PDA

View Full Version : Fates Warning

Fe Maiden
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Any fans here? What albums do you like best and why?

Hecho: I already know you like Awaken The Guardian:horns:

JRA
10-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Hecho: I already know you like Awaken The Guardian:horns:

I don't think he comes here anymore.

Anyways, I have been wanting to get that album, Spectre Within and No Exit.

ADD
10-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Ya know, that album never really clicked for me strangely.

Fe Maiden
10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Ya know, that album never really clicked for me strangely.I did not figure you to be a Fates Warning fan anyways;)

ADD
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I did not figure you to be a Fates Warning fan anyways;)
:tongue:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I love Alder/Fates Warning. don't care for the Arch era.

faves:

Parallels, Inside Out, Disconnected and FWX.

why? hell I don't know. just like their brand of prog metal/rock. Alder's a great singer.

Maiden33
10-18-2007, 07:39 PM
The first four with Alder have always caught my ear... No Exit, Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and Inside Out.
My personal favorite without a doubt is Parallels though. See my review on Metal-Archives.com for my full thoughts (username: MindRuler33), but generally, I just love the songwriting (catchy, melodic) and the playing is superb. Theres also not a single flaw on that album in regards to writing, performance, or production. A top 20 album in general for myself for sure.

zgodt
10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I love Awaken the Guardian. To me it's one of the top 10 albums of 80s metal, specifically because of John Arch's singing. He composes his melodies in unique and sophisticated ways. His voice itself isn't that great; but some of the things he does with it are, to me, breathtaking. (The first song on Awaken the Guardian, "The Sorceress," is my favorite example.)

I love No Exit too. That's the album that got me hooked on Fates Warning back in the day (actually it was seeing the video for "Silent Cries" on Headbangers' Ball). In terms of voice, I'd say Ray Alder has a better instrument than John Arch but doesn't play it as well.

I never really heard their later albums except for A Pleasant Shade of Gray, which bored me.

Maiden33
10-19-2007, 05:42 AM
I nearly fell asleep when listening to the majority of Disconnected, but "One" is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard. That prechorus/chorus gets stick in my head for days.

Fe Maiden
10-19-2007, 06:15 AM
"One" is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard. That prechorus/chorus gets stick in my head for days.I have to agree with you there! Love that song!

Fe Maiden
10-19-2007, 06:17 AM
I never really heard their later albums except for A Pleasant Shade of Gray, which bored me.This is one of their albums that I don't have. You don't make a very convincing argument for me to get it!;)

Maiden33
10-19-2007, 06:29 AM
I have to agree with you there! Love that song!

Yeah, first time I heard the song was not long ago in the car when my friend and I were on our way to see Symphony X and I remember waking up the next day and just thinking:
"Everything we are, everything we see, take a part of you, take a part of me... Knowing at a glance, where we all stand, waiting for another chance - to make us all one"
And it will still attach itself to my brain for extended periods of time now.

Maiden33
10-19-2007, 06:31 AM
This is one of their albums that I don't have. You don't make a very convincing argument for me to get it!;)

I will also put my :2cents: in with that. APSOG has it's moments but it just doesn't grab me. Most of the songs fail to go much of anywhere, which makes the album feel over-long and anticlimactic.

Fe Maiden
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I will also put my :2cents: in with that. APSOG has it's moments but it just doesn't grab me. Most of the songs fail to go much of anywhere, which makes the album feel over-long and anticlimactic.I've heard it can be a bit deep, dark , and depressing???? Hence, maybe, the use of the "grey" theme????

Maiden33
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I've heard it can be a bit deep, dark , and depressing???? Hence, maybe, the use of the "grey" theme????

Yeah, its got a generally morose sound to most of it. It makes a decent album to put on if you're looking for backround music to occasionally notice, but not really what youd want if you're looking for an album that's really gonna be an interesting and entrancing listen.

EvilCheeseWedge
10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I have their neweset album (X or something?) I enjoyed it. Recommend me more and I will check it out!

Fe Maiden
10-21-2007, 07:36 AM
I have their neweset album (X or something?) I enjoyed it. Recommend me more and I will check it out!You must mean FWX. I would recommend No Exit, Perfect Symmetry, or Parallels from the Alder era.

Maiden33
10-22-2007, 06:05 AM
I have their neweset album (X or something?) I enjoyed it. Recommend me more and I will check it out!

In this order:

Parallels
Inside Out
Perfect Symmetry
No Exit

Can't go wrong with any of the 4, but that's the order I recommend them.

Fe Maiden
10-22-2007, 09:22 AM
In this order:
Perfect Symmetry
No Exit
Parallels
Inside Out
I'd order them a bit differently:D

EvilCheeseWedge
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM
You must mean FWX. I would recommend No Exit, Perfect Symmetry, or Parallels from the Alder era.

Yeah, FWX. I was drawing a blank the other day... cool thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out.

Fe Maiden
10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, FWX. I was drawing a blank the other day... cool thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out.I think you'll like them especially Perfect Symmetry!

Fe Maiden
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, its got a generally morose sound to most of it. It makes a decent album to put on if you're looking for backround music to occasionally notice, but not really what youd want if you're looking for an album that's really gonna be an interesting and entrancing listen.I think I'll get it just to make my collection complete.

Angelripper
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyone a fan of A Pleasant Shade of Gray?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Anyone a fan of A Pleasant Shade of Gray?

It has some good but not great songs on it.

Maiden33
10-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Yeah, FWX. I was drawing a blank the other day... cool thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out.

A Queensryche fan like yourself should certainly enjoy the 4 albums I and FeMaiden recommended. Not that Fates is a Ryche clone or visa versa, but close enough that it should definately strongly appeal to you.

Fe Maiden
10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
A Queensryche fan like yourself should certainly enjoy the 4 albums I and FeMaiden recommended. Not that Fates is a Ryche clone or visa versa, but close enough that it should definately strongly appeal to you.:light:

Maiden33
10-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, it's relevant, might as well bring it up...

Who here likes Redemption? Thoughts?

Fe Maiden
10-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Well, it's relevant, might as well bring it up...

Who here likes Redemption? Thoughts?I think es156 likes them. APSOG, which I now have, is not really bad but not really great either. Enjoyable listen though.

Maiden33
10-26-2007, 06:11 AM
I think es156 likes them. APSOG, which I now have, is not really bad but not really great either. Enjoyable listen though.

Yeah, pretty much what I think.

I got into Redemption back in 2004 with the self-titled album with Rick Mythiasan on vocals and Jason Rullo on drums. I liked it but wasn't thrilled with it. When Origins of Ruin was announced I downloaded the clip of The Suffocating Silence and liked it a lot, but wasn't inspired to buy the album until I found it in a used bin back in like April. I picked it up, and I'm really really glad that I did, because I love the album.