be able to play until Sunday again, but what we did get to play was alot of fun. Drums are freakin hard to get used to.

BTW, I still think GH2 has the best tracklist.

hot_turkey_ed
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I haven't played this, but I got Super Mario Galaxy, and I feel like its tons funner than this could ever be. :party::party:

Super Mario Galaxy is on my want list. :cool:

Wrathchild_84
11-22-2007, 02:12 PM
My roomate got the whole set and i played it the other night. I thought it was fun, better than guitar hero but then again I hate guitar hero.

SomewhereInTime72
11-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Super Mario Galaxy is on my want list. :cool:

It's ridiculously awesome. My friend got Rock Band and I'm going to try it sometime soon. :cool:

SirLardsAlot
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
And yeah, I played Super Mario Galaxy last night, it was alot of fun!

JRA
11-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Please tell me there are other suits in that game besides the "Bee" suit. Holy crap what a stupid idea.

Div
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Just was over my friends house playing it, this game rocks :cool:

We downloaded the metallica package on xbox live that included justice for all, ride the lightning, and blackened. theyre pretty fucking hard.

SirLardsAlot
11-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah ... starting yesterday our band couldnt get any more fan unless I started playing on Expert drums .... first couple tier songs I can do ... some songs ... fucking rediculous.

Div
12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_wtmomakoo&feature=related :eek:

DethMaiden
01-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I think my brother and I are gonna buy this even though I can't do the drums for the life of me.

I'll get more songs for the guitar, and I'd like to try the singing feature.

Div
01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
i heard if u can play the drums on hard then you can do the song irl

SirLardsAlot
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
If that's true then I should get a real set :-P

SirLardsAlot
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Alright ... so me and my band just played about 15 songs with our singer, who rarely plays with us (hasnt since last semster) ... and on about 10 of them, we got top 10 scores (for each individual song) world wide. Fuckin sick :D

SirLardsAlot
02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeehaw! #1 score in the world for Juke Box Hero :D

Div
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
So next month theyre releasing Wrathchild over xbl, but its a friggen COVER of it and not the real thing! I was looking forward to trying to do vocals on a maiden song, but now its not even going to matter cause there will be some no talent asshole doing the vocals instead!

SirLardsAlot
02-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah all the Maiden songs from Guitar Hero / Rock Band are covers except for NOTB in GH3, which blows. Though RTTH is a decent cover.

SirLardsAlot
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Here's the list:

Song - World-Wide Score Rank

Juke Box Hero - 1st
Last Train to Clarksville - 4th
My Sharona - 6th
Fortunate Son - 8th
Gimme Three Steps - 9th
Won't Get Fooled Again - 9th

SomewhereInTime72
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I am proud of your Juke Box Hero rank. That song rocks.

SirLardsAlot
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Pure pwnage

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v199/233/24/1336350007/n1336350007_30025521_1150.jpg

JRA
02-14-2008, 04:36 AM
"Fat chicks in the front row" :lol: :lol: