PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Politics in Modern Metal

ChildrenofSodom
10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I have been browsing the interwebs for the past few days and have realized something: there are not many bands out there today that address political/social issues. Back in the 80s and 90s, almost every bad had at least one song that made a statement. Nowadays, metal bands are either focused on partying, fantasy, or history.

I am looking for some songs to make a music video of (for broadcast journalism) and aside from Nevermore, Megadeth, Napalm Death, and Behind Enemy Lines, I can't find any that really make a statement against the current policies of the government. Is there some goldmine out there that I am missing, or is that just the sad state of the genre?

powerslave_85
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
I can't really think of any metal bands who I'd want to hear a political song from. There just aren't that many good lyricists in metal nowadays. That said, I think Maiden's "The Legacy" makes a pretty good anti-war statement, althought it's not explicitly referring to current events.

hot_turkey_ed
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Lamb Of God? System Of A Down?

ChildrenofSodom
10-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Lamb Of God? System Of A Down?

Yeah, SOAD has a few good ones out there, but I dont care much for any one song too much. And Lamb of God are :barf:

zgodt
10-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Fantasy and history lyrics have political content too. Not necessarily a direct allegory of current events, but at least a reflection of what the lyricist favors and/or fears regarding power relations and the like.

Div
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
dont forget the new megadeth album :tp:

and yea, The Legacy can be applied to current events, but like ps85 said, it's not really coming out and saying anything directly about current events.

hot_turkey_ed
10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Cattle Decapitation. PETA loves these guys...

GWAR... maybe not so much in their albums but definitely their shows.

Otep. See Warhead song.

Kreator. See Enemy of God album.

Slayer. See Jihad.

Fe Maiden
10-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Dream Theater has some.

Wrathchild_84
10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
My band but I'm not ready to release what we have recorded so far.

ADD
10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I think there are way too many actually.

ravenheart
10-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Fightstar's new album, believe it or not, is loaded with social commentary. I fucking hated their first one. Thought they were an awful band. But their new one is awesome.

DethMaiden
10-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Wasn't it Scott who said everything is political, whether directly or indirectly? I'm in on that line of thinking.

ChildrenofSodom
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Wasn't it Scott who said everything is political, whether directly or indirectly? I'm in on that line of thinking.

Maybe, but I need some real direct lyrics to put behind footage of me burning Bush, Clinton, Giuliani, and Kerry in effigy.

Div
10-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe, but I need some real direct lyrics to put behind footage of me burning Bush, Clinton, Giuliani, and Kerry in effigy.

amon amarth - death in fire

powerslave_85
10-29-2007, 07:32 PM
For crying out loud, just think outside the freakin' box for once and pick something other than metal.

ChildrenofSodom
10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
For crying out loud, just think outside the freakin' box for once and pick something other than metal.

Fuck you. If I listened to a large amount of nonmetal, then I might consider using a nonmetal song. But seeing as how I listen to metal, I am looking for a metal song. If you dont have any suggestions, then try not to be a douchebag and refrain from posting.

And to be honest, I guess I dont even really need any suggestions from anyone. I was merely commenting on how complacent the modern metal scene is when it comes to current events. Shit, Green Day is more hard-hitting than most thrash bands today.

ChildrenofSodom
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Thinking about doing Revolution Calling, some Nevermore, or Peace Sells.

powerslave_85
10-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Okay, perhaps I worded that a bit harshly, but you obviously have a good idea of what you want your project to be like, so why would you limit yourself by being forced to pick a sub-par metal song just because you don't want to bother looking a little deeper?

ChildrenofSodom
10-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Okay, perhaps I worded that a bit harshly, but you obviously have a good idea of what you want your project to be like, so why would you limit yourself by being forced to pick a sub-par metal song just because you don't want to bother looking a little deeper?

I can only work with what I know. Its not that I am only limiting myself to metal, its that i only listen to metal. I am not well-versed in nonmetal. On that subject, any political nonmetal in mind?

TonyD
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
This is why I hate politics... whenever it enters a conversation, someone ends up pissed
even if its about politics in metal

ADD
10-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Thrash + politics = horrible except for a few exceptions. Besides, politics is the lamest topic I think any band can write about, lamer than dragons. I could probably count on one hand the number of good "political" music artists there are, not even confining it to just metal.

ChildrenofSodom
10-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Thrash + politics = horrible except for a few exceptions. Besides, politics is the lamest topic I think any band can write about, lamer than dragons. I could probably count on one hand the number of good "political" music artists there are, not even confining it to just metal.

So no one should give a shit about their situation, their country's situation, or the world's situation? Everyone should just sing about partying, dragons, and women? We should just quit caring and turn the blind eye? Music is arguably the most important medium throughout a message can be conveyed, whether that message be politics, self-glory, or dragons.

EvilCheeseWedge
10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
As my band sort of fell apart this summer, and gradually picked back up as a new sort of project, one of the things we've grappled with is how to handle political content. For instance, the vocalist has kind of advocated politics as a main focus, right down to the name. My friend, a multi-instrumentalist, is relatively indifferent to the whole thing (he just wants to make music) and I'm somewhere in between. We definitely write songs with political content, but I'd hesitate to make that the objective, because I'd rather not end up like Rage Against The Machine where the message becomes more important than the music. I'd rather see some sort of balance struck.

Art is intrinsically connected to politics and I don’t see a problem with that. I think we’re forgetting that political art isn’t necessarily, “I hate Bush” or “vote for this” or whatever.

Plus it all boils down to people will make art based on what they’re passionate about. If that something is political in nature, then by all means that shouldn’t stop them.

ChildrenofSodom
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Plus it all boils down to people will make art based on what they’re passionate about. If that something is political in nature, then by all means that shouldn’t stop them.

Exactly, which is my main point, not many bands are passionate about politics.