PDA

View Full Version : Question (especially for Nick)...

zgodt
10-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey Nick -- wasn't it about this time 2 years ago that both Coheed & Cambria and Thrice were coming out with new albums that we expected to be spectacular, and they both ended up being... well, disappointing?

I saw you yawn in the NP thread about one of the new C&C songs, and the 2 they put up on myspace seem decent, but nothing breathtaking. Meanwhile Thrice is streaming their whole album on myspace and after sampling about 6 tracks I have to say... :zzz:

Why do so many bands grow progressively shittier over time?

powerslave_85
10-15-2007, 09:35 AM
I completely lost interest in Thrice a while ago. As for Coheed, I tried listening to the new album last night, but I ended up turning it off about halfway through. Completely dull.

I just think that some bands get so stuck in their ways with certain formulas that they become boring carbon copies of themselves, or, in the case of C&C, sacrifice catchiness and good songwriting for ridiculous overblown concepts and "epicness."

JRA
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Why do so many bands grow progressively shittier over time?

Age? Record Comapny BS? Too much money and pussy?

overkiller
10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I feel like even great rock and metal artists generally only have so much creative talent, and they tend to use it all up on, say, one, two or a handful of wonderful/great/good albums. There are no Bachs or Beethovens running around nowadays, but we still get fragments of that kind of power in the great rock and metal albums we all love so much.

ADD
10-15-2007, 11:48 AM
There are no Bachs or Beethovens running around nowadays

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hof-pike.jpg

DethMaiden
10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
There are very few people who can put their name on damn near fucking anything and have it rule to some degree.

But then again, who those people are largely depends on taste. I think Peter Gabriel and Robert Fripp are infallible. But that's just me.

ADD
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
There are very few people who can put their name on damn near fucking anything and have it rule to some degree.

That's the definition of a great musician for me.

JRA
10-15-2007, 05:46 PM
http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hof-pike.jpg

and that is?

zgodt
10-15-2007, 07:18 PM
and that is?

Beethoven. :tp:

Nah, I think it's Matt Pike.

zgodt
10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I think Peter Gabriel and Robert Fripp are infallible.

Hmmm. I've never heard anyone who's infallible. Even Tom Waits and Ani Difranco have some bad songs.

zgodt
10-15-2007, 07:24 PM
There are no Bachs or Beethovens running around nowadays.
I'm not really sure what that means. On one level, of course not, because those cats were a product of their time and place, and thus can't be reproduced here and now (someone writing the "Moonlight Sonata" now, say, would sound pretty stupid and old-fashioned).

But to say there are no composers running around now of equal talent and merit? How would we know? Not like all of us are listening to the latest cutting edge symphonic music...

zgodt
10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I completely lost interest in Thrice a while ago. As for Coheed, I tried listening to the new album last night, but I ended up turning it off about halfway through. Completely dull.

I just think that some bands get so stuck in their ways with certain formulas that they become boring carbon copies of themselves, or, in the case of C&C, sacrifice catchiness and good songwriting for ridiculous overblown concepts and "epicness."

Thrice didn't become boring carbon copies of themselves. They've definitely evolved... they've just evolved toward a more plodding, more sentimental, and ultimately boring style.

With C&C... they've always had those faults (the entire concept is such hogwash, and their lyrics are puke) but I don't think they sacrifice catchiness for "epicness." They try hard to have both, and sometimes that works, and occasionally it may not. For me they run into trouble when they try to get all sappy and mellow. Then their shit becomes unbearable. Their last album I love... provided that I skip the same 4 to 5 horribly cheesy tracks every single time I put it on.

JRA
10-16-2007, 07:31 PM
By the way Scott, you everyone here 3 bucks. :D

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=164971&postcount=4

zgodt
10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
By the way Scott, you everyone here 3 bucks. :D

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=164971&postcount=4

:confused:

JRA
10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
:confused:

Well, Van Halen did make it past Canada...

zgodt
10-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Well, Van Halen did make it past Canada...
They don't have any Canadian tourdates listed until December...

...oh. I had overlooked Toronto.