Falling of The Edge of The World
Die Young
Heaven And Hell
--------------
Shadow of The Wind
Neon Knights

DethMaiden
11-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow, fuck Iced Earth for pulling that setlist.

ravenheart
11-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Shit, isn't it?

The sound was fantastic for all three bands, but that setlist blew.

DethMaiden
11-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Shit, isn't it?

The sound was fantastic for all three bands, but that setlist blew.

You're given that little time, you make use of it. Two songs not off of Framing Armageddon, and poorly chosen ones at that. Boo.

hot_turkey_ed
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Declaration Day gives me wood. :usa:

Bloodcurse
11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
You're given that little time, you make use of it. Two songs not off of Framing Armageddon, and poorly chosen ones at that. Boo.

You mean 3 songs not off Framing Armageddon...

ravenheart
11-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Declaration Day gives me wood. :usa:

That and Burning Times were the best ones.

I saw them play 45 mins at Sweden Rock, and thankfully Framing Armageddon wasn't out yet, so we only got Ten Thousand Strong. The rest was stuff like Jack, Pure Evil, Violate, The Hunter, Iced Earth, Vengeance Is Mine, The Reckoning etc.

ravenheart
11-11-2007, 06:07 AM

Equally, when you've only got 30 minutes, you don't pack 20 of them with new songs.

sneakbobcat
11-11-2007, 08:43 AM
You got fucked over with the setlists. We got better in Glasgow, I can't remember them exactly. They were all very similar.
For Lamb Of God we got:

Hourglass
Laid To Rest
Walk With Me In Hell
Ruin
Now You've Got Something To Die For
Blacken The Cursed Sun
Redneck
Black Label

Don't remember H&Hs but from that list you have we got:

The Mob Rules
I
The Sign of The Southern Cross
Voodoo
Drum Solo
Falling of The Edge of The World
Guitar Solo
Heaven And Hell

and quite a few more.

girnny777
11-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm glad I saw Heaven and Hell before they shortened up their set.

Human_Metal
11-11-2007, 10:50 AM
How can Lamb of God have more play time than Iced Earth? :confused:

Anyway, even if it's far from a dream Iced Earth set list i would still have enjoyed it. Framing Armageddon has really grown on me and to open with Motivations of Man/ Setian Massacre is awsome!

ravenheart
11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
How can Lamb of God have more play time than Iced Earth? :confused:

Anyway, even if it's far from a dream Iced Earth set list i would still have enjoyed it. Framing Armageddon has really grown on me and to open with Motivations of Man/ Setian Massacre is awsome!

Because they're way more popular in this country than Iced Earth.

That said, the crowd at an H&H gig is not a Lamb of God crowd.

ravenheart
11-11-2007, 12:51 PM
You got fucked over with the setlists. We got better in Glasgow, I can't remember them exactly.

Nothing wrong with the LoG setlist. And H&H are playing exactly the same set everywhere.

Div
11-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Iced Earth
19:00 - 19:30

Motivation of Man >
Setian Massacre
Burning Times >
Declaration Day
My Own Savior
Charge To Keep
Ten Thousand Strong

what a huge crock of shit. They shouldve played dantes inferno followed by travel in stygian. /set

although ripper would probably do a shitty job singing those.

SomewhereInTime72
11-11-2007, 04:04 PM
That Iced Earth set is an abomination.

ravenheart
11-12-2007, 02:21 AM
It's good that they're showing faith in their new album. Even though most people don't rate it, they should believe in it themselves, otherwise it's not worth making albums.

However, as I said, when you've only got 30 minutes, you don't flood the set with new songs. You do that when you've got a headlining slot.

Dante's Inferno, whoever said that, would be a stupid idea. Just as you don't play 20 minutes of new songs in a 30 minute set, you also don't play a single song that's going to take up half your time on stage.

wroed
11-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Agree with those setlists Andy, except Lamb Of God opened with Hourglass. I actually also wrote down Ashes Of The Wake too as they sing that repeatedly in Hourglass.

Here's our photos and review:

http://www.rockersdigest.com/default.aspx?mainact=2&artid=208

Div
11-12-2007, 08:38 AM
It's good that they're showing faith in their new album. Even though most people don't rate it, they should believe in it themselves, otherwise it's not worth making albums.

However, as I said, when you've only got 30 minutes, you don't flood the set with new songs. You do that when you've got a headlining slot.

Dante's Inferno, whoever said that, would be a stupid idea. Just as you don't play 20 minutes of new songs in a 30 minute set, you also don't play a single song that's going to take up half your time on stage.

I dunno man, I still think my set proposal is better than what they actually played.

ravenheart
11-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Agree with those setlists Andy, except Lamb Of God opened with Hourglass. I actually also wrote down Ashes Of The Wake too as they sing that repeatedly in Hourglass.

Here's our photos and review:

http://www.rockersdigest.com/default.aspx?mainact=2&artid=208

Good spot man, cheers.

My review will follow. I've spent today giving W.A.S.P. a roasting ;)

Random
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
The reason Iced Earth played this set was to generate as much interest in the band as possible.
The songs are shorter and simpler than a lot of their other stuff (such as Dante's Inferno, Travel in Stygian etc) and that makes it easier to attract new fans, as the songs are more accesible.
The average Lamb of God fan is 14-18 years old, and the sad truth is that they tend not to appreciate complex songs (no disrespect to L.O.G., but their song's aren't particually complex; they all tend to follow the verse-chrous, verse-chorus, middle bit, chorus; structure) so to play 10 minute songs when you're trying to break a new country (which Iced Earth are in the UK - and they've done a damn good job with this tour too!) isn't a wise move.
That's why they played simpler songs. Setian Massacre, A charge to Keep, Declaration Day all have a catchy chrous, but by playing some heavier (yet still simple, to-the-point) songs such as Ten Thousand Strong, My Own Saviour and Burning Times they're appealing to the "let's-just-shout-everything" crowd such as the typical L.O.G. fan.
Think about it, it's a wise move! And it's worked too. I was at the Newcastle, Manchester and Wembley shows (and am backstage at Bournemouth this sunday!) and the number of new fans they've picked up from this tour is over-whelming. And because of the hightened fan base they're making for themselves, a headline tour is WAY more likely for next year, where they'll then play all their longer songs and classics. :rocker:

Funny though, I was chatting away with brent Smedley (I.E. drummer) after the Manchester show for a good 30 minutes, and we joked that their set should've been Dante's Inferno and High Water Mark :tongue:
Next year, he was saying - after 'Framing Armageddon's' follow-up album - that they're gonna be touring the States aswell as doing a bunch of festivals, but they're hoping to get another European tour, and on THAT tour they're gonna play some headline shows in the UK - or at least that's the plan.
And that probably wouldn't happen if it wasn't for this tour and mass-appealing setlist.

Hope that's shone some light on the setlist for many of you.

ravenheart
11-16-2007, 01:57 AM
They could still have played a setlist of short songs and not played so much off Framing Armageddon. I made the "don't play Dante's it's too long for a support set" point already. But the point that you don't fill a 30 minute slot with 20 minutes of new material still stands, I think. And I don't think the new songs make it a "mass appealing setlist". Nobody's knows those songs, and they're not very good anyway!

I don't think playing loads of new songs was a wise move at all. Not in a short set. They should have played the single, for obvious reasons, and Charge To Keep because it's sufficiently different. Then played short, heavy, old songs, plus Declaration Day, which is always immense.

There's also no need to appeal to the average LoG fan because none of them went to the shows! Seriously there were about six LoG fans in Wembley Arena. There were WAY more IE fans there.

LoG were the ones with the struggle on their hands, not IE. It was a power/trad metal crowd. IE were fine. You could tell by the cheers which greeted the old songs. LoG had the uphill battle because trad metal fans are so narrow minded, in general. And on queue most of them went to the bar.

Can't wait for a proper IE show though! I've seen two short shows this year and after the cancelled '04 tour I still need a real show!

wroed
11-16-2007, 07:20 AM
There's also no need to appeal to the average LoG fan because none of them went to the shows!

I encountered quite a few between tube station and Arena. We turned up quite early and were over by the box office where quite a few people in Lamb Of God shirts were collecting or purchasing tickets.

ravenheart
11-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Nowt compared to the IE fans in attendance. Or the old-man quota there just for H&H.

DarkTwilight
11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
think about it, it makes TONS of sense for an american band to goto the UK and play declaration day =p

Div
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
think about it, it makes TONS of sense for an american band to goto the UK and play declaration day =p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Random
11-17-2007, 12:51 AM
If you look at the song lengths of the set, the old material took just as much stage-time as the new, so they didn't play 'loads of' new songs.
Fair enough they COULD'VE played less new and more old but they're touring in support of the new album so they wanted to play a semi-decent amount of it.

And I don't agree that there were more IE fans than LOG fans. There was definately more LOG tshirts walking around. But H&H fans tended to prefere IE to LOG so IE got the bigger cheer of the two.
Let's put it like this: there were more LOG fans going in, but there were more IE fans coming out!! :rocker:
I do agree though that LOG had an uphill climb from the start - they really don't suit the tour. But they were put on to bring in the younger crowd, which they did, so from a marketing POV they worked.

I think IE still had enough time to squeeze in one more song (as their set lasted 25 mins of the allocated 30) such as Violate, Jack, Dark Saga etc (I would say Last December but we all know Jon dislikes that album. They were gonna play it around Europe but pulled it out of the set).
I asked Brent about this and he said that they had used this set as a sound check whilst touring Europe and that the tour promoters were very strict that they weren't to increase it - so blame them not the band for that as they wanted to squeeze one more in.